PDA

View Full Version : Help! BSL with no end in sight.

ErikaRenee
January 9th, 2016, 11:13 AM
Hi everyone!

I am pretty new, though I have been reading threads on this forum for a while.

I'm pretty cool with my hair. The thickness is fine; it's shiny and straight, but I can't get very far past BSL before the ends show some serious damage. I do have partial highlights, so I know that doesn't help, but a vast majority of my hair is untouched and it still breaks. I don't use any heat, and I don't brush when wet. I just lopped off three inches, and everything is pretty good for now, so it's Operation Avoid Split Ends. Here's what I am doing now to try and remedy it. I am washing only twice a week, using dry shampoo when it gets bad. When I do wash, I put in coconut oil before my shower, and then I wash it out with Aveda shampoo. I deep condition with a hair mask on those two days. After the shower, I put in a protein treatment (once a week), and then I do a leave in conditioner and air dry. I am finally committing to wearing my hair up during the day and braided at night. Before bed, I am oiling the ends with jojoba oil, and in the morning, I am using a serum with water soluble cones before I carefully comb it out. These reactionary measures are new for me. I had just nixed heat products combed carefully before all this. Now I see I have to double my efforts.

Please let me know if you need to know more. I am in need of some more experienced opinions, so let me know if I can help you help me. Thanks so so much!:o

browneyedsusan
January 9th, 2016, 11:45 AM
I think your hair will come around to your way of thinking. It sounds like you're doing a lot of things to your hair, though. The 2 main things are 1) wear it up most of the time--especially to bed; and 2) don't use heat on it --no blowdrying, no hot water, no hot styling tools. (I'm unfamiliar with growing out damage, though.)

IMHO, BSL is a sketchy marker. It looks different every time you look at it! It seemed like I was "stuck" at BSL for 6 solid months. Maybe more. I knew it was growing, because I kept having to re-henna my roots, but the length looked completely stalled. Then, one day I looked at it and thought to myself: "Self, it looks like we're almost to waist?!? How in thunder did that happen???"

Now, I'm having similar feelings about WL; but I've been here before. One day, I'll look at it, and it will be almost hip. ;) Until then, just put it up and forget about it! :lala:

happy growing! :)

lapushka
January 9th, 2016, 11:54 AM
Protein once a week is a lot, even for highlights. It is a lot. I'd cut back on protein once every 2 weeks or even once a month. That should be more than enough!

Also, I'd adopt a nice S&D routine instead of going for trims straight off the bat.

Is there any possibility for giving up the highlights?

Also, heat takes a long long time to vanish from the hair. Damage needs to grow out. Maybe that's why you are still seeing so much bad ends on the hair. You basically need to start over from scratch, as if from a shaved head.

ErikaRenee
January 9th, 2016, 12:10 PM
Protein once a week is a lot, even for highlights. It is a lot. I'd cut back on protein once every 2 weeks or even once a month. That should be more than enough!

Also, I'd adopt a nice S&D routine instead of going for trims straight off the bat.

Is there any possibility for giving up the highlights?

Also, heat takes a long long time to vanish from the hair. Damage needs to grow out. Maybe that's why you are still seeing so much bad ends on the hair. You basically need to start over from scratch, as if from a shaved head.

Thanks so much for telling me about the protein. The hairdresser had me using it every day a few years ago. Every day. Then I researched it and cut down, but apparently not enough. I will put it away for now. Thanks a ton. I prbly should just stop highlights, because it is one of those "common denominators" here. I just love how the different colors swirl around with curls and updo's.

The ends probably are seeing the last of the damage. I quick cold turkey about three years ago, and I used to only curl the bottom half of my head, so lets hope the end of those ends are near. haha

Anyhow, thanks for the help!

ErikaRenee
January 9th, 2016, 12:12 PM
Oh and the S&D method is a good idea. I wish it wasn't weird to do that in class. I notice my split ends during class always. lol

Laurenji
January 9th, 2016, 01:10 PM
Another thing - look for sources of mechanical damage. For example, if I put a ponytail hinder on the end of a braid, it's five for the day, but if I sleep in it or wear the braid for more than a day at a time I notice more "scrunching" of the hair. Also, a silky sleep cap has helped me tremendously at night, especially for the hair around my temples. Not that those are anywhere close to the ends of your hair, but more to point out that mechanical damage can be sneaky.

lapushka
January 9th, 2016, 01:13 PM
Oh and the S&D method is a good idea. I wish it wasn't weird to do that in class. I notice my split ends during class always. lol

Yeah, I know, in the weirdest of places, right? And the only thing you can think of then is, why don't I have scissors right now. :lol:

spidermom
January 9th, 2016, 01:33 PM
There's also the option of catnip tea soaks/rinses. I find it too much of a chore but you might not. I've seen evidence that it helps a lot.

