PDA

View Full Version : Share Your Vegan Hair Care Here!

HollyLindsey
January 10th, 2016, 04:33 AM
I don't know if there is already a thread like this, but I couldn't find one.

For those of you who use cruelty free and vegan products, please share and discuss here! This could include your hair care routine, supplements you take, and other parts of your lifestyle related to hair! I thought this would also be a great way to discuss the best cruelty free and vegan haircare products on the market.

ivy-marie
January 10th, 2016, 07:25 AM
I am not specifically vegan but I am constantly on the move to use more natural, cruelty-free, and or fair trade products. I've been using shea moisture retention shampoo. It says on the bottle that the ingredients have been ethically traded and sustainably produced. I use warm water to rinse it while massaging my scalp under the water making sure to rinse it out completely (not as easy to rinse like sulfate shampoos) but it makes my hair very soft. I have also been working towards solely using catnip tea as my conditioner (this is not a "haircare product in the market") but I am able to grow and dry my own tea which is vegan, cruelty free, fair trade, helps the air, makes my hair feel like kitten fur and best of all, cheap!!! :-) Theres a thread about it here.
Also, flaxseed oil is a good vegan alternative to taking fish oil.

looniac
January 10th, 2016, 11:44 AM
I use DevaCurl - not certified veg, but no animal products (except for one product that has beeswax and I don't use that) and doesn't test on animals. I use the nopoo and one conditioner. I may switch to Nature's Gate which I buy for my husband who just uses shampoo and doesn't need conditioner for his short hair.

young&reckless
January 10th, 2016, 01:23 PM
CV bars have quite a few vegan options for both poo and soap.

Arctic
January 10th, 2016, 01:26 PM
I like to replace honey with syrup when I make SMT.

HollyLindsey
January 13th, 2016, 12:33 AM
I like to replace honey with syrup when I make SMT.

I need to try that! What syrup do you use?

LillithTheFirst
January 13th, 2016, 12:43 AM
I use a brand called Davroe, which is Australian made (I am Australian). I use all of their products because I love them so much from their shampoo/conditioner, sprays and treatments. I use an assortment of oils -apricot kernel, grapeseed, argan, macadamia, jojoba. I also sometimes run a few drops of essential oils through it for perfume - I love ylang ylang, sandalwood, patchouli etc.
I follow LCO method.

Arctic
January 13th, 2016, 01:56 AM
I need to try that! What syrup do you use?

I use one that is most commonly available where I live, a sugar beet syrup. But any syrup/sugar should do. They are all humectants (moisturizers) just like honey is. When I mix the syrup with conditioner is loses the tacky texture is is easy to work with. I hope you like it!

LongHairTalk
January 15th, 2016, 01:47 PM
For a lot of time last year I tried washing only with water, and while it did make my hair feel silky smooth, it also made it more difficult to dangle at the roots.

I've been using a bottle of a SheaMoisture conditioner that's been lying around in my bathroom for some time. This January I'm trying to use just conditioner to wash and detangle. It has worked for me (Conditioner only washing) in the past, and it's one of the reasons my hair reached BSL.

I stick to one product. If there is any at the time of wash, I'll use an oil on the ends and massage some into the roots for a bit. Avocado oil is excellent (I don't like the smell of coconut oil after it's in my hair, it smells weird) as it doesn't smell like anything.

Products for me:
- Avocado Oil
- W.O.
- SheaMoisture (??)
I know home made recipes are great too!
How about coconut milk? I haven't tried that yet, but some people have successfully used it as conditioner. Personally, I'd go the DIY route. It's fun :)

I love this thread!

As a side note, I've also been using avocado oil as a night time moisturizer right after washing my face while it's still somewhat wet.

LongHairTalk
January 15th, 2016, 01:48 PM
Whoops! Double post :(

HollyLindsey
January 19th, 2016, 08:11 PM
Has anybody got alternatives for silk scarves and pillow cases? :)

earthybee
January 19th, 2016, 08:21 PM
I like DermOrganic shampoo and mask...Pureology hydrate line and acure organics repairing shampoo.

