PDA

View Full Version : Perks of fine hair?

CreatureBailey
January 13th, 2016, 11:29 PM
Hewwo. :D I would like to see a list of perks of having fine hair, or thin hair! Like, even if it's really long!

I want reasons to not discourage myself when my dear pal Bailey here *points at hair* is being...well...Bailey.

:agree:

Sarahlabyrinth
January 13th, 2016, 11:48 PM
Softness, shine and silkiness. Being able to freely run hands through hair..... NOPE.

CurlyCap
January 14th, 2016, 01:16 AM
Soooooooooooffffffft

stelz
January 14th, 2016, 02:31 AM
I read a book, pure superstition, but it said that soft, straight silky hair is an indication of a trustworthy friend. It went on to say that some other hair types should be shunned! Madness, but it might give you an edge with people who actually believe that stuff.

Also softness, shininess, what everybody else said.

Mirabele
January 14th, 2016, 02:42 AM
softness, shine, silkiness, movement.. :)

lapushka
January 14th, 2016, 06:08 AM
I have no clue... I have a few normal, medium strands in there, because once in a blue moon I shed one or two. And then the structure seems so rough to me. I don't know what the advantages are to fine hair, really. I grew it out like normal hair and never had issues with it, so... It's that you don't know anything else.

kganihanova
January 14th, 2016, 06:24 AM
More hairstyles sooner

calmyogi
January 14th, 2016, 07:25 AM
I think a perk to having fine hair, if it's not overly thick as well, is that it's probably easier to care for and have long. I have several friends with very thick hair, a coworker whose ponytail is 3" around, and they wish their hair was like mine because it's easier to put up, isn't so heavy that it's over heating in the summer, and you don't have as much weight in up dos, Also my hair dries pretty fast.

ET: (when I say 3" around, I mean her diameter is 3")

Nadine <3
January 14th, 2016, 09:06 AM
Mine is baby fine and really thin. I've never had an issue with my hair being too heavy. I see thick hairs ladies complaining of head pain from their lovely thick buns and I'm glad I've never had to deal with that. It's also really soft and shiny!

ChloeDharma
January 14th, 2016, 09:49 AM
It's cheaper, bottles of conditioner, hair oils etc last me quite a long time as it doesn't take so much to cover my hair with them. Also weight as others have said, buns never get heavy for me. The feel is nice too, I've had a few compliments from people stroking my hair particularly just after it's been washed saying how soft and silky it feels.

pailin
January 14th, 2016, 10:28 AM
My fine hair isn't thin so I don't get any advantages of needing less product or more updos sooner. I use a ton of conditioner and I'm only not-quite-waist. The tangles are awful, and the flyaways. But as mentioned above, it IS soft, and people who do touch it usually comment on that :)

Stray_mind
January 14th, 2016, 10:30 AM
I guess what everyone else already said. Soft, silky, easier to care, looks longer optically and is easier to put into an updo, also, you need smaller ammounts of products to care for your hair..

lapushka
January 14th, 2016, 01:56 PM
I think maybe we need to make a distinction (yet again) between F hair and i/ii/or iii hair. I have F hair, but iii, so I don't think I am facing the same issues as say a finey with i hair (my mom for example). I can definitely see the struggle is real with her hair. It is far more delicate, is what I mean.

missrandie
January 14th, 2016, 02:58 PM
Each strand is lighter weight! So, longer lengths without feeling the weight as quick as somebody with thicker strands and the same number of hairs

lapis_lazuli
January 14th, 2016, 03:09 PM
Well, thinner hair tends to look longer than thick hair at the same length! :) I spent a lot of my childhood wanting thinner hair for that very reason ;)

mermaid lullaby
January 14th, 2016, 03:46 PM
You guys will never have to deal with the ends sticking out of your buns and I also notice that your fine hair stays in updos better.

chen bao jun
January 14th, 2016, 04:38 PM
I think maybe we need to make a distinction (yet again) between F hair and i/ii/or iii hair. I have F hair, but iii, so I don't think I am facing the same issues as say a finey with i hair (my mom for example). I can definitely see the struggle is real with her hair. It is far more delicate, is what I mean.

Yes, do you mean advantages of fine hair or fine, thin hair?

I was assuming you meant fine and thin, because that is what people usually complain about. People with fine hair, but a lot of it, tend to be happier (though they complain too. We all do).