ErikaRenee
January 9th, 2016, 01:43 PM
Another thing - look for sources of mechanical damage. For example, if I put a ponytail hinder on the end of a braid, it's five for the day, but if I sleep in it or wear the braid for more than a day at a time I notice more "scrunching" of the hair. Also, a silky sleep cap has helped me tremendously at night, especially for the hair around my temples. Not that those are anywhere close to the ends of your hair, but more to point out that mechanical damage can be sneaky.

Yeah I need to work on that. I should buy some more gentle hair ties. I have seen them at the store; they look like they would not contribute to breaking as much. I have had to cut those stupid elastics out of my hair before.

Also, I love your avatar. OMG I love those little guys. Have you seen peacock spiders? I just love spiders in general, but those are the cutest.

There's also the option of catnip tea soaks/rinses. I find it too much of a chore but you might not. I've seen evidence that it helps a lot.

I saw that, and it might be worth the pain. But yeah, I did think it was pretty involved.

I think your hair will come around to your way of thinking. It sounds like you're doing a lot of things to your hair, though. The 2 main things are 1) wear it up most of the time--especially to bed; and 2) don't use heat on it --no blowdrying, no hot water, no hot styling tools. (I'm unfamiliar with growing out damage, though.)

IMHO, BSL is a sketchy marker. It looks different every time you look at it! It seemed like I was "stuck" at BSL for 6 solid months. Maybe more. I knew it was growing, because I kept having to re-henna my roots, but the length looked completely stalled. Then, one day I looked at it and thought to myself: "Self, it looks like we're almost to waist?!? How in thunder did that happen???"

Now, I'm having similar feelings about WL; but I've been here before. One day, I'll look at it, and it will be almost hip. ;) Until then, just put it up and forget about it! :lala:

happy growing! :)

I just took a new picture, and it looks like I actually have gone a little past BSL. So you are so right; it does feel like it's stuck, but it's not.

meteor
January 9th, 2016, 02:05 PM
I don't use any heat, and I don't brush when wet. I just lopped off three inches, and everything is pretty good for now, so it's Operation Avoid Split Ends. Here's what I am doing now to try and remedy it. I am washing only twice a week, using dry shampoo when it gets bad. When I do wash, I put in coconut oil before my shower, and then I wash it out with Aveda shampoo. I deep condition with a hair mask on those two days. After the shower, I put in a protein treatment (once a week), and then I do a leave in conditioner and air dry. I am finally committing to wearing my hair up during the day and braided at night. Before bed, I am oiling the ends with jojoba oil, and in the morning, I am using a serum with water soluble cones before I carefully comb it out. These reactionary measures are new for me. I had just nixed heat products combed carefully before all this. Now I see I have to double my efforts.

Please let me know if you need to know more. I am in need of some more experienced opinions, so let me know if I can help you help me. Thanks so so much!:o

You know, I think these things you've introduced (bolded) are excellent and are going to make a massive difference, especially putting hair up and oiling. Great job! :thumbsup:

If dry shampoo isn't cutting it, you could try scalp-only washes (with diluted shampoo and bun covered under a plastic shower cap), they really clean the scalp but allow you to protect the ends from extra washing, drying and wet manipulation.

I'd recommend sleeping on silky smooth pillowcases (consider silk material and satin weave, e.g. charmeuse, but anything smooth works) and/or sleep bonnets. They will provide enough glide for hair so you should notice less snagging, tangling and less drying out, and the hairstyles should be preserved better overnight. Alternatively, you can cover the pillow and/or your length with a silk scarf/blouse.

I know you said you don't brush when wet, but sometimes brushing is not needed at all, after all brushing is normally there for "polishing" rather than basic detangling. Check if just a rake/comb is possibly all you need? I know I stopped getting split ends as soon as I ditched my rough brush.

Most definitely! :agree:

Laurenji
January 9th, 2016, 07:13 PM
I have seen peacock spiders before! At least gifs of them. They *are* pretty cute. Also, I didn't realize until you quoted my post how many autocorrect errors there were in it! Oops.

