PDA

View Full Version : Hair gets velcro-ish at the bottom after 3 months

Fresco
January 11th, 2016, 06:33 AM
So, I've been trying not to get my hair cut until it really needs it. And up until now my hair is fine up to 3 months, but after that it just gets tangly at the bottom and I notice a lot of breakage there (like 3 cm of damaged ends). I don't use heat, I use a boar bristle brush, I don't microtrim in between cuts (my hair's too short for that) and my hair's super dry. I've tried using oils for the dryness but it's just made my hair greasy instead of supple. I don't use silicones and I don't use harsh shampoos, just Urtekram ones.

What should I do?

My thoughts:
- finger comb hair before brushing
- use more oil
- wear hair up more often

Anje
January 11th, 2016, 06:40 AM
Wearing your hair up more should help, though even being careful that your hair doesn't get caught places (behind you in chairs or couches, under straps, etc) should make an impact.

Rather than oiling, have you tried clarifying? Are you using too many protein-filled products (which give my ends a velcro texture)? Have you tried doing moisture treatments before the ends get bad?

Do you have past damage from heat or chemical treatments that you're growing out? 3 months is exceptionally frequent to need to cut damage out, which suggests that something is very wrong.

Arctic
January 11th, 2016, 06:50 AM
Anje asked you good questions and gave you sound advise already, so I won't repeat her.

I just wanted to add, that if your stats are true and you are at collarbone length, I have always found the +/-shoulder length to be particularly rough on the ends, especially if hair is worn down a lot. It's the constant rubbing and friction from the shoulders that does it. And also, this length is not too short for microtrimming.

BTW I wouldn't want to go longer than 3 months between trims myself, no matter how healthy my hair is, I love freshly trimmed ends.

I love Urtekram shampoos, but I don't think they are particularly gentle (or at least no more gentle than the other ones I usually/often use). I used to be under the impression that they are extra gentle, based on the INCI list, but i have changed my mind and come to the conclusion they "greenwash" and "gentlewash" their products a bit - what company doesn't. (Don't get me wrong, their shampoos are one of my all time favourites, and do only good things for my hair and scalp!) But for clarifying a proper clarifying shampoo is the best option.

WaitingSoLong
January 11th, 2016, 07:30 AM
I use silicones, couldn't live without them. You may need a clarify/chelate. Emphasis on the chelate (I use Joico K-pak clarifying, it chelates). I am always amazed at how much better my ends are after one chelate. Follow the clarify with a good conditioner. I wouldn't be afraid of cones. Aussie 3 minute miracle is always a good one.

Wildcat Diva
January 11th, 2016, 07:42 AM
I was coming here to say, buildup? And pretty much exactly the same as WSL.
Cones. Clarify/ Chelate.

Also, maybe the BBB is doing something? I can't really BBB much due to... Probably my wavy/ curly/ tangly texture. Yours might be different.

lapushka
January 11th, 2016, 07:52 AM
I would clarify with a sulfate shampoo. Even if you don't use silicones, there is still stuff that can build up on the hair.

I noticed this back when I was using Urtekram as well. It needs a proper cleansing once in a while. These shampoos are *great* don't get me wrong, but I sometimes also felt they just didn't clean enough.

Try that, and report back if you do decide to go this route. It's better than cutting 3 inches off, I can tell you that much!

WaitingSoLong
January 11th, 2016, 08:20 AM
Yes, about the BBB. My hair hates them and it seems to "ruin" my ends. :shrug:

Also, if you want to clarify/chelate without buying expensive product, you can soak your hair in vinegar (dilute with water about 50/50) then wash with liquid handsoap. I know this sounds terrible but I do this all the time when I have stubborn build-up. You can use dish soap but is is harsher. As long as you condition after (silicones help hold the moisuture in) the harshness will be counteracted.

A word on cones: Everyone's hair is different. For me, since I have to clarify anyway because I use city water, what does it matter if I get a little buildup of cones? Cones help my hair not to be snagged when detangled and hold in moisture. They, IMO, reduce friction from clothes and help tame static. I am pro-cone, personally.

Fresco
January 11th, 2016, 08:50 AM
Wearing your hair up more should help, though even being careful that your hair doesn't get caught places (behind you in chairs or couches, under straps, etc) should make an impact.

