PDA

View Full Version : Help!!

mcdonaldv89
January 14th, 2016, 05:41 PM
I now have hip length hair after a trim on Dec 2nd. The damage seems to be unreal that occurs in a month :( any advice insight changes that need to be made because of length. I stopped washing so often honestly because it's a hassle but oil it and comb through every day because of negative Temps dry air naturally dry curly hair. I take multivitamins and supplements but my ends don't last like they used to please help!!

spidermom
January 14th, 2016, 06:33 PM
Do you wear it in buns with the ends tucked under? That helps a lot. It sounds like you're taking good care of it.

picklepie
January 14th, 2016, 06:35 PM
Oils can build up pretty quickly, and can be difficult to clarify out. What kind of damage to your ends are you seeing?

mcdonaldv89
January 14th, 2016, 06:38 PM
I do tuck the ends and bun it every day for work :( im very sad at this im on day 3 of no washing and theyre still dry... I dont know what to change... I even wear a bandana to protect baby hairs from hard hat... sleeping caps weekly deep treatments silk sleeping cap. I'm at my wits end

mcdonaldv89
January 14th, 2016, 06:39 PM
Splits and dryness and only in the top layer of hair

mcdonaldv89
January 14th, 2016, 06:40 PM
But holy crap it seems so severe lately

Jo Ann
January 14th, 2016, 11:03 PM
Maybe a different oil or an oil blend would help? I use a blend of Argan, avocado, grapeseed and sweet almond oils (http://www.walmart.com/ip/Spring-Valley-Organic-Moroccan-Argan-Oil-Serum-Dietary-Supplement-2-fl-oz/46342028) , that I get from Walmart, every other day. My hair is MBA and I separate it into four sections (two top and two side) and apply five drops to each section from about ear-level to ends, focusing on the ends, every other day. I also use coconut oil on my hair after I WCC, when my hair is wet.

picklepie
January 14th, 2016, 11:52 PM
What happens when you clarify and then use conditioner? Most oils make my hair crispy.

lapushka
January 15th, 2016, 03:11 AM
Start over. Clarify, use a good thick moisturizing conditioner. Possibly use the rinse-out oil method. The link is in my signature. Basically, what you do is wash your hair, then take 5 to 10 drops of an oil (any oil, I use MO), spread it between palms and distribute through the very ends (or ear down, up to you). Then rinse it out, and use your conditioner as normal. Style as usual.

Daydreamer.
January 15th, 2016, 04:31 AM
Be very gentle with your ends and try using a hair mask/deep conditioner on your ends often.

meteor
January 15th, 2016, 10:45 AM
mcdonaldv89, there is some great advice on this thread already... I'll just add that when I stretch washes and the dryness is so intense, every night or every other night, I simply wet my hands (or spray water on hair) and then spread a dollop of conditioner/cream and a couple drops of oil (to seal moisture) on my canopy with hands and a comb, kind of like a mini-LOC. I think this should help you, since you mention that the dryness is on canopy only.

Also, for seasonal dryness, humidifiers can do wonders. Otherwise, you could put bowls filled with water near heaters.

I'd be careful with oils that solidify in cold weather - things like coconut oil, palm oil, cocoa butter, shea butter. If you like to use them, dilute them with oils with higher melting point temperatures.

Also, make sure you are protecting your canopy hair from rubbing against wool/flannel materials (collars, scarves, hats, hoods), by lining them with silky smooth materials or wrapping your hair in a silk scarf before putting on warmer and rougher materials.

Another thing: when it's super-dry with negative temp. and heaters, humectants (e.g. honey, aloe, glycerin...) can be a bit problematic. Try limiting their use to shower (where humidity is high) because they draw moisture to themselves, and in super-dry environments they could draw moisture out of hair. And in wintertime, I'd go heavier on occlusives (e.g. silicones, oils) over damp hair to "lock in" moisture. Check out "oil rinses", adding oils to conditioners and "sealing" with oils.

Techmouse
January 15th, 2016, 04:56 PM
Do any of the products you currently use have protein in them? This sounds like what my hair does when it comes in contact with protein shampoos/conditioners/treatments.

mcdonaldv89
January 16th, 2016, 05:05 PM
Sadly I do all of this, switch between oils, clarify before my scalp gets overly itchy, deep condition very regularly as I have not the best job environment for this length of hair and my extra deep treatments are coconut oil mixed with a bunch of other oils and conditioner. Oil n comb it before work do to dirt snags tangles when having to bun it dont want it kink in or breaking plus oils keep the dirt from really attacking me makes grease and things easier to getnout... I can't believe it would be just the weather. I'm really at a loss

mcdonaldv89
January 16th, 2016, 05:07 PM
No proteins my hair doesn't like them at all

AJNinami
January 16th, 2016, 08:33 PM
Do you do too much to your hair? I also second the humidifier idea. The supplements and vitamins will only affect the hair growing at the roots, not the ends. It may be that your ends have been around since before you started taking vitamins for them. I would also make sure you're varying your buns.

mcdonaldv89
January 17th, 2016, 04:22 PM
I can't vary much it has to sit in an exact place in my hard hat or I cant get it on my head :/ I actually trim my hair once every other month because I do still color my shadow I even had a treatment done at the salon when I was there last... smh Iay have to get a humidifier...

Obsidian
January 17th, 2016, 04:37 PM
My hair doesn't like protein either and coconut oil acts very much like protein, it makes my hair brittle. I would suggest to stop using coconut oil and switch to something light. I recently started using peanut oil or grapeseed oil, my hair really seem to like both.