PDA

View Full Version : What should I do with my natural frizzy hair?

Samia ELShrkawy
January 11th, 2016, 02:51 AM
my hair was 2 layers the top one was about 4 cm shorter but it was frizzy and sepreted of my air so i shortered it to my sholuders because i thought it was damaged because i was using heat for a year but i cuted out the heat 7 monthes ago and it was the best thing i've done to my hair, but it's always frizzy if i did the wash and go, my hair is 2c/3a not sure which one, i was wondring if i made it one layer and let it grow will that make it not frizzy and calm down the top layer ? i like to comb my hair when it's dump then do bun or braid is that okay with my hair type or combing make it more frizzy?

my bottom hair is good if i combed it dumb then done updo when i relase it without combing again but the roblem in the top layer

if there is one with the same of my hair tybe can you tell me how you style your hair and you routine and if you got layers or not or if you have picture before and after layers or if you had then grew it out ?

beacuse it's driving me crazy :/

diddiedaisy
January 11th, 2016, 02:57 AM
My hairs not curly but generally the advice would be to stop brushing, keep well moisterised and use an oil/serum after washing. You may also want to try the curly girl method for drying which helps the curls keep their form.

I'm sure someone with your hair type will come along with some great advice for you :)

lapushka
January 11th, 2016, 04:42 AM
Do not brush it when dry, not even when damp if you can prevent it, this is especially important on looser curl/wurl textures. Only comb and brush it out coated with conditioner when it's getting washed, and prior to washing as well to prep it for washing and get rid of the sheds. That's the only time you are allowed to dry comb/brush, prior to washing (or if by chance you are only wearing it in updos from then on). You know?

reilly0167
January 11th, 2016, 10:13 AM
I 100 percent agree with lapushka....I'm a curly girl....believe me I know the struggle.... On wash days...when I apply and work the conditioner in I take a wide tooth comb and gently detangle..after that I let the conditioner sit for a few minutes then rinse..most of the time I do not rinse all of it off(kinda like an Instant leave in?)...blot with towel....Dont wanna lose the clumps I used a serum on the length and ends... And scrunch while air dry...and weekly moisture treatments helps greatly..I do honey and olive oil...any who that's the only time a comb touches my hair

curlysamantha
January 16th, 2016, 09:13 AM
I second what lapushka and reilly0167 said. They key is not brushing it or even touching it once its dry. I use a mixture of coconut and argan oil after each wash plus plop it and it works wonderfully :)

Petulia
January 16th, 2016, 09:22 AM
You should avoid brushing it. When my hair is tangled, I finger-comb it just enough to braid it. Leave the braids in for a few hours, and when you open it up you'll notice that your hair is a lot more manageable. Then just apply hair serum (you should have loosely crimped hair at this point) to neaten and slick down the ends. A lot of curly-hairs make the mistake of using mousse, which can enhance your curls, but I wouldn't recommend it for frizzy hair.

Arctic
January 16th, 2016, 09:41 AM
OP never said she brushes, only that she combs.

OP, maybe you have several different hairtypes, it's very common. It's often said, that when curly hair is moisturized it doesn't frizz as much, but I assume some frizz is unavoidable.

If you most of your hair is still quite damaged, that might contribute too. If your hair grows the avarage speed, you have about 7 cm of virgin (or post heat damaged) hair in your head now, that's not awfully lot to judge yet how your hair behaves when it's all healthy.

Look into "curly girl" or other methods aimed for curlies. You hair might need clarifying, and moisture, and the damaged parts might need protein.

curlysamantha
January 16th, 2016, 09:58 AM
She still shouldn't be combing it when its dry, it has the same effect as brushing it.

meteor
January 16th, 2016, 12:24 PM
I agree with everybody's advice, I just wanted to add that the way you sleep matters. Hair rubs against pillowcases, so you want to give it "glide". I'd highly recommend satin/silk (or any slippery smooth) pillowcases/bonnets/scarves for preserving styles overnight and avoiding that frizz. If you wear wool/flannel coats/scarves/hats/hoods, line them with silk or just place a silk scarf between your hair and the rough fabrics.

Many curlies can only comb their hair when it's wet and soaked in conditioner. Not touching after that helps: sure, this might leave behind some minor tangles, but it will help avoid creating frizz. Also check out the "Tightly Curly" method, the "super-soaker" method and the "squish to condish" - they help some people with forming clumps and added definition/less frizz.

Another thing to consider: was your hair chemically treated, heat-styled or accumulated any other sort of damage (chemical, thermal, mechanical)? Sometimes damage presents itself as frizz, hairs sticking out in different directions, not following their natural curl pattern as well as htey did before. In this case, I'd recommend hydrolyzed protein treatments as well as coconut oil.

For styling, I'd highly recommend LOC/G (liquid + oil + cream/gel) or otherwise "sealing" canopy hair with occlusive oils/creams. It's also OK to place a lot more conditioner on the more frizz-prone areas, so if you know that your canopy gives you grief, concentrate your conditioner in that area or use a lot heavier product there or do double-conditioning. HTH! :flower:

curlysamantha
January 16th, 2016, 12:52 PM
I agree with everybody's advice, I just wanted to add that the way you sleep matters. Hair rubs against pillowcases, so you want to give it "glide". I'd highly recommend satin/silk (or any slippery smooth) pillowcases/bonnets/scarves for preserving styles overnight and avoiding that frizz. If you wear wool/flannel coats/scarves/hats/hoods, line them with silk or just place a silk scarf between your hair and the rough fabrics.

this is excellent :) just want to add that braiding hair at night can help a lot too.