PDA

View Full Version : Am I the only who......

yahirwaO.o
January 11th, 2016, 10:28 PM
...can't do or struggle like a crazy person with damn high pulled back style without going nuts????

Granted I'm a guy, have been trying for years getting a neat perfect high pony-bun in a successful manner (think performance dancers style), so far my results have failed miserably or when it works the sudden shedding becomes more obvious and my hair tangles (when its down hardly ever tangles!!!)

Its either annoying bumps, sore scalp from tangle and manipulating a lot my hair during wrapping the elastic or brushing part, hair product suppose to hold only makes it hard to comb-smooth, etc!

I've done every technique in the world, flipping my head upside down, smoothing a million times with the brush to get it lay smooth, spraying hairspray or gel on damp hair, starting with braid waves, sectioning, watch youtube videos.... Ugh!!!!

I think most women do this for granted and don't seem to have this problem, still LHC people usually have a nice advice for me!

It could be a combinations of various factors: Hair naturally slippery, already tender scalp with a little scar going on, not getting nice pins!!!!

I can do a low bun or pony in 5 seconds straight without a problem that holds all day and doesn't hurt! and i can french-dutch braid too, so I dont think its a skill problem after so many years.

Guys I need some comfort here because I feel stupid!!! :(

rhosyn_du
January 11th, 2016, 10:54 PM
I can't help with the tangles or the sore scalp, but I can help with the bumps. The trick is to make your high bun without worrying about preventing bumps from forming. Once your bun is completely secure, insert a thin hair stick or the tail end of a rattail comb under the top layer of hair near the scalp directly in front of a bump. Then slowly drag it back toward the bun to smooth out the bump. A single bump can take several passes of the stick to smooth out, and the technique takes some practice, but it works wonders.

bunneh.
January 12th, 2016, 03:00 AM
I have all those problems and rarely wear my hair up high. There's one bun I've been doing for years that doesn't pull or bother me too much, but high ponytails are a nightmare.

Lauraes
January 12th, 2016, 04:23 AM
I have the same problems, so don't feel bad. I gave up on trying to do high ponytails and buns a long time ago. Even if I managed to force my hair into a high updo (causing lots of tangles and broken hair in the process), it would droop almost immediately and cause pain.

I don't think it's due to bad skills because even my mom, who went to cosmetology school, would have a hard time getting my hair in a high ponytail. She'd have to wrap the elastic around my hair so tightly to get it to stay up that I'd have to take my hair down within an hour due to the horrible headaches that would result. I think hair type has a lot to do with it. My hair is very slippery and fine, but also heavy.

Swan Maiden
January 12th, 2016, 08:33 AM
I have issues with high buns. They never stay; they explode or start sagging backwards while pulling at my front hairline.

Would you try something else besides an elastic? A stick or silk scrunchie?

Eta: also sometimes if I need a high hair style i will lay on the edge of my bed and do it that way. It tangles less than flipping your head upside down.

browneyedsusan
January 12th, 2016, 08:44 AM
It could be anything. Some styles work, and others don't. Just work with what you can do. :)

Slip gives me some trouble.
French braids are impossible because they loosen and sag in minutes, but dutch holds better. I can't cinnabun at all. Ever. (There aren't enough hairpins in the world to corral the slithery mess!) I've lost hairties and hairpins randomly; braids become ponytails, and styles disintegrate. This months SOTM didn't work, even with a ponytail base and 3 spin pins.

It's all good. You've got lots of other stuff you can do? :)

Nini
January 12th, 2016, 08:47 AM
For me it made a big difference when I switched to combs instead of a paddle brush. I use a widetooth comb at first, to get it all in the general direction I want it to go. Then I smooth over with a fine tooth comb. All while evenly spreading the tension of the hair.

Can't be taught, must be learned by doing;)

yahirwaO.o
January 12th, 2016, 10:29 AM
rhosyn_du I never knew about that trick thanks :cool: Since I began this long hair journey, basic things came super hard for me at first, hope can master this trick!

bunneh and Lauraes Its great to know there are some people here with same problem. And both of you have a very similar texture to mine! That's why I usually wear my hair down, low pony or in a side fishtail braid because that's what my hair copes with better. And I have received comments about my low bun looking granny ish, another reason im trying to switch to higher buns. (have no problem at all with grandmas around the world :cool:)

Swan Maiden That's another trick i'll give a try. Yes both sticks and forks slip out of my hair :(. I usually do scrunchies for pony bases but got me some good hair ties that two loops are enough to hold my hair thus making my scalp more comfortable! U pins are the only thing that can make my buns presentable and great. Elastic buns look quirky on me! LOL

browneyedsusan We both have super slipery hair!!! I can french braid with it damp but still it kinda loses too, there are days even with pony base I can't do nothing besides wearing it down. Lace braiding the sides help making my front short pieces lay better. Another reason to try high buns, well they have a stronger visual aspect at front side of my face, low stuff usually looks way severe and lace-accent braids are hardly noticeable because my hair is super dark.