When I think of fine, thin hair, I think ethereal hair. Floaty, very attractive, like fairy hair.

I also definitely think soft hair, which mine is NOT.

It will grow, in spite of being delicate, there are a lot of fineys on here that you can look at for inspiration. You can look at the fine thin hair thread for some. Or the small buns thread--not everybody on there has fine hair, but a lot of them do and they have beautiful updoes.

AspenSong
January 14th, 2016, 04:41 PM
Well if we're talking Fine AND thinner hair, which I have....I guess a perk is definitely that at past knee length I can do anything with my hair and never get a head/neck ache because my hair is So light. Also, I can use the same pair of 5" Eads that I bought when my hair was above waist. I haven't really had to get rid of more than a handful of toys as my hair has grown, because my bun hasn't exploded as the length got longer because it's not that thick and it is so fine on top of it.

brickworld13
January 14th, 2016, 04:45 PM
I can use humongous parandas because my buns are not that large to begin with. My hair compacts A LOT.

roseomalley
January 14th, 2016, 08:21 PM

I agree with Lapushka. There is a big difference in hair that is F i/ii or iii. My hair is baby fine and thin. Yes, it is extremely silky and soft but also very fragile. I have to be very careful with it in order not have it break.

sparkbunni
January 14th, 2016, 09:40 PM
I think we're less likely to have combs/barrettes/what have you break in your hair

yahirwaO.o
January 14th, 2016, 10:03 PM
Well it's likely to be silky, super soft and shiny. Washing, drying, styling is way faster.

Mine is the right between thin and thick. Yet it's pretty fine like a cat's fur.

The thing about updos not being heavy, heck it depends on the person really, on my head it feels heavy and annoying!

... and I can get away with not using conditioner. My natural hair sebum-oils keep it nice and moisturized!

kaeide
January 15th, 2016, 02:09 AM
Aside from using less products, and having silky smooth hair all the time, thin fine hair fits into a bald cap much easier. :laugh:

Brunettebybirth
January 15th, 2016, 02:13 PM
Mine doesn't take forever to air dry. It feels silky to the touch like a puppy's coat most of the time too.

Nettyx
January 15th, 2016, 03:05 PM
for me the bonus is I have stealth hair. It compacts down to a small bun so when you take it down it surprises people with the length. It also takes a while to grow out of a hair toy so that is almost money saving too.

Diana_Prince
January 15th, 2016, 04:20 PM
What a great idea for a thread! I'm gonna go with softness. It sometimes annoys me how slippery my hair can be and I stop to remind myself: there are far worse things than having soft hair!

Nadine <3
January 15th, 2016, 04:44 PM
You guys will never have to deal with the ends sticking out of your buns and I also notice that your fine hair stays in updos better.

My hair is fine and thin and it springs free of my buns all the time. Those ends are crazy.

yahirwaO.o
January 15th, 2016, 06:14 PM
My hair is fine and thin and it springs free of my buns all the time. Those ends are crazy.

Same here, especially if my hair is bunned in my natural straight texture!!!

Clarkie
January 15th, 2016, 06:26 PM
for me the bonus is I have stealth hair. It compacts down to a small bun so when you take it down it surprises people with the length. It also takes a while to grow out of a hair toy so that is almost money saving too.

"Stealth Hair"....that's awesome! My DH says my hair feels like silk. My sister-in-law can't get over how soft my hair is.

pailin
January 16th, 2016, 12:19 AM
I think we're less likely to have combs/barrettes/what have you break in your hair

I think this might only apply to fine thin hair.... My hair has broken lots and lots of combs and brushes over the years, although not recently since I'm more careful/patient detangling these days. Or maybe just because I've learned which kinds are harder to break.

MandyBeth
January 16th, 2016, 01:30 AM

Hrm, not for me with literally cat fine and thin hair. I've had very thick hair, and I still break toys at the same rate. I can't wear spirals or dymondwood as my hair snaps those on sight. I also shatter plastic about as easily. The problem is to get my slippery hair to stay up, it compacts down so tightly that toys break.

However, that ability to torque down means the buns I can manage at shoulder/collarbone of lazy wrap and some kind of weird disc attempt will generally stay up if put up slightly damp, then I take the stick out in an hour.

Arctic
January 16th, 2016, 03:35 AM

Same here, especially if my hair is bunned in my natural straight texture!!!