Rather than oiling, have you tried clarifying? Are you using too many protein-filled products (which give my ends a velcro texture)? Have you tried doing moisture treatments before the ends get bad?

Do you have past damage from heat or chemical treatments that you're growing out? 3 months is exceptionally frequent to need to cut damage out, which suggests that something is very wrong.
I haven't tried doing moisture treatments before it gets bad, I might do in the future. I use absolutely no styling products, just shampoo and conditioner (a really cheap one). I've noticed this velcro feel before, mostly it's because my hair's damaged at the ends - I just cutt off all the damage and it feels soft again. It really was damaged, not just crunchy from product; my hair had all different lengths at about 3 cm from the bottom.

But when I started LHC, I cut my hair into a bob, co-washed, didn't do anything to my hair anymore. That was 1,5 years ago. Before that I had blow dried my hair a lot for a year and in the year before that I squeezed all the life out of it with my flat iron. But would that really not already have been cut off? Because I chopped half of it off to start again and have had frequent trips to the salon since then.

I'll try not using the BBB

MsPharaohMoan
January 11th, 2016, 08:59 AM
Crunchy from product is not the same as buildup.

Fresco
January 11th, 2016, 10:00 AM
Crunchy from product is not the same as buildup.
Well, what I meant to say is that my hair likely isn't velcro-ish at the bottom due to product buildup. I put the product that I use on my whole head (the cheap conditioner) and haven't had this issue on the top part. I actually do clarify with a clarifying shampoo every three weeks or so. I'll try handling my hair even more carefully - it might still be the heat damaged part of my hair.

slynr
January 11th, 2016, 10:07 AM
Make sure it also chelates....especially if you have hard water.

Anje
January 11th, 2016, 12:54 PM
Well, what I meant to say is that my hair likely isn't velcro-ish at the bottom due to product buildup. I put the product that I use on my whole head (the cheap conditioner) and haven't had this issue on the top part.
I tend to notice buildup more on my ends than at the top, even when I'm using a given product over my whole head.

So I'm going to reiterate, are you using something (the conditioner, perhaps) that's loaded with protein? That would make my ends snap off, as my hair dislikes the stuff.

IMO, if you're going to invest a little in haircare, spend your money on conditioner rather than on shampoo. Any old shampoo, diluted dishsoap, or bodywash will clean your hair OK; conditioner makes all the difference. My hair tends to have fairly cheap preferences for conditioner -- what you get need not be expensive, but it's usually the more important portion of tweaking a routine.

meteor
January 11th, 2016, 02:12 PM
So, I've been trying not to get my hair cut until it really needs it. And up until now my hair is fine up to 3 months, but after that it just gets tangly at the bottom and I notice a lot of breakage there (like 3 cm of damaged ends). I don't use heat, I use a boar bristle brush, I don't microtrim in between cuts (my hair's too short for that) and my hair's super dry. I've tried using oils for the dryness but it's just made my hair greasy instead of supple. I don't use silicones and I don't use harsh shampoos, just Urtekram ones.

My thoughts:
- finger comb hair before brushing...

1) BBB can often be way too rough for dry and damaged hair, especially when it's textured. Check if you see an improvement when you avoid it for a while. Also, from the suggestions you mention for future consideration, it seems to me like you don't start off by combing or finger-combing hair before BBB? :hmm: BBB is not a detangling tool, IMO, it should go after detangling, so if you don't already finger-comb or use a comb/rake to detangle, I'd highly recommend doing that.

2) Putting hair up in low-manipulation styles is going to help protect those ends a lot. Use a hat/scarf/buff when it's very windy or sunny outside, to protect it from UV rays and mechanical damage.

3) Sleeping on silk/satin or just smooth materials (pillowcases/scarves/sleep bonnets) will be protective at night.

4) Clarify, chelate and moisturize (to remove build-up and add moisture to excessively dry hair). SMTs and oiling (oil rinses, pre-poo oiling, LOC...) should help with that. And I certainly wouldn't avoid cones: they add with slip, which is exactly what can help velcro ends.

I've noticed this velcro feel before, mostly it's because my hair's damaged at the ends - I just cutt off all the damage and it feels soft again. It really was damaged, not just crunchy from product; my hair had all different lengths at about 3 cm from the bottom.

