PDA

View Full Version : Hate my hemline

calmyogi
January 11th, 2016, 10:40 AM
I just feel crappy about my hemline.

I have been wanting to grow out my layers for some time now and I was slowly doing it by only trimming 1/2" off my length every month and maintaining at BSL. My biggest issue with layers is being able to find a stylist who can consistantly do them the way I want and not go chop happy with my hair. So in and attempt to maybe try and learn to trim them at home I messed up and took off a lot more than I wanted on the layers closest to my face (does this make sense?). I did find a stylist finally (first time since I moved a year ago) who was very nice and listened to my wants and only helped me to even up what I had screwed up, she did not do anything other than what I wanted. I think I am finally done with layers and would like to go back to just trimming my ends little by little until they just grow out.

So basically my problem at the moment is I hate my hemline, I am almost OCD about how it looks right now and can't stop thinking that maybe if I have her put a V or a dramatic U in it it will even it up and i'll be happy now, but I feel like if I do that then later I won't be happy after time has gone by and i'll just be back at square one with another kind of layer to deal with.

Does it look as bad as I feel like it looks? I know I have seen people on here with worse off hemlines, but I just can't help but look at it and see a huge chunk out of the right side that isn't on the left. It's frustrating because I finally feel like my hair is long enough to wear down and actually be "long" compared to some standards (not on here obviously :)).

I set my album in my profile to public so anyone should be able to access my one length shot in there.

bunneh.
January 11th, 2016, 10:47 AM
I looked at your pictures and can't even see the layers, your hair actually looks great, I think you're just being too hard on yourself. I know you probably want to wear your hair down more often, but putting it in a bun could actually help you forget about it for a while. You have to think about whether you want a blunt hemline (or U or V shaped) or layers. If you want a blunt, U or V hemline, then trim hair accordingly to achieve it. If you want a blunt hemline, just leave your hair alone and let it grow to get rid of the layers the fastest and get that hemline as soon as possible. I have a lot of layers in my hair and am growing them out and will be trimming them in 2017 to get a blunt hemline before I start growing my hair longer and try to get some decent fairytale ends.

missrandie
January 11th, 2016, 11:01 AM
I think you are being too hard on yourself, personally. I think your hair looks verry pretty the way it is- if you want to microtrim the rest of the layers out, then do it. But I think it is quite pretty as-is.

calmyogi
January 11th, 2016, 11:05 AM
Thank you Bunneh :)

It's mostly long layers in the back and it's the front where the layers is mostly.

I'm pretty sure I want a blunt hemline because I want to be able to braid my hair and not have any pieces stick out, and well because I have had layered hair, or hair with a U hemline, since I can remember and I want to see how my hair will be with a blunt hemline.

calmyogi
January 11th, 2016, 11:06 AM
Awe! Thank you Missrandie.

slynr
January 11th, 2016, 11:27 AM
I think it looks really pretty actually. For a while I really obsessed about my hemline and would trim and trim. Now I just really don't look at it very often. Amazing how much growth I've gotten! Might be time to just not do anything and forget it for a while so the obsession can die down. Later you can assess it with a clearer mind:)

calmyogi
January 11th, 2016, 11:41 AM
Slynr I think your absolutely right. I just really wanted some reassurance it was in my head lol.

Thank you everyone!

lapushka
January 11th, 2016, 02:11 PM
I see nothing wrong with your hemline, it's nice and even at that and looks like it's been freshly cut. Also, your hair is far longer than you're describing. That is way longer than BSL.

calmyogi
January 11th, 2016, 02:17 PM
I see nothing wrong with your hemline, it's nice and even at that and looks like it's been freshly cut. Also, your hair is far longer than you're describing. That is way longer than BSL.

Thank you Lapushka, I think I have a longer torso, it seems to pull down to about 1/4" below my bra strap (depending on what style of bra i'm wearing) when I grab it. I would say i'm probably about 4" inches away from being at high waist below my ribs. So maybe it's called MB then?

bunneh.
January 11th, 2016, 02:22 PM
I'm pretty sure I want a blunt hemline because I want to be able to braid my hair and not have any pieces stick out, and well because I have had layered hair, or hair with a U hemline, since I can remember and I want to see how my hair will be with a blunt hemline.

Oh yes, I can relate... I want my braids to be neat without the pieces sticking out, even though I like the messy look it gives me as well, but I prefer bluntish hemline... That's one of the reasons I'm growing my layers out. Other reason is that my layers currently make my ends look very thin, like I have a little tail down there and I kind of don't like the dramatic layers or V shape my hair is in currently anymore.

lapushka
January 11th, 2016, 02:36 PM
Thank you Lapushka, I think I have a longer torso, it seems to pull down to about 1/4" below my bra strap (depending on what style of bra i'm wearing) when I grab it. I would say i'm probably about 4" inches away from being at high waist below my ribs. So maybe it's called MB then?