I don't know what the commenter (sorry I forgot who it was) meant, because I don't think ends sticking out of hairstyles are related to any one texture, but maybe she meant that even if the ends stick out of the bun, they bend and "flop" elegantly with fine hair, instead if literally sticking out. I've had both fine hair and med-coarse-ish-wiry hair in my life, so I've experienced both, and I think the sticking out issues are like night and day.

For example I cannot wear peacock twists at all: my hairs just rigidly stand up and don't form that attractive waterfall effect at all. If I take a shed hair (the coarser, the more it does this) and hold it from one end, it defies gravity for several centimeter before it gives in and bends towards the floor. My fine hair didn't do that. So if the comment meant something like this, then I agree: coarser hair sticky outies look more explosive and wild than finer hair sticky outies.

Arctic
January 16th, 2016, 04:37 AM
I think fine hair has one quality that makes it the most beautiful of all hairtypes. Fine hair tends to look like a sheet of liquid silk; the individual strands are so tiny that eye can't often really register them, so the whle hair looks like one silky, liquid waterfall.

mermaid lullaby
January 17th, 2016, 08:58 AM
I don't know what the commenter (sorry I forgot who it was) meant, because I don't think ends sticking out of hairstyles are related to any one texture, but maybe she meant that even if the ends stick out of the bun, they bend and "flop" elegantly with fine hair, instead if literally sticking out. I've had both fine hair and med-coarse-ish-wiry hair in my life, so I've experienced both, and I think the sticking out issues are like night and day.

For example I cannot wear peacock twists at all: my hairs just rigidly stand up and don't form that attractive waterfall effect at all. If I take a shed hair (the coarser, the more it does this) and hold it from one end, it defies gravity for several centimeter before it gives in and bends towards the floor. My fine hair didn't do that. So if the comment meant something like this, then I agree: coarser hair sticky outies look more explosive and wild than finer hair sticky outies.

I think everyone was commenting on my comment. Yes, that is what I was thinking :)

Nadine <3
January 17th, 2016, 01:49 PM
Just thought of another thing! I got 12 dip dyes out of one jar of manic panic! I have at least 2 left in the jar lol

Amapola
January 17th, 2016, 04:43 PM
Aha! I have one that has not been brought up yet. :)

When you have thin fine hair, and you start going grey, NO ONE CAN TELL. I've been going grey for years. Take a look:
<- Doesn't look like it, does it? Over and over people tell me I'm not going grey. Um. Yes, I am. It's just that my hair strands are so fine, you can't see the grey ones. :lol:

Diana_Prince
January 17th, 2016, 04:59 PM
Aha! I have one that has not been brought up yet. :)

When you have thin fine hair, and you start going grey, NO ONE CAN TELL. I've been going grey for years. Take a look:
<- Doesn't look like it, does it? Over and over people tell me I'm not going grey. Um. Yes, I am. It's just that my hair strands are so fine, you can't see the grey ones. :lol:

Ooooh I like that one!!

pailin
January 17th, 2016, 05:37 PM
Here's another one, especially if you feel lazy about housekeeping: sheds are less visible on the floor.
Color affects this too, but texture is part of it.

Diana_Prince
January 17th, 2016, 06:09 PM
Here's another one, especially if you feel lazy about housekeeping: sheds are less visible on the floor.
Color affects this too, but texture is part of it.

Until you find it all wrapped around your vacuum's brush roll lol or am I the only one who has to regularly cut that off of there's?

Kwebb831
January 19th, 2016, 02:34 PM
This thread has made me think very differently about my hair. Thank you all for helping me appreciate my fine and thin hair. I definitely always envied the gorgeous oceans of thick hair. But this really made me feel great.

I'd have to agree the softness is my favorite. I play with my hair pretty much any time it's not in a braid.

sarahthegemini
January 19th, 2016, 03:29 PM
My hair is stupidly fine but it always feels so damn silky and soft.

hanne jensen
January 20th, 2016, 02:26 AM
I have baby fine hair but a lot of them. The one advantage to fine hair is I can get away with diluting everything. Poos, conditioners and serums. They still work on me. My hair products last forever.

Irialii
January 20th, 2016, 03:12 AM
Like everyone has said, soft hair that shines so much it can cause glare.

But the knots... the knots are real and they are a nightmare.

Daydreamer.
January 20th, 2016, 03:19 AM
It's very soft and silky.

