PDA

View Full Version : Do you collect your shed hair????

LillithTheFirst
January 10th, 2016, 05:38 PM
I don't know if that seems really weird or gross, but I decided to start collecting my shredded hair and putting it all in a ziplock bag for 2 reasons.
1. Check how much hair I'm shedding and if thats.. "normal"
2. I liked the idea of making Hair Rats out of my own hair as it would look and feel more natural (they did this in Edwardian times etc)

Now there's quite a bit of hair but I can't tell if it's too much, because my hair is quite thick, lots of it and almost tailbone length.
http://i66.tinypic.com/2z9a0au.jpg

http://i67.tinypic.com/28sx7xk.jpg

Sarahlabyrinth
January 10th, 2016, 05:45 PM
You have a lot there :). I am collecting mine at the moment, I want to make a hair piece I can wear, a braid or ponytail so I can add it to my own hair in an updo.

CurlyCap
January 10th, 2016, 05:51 PM
I've thought about it, but the issue is I would never be able to undo the tangles they are in. It's like the worst game of Untangle The Christmas Lights ever.

So I throw it away. The other option would be to untangle it when it is fresh shed from the shower and covered in products. And although this opinion doesn't make any sense: Ew.

As for your baggie, it doesn't seem like too much. Thing is, once your hair gets to a certain length, it doesn't take much to seem like it's a lot. I pulled out almost that much hair when brushing my hair after not doing so for over a month. Lots and lots of shed hair had been trapped in the mess.

sumidha
January 10th, 2016, 06:10 PM
I did when I was having my post-baby shed and losing handfuls every day. I intend to make a hair rat out of it but I'm not sure about the best way to do it...

Loveisaverb
January 10th, 2016, 06:20 PM
My hair seems a bit to light and fine to even see when my hair sheds, plus my hair doesn't shed that much to begin with. But it would be fun to collect just to do strand testing on it when I dye my hair funky colors, so I wouldn't have to use my hair on my head.

yahirwaO.o
January 10th, 2016, 06:43 PM
I think for checking shedding rates, creating hair rats or plain fun is ok. But doing that with my own kinda creeps me out! I actually hate and scares mee seeing so much hair collected together, I gather it after brushing-styling-washing and throw it out in my garden.

Main reason is I used to be so OCD about shedding rates and had a very hard time about it. So now I just prefer to throw it out as soon as I can then continue with whatever I have to do in the most positive manner.

.... and childhood horror hair cutting memories when I was forced to get it cut and watching so much peoples hair together still feels yucky. That's probably just me! :o

Kat
January 10th, 2016, 09:23 PM
Not normally, though I'm currently doing so to have "test swatches" for henna.

Dessi
January 10th, 2016, 09:40 PM
I do, but not all of them. Lately I've been shedding very little, like 10 hairs a day, so I see no point in adding them to the rest. My main idea when I started collecting them was to dye them with henna or a dye, out of curiosity, to see how it would look on my hair. :D

stelz
January 10th, 2016, 10:07 PM
I'm not doing it, but I should start. I've been considering making some rats. They did that in the 40's, too. A lot of styles from various times require a bump, and I refuse to tease.

Nymphony
January 11th, 2016, 12:34 AM
I once collected a day's worth of shed, folded it in half, curled it, and tied it with a ribbon to make a sort of keepsake, if that counts :)

Sarahlabyrinth
January 11th, 2016, 12:35 AM
I once collected a day's worth of shed, folded it in half, curled it, and tied it with a ribbon to make a sort of keepsake, if that counts :)

That sounds like fun! :)

Nymphony
January 11th, 2016, 02:22 AM
That sounds like fun! :)

It was! I did show it to a friend and she thought it was kinda weird, however :laugh: oh well!

bunneh.
January 11th, 2016, 03:47 AM
No, I leave them everywhere for my loved ones to see and think of me.

I did collect some cut pieces a long time ago and used them as henna samples... Though it showed up way darker on my real hair but that was what I wanted.

Brunettebybirth
January 11th, 2016, 04:25 AM
Intermittently to see if I'm shedding normally or more than usual.

restless
January 11th, 2016, 04:37 AM

lol :D

OT: No I dont collect them. Truth is the thought of hair rats and braids/ponytails thats been cut off and kept in a drawer somewhere kinda freaks me out... (Im sorry! To each their own and all that, its just not my thing)

sarahthegemini
January 11th, 2016, 05:47 AM
Eww, no. Shed hair disgusts me.

embee
January 11th, 2016, 05:56 AM
Shed hairs floating around my living space icks me. I prefer to have that all confined. I have a hair receiver and when it is full I can take it to the garden and cut it all up into the compost. Back to the earth, you know. :)

spidermom
January 11th, 2016, 06:30 AM
No; it falls under the same category that collecting scabs or skin cells would. Besides, I think seeing all my shed hair in one place would worry me. I'd run to the mirror looking for bald spots.