I use and love this pillowcase (http://www.savvysleepers.com/products/anti-aging-satin-pillowcase-color-nappuccino)

Islandgrrl
January 19th, 2016, 08:43 PM

Satin works nicely. It's what I use.

HollyLindsey
March 19th, 2016, 05:43 PM
Thought I'd share some products I've been using and loving lately:

-coconut milk hair mask. I just mix canned coconut milk together with some rosemary oil and a little bit of the coconut water, saturating it all over my hair/scalp
-'Natures Gate Calming Tea Tree + Sea Buckthorn' shampoo and conditioner. This is one of my favorite shampoo/conditioners I've used lately. It's soothing and cooling and makes my scalp feel great.

kitchenwench
April 16th, 2016, 02:48 AM
So I've been vegetarian for ages but I've only been plant based for the last year and I'm trying to get going on the ethical side of things. I'm searching for the holy grail of product/method available in Canada.

I'm looking for a heavy duty conditioner that's vegan, eco-friendly, sensitive skin friendly (I react to pantene etc.), minimalist and zero waste (or close, I'm looking at buying in bulk, recyclable containers, bars)

Currently i use a light baking soda wash (about once a month, it's very drying but feels necessary sometimes), I wash my hair 2-3 times a week, often I just rinse and soak in kombucha vinegar for 3 min and rinse again (I used to use ACV but the homemade kombucha vinegar is milder and cheap). I use some coconut oil in the ends and sometimes for scalp treatments. However my hair is past my hips and I'm dreaming of detangling sprays and silicone conditioners (even though they drive my scalp crazy). I cut off 6 inches in December and I search and destroy for splits and wear protective hairstyles.

I live on dry prairie land and my hair just feels dry. Ideas? I'm all for homemade treatments that take more time but less expensive ingredients. I've tried treatments with herbal teas, bananas, molasses, etc. I haven't sacrificed an expensive avocado yet but I will if that's what it takes. I had high hopes for the Lush big hair conditioner bar but that was basically a fail.

Amenahh
April 17th, 2016, 09:53 AM
I don't do anything special, just use vegan and CF shampoo and conditioner. The brand is Faith in Nature, and my hair likes them. :)
Sometimes I also oil it, but not very often

lazuliblue
April 17th, 2016, 10:03 AM
I found this company a few weeks ago when I was on the hunt for a sulfate-free/cone free shampoo that was vegan (so quite a tall order!) www.handmadenaturals.co.uk (http://www.handmadenaturals.co.uk)

I got some shampoo from them and it's great. Obviously I haven't used it for that long so I hope it continues to work well on my hair but it cleans it without stripping it, and even though it isn't a strong as a sulfate shampoo I haven't needed to wash my hair any extra times.

I plan to get some conditioner from them soon. Everything is vegan except the lip balms. Plus, they are 'leaping bunny logo' certified so no testing on animals, getting other people to test ingredients for them etc.

Also, I've just started to do apple cider vinegar rinses and they have left my hair very smooth and shiny.

Curly276mom
April 17th, 2016, 10:07 AM
I recently switched to water only and love it. My hairs natural sebum is like a deep trearment and awesome gel all in one. My hair has never been this soft before. I use wooden combs (one wide and one very fine) instead of boar bristle brushes.

daPerley
April 17th, 2016, 03:42 PM
I don't do anything special, just use vegan and CF shampoo and conditioner. The brand is Faith in Nature, and my hair likes them. :)
Sometimes I also oil it, but not very often

Could I ask witch sent/herb of Faith in Nature you use? :) I'v been looking at their products for about a year now but is a bit afraid that the citrus that is in most of them will make my hair dry.

Persiangirl01
April 18th, 2016, 06:37 AM
So I've been vegetarian for ages but I've only been plant based for the last year and I'm trying to get going on the ethical side of things. I'm searching for the holy grail of product/method available in Canada.

I'm looking for a heavy duty conditioner that's vegan, eco-friendly, sensitive skin friendly (I react to pantene etc.), minimalist and zero waste (or close, I'm looking at buying in bulk, recyclable containers, bars)

Currently i use a light baking soda wash (about once a month, it's very drying but feels necessary sometimes), I wash my hair 2-3 times a week, often I just rinse and soak in kombucha vinegar for 3 min and rinse again (I used to use ACV but the homemade kombucha vinegar is milder and cheap). I use some coconut oil in the ends and sometimes for scalp treatments. However my hair is past my hips and I'm dreaming of detangling sprays and silicone conditioners (even though they drive my scalp crazy). I cut off 6 inches in December and I search and destroy for splits and wear protective hairstyles.