It definitely looks like you are past waist to me (past the smallest bit of your back circumference), where you "dip in" essentially.

calmyogi
January 11th, 2016, 02:49 PM
Oh yes, I can relate... I want my braids to be neat without the pieces sticking out, even though I like the messy look it gives me as well, but I prefer bluntish hemline... That's one of the reasons I'm growing my layers out. Other reason is that my layers currently make my ends look very thin, like I have a little tail down there and I kind of don't like the dramatic layers or V shape my hair is in currently anymore.

I love the messy look of my layers too lol. But, like I said they are almost all I have had since I have been able to pick out a hair cut in those books they have at salons. Thats what I wasn't sure I wanted to commit with the V hemline, those layers.

bunneh.
January 11th, 2016, 02:54 PM
Well if you haven't had a blunt hemline before, you can try going for one now. See how it looks and how it makes you feel, if you don't like it you can always put some layers back in. :)

Ve
January 11th, 2016, 03:11 PM
[QUOTE=calmyogi;3150319]Slynr I think your absolutely right. I just really wanted some reassurance it was in my head lol.

Yes it is all in your head... your hair is gorgeous!!!!

With your wave structure I wouldn't go V a gentle U to Blunt. I always think Curly looks good with V, Wavy with U and Straight with Blunt. Similar to following the shape of the top of your finger to file longer nails. Nature already predetermines what looks best on us.

But really put it up and forget about it for a month or two and a logical conclusion will come to you and view hemlines on the internet in your hair structure to see what you like.

But really your hair is WOW!

lapis_lazuli
January 11th, 2016, 03:13 PM
What are you talking about? I think it looks great and so pretty! :D Very natural looking... it's similar to mine. Try not to be so hard on yourself. Hair does not naturally grow to form crisp, straight ends, but if that is the look you prefer, maybe apply the 2 week rule before cutting :) :flower:

calmyogi
January 11th, 2016, 03:23 PM
[QUOTE=calmyogi;3150319]Slynr I think your absolutely right. I just really wanted some reassurance it was in my head lol.

Yes it is all in your head... your hair is gorgeous!!!!

With your wave structure I wouldn't go V a gentle U to Blunt. I always think Curly looks good with V, Wavy with U and Straight with Blunt. Similar to following the shape of the top of your finger to file longer nails. Nature already predetermines what looks best on us.

But really put it up and forget about it for a month or two and a logical conclusion will come to you and view hemlines on the internet in your hair structure to see what you like.

But really your hair is WOW!

Thank you Ve! Your so right about the different hemlines.

calmyogi
January 11th, 2016, 03:26 PM
What are you talking about? I think it looks great and so pretty! :D Very natural looking... it's similar to mine. Try not to be so hard on yourself. Hair does not naturally grow to form crisp, straight ends, but if that is the look you prefer, maybe apply the 2 week rule before cutting :) :flower:

I def won't be cutting it back to a straight line in one swift cut thats for sure lol. What I really wanted to do was even it out nicely to a straight hemline and enjoy that for awhile until it starts to fairytale and then just let it go to that because I feel like my hair would fairytale really nicely.

Arctic
January 11th, 2016, 03:38 PM
Your hemline looks mighty fine as it is, don't worry about it! With your hair as it is naturally in the photo, it looks like you are touching the top of your bra (hard to say ofcourse since bra is not visible), and I bet you are past the bottom of the bra band if you stretch your hair. (I think some of us have mistaken your daughter's hair for yours, judged by the waist length comments? I assume I interpreted correctly that your "mini me album" is of your daughter and the other one is of you yourself.)

lapis_lazuli
January 11th, 2016, 03:38 PM
I def won't be cutting it back to a straight line in one swift cut thats for sure lol. What I really wanted to do was even it out nicely to a straight hemline and enjoy that for awhile until it starts to fairytale and then just let it go to that because I feel like my hair would fairytale really nicely.

Still consider waiting the 2 weeks in case you change your mind. Your plan sounds good though :)

picklepie
January 11th, 2016, 04:35 PM
I think a blunt hemline for curlies/waives can sometimes look sort of cape-like and heavy. Blunt ends also make buns harder to secure-- with layers or fairytales, there is a taper to wind around and tuck in. To each their own, however!