Nini I comb with my wooden brush and continue with my BBB still its so obnoxious my hard struggle up until this day!!! I prefer not to use fine combs because they are super harsh on my strands! Don't get me wrong, Im giving more tries until I get it.

I have to add something else and a general question for you. I notice my low pony-buns looks way more full than my supper contained higher pony, believe it has be something with my length, the low back part of my hair barely touches the higher part of the elastics and bumps happen, does this happened to someone else at some point? Excuse me, but im a guy and even some basic things can come very new to me!

Todd
January 12th, 2016, 12:42 PM
I've never been able to do a high ponytail. All attempts just led to lots of hair pulled out and lots of tangles.

browneyedsusan
January 12th, 2016, 01:56 PM
rhosyn_du *snip*.

I have to add something else and a general question for you. I notice my low pony-buns looks way more full than my supper contained higher pony, believe it has be something with my length, the low back part of my hair barely touches the higher part of the elastics and bumps happen, does this happened to someone else at some point? Excuse me, but im a guy and even some basic things can come very new to me!

I don't know if I understand what you're asking?
Most of the thickness is in back. Hair is finer, thinner, and sometimes shorter up around your face. it makes sense that is you use the bulk of the thickest part, it'll look thicker. :)

yahirwaO.o
January 12th, 2016, 09:51 PM
I've never been able to do a high ponytail. All attempts just led to lots of hair pulled out and lots of tangles.

Yes man! Every time I try very same thing happens. And you certainly you have the lenght I used to have (and texture) even then my attempts were a joke

browneyedsusan Im aware of that but somehow those bumps are the back hair that don't quite make it into the bun thus creating a very petite pony-bun- I think I should mesure my thickness again with both low and high pony just to make sure. That is of course with a lot of manipulation going on.. Oh dear.

Two examples my mom and aunt can make a great high bun in less than a minute. My aunt has lovely wavy super thick BCL hair and it looks like it coisl itself without a lot of effort. Mom has APL culy hair and has so much grip everytime I braid her hair it stays intact without securing. My hair on the other hand, even with braid waves is still damn silky. I hadn't consider something, teasing, never done it but I know how bad is for hair, still I can create some grip. Damn!!!

Duchess Fuzzy Buns
January 12th, 2016, 10:01 PM
It's not just you, I have issues with high ponys and buns too. That bubbling thing happens to me. It happens also when I try to start a dutch or french braid up higher than I normally do. The sections I take in just don't want to lay smoothly towards the braid.... I will try rhosyn_du's trick and see if that helps. :hmm:

hanne jensen
January 13th, 2016, 03:06 AM
yahirwa, I have the same type hair as you and it's slightly longer. I like my updos on top of my head as my updos are too heavly lower down. I fingercomb my hair and make a pony at the top of my head by just holding my hair. I do get some kinks and bumps but don't really worry about them. I use U shaped hairpins to hold my bun.

I can't figure out how to post links, but if you search for inverted braiding here, Madora created a thread about it. A very comfy updo and easy to do.

Entangled
January 13th, 2016, 06:53 AM
I also have a difficult time with high buns, which is hard because they look better on me than middle of the head buns. Ponytailing it first makes the back a lot less saggy, and bumps go away enough if I brush it upwards, but I still wish I could find a way to do it neatly short of doing a braid up the back of my head to the bun. I also have the soreness issue, especially if my hair's dirtier. Actually, a high bun is right on the problem area of my scalp. The top back of my head takes much longer to dry, flakes a lot, and gets sore more easily than he rest of my hair. I think the hairs are closer together there. If I don't ponytail it first, my scalp will hurt less, but the back of my hair will be messier and that messes with the compulsive perfectionist part of me.

Kimberly
January 13th, 2016, 02:24 PM
I struggled with high buns for a long time, but it got easier as my hair got longer, and now they hold better for me than a low bun. High bun still looks smaller than a low one, though.

spidermom
January 13th, 2016, 02:45 PM
Yep, you're the only one.

Not.

