PDA

View Full Version : Hair forks and the TSA

WannabeViking
January 8th, 2016, 12:18 PM
Haven't really been able to find much about this...does the TSA throw a fit about hair forks when you fly? I'm going to be traveling and must be dressed in minimum business casual, so as a guy, I definitely need to be "bunned up" at all times, so I want to take at least one fork. Anyone have any experiences flying with hair toys?

Thanks!

rhosyn_du
January 8th, 2016, 03:51 PM
I don't know about forks, but I've flown a number of times with hair sticks and never had a problem.

cat11
January 8th, 2016, 03:51 PM
Yes, TSA doesnt care. They might give you a bun pat down they did that to me once, but other than that they dont care

meteor
January 8th, 2016, 05:04 PM
Yes, it's no problem at all. :D I'd recommend using something small-ish and made of wood or acrylic, no metal and nothing too pointy. From my experience, they do sometimes ask to undo buns or at least pat them down - it can be pretty random, but wearing something less noticeable helps.
In terms of updo options, ideally, I'd recommend a braided compact bun, because even if they ask you to take it down, you still have a braid that can be bunned later within seconds, and it's a good, comfy option for the flight itself, considering headrest, taking naps...

missrandie
January 8th, 2016, 05:37 PM
Last time I flew, I wore a ficcare and they patted my hair. That was it. I think you would be fine with a fork, but a stick would work too.

FYI, knitting needles are allowed, so I don't know why a fork wouldn't be.

Alix
January 8th, 2016, 07:31 PM
I've always had my bun patted down but they don't mind the hair toys, and my buns normally have a few in then.

maborosi
January 8th, 2016, 08:30 PM
I have never had a bun, but they always pat my hair.
I usually wear it in a braid.
They've asked me to take it down before.

WannabeViking
January 8th, 2016, 10:59 PM
Thanks for the information! Makes me a lot more comfortable dealing with this. :)

lunalocks
January 8th, 2016, 11:03 PM
I wear a fork every time I fly. a big one. No problem. When they have asked to pat down my hair - I just pull the fork and down it comes and they pat down my hair anyway.

The last 2 trips on 2 different airlines they didn't even look at my bun.

trolleypup
January 9th, 2016, 12:32 AM
I wear a fork every time I fly. a big one. No problem. When they have asked to pat down my hair - I just pull the fork and down it comes and they pat down my hair anyway.

The last 2 trips on 2 different airlines they didn't even look at my bun.
Sometimes they notice my metal hairstick, sometimes they don't. If they have questions, easy enough to pull the stick and show you don't have anything interesting inside.