I live on dry prairie land and my hair just feels dry. Ideas? I'm all for homemade treatments that take more time but less expensive ingredients. I've tried treatments with herbal teas, bananas, molasses, etc. I haven't sacrificed an expensive avocado yet but I will if that's what it takes. I had high hopes for the Lush big hair conditioner bar but that was basically a fail.

Hi there kitchenwench!

I see that you said your hair feels dry, and that you are using baking soda once a month. Baking soda is really not good for your hair at all. It is a great deep cleanser, yes, but unfortuantely it is not good for your scalp and in turn your hair. Your scalp pH level is slightly acidic, around 4.5 on the scale, while Baking soda is a 9.5 (a base). When you wash your hair with Baking soda, you are affecting the pH level of your scalp which is definitely not good and this is probably why it feels quite drying, as you mentioned. Frequent use of baking soda can eventually dry out the ends quite badly in some people and cause severe breakage too. The key to healthy hair is a healthy scalp! :)

As for your dry ends, do they feel crunchy? If so that could be because of the coconut oil. Try an oil with less protein, that is more hydrating. It could make all the difference!

Amenahh
April 18th, 2016, 12:24 PM
daPerley, Sure, I have tried the jojoba shampoo and conditioner, for normal/dry hair.
And now I'm using the Raspberry & Cranberry shampoo, which is also for normal/dry hair, and it smells nicer than the jojoba. My hair likes both of them the same. I am still using the jojoba conditioner.

They make my hair soft and shiny :).
Your hair might prefer another range, they have so many, but I guess you just have to try and see :D.

daPerley
April 19th, 2016, 02:27 AM
Amenahh - Thank you, I think I'll start in that end atleast and hopefully they'll work. :)

jazzhands
April 19th, 2016, 08:37 AM
I use Urtekram's Aloe Vera shampoo, it's leaping bunny certified but I'm not sure if it's vegan. Probably that too.

Hairkay
April 19th, 2016, 01:11 PM
I use DIY fruit hair masks. I've also used oatwater and found ways to use fenugreek as well.

Nettyx
April 19th, 2016, 01:26 PM
I found this company a few weeks ago when I was on the hunt for a sulfate-free/cone free shampoo that was vegan (so quite a tall order!) www.handmadenaturals.co.uk (http://www.handmadenaturals.co.uk)

I got some shampoo from them and it's great. Obviously I haven't used it for that long so I hope it continues to work well on my hair but it cleans it without stripping it, and even though it isn't a strong as a sulfate shampoo I haven't needed to wash my hair any extra times.

I plan to get some conditioner from them soon. Everything is vegan except the lip balms. Plus, they are 'leaping bunny logo' certified so no testing on animals, getting other people to test ingredients for them etc.

Also, I've just started to do apple cider vinegar rinses and they have left my hair very smooth and shiny.

ooooh, I'm on their website now, going to try a shampoo - which one did you use? does it lather ok?

Cassilicious
May 12th, 2016, 04:01 PM
I used to use Kiss My Face all the time, but I recently switched to Giovanni and I loove it!!

pipers_river
July 19th, 2016, 04:57 PM
Like LillithTheFirst, I am also Australian and like Davroe products.
I recently bought the Smooth Senses shampoo and conditioner and really like it.

I love DeLorenzo (also an Australian brand) and have been using them for a while. I can recommend the
- Control Shampoo and Control Intense Conditioner
- Sandstorm Hairspray
- Absorb Dry Shampoo
- Ocean Mist Salt Spray

Whilst I love the Sukin skincare stuff, I'm less impressed with their shampoo and conditioner.

The Choose Cruelty Free website is also really useful if you're looking for vegan haircare.

http://www.davroe.com/
http://www.delorenzo.com.au/
http://www.choosecrueltyfree.org.au/hair-care/