Amapola
January 13th, 2016, 06:13 PM
First of all yes, this is a struggle! I do a high bun at night for sleeping. I bend down, bring the hair forwards towards the ground, detangle and make a cinnabun at the top of my head. I fix it with spin pins. There are always lumps... SIGH. But! I keep getting better at it and the thing is, I'm practicing with a sleep bun so no one sees it except DH. And he does not worry about the bumps. Some day... Some wonderful day, I will get it smooth.

In the meantime, if I put my hair I up kinda high but not all the way up, and my hair is not smooth when I get done, I take my wooden comb and just carefully comb my hair that is not in the bun. I do not let the comb pick up any of the hair, I'm using it in a smoothing motion. Normally that takes care of the lumps and bumps. It also hides those odd "parts" that show up now and then and display my scalp.

Yosha
January 14th, 2016, 03:53 AM
High buns or ponytails are way too painful for me. The lower ones actually are too, but I can wear them like that for a few hours. I just consider my hair too heavy in combination with a sensitive scalp. Also, the more slippery your hair is, the faster a bun will sag and the quicker it becomes painful. So it's a combination of things. Lower buns are painful because they tend to sag too, just not as fast. What helps is spreading the weight, so not using one hair pin/stick that takes all the weight, but use several pins. I'd go for the larger pins. Spin pins work very well for me (they suddenly stopped working for me when my hair got longer, but a friend sent me longer spin pins which are perfect). Also, when you're growing out your hair sometimes something that didn't work before works (certain buns or pins) and certain buns and pins suddenly won't work. Lots of things that I see other people wearing on the forum don't work for me. It's just because hair can be so different for everyone, when it doesn't work for you adjustments only work so far, that's just how it is.

The longest I can make a higher bun stay is when I make a half up and then coil the rest of the hair around it, or braided buns. I love messy buns but they tend to pull faster so I hardly wear those. Just try out things, there's always something you can do with your hair that your relatives won't be able to pull off as good as you, and you'll find it by working with your hair instead of against it.

yahirwaO.o
January 15th, 2016, 07:11 PM
lauren_alia I did that little trick with a low pony and it does work, but I think for a higher thing is going to be impossible and painful! Great to know you struggle too.

hanne jensen I've done inverted braiding, but my hair is so fine and compacts a lot, the whole thing looks like a little nut on my head LOL. Yes for home duties or sleeping I do the same and use U pinsbut feel totally dumb going outside looking like that.

Entangled You totally nailed the perfectionist part!, I dont like sagging or bumps coming undone throughout the day.It seems you can work with it fairly ok!

Kimberly I was thinking of growing more, but i'm totally a hem perfectionist that I don't know if letting some inches more would fit me right now.

spidermom Great to see that!!!! LOL

Amapola That seems to be fairly reasonable! The smoothing part is my biggest challenge.

Yosha I love kitty signature and avatar!!!!!!! :magic: Thanks for sharing your great opinion.
I have decided that I'll go back to my simplistic low sleek buns and ponies instead of trying to do something it takes a lot of time and patience. Damn I even notice some damage from the pony holder last time, so high and tight stuff is going to be totally out of business now. Maybe in the future if I want more length, might give it a try.

Out of topic but Im somwhat happy because I measure my both high and low pony again. Low pony measures 2.75 inches that means a tiny bith more 6 cm. That is more when I joined this site, so YAY!. And my high pony got trouble but confirmed my theory of why it gets much more thin (less than 2 inches). I'm now fully average thickess versus last year!!!

Entangled
January 15th, 2016, 09:46 PM
What keeps coming back to my mind is some sort of comb to go at the base of the bun and stay there, kinda like French twist combs, but to keep the back of the hair smooth. Sometime I'd like to try that.

woodswanderer
January 15th, 2016, 10:07 PM
I gave up on high updos, which is a shame because it would distribute weight better. I can't handle the root pain when I take my hair down, and the root pain can last the whole next day for me.

yahirwaO.o
January 15th, 2016, 10:21 PM
What keeps coming back to my mind is some sort of comb to go at the base of the bun and stay there, kinda like French twist combs, but to keep the back of the hair smooth. Sometime I'd like to try that.

I guess it could work, but my bun has to be fanned out for that (im in the punny bun thread after all) and then I have to find a damn place in Mexico city where they sell those... and don't give me the weird look! LOL

But I think it's a neat idea somehow!

I gave up on high updos, which is a shame because it would distribute weight better. I can't handle the root pain when I take my hair down, and the root pain can last the whole next day for me.

