PDA

View Full Version : Style suggestions?

HeartofHaleth
January 11th, 2016, 11:38 PM
Hello!
I'm looking to expand my pretty pitiful repertoire of styles, buns and updos in particular. My hair is on the long side of waist length, but it's also a bit on the thick side, so things with a lot of wrapping and coiling are tricky. What are some of your favorite hairstyles that might work for this length?

Seventy7
January 12th, 2016, 12:03 AM
The disc bun (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=132596) is often a good place to start. Check out the other posts at that board for a lot of styles with pictures and tutorials.

I now wear the hypnobun a lot too, I love how stable it is.

mwallingford
January 12th, 2016, 02:44 PM
I think I'll just stalk this thread for a little while:popcorn:... I'm on the same boat you are HeartofHaleth! (admittedly mine is not exceedingly thick). I just recently was able to do a nautilus bun and a cinnabun held with two jaw clips is my go to bun.

lapushka
January 12th, 2016, 03:11 PM
Your basic LWB (lazy wrap bun). Or a Nautilus bun, which is pretty easy if you have the length for it, which for a ii should work at beyond waist, I think.

HeartofHaleth
January 12th, 2016, 10:43 PM
I'll try it...I couldn't do the hypno-bun. My ponytail is 3 1/2 inches when measured, so it's not technically thick, but it is on the thicker side of things. Unfortunately, my only hair stick just broke, so I'm going to have to start improvising with knitting needles and reshaped pencils until my new one comes in the mail.

Agnes Hannah
January 13th, 2016, 09:53 AM
A male friend of mine has hair at Classic, it is quite thick (thicker side of ii) and wavy. He wears his in a caterpillar braid.

EdG
January 13th, 2016, 10:47 AM
The lazy wrap bun is a popular choice (even though I can't get it to work). I see more lazy wrap buns on LHC'ers than any other kind.

The nautilus bun holds very well. Your hair should be long enough for a nautilus bun.

I like the cinnabun. It works very well for me. The cinnabun can be tricky because it requires twisting, coiling, and putting in the sticks in such a way as to prevent rotation.
Ed

Anje
January 13th, 2016, 11:01 AM
Heidi/Milkmaid braids are an interesting way to switch it up. At waist, you might find they work better if you cross them behind your head before you bring them over the top. :)

meteor
January 13th, 2016, 12:01 PM
What kind of look are you going for, HeartofHaleth? With that length and thickness, lots of options are possible, I think... :) If you just want hair out of the way, the Lazy Wrap Bun or the Disc Bun (if the hair is too thick/short for the LWB) are good staples. Also, Gibraltar Bun, Pha Bun, Orchid Bun, Knot Bun, Cinnabun, Figure-8/Infinity may be doable, depending on how slippery or cooperative the hair is. :)

If you are into braids, your repertoire can be expanded dramatically: crown braids, milkmaid/heidi braids, horseshoe braids, Amish braided bun, Ellingwoman braided bun, Interlaced Dutch Braids, Braided Tuck, the Masara, French Pinless Braided Bun, Braided Chinese Bun, etc etc... (Please let me know if you need any help finding video tutorials for any of these, I'll post links, if needed :) ).
Also, here's a thread with a list of updos that I think can be of help: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=82713

HeartofHaleth
January 14th, 2016, 12:33 AM
I'm just looking for a nice, easy bun that can keep my hair all cozy and safe. The disc bun and nautilus bun are both pretty good; I tried the infinity bun and that seemed alright too. For pretty purposes I love the Ellingwoman bun! I seem to have a bit of trouble with some of the basic buns; my hair always seems to get all tangled up as I finish and put the stick in. Hopefully my revised hair care plan will help with the tangle-prone-ness, though.

Duchess Fuzzy Buns
January 14th, 2016, 12:38 AM
Spidermom's Bun is another one to try. It's easy and holds well for me. I know there's tutorials for that one on youtube as well. :)

stelz
January 14th, 2016, 03:15 AM
What happens when you try a French Twist or French Slide? That's an easy one, and you'd have an impressive roll back there.