But when I started LHC, I cut my hair into a bob, co-washed, didn't do anything to my hair anymore. That was 1,5 years ago. Before that I had blow dried my hair a lot for a year and in the year before that I squeezed all the life out of it with my flat iron. But would that really not already have been cut off? Because I chopped half of it off to start again and have had frequent trips to the salon since then.

Hair grows on average ~ 0.5 inch a month, so you can measure your length and calculate if the flat-ironed ends are still there or not. :) Damaged and virgin hair have slightly different conditioning needs, so knowing that might help you tweak your routine better. ;)

Fresco
January 11th, 2016, 03:56 PM
I tend to notice buildup more on my ends than at the top, even when I'm using a given product over my whole head.

So I'm going to reiterate, are you using something (the conditioner, perhaps) that's loaded with protein? That would make my ends snap off, as my hair dislikes the stuff.

IMO, if you're going to invest a little in haircare, spend your money on conditioner rather than on shampoo. Any old shampoo, diluted dishsoap, or bodywash will clean your hair OK; conditioner makes all the difference. My hair tends to have fairly cheap preferences for conditioner -- what you get need not be expensive, but it's usually the more important portion of tweaking a routine.

I think I missed that.. no, it doesn't have any protein in it!

Fresco
January 11th, 2016, 03:59 PM
1) BBB can often be way too rough for dry and damaged hair, especially when it's textured. Check if you see an improvement when you avoid it for a while. Also, from the suggestions you mention for future consideration, it seems to me like you don't start off by combing or finger-combing hair before BBB? :hmm: BBB is not a detangling tool, IMO, it should go after detangling, so if you don't already finger-comb or use a comb/rake to detangle, I'd highly recommend doing that.

2) Putting hair up in low-manipulation styles is going to help protect those ends a lot. Use a hat/scarf/buff when it's very windy or sunny outside, to protect it from UV rays and mechanical damage.

3) Sleeping on silk/satin or just smooth materials (pillowcases/scarves/sleep bonnets) will be protective at night.

4) Clarify, chelate and moisturize (to remove build-up and add moisture to excessively dry hair). SMTs and oiling (oil rinses, pre-poo oiling, LOC...) should help with that. And I certainly wouldn't avoid cones: they add with slip, which is exactly what can help velcro ends.

Hair grows on average ~ 0.5 inch a month, so you can measure your length and calculate if the flat-ironed ends are still there or not. :) Damaged and virgin hair have slightly different conditioning needs, so knowing that might help you tweak your routine better. ;)

I'll try taking the knots out with my fingers, but my hair is too thick to do that quickly. Guess I'll take my time for it now and add some jojoba oil like I did before!

Isilme
January 11th, 2016, 04:16 PM
Urtekram conditioner has always left buildup in my hair, so much that it rubbed off on my hands when finger-combing. Be careful with their conditioner if you use it.

Daydreamer.
January 15th, 2016, 04:49 AM
I'm in the same situation as you. I don't use harsh products. I finger detangle. I oil my hair. I keep my hair bunned 24/7 w/ ends tucked in. I clarify monthly. I don't use heat. I deep condition 1x a month. I don't use hair accesories. I don't use protein. Yet I get the velcro ends on some parts of my hair.

Annalouise
January 15th, 2016, 01:35 PM
Fresco and daydreamer - have you considered not using oil for a time?:shrug: I find oil gives me stiff ends. For my hair type I really don't think it moisturizes or locks in water at all. It just sits on top of the hair making it harder and more prone to tangles. Maybe its just my hair though.

Fresco
January 15th, 2016, 03:01 PM
Well, I don't continuously use oil on my hair. It doesn't really work for my hair either! I'm going to try the SMT one of these days, if it doesn't make my hair limp I might do it more often. And I'll try using silicones again, I noticed less breakage when I used silicones through my ends.. even though they were heat damaged.

Fresco
January 15th, 2016, 03:50 PM
So I just found out my shampoo has a lot of oils in it. Tried a really basic shampoo with sulfates and it made my hair instantly lighter. Can't say whether that was to blame, though! I think I'll try using Moroccan hair clay to wash my hair anyway. That and just finger combing, not using a BBB. No oils for me either, and no cones since I remembered what it did to my hair when I used them a lot. Might look into henna, too. It's a shame I don't like wearing my hair up, but I'll try doing it more often. And I'll do an SMT to see if it works.

- Finger comb, no bbb
- hair clay & henna
- no oils or cones
- SMT