Oh yes, sometimes it even lingers till my next wash even it is fully down again! That really sucks!!!

yahirwaO.o
January 20th, 2016, 12:13 AM
YAY!!!!I think this is the closest I can get to a high updo and be reasonable with my scalp being in a comfortable state. I use this straight in one day with just one elastic loop and no pain in there whatsoever. Still very messy for what I wanted but its an improvement! What do you guys think???

http://i1031.photobucket.com/albums/y375/Marino_Torocho/P1220283_zpsdh6gsuco.jpg (http://s1031.photobucket.com/user/Marino_Torocho/media/P1220283_zpsdh6gsuco.jpg.html)

http://i1031.photobucket.com/albums/y375/Marino_Torocho/P1220280_zps7yk9oars.jpg (http://s1031.photobucket.com/user/Marino_Torocho/media/P1220280_zps7yk9oars.jpg.html)

http://i1031.photobucket.com/albums/y375/Marino_Torocho/P1220279_zpsc1vhuuwy.jpg (http://s1031.photobucket.com/user/Marino_Torocho/media/P1220279_zpsc1vhuuwy.jpg.html)

stelz
January 20th, 2016, 01:00 AM
Yeah, getting there! Man buns SHOULD be a little messy in most cases, I think.
The first place I saw them (other than pictures of Samurais, lol) was at Meat Puppets shows - the Kirkwood brothers have some really bunga hair and they'd bun it a lot to keep it out of the way.
That's how I think of man buns - a Pupps thing, not a GQ thing. :cool:

Daydreamer.
January 20th, 2016, 03:16 AM
My hair is naturally curly so I get bumps, poofiness, and hair sticking out when I try any kind of ponytail. When I used to straighten my hair, my high ponies came out pretty sleek. All you have to do is:
1. Detangle your hair.
2. Comb or brush your hair to where you want your pony to be.
3. Hold your hand around your hair and smooth the sides of your hair with your other hand (or a brush).
4. Switch hands and do step 3 again (hold your hair with your other hand and smooth your hair with your other hand).
5. Repeat until your hair is smooth on all sides.
6. Tie your hair.
Done.
I hope I helped. It's easier to show you than to describe to you...

Yosha
January 28th, 2016, 03:09 PM
Oh I love that bun Yahirwa! That is actually a pretty high bun, I'm glad you managed to make it work for you :D But didn't it cause hair pain after you took it down?

Entangled
January 28th, 2016, 06:24 PM
I just found out that high stick buns work best! I've been doing cinnabuns with lots of pins, but they hurt, especially since I wear them more often with a dirty and thus more sensitive scalp. One stick equals minimal contact points for possible pain. I had one in for two days in a row with few issues!

enting
February 11th, 2016, 03:39 PM
That looks great, YahirwaO.o!
I was going to ask if you can do a high half-up. If yes, my next suggestion was going to be to do a half up, and then gather the rest of your hair and ponytail it together with the half up ponytail, which you can then bun. It also sounds like it might be a matter of training your hair to go up into the style rather than down. It took me a while to train my hair to go into topknot buns, but now I can do it pretty smoothly without discomfort. I do have to comb my hair toward wherever I want the bun to be for it to work, and if I want to switch to a low style I will have to comb again, as my hair will tangle tremendously when I change the direction I want it to go.

rosieolie
February 13th, 2016, 01:08 AM
I think there's something to "training" your scalp to accept different hairstyles. The high buns and ponytails hurt a lot at first, but for me the pain went away after using the same general spot to anchor my bun/ponytail. It doesn't hurt at all now (unless I really stretch my next wash), and I put my hair up high probably 3-5 days a week. I have relatively heavy, BCL hair.

I'm a newbie so my two cents might not be entirely credible, lol. But I went through the same thing, so I thought I'd drop in.

Entangled
February 13th, 2016, 09:34 AM
That's sound advice. My hair pretty much needs to be washed every other day, but if I'm wearing a high bun, it's day two or three, so reducing contact points with the scalp really helped mine not hurt. Yay stick buns!

maborosi
February 15th, 2016, 10:08 PM
I have an extremely tender scalp, so I know your pain. If I don't position the ponytail or updo just right on my head and it pulls, it is a nightmare for me all day.

enting
February 16th, 2016, 06:57 AM
Stick buns are generally way more comfortable for my scalp than using pins, and more stable with my hair than using scrunchies. The first time I managed a stick bun it was like wow! this is amazing! Depending on the style, the stick doesn't even have to be grabbing scalp hair at all, and that is the most comfortable of all.