Also wanted to say-- have you tried a hair-typing procedure? (Wash your hair and let drip dry with no product?) Or have you tried conditioner-only washing with some leave-in and plopping? I'd be interested to see if you're more curly than you know...

khryz
January 11th, 2016, 05:33 PM
I love your hem line! I've always wanted to go for a V-shaped hemline, but looking at yours now makes me want to have a hemline like yours!

calmyogi
January 11th, 2016, 06:06 PM
I think a blunt hemline for curlies/waives can sometimes look sort of cape-like and heavy. Blunt ends also make buns harder to secure-- with layers or fairytales, there is a taper to wind around and tuck in. To each their own, however!

Also wanted to say-- have you tried a hair-typing procedure? (Wash your hair and let drip dry with no product?) Or have you tried conditioner-only washing with some leave-in and plopping? I'd be interested to see if you're more curly than you know...

I have actually! I did it a year ago and most people said I was easily 2B/2C with a tad 3A in there if I used the right products. I just don't like to wear it curly much because it's more work and maintaince, i.e.. wetting daily because my hair goes flat easily because it's so fine, or product usage. I usually just let it go flat by putting it up after it's dry, it will stay pretty poofy for a day, maybe two, but then it flattens out and loses most body, especially if I have been using heavy conditioners.

All this week I was wearing it curly though and now I wish I would of taken pictures.

calmyogi
January 11th, 2016, 06:08 PM
Your hemline looks mighty fine as it is, don't worry about it! With your hair as it is naturally in the photo, it looks like you are touching the top of your bra (hard to say ofcourse since bra is not visible), and I bet you are past the bottom of the bra band if you stretch your hair. (I think some of us have mistaken your daughter's hair for yours, judged by the waist length comments? I assume I interpreted correctly that your "mini me album" is of your daughter and the other one is of you yourself.)

I wondered the same thing Arctic, That is Correct, the "mini me" album is my daughter. I'll probably change the name of it so it's not confusingl. I would love my daughters length and hemline lol.

lapis_lazuli
January 11th, 2016, 06:18 PM
I wondered the same thing Arctic, That is Correct, the "mini me" album is my daughter. I'll probably change the name of it so it's not confusingl. I would love my daughters length and hemline lol.

FWIW, I believe I saw the right photo and I stand by my original statement :) You have very pretty waves :o

calmyogi
January 11th, 2016, 06:47 PM
FWIW, I believe I saw the right photo and I stand by my original statement :) You have very pretty waves :o

Thank you lapis_lazuli!

yogagirl
January 11th, 2016, 07:07 PM
Awww :grouphug:

You ask, does it look as bad as you think? -- It doesn't look bad at all, seriously!!

May this perhap be a case of being dissatisfied with something else in your life that is hard to solve and then concentrating on something you can control, your hair? I know I do that at times.

FWIW I think your hair looks lovely. Yay for gorgeous waves!

yahirwaO.o
January 11th, 2016, 08:21 PM
I think your waves and hem look amazing!

I know there are some defined wavies here that brush their hair and can achieve smooth wavy look like your daughter, that usually gives a visual trick of a fuller-prettier hem. That is for wavies who are on the straighter side than curly. You might actually be more curly than you think.

You coud micro trim the smallest amount if you don't like it. A tiny trim usually has a great effect on me whenever I feel my hem-ends look crappy.

Layers will catch up eventually and If u try a self trim at home with Spidermom's method, it gives a lovely V shape!!!

Quasiquixotic
January 11th, 2016, 09:05 PM
I think it looks really pretty actually. For a while I really obsessed about my hemline and would trim and trim. Now I just really don't look at it very often. Amazing how much growth I've gotten! Might be time to just not do anything and forget it for a while so the obsession can die down. Later you can assess it with a clearer mind:)

^this. Right here. Times a milliondy.

And your hair is beautiful! :flowers:

Angela_Rose
January 12th, 2016, 12:39 AM
I think a not too steep V would look great on your beautiful , wavy locks. When you start fairytaling, your hair is going to look even more amazing.

calmyogi
January 12th, 2016, 03:17 AM
I think your waves and hem look amazing!

I know there are some defined wavies here that brush their hair and can achieve smooth wavy look like your daughter, that usually gives a visual trick of a fuller-prettier hem. That is for wavies who are on the straighter side than curly. You might actually be more curly than you think.

You coud micro trim the smallest amount if you don't like it. A tiny trim usually has a great effect on me whenever I feel my hem-ends look crappy.

Layers will catch up eventually and If u try a self trim at home with Spidermom's method, it gives a lovely V shape!!!

Thank you, everyone here really know hair lol because most people assume my hair is just wavy to straight because I don't try to enhance my curls, but the fact that some people can look at it here and know it has curly potential is pretty cool. occasionally I shed these thick course curly hairs, but most of it is really fine hair.

calmyogi
January 12th, 2016, 03:19 AM
Thank you quasiquioxitic!

Thank you angela_rose!