Frankenstein
January 20th, 2016, 06:28 AM
One of the perks for me is shorter detangling time.

Anje
January 20th, 2016, 02:18 PM
Blindingly shiny (especially darker hair), and it doesn't take all that long to airdry.

And yes, most days I'm happy to not have a head-eating, neck-cramp-inducing, can't-wear-my-hair-up-in-the-car-without-leaning-the-seat-back monster bun.

maborosi
January 20th, 2016, 07:47 PM
I have fine hair (but a lot of it). I do get the compaction when it's wet, but it doesn't look thin when it's dry.
So I don't get the thin hair benefit of updos not feeling as heavy. But I get the benefit that each individual hair is less coarse, so my updos aren't are heavy as they would be if my hair were coarser.

For fine hair in specific, here's some stuff I like about it:

-When it's well taken care of, it's soft- like a fluffy bunny soft. I always like to think of a fine wool sweater.
-It's shiny. Same as above- when it's well taken care of, it's SHINY.
-It looks ethereal- 'nuff said.
-It's more forgiving. My sister, with goregous C hair (that's also iii) doesn't like wearing bangs because they have to be perfect for her, or they look 'off'. I have finer hair, and when I trim my bangs, my mistakes look less noticeable.

Some cons:

-It's more fragile and weak. I have to be careful with it.
-It gets weighed down easily, so I have to be mindful of what I use.
-It can be prone to wispies and flyaways. This isn't really a con for me because I like my wispies on my hairline, but I know it's a pain for some people.
-Nobody really wants it. Nobody wants fine hair- I grew up being told to 'not grow it long' or that it's 'too thin and flyaway' to look good long. People constantly want thicker, coarser hair. It gets a lot of hate from people, but it can look beautiful and healthy and be soft. You just have to care for fine hair a little more gently.
-Knots.

MsBubbles
January 20th, 2016, 07:55 PM
Being able to wear it down in the summer. Living in Georgia (the US State), it gets very hot and humid. My hair never feels like it's stifling me, too thick, too hot or heavy on my back. It's just kind of floaty and very, very light. (ii thickness). I like that aspect of it.

lapis_lazuli
January 20th, 2016, 08:08 PM
It has a kind of gracefulness to it... :)

MsPharaohMoan
January 20th, 2016, 08:40 PM
Floaty hair looks really cool when it gets longer, pooling and puddling along curves...

TheGray
January 20th, 2016, 09:48 PM
As someone with fine, thin hair this thread has been very encouraging! I guess I never took the time to notice and appreciate that my hair is really soft and shiny. Of course, I still wouldn't mind a little more thickness though :p

Ellethwyn
January 20th, 2016, 11:20 PM
You're less likely to get overheated if you wear your hair down in the summer. I've heard people who have thick hair complain about how they are too warm with their "blanket" of hair down.

Angelica
January 23rd, 2016, 06:01 AM
None at all. Not if you are stick straight haired, thin and fine. Up dos don't look anything. I would happily swap silky soft hair for a nice thick head of hair.

MandyBeth
January 23rd, 2016, 10:28 AM
Like everyone has said, soft hair that shines so much it can cause glare.

But the knots... the knots are real and they are a nightmare.

Blindingly shiny (especially darker hair), and it doesn't take all that long to airdry.

And yes, most days I'm happy to not have a head-eating, neck-cramp-inducing, can't-wear-my-hair-up-in-the-car-without-leaning-the-seat-back monster bun.

Just for evidence - my phone doesn't have flash. That glare is just from overhead LED light. It's a 60 watt equivalent bulb.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=20967&d=1452914302

AutobotsAttack
January 23rd, 2016, 04:08 PM
Well as many people have said before already, mainly just extreme softness and shine, and its super lightweight
Like, my hair is so baby fine that it feels like plush most times than not. And of all the buns I do I can't even feel them on the back of my head. So there are some neat perks

Techmouse
January 23rd, 2016, 06:41 PM
Those of us with fine hair generally use very small amounts of any given product at a time, so a rather expensive product can be made to last a long while. Thus, the price per use is lowered to a reasonable level. Yes, I'm cheap and have to justify all hair purchases to myself.

jrmviola
February 7th, 2016, 01:59 PM
Perk of FTL Fine thin hair: when i get tired of it being in the way and dont want to put it up, i just tuck it in my hip pocket :)