PDA

View Full Version : Hair and Work

HeartofHaleth
January 11th, 2016, 02:46 PM
First off, I'm new here, so please forgive me if this is in the wrong place. Anyways...Question time! My job involves exposing me, and more importantly, my hair, to a lot of potentially damaging things. It gets full of salt water (especially the ends) and just plain salt after the water dries, and is exposed to harsh sun and extreme weather of the cold variety. I never heat-style it and rarely put products in it, but I'm afraid that it's getting damaged nonetheless by these less than amicable conditions. Any tips on how I can protect it and/or minimize negative effects?

bunneh.
January 11th, 2016, 02:52 PM
I don't know how long your hair is, but maybe you could try protecting it by putting it in a bun. That should help you reduce exposure to saltwater. As salt can be very drying to hair, it would probably be a good idea to do some deep conditioning treatments on your wash day or maybe try oiling your hair and definitely conditioning your ends well with conditioners and oils.

picklepie
January 11th, 2016, 04:37 PM
Are hats an option?

-Fern
January 11th, 2016, 04:46 PM
:waving: Hi! I work outside 90% of the time and with chemicals a good part of the time, too, so I feel your pain.

I keep it up as much as I can, both to avoid inadvertently touching it and to keep wind-damage to a minimum. Many people advise wearing a hat, but I hate hats and go nuts trying to wear it, so instead I wear a visor when it's sunny to protect my face (and keep the windblown wispies from going all over the place).

I completely love the sun streaks that I get in my hair (and am ALWAYS complimented on my "highlights," haha), but yes, the sun is a little damaging. To help mediate damage, I try to do a deep moisturizing treatment such as SMT every two weeks or so, and I oil my hair from the ears down. Oil has pretty much been my holy grail that I found on LHC, because my hair has become so soft and healthy in the last year. Everyone's hair is different, though, so sometimes you just have to try different things in different amounts!

Specifically, I use the Rinse-Out Oil Method (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=129191) about once a week, and whenever I feel like my ends need it, I will also apply 3-4 drops of oil to my palms, rub my palms together, and then gently smooth my palms over my hair starting at the ends and gradually working up.

ETA: Another possibility, sometimes I wear a pashmina or scarf (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sNoD3116r0) over my hair when it's cold.

trolleypup
January 11th, 2016, 05:33 PM
I'd try for up and covered, don't know how that would work with being out on boats or your personal style. When I am out in condtitions, I'm in a pony scrub (http://www.blueskyscrubs.com) and a sun hat.

HeartofHaleth
January 11th, 2016, 05:40 PM
I normally have to wear a baseball cap to keep the sun out of my eyes (I work on the water, so it's really bright), and I just put my hair in a braid. Buns are always pretty bulkyfor me, and I doubt one would fit under the hat. Anything wrapped or tied around my head or neck, like a scarf, could very easily become caught in the machinery/rope/etc. on the boat and kill me. I'd rather not end up dead....:shrug: Maybe there isn't a good way to protect my hair, but I do appreciate the tips for treatments! I'll make sure and try them out!

truepeacenik
January 11th, 2016, 05:48 PM
I get my thigh length hair under a large baseball cap, in a pinch. Do a flat bun.

If your braid isn't getting caught, a pony scrub hat (think smooth fabric watch cap, with a bit of room for hair at the nape) shouldn't be problematic. All that would hang would be two ties, and they can be tucked and safety pinned up.

MeAndTheMaz
January 11th, 2016, 06:28 PM
You can try a Buff (http://www.buffwear.com/), or one of it's many knock-offs (http://www.amazon.com/Kingree-Outdoor-Multifunctional-Sports-Magic/dp/B0174POHUW/ref=pd_sim_200_1?ie=UTF8&dpID=51QOG13uQrL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=1ERVN54SHYR8ETN725KP).

Techmouse
January 11th, 2016, 06:36 PM
The oil suggestion is definitely a big help. Apply oil, either natural or 'cone based, to damp hair. This helps to create a barrier between the salt and your hair. As for the sun, I have been told that both coconut and sunflower oils give a bit of sun protection. I'm sure there are some cone based leave-ins/oils/serums that can do the same. Hope that helps.

yogagirl
January 11th, 2016, 06:41 PM
Is your baseball hat the kind with the hole in the back? If so, put it on with your hair hanging out. Then make a bun with spin pins and cover it with a buff or similar.

Irialii
January 11th, 2016, 07:51 PM
Some friends who are surf life savers and who swim a lot use oil or conditioner to protect their hair and scalp from salt water and wind damage. I do the same thing when I go to the beach or go swimming.

sumidha
January 11th, 2016, 07:58 PM
If it's in a braid I'd keep it soaked in coconut oil, personally. When it's colder out tucking the braid between two layers of clothing (like outside a t-shirt, under a jacket) is an option to keep it from the elements, though there will be added mechanical damage from the cloth rubbing.

trolleypup
January 11th, 2016, 08:12 PM
I normally have to wear a baseball cap to keep the sun out of my eyes (I work on the water, so it's really bright), and I just put my hair in a braid. Buns are always pretty bulkyfor me, and I doubt one would fit under the hat. Anything wrapped or tied around my head or neck, like a scarf, could very easily become caught in the machinery/rope/etc. on the boat and kill me. I'd rather not end up dead....:shrug: Maybe there isn't a good way to protect my hair, but I do appreciate the tips for treatments! I'll make sure and try them out!
It was after a couple (yes, I'm stupid that way) near accidents with my braid that I started wearing ponyscrubs. The ties are short when tied on...and if they get loose, the scrub will fall/pull off...of course your hair will fall out too and be its own hazard.
http://www.trolleypup.info/lhc/ponyscrub-060430-trio-med.jpg
This is the progression from ponyscrub on to pulled of ponied hair to hair down. The previous few days had been spent with the scrub on, and during the day wearing a hardhat or sunhat.

yahirwaO.o
January 11th, 2016, 08:35 PM
trolleypup Great pictures man! I do kinda the same thing with a regular bandana for hard jobs like painting, gardening or deep cleaning my house

My buns are the opposite of bulky so they work ok for me, still I prefer making 2 dutch braids and lace-join them together so there are no bumps while putting my pirate bandana style.

....and of course, your length is so damn awesome!!!! :guns::guns::guns:

HeartofHaleth
January 12th, 2016, 10:56 PM
Alright! I don't actually start work again until the summer (gotta love seasonal jobs!), but you've all given me lots to think about and lots to try! Thank you!

truepeacenik
January 12th, 2016, 11:07 PM
Listen to Trollepup. He knows what he's talking about, and it works. I've seen his hair and the photos do not do it justice.