PDA

View Full Version : How to make buns more taut?

lapis_lazuli
January 12th, 2016, 02:06 PM
Hi everyone :waving:
So I just recently started using hairsticks to put my hair up. I've been doing the lazy wrap bun but lately just can't create enough tension for it to stay very long. I can feel that it's loose on my head. :mad: It stays if I don't move around too vigorously but it's mostly my OCD around how it's not solid that bothers me. I used this wikihow article for instructions: http://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Lazy-Wrap-Bun
If anyone can offer me tips to create tighter buns, that would be so great! Also, I'm open to trying other 'beginner' ;) buns if you have suggestions.
Thank you!!! :flower:

lapushka
January 12th, 2016, 02:24 PM
Don't make the loop around your fingers too big. Ever since cutting in different layers, my hair has compacted, and I went (had to go) from a bigger loop to a smaller one, my LWB had become too loose as well. Experiment with the size of the initial loop!

parkmikii
January 12th, 2016, 02:26 PM
I'll be watching this thread as I am interested in this as well :D

Anje
January 12th, 2016, 02:29 PM
I agree with Lapushka on the smaller initial loop. The other thing that makes a huge difference for me is to twist the hair a couple times for that outer loop (even if you don't twist the inner wrapped part). I usually do this at least a bit because it helps the updo hold better throughout the day, instead of sagging lower and looser as time passes.

lapis_lazuli
January 12th, 2016, 02:33 PM
Oh, I didn't think of that :D Thank you, Lapushka! Although, I'm not sure how much smaller I can make the initial loop... I only wrap it around one finger as it is but I will try. I will also try twisting as well, thanks Anje!

Is there any technique to maneuvering the hairstick and sticking it through that I may be missing?

missblueeyes
January 12th, 2016, 02:34 PM
Just be careful not to tighten the bun too much. :) If it's too tight, frequent bunning can cause breakage and hair loss. If you can't fit a small finger between your hair and your scalp or if you have to force your stick through the bun, it's too tight.

lapis_lazuli
January 12th, 2016, 05:34 PM
Thanks for the tip, missblueeyes. Argh, I still can't quite get the hang of it - I'm worried all this bunning and unbunning is damaging to my hair :( I want to get it right on the first try. Does anyone else have any advice? :undecided

EdG
January 12th, 2016, 06:00 PM
Maybe try a different kind of bun. The nautilus holds well. I can get a cinnabun to hold well with two sticks.
Ed

cathair
January 12th, 2016, 06:08 PM
Thirding it's all about the size of the loop. Sounds like something about the way you make the bun could be off. Are you looping the loop you make with one finger right round all the other hair, or is it sitting on top? I am surprised you can make one with one finger at your length!

If you can't make the loop any smaller, you could try making the hair toy bigger. Something that is wider around, has more prongs or using more than one stick will make it tighter also.

lapis_lazuli
January 12th, 2016, 06:13 PM
Thirding it's all about the size of the loop. Sounds like something about the way you make the bun could be off. Are you looping the loop you make with one finger right round all the other hair, or is it sitting on top? I am surprised you can make one with one finger at your length!

If you can't make the loop any smaller, you could try making the hair toy bigger. Something that is wider around, has more prongs or using more than one stick will make it tighter also.

I'm not quite sure I understand. I make the loop around my index finger and then wrap the hair around it... I'm not really sure if it ends up sitting on top :hmm:
Also, what did you mean you're surprised I can make it with one finger at my length? Should I be making it with more fingers? Wouldn't that make it bigger, instead of smaller which I've been advised is better? Sorry, just confused :p

cathair
January 12th, 2016, 06:32 PM
I'm not quite sure I understand. I make the loop around my index finger and then wrap the hair around it... I'm not really sure if it ends up sitting on top :hmm:
Also, what did you mean you're surprised I can make it with one finger at my length? Should I be making it with more fingers? Wouldn't that make it bigger, instead of smaller which I've been advised is better? Sorry, just confused :p

Hmmm, I've been looking for a video to back me up, now I am not sure if my bun is a lazy wrap or a nautilus. I don't know. Anyway...

It looks just like this, but I put a stick through the middle at the end...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVkg9TJDrL4

I would make it by... wrapping my hair around my finger(s) to make a loop, then wrapping the rest of my hair around the based of the loop. The the loop gets opened up, and pushed back over the hair I've just wrapped around the base. The loop around the edge hold the whole thing up, it would stay like that even without a stick. The loop around the edge gives it stability. Then I put a stick through the centre part of the bun, but not through the outside loop.

I'm not sure I or the page you linked explain it very well!