AutobotsAttack
January 9th, 2016, 09:31 PM
I would say that the new regimen you posted will do just fine. Just remember to protect your hair, and not too much protein. I believe you're supposed to have a 80:20% or 90:10% ratio of moisture to protein. With moisture being the greater number. Every six weeks is the ideal amount of time you should wait between protein treatments, even if you have chemical alterations done to your hair. Keep oiling those ends, and find something made of satin or silk to cover your hair or sleep on at night. Opt for sulfate free shampoos, and get a good serum for your hair. Trust me you will love it. And start practicing scalp massages. Just do a light scalp massage every day or whenever you can remember. You can add a small tiny amount of oil if your scalp likes oil or it doesn't get too oily, and you don't need to oil it everyday, just when you think you need it. But other than that I say your regimen is very good.
And I am at BSL, but as my new growth comes in I get tons of shrinkage, and most often than not I swear my hair is shorter, but then on relaxer days I see so much length retention and I'm always staring at myself in the mirror going: "dude, what's going on here?". Lol. But also remember to have a lot of patience and be diligent and committed. Hair growth, and health improvement take time. ����

maskedrose
January 9th, 2016, 09:43 PM
Highlights were the common denominator for me. I've hung out in the waist-hip region for years because of it (ends would reach hip and feel horrible, triggering a 3-4" chop back to above waist). I finally stopped highlighting for good 2 years ago, and the difference has been tremendous. After some pretty major trims to get rid of the worst damage, I'm back at hip and for the first time ever my ends feel healthy enough to continue growing. I've also come to really appreciate my natural color and the incredible amount of natural highlights and variation it has. So, something to consider if you continue to struggle even with the positive changes you're already making :flower:

Silverbrumby
January 10th, 2016, 12:19 AM
I do henna streak foils. I usually get gold and red and do a few chucks. It gives me the multiple colored hair I prefer but allows me to be super lazy and only do it when I feel like it as you don't see the roots so much.

Thanks so much for telling me about the protein. The hairdresser had me using it every day a few years ago. Every day. Then I researched it and cut down, but apparently not enough. I will put it away for now. Thanks a ton. I prbly should just stop highlights, because it is one of those "common denominators" here. I just love how the different colors swirl around with curls and updo's.

The ends probably are seeing the last of the damage. I quick cold turkey about three years ago, and I used to only curl the bottom half of my head, so lets hope the end of those ends are near. haha

Anyhow, thanks for the help!

TaraDanina
January 21st, 2016, 09:10 AM
That seems like a little too much protein, maybe. My ends (highlighted and virgin) get splitting too. I've taken to rubbing a small amount of argon oil into the bottom two inches of my hair while it's still damp, and I find this helps. I'm at the same point as you...although my ends look like they're in good shape right now. BSL is a very tricky milestone I guess. I noticed that protein caused shrinkage for me too, nearly gobbled up two inches of length the first time I did it!

Anje
January 21st, 2016, 02:34 PM
Like others have mentioned, it might be a lot of protein. My ends would rebel against that, but they're prissy about protein (and serum, for that matter) and give me trouble if I use it with any regularity. Be on the lookout for them getting too stiff, rough, tangly, etc. Clarify, but if they're still like that, it's your hair telling you that the protein is getting out of hand and you need to moisturize a bit more and back off on the protein. If they feel fantastic, well, then clearly your hair likes it and you should keep right on doing it!

Updos seem to really be the trick for getting past BSL if you're dealing with bad breakage at that length. I blame chairs! (Seriously, when you're in class, look for some of the other long-haired girls and check out how they're sitting. I keep noticing that the ones who lean back against their hair suddenly have tons of splits right where their hair meets the chair. And you thought you noticed split ends in class before..... Muwahahahaha!) On days when you're not putting your hair up, even just being conscientious of not leaning against your hair can make a big difference.

lunalocks
January 21st, 2016, 07:11 PM
This is my formula - s and d every week. (don't look for them where you can't take care of them, like in class, or it will make you crazy. Just designate some time every week and do it), catnip soak after washing, and baby oil on the ends and length. Let it dry. Put it up. Forget about it. Give it a try for 6 months and you will be amazed.

My hair loves this routine. Anything with cones or a lot of protein kills it. I don't even use conditioner anymore except BEFORE I shampoo (once or twice a week) to get the baby oil out.