Anje
January 11th, 2016, 06:43 AM
It doesn't look like an unreasonable amount, but I've never collected my sheds to compare. The vacuum seems to do enough of that as is!

lapushka
January 11th, 2016, 08:27 AM
If that's a whole month - it's not a lot. It's about what I shed in a month, I reckon. I think I shed about quarts of what you have there weekly, with my post-wash and pre-wash detangling session.

Agnes Hannah
January 11th, 2016, 09:30 AM
Yep I collect shed hair! I have made a donut and a couple of rats with the sheddings, and when I was younger I made small pincurl sized pieces that I plaited into my hair (still on my head) if this makes sense.

I feel a refreshed vigour starting....

mermaid lullaby
January 11th, 2016, 09:39 AM
Sorry, I would rather not look how much hair I lose...I would feel sad.

Kimberly
January 11th, 2016, 02:10 PM

I laughed and startled my cat!

Eventually I will find a hair receiver in a thrift store or antique shop, and then I will start saving hair. That would be a pretty thing on my dresser, but I don't think a bag of shed hair is very attractive and I wouldn't want to look at it when filling it up. It would be cool to make my own rat, though.

lapis_lazuli
January 12th, 2016, 01:08 PM
I feel if I tried to collect my shed hairs, I'd end up with more dust than hair!!! :lol: Seriously, my hairbrush is filled with it no matter how many times I clean it. Gah!

Entangled
January 12th, 2016, 06:45 PM
I do...I'm collecting them for a sculpture. We'll see how that goes. I have half of a knee-jerk disgusted reaction, and half weird fascination with sheds, especially seeing a lot of them.

LillithTheFirst
January 13th, 2016, 12:48 AM
Maybe I should have put a trigger warning on the post! Hahaha

turtlelover
January 13th, 2016, 01:16 AM
This just grosses me out, so, definitely NOT my thing!

Grenouille
January 13th, 2016, 01:37 AM
I had the idea of collecting my hair but i never did it yet because...well, i'm trying to reduce my addiction of keeping things. I keep a lot of things (i have a huge collection of photograph, old magazines, objects, books, postcards, old clothes...). Keeping my sheds is not possible right now even if it'd take only a little space in my mess. I'm trying very hard to clean my little house and the feeling of begining a new collection makes me sick right now.
But i would love to make hair pieces of art like in the victorian era: http://mitziscollectibles.typepad.com/.a/6a011168ca5559970c0133ed7833e8970b-800wi
so maybe one day...i will have my own ziplock bags full of sheds :)

Wosie
January 13th, 2016, 02:05 AM
Shed hair makes me feel uncomfortable too, so no... Not cut hair, but shedded... I think it's a mixture of me thinking "how much dust is captured there" and old shedding periods that made me quite sad. :S

Do you wash your collected hair, by the by? And where do you collect it from? I'm thinking clean brushes and not the floor and shower drain. :o

I have eczema and thus there'll be tons of dust in my brushes, so I personally can't keep them clean for long, even if I try... x_x'

Sarahlabyrinth
January 13th, 2016, 02:08 AM
I collect mine straight from the comb, and yes, I wash it.

Wosie
January 13th, 2016, 02:28 AM
I collect mine straight from the comb, and yes, I wash it.

Thank you for the answer. It's definitely a smart way to add hair to a hairdo, as it can't get more natural-looking than one's own hair. Do you clip the hair together with something, like a ribbon or a small elastic?

Sarahlabyrinth
January 13th, 2016, 02:35 AM
I have it held together with a bulldog clip at the moment until I have enough hair to make a ponytail with. I will then either use an elastic to hold it or make a weft and roll that to make a ponytail.

Garnetgem
January 15th, 2016, 03:21 PM
I have never kept mine i just throw it as seeing it would make me see how much i am shedding,but then again its sounds like a good idea to add back to the hair never really thought of that idea before and its got me thinking...

lapis_lazuli
January 15th, 2016, 03:40 PM
Sarahlabyrinth, I'd love to see photos of what you've gathered so far :) Do share some! I really like this idea but as I mentioned before... dust>hair. :lol:

Sarahlabyrinth
January 15th, 2016, 05:43 PM
I have this much after not quite two weeks of saving it. It's amazing how it mounts up.

http://i1253.photobucket.com/albums/hh582/Sarahlabyrinth/DSCF8413.jpg

Nadine <3
January 15th, 2016, 05:55 PM
Not really. I stick them to the shower wall and forget about them until my mom yells at me to clean the hair wads off the wall. lol

lapis_lazuli
January 15th, 2016, 06:39 PM
Wow, it really does add up :D It's impressive! Thanks for sharing, Sarahlabyrinth :)