But if you are only wrapping it around one finger, that doesn't sound like the loop is big enough to go around all the hair you wrapped. You hair is much thicker than mine and about the same length. I used 2 - 4 fingers, depending on what hair toy I am going to put into the bun.

I hope that's some help :D

lapis_lazuli
January 12th, 2016, 06:38 PM
Thank you, cathair! I will try it tomorrow. :D And don't worry, you explained it well. Thanks!

cathair
January 12th, 2016, 06:39 PM
You're welcome, good luck! :)

Kimberly
January 13th, 2016, 02:48 PM
If I don't weave the stick in and out and get plenty of scalp hair, the way I would with a cinnabun, LWB won't hold for me. It holds better if I don't jab through the outside hair, but looks better if I do. The key for me is to grab some scalp hair, then go through the center blob, then catch more scalp hair on the other side. Otherwise, it usually explodes, droops, and pukes my hair toy onto the ground.

lapis_lazuli
January 13th, 2016, 03:23 PM
If I don't weave the stick in and out and get plenty of scalp hair, the way I would with a cinnabun, LWB won't hold for me. It holds better if I don't jab through the outside hair, but looks better if I do. The key for me is to grab some scalp hair, then go through the center blob, then catch more scalp hair on the other side. Otherwise, it usually explodes, droops, and pukes my hair toy onto the ground.

I find the same thing happens for me :laugh: My hair is extremely picky about the technique of how I insert the hairstick. I'm getting better at it though... slowly but surely :p I think scalp hair is the key, too.

meteor
January 13th, 2016, 04:31 PM
I definitely agree with making the loop smaller, as well as with twisting hair before or during bunning as a way of tightening the bun: so for example, instead of a LWB you get a Gibraltar Bun (it's like a twisted LWB), which provides tighter hold.

Another thing that can help a lot is braiding hair before bunning it: braided LWB (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DKLqSQWZos) or braided cinnabun or braided nautilus or braided L-Infinity bun or braided Spidermom's (double-loop) bun, for example. It usually tightens the hold significantly and is very helpful for slippery or explode-y kinds of hair.

Also, I think Haartraum's video tips on different ways of doing a LWB (with or without thumb, for example) is very helpful (sorry, it's not in English, but the bunning tips she shows are pretty clear from video alone): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltIpMdKZu9g

Ve
January 13th, 2016, 05:28 PM
Otherwise, it usually explodes, droops, and pukes my hair toy onto the ground.

This sounds so funny, I never knew it could do that, I guess I am one of the lucky ones that even at APL I can just twist, tie in a knot and it stays..too much volume and frizz and I dream of that bouncy swinging hair.

Kimberly
January 13th, 2016, 06:49 PM
This sounds so funny, I never knew it could do that, I guess I am one of the lucky ones that even at APL I can just twist, tie in a knot and it stays..too much volume and frizz and I dream of that bouncy swinging hair.

I can tie my hair in an overhand knot, like a knot bun/comet bun and that will stay, but the LWB just didn't come naturally to me. My hair is fine and weighs very little and doesn't have much oomph. If a hairtoy isn't woven in and lodged very firmly, my hair won't hold it up. It would be like asking a puff of candy floss to hold up a block of ebony ... smush!

pailin
January 13th, 2016, 08:04 PM
I often make my 'lwb' with only one finger in the loop, but the loop then sits on top (and my hair's not nearly as long as yours) and I think it's really more of a bee butt or cinnabon rather than an actual lazy wrap bun. It holds fine with one stick as long as it isn't center held. If I do more of a proper lwb with the loop going around the outside, center held, it never stays with a stick (but a ficcare/fakkare will hold it).

school of fish
January 14th, 2016, 07:32 AM
Yes to all the LWB advice you've been given here - I've found I've had to adjust in various small ways as thickness has travelled down my length and as slippiness has increased with greater moisture retention. Lots of good suggestions above :)

As for other buns, the Pha bun is a rather tight one by nature. In fact you have to be careful in the initial setup to keep some space between your stick and your scalp, so that there's enough room to make the twist and weave the stick in without popping strands at the root! The stick itself takes a fair bit of tension as well, so maybe practice with a not-so-valuable stick just in case ;)

lapis_lazuli
January 15th, 2016, 10:48 AM
Thank you all for your continued advice! :) I tried something different today and I think I found the key to creating a tight LWB (for myself). Before, I was maneuvering the stick too low (near my nape) before sticking it up and through. Now I move the stick down and up near the middle of the back of my head and it's been working great! I hope I continue to get good results using this method. I thought I'd post my findings here in case anyone else is struggling.