PDA

View Full Version : Philosophy behind hair growth...

CreatureBailey
January 7th, 2016, 11:08 PM
Ok so I really enjoy growing my hair but sometimes I feel weird about wanting this so much! I'm not sure of what words to put on it!

Do any of you fellow HairGrowers could put actual words on why it is so important and interesting? Also I want to know what could I possibly reply that could make sense to someone who would ask lol!

I think it's a representation of accomplishment, a marker of time, something unique...

What are your opinions? What are your reasons for growing your hair out?

:)

lw8666
January 7th, 2016, 11:27 PM
My explanation is simple. I believe hair Beautiful. :)

trolleypup
January 8th, 2016, 12:38 AM
Ok so I really enjoy growing my hair but sometimes I feel weird about wanting this so much! I'm not sure of what words to put on it!

What are your opinions? What are your reasons for growing your hair out?
I like long hair...pretty simple

jera
January 8th, 2016, 12:56 AM
I've always loved long hair as far back as I can remember I wanted it for myself. I think it's so feminine looking (on a woman) - no offense trolleypup, while still being masculine when worn on a man. It's ascetic. It makes me feel whimsical and otherworldly, magickal and powerful.
Mostly it just makes me feel like me. I haven't had to explain my love for long hair to anyone lately. If someone asked though, I'd probably say it's a religious thing and let it go at that. Druids have long hair still don't they? :p

bunneh.
January 8th, 2016, 02:48 AM
I love long hair and am curious how long it will be able to grow especially now that I know how to take care of it much better than I did years ago. I also like being unique and I love the look of braids that go past bum. There's a bit more work with long hair compared to really short hair but I can't live with short hair and am quite passionate about it or obsessed with it as some may call it lol.

hanne jensen
January 8th, 2016, 03:08 AM
I've always wanted long hair. Also I find long hair to be much easier to care for. I'm not dependant on a salon every month or so to maintain a hairstyle.

HollyLindsey
January 8th, 2016, 03:17 AM
For me, it represents patience and being natural. :)

Arctic
January 8th, 2016, 04:30 AM
If you are new here, I think that is a big explanation about the obsessive enthusiasm. It is very common and it will fade (which of course doesn't mean your want and love for long hair fades).

My "philosophy" behind my hair enthusiasm is this: it (hair as a hobby and hair forum) acts as a safe haven in the stressful world.

missrandie
January 8th, 2016, 06:06 AM
I've always loved long hair, and felt that it represented my spirit and personality better than short hair. That, and I love buns :)

Ve
January 8th, 2016, 07:39 AM
For me it compliments being a truly feminine woman.

It is a goal I have wanted for so long when I was 20 I contemplated going to New York to train with George Michael salon then got married and totally forgot that goal and growing long hair.

Also I think the weight of longer hair will control my puffiness flyaway hair, I hope so never been past BSL before.

spidermom
January 8th, 2016, 08:51 AM
I have also loved the sight of well-cared-for, long hair all my life. It isn't just being long because I've seen some pretty ratty-looking long hair that I'd cut short in a millisecond if it were on my head. I didn't acquire the patience to leave mine alone and let it grow until I was in my 40s, so it represents patience to me, also wisdom because isn't it wise to tend something you love over time instead of flitting around from one idea to another without settling on what it is you really want?

lapis_lazuli
January 8th, 2016, 09:36 AM
For me, hair is a reflection of your body's health. I like to feel healthy and it makes me feel more beautiful. Long hair also takes a lot of discipline to maintain, so I like having this responsibility. It has become a sort of 'hobby' for me :) That's why I do it.

parkmikii
January 8th, 2016, 10:19 AM
Because I love feeling it on my skin and it also became a hobby. Also all the gorgeous hairtoys out there. (Does wanting to resemble an elf count as well?)

Robi-Bird
January 8th, 2016, 10:22 AM
My hair entertains me. It's something, growing it that is, that is untried and new to me. My goal length grows longer as I see more buns I want to achieve. As long as it makes me happy, it grows.

Anje
January 8th, 2016, 12:40 PM
I need my hair to be easy and out of my way, which means either long or very very short. It looks good long and I enjoy messing with it from time to time, which is how long wins out. Besides, right now I'm curious how far it'll grow. :D

Fericera
January 8th, 2016, 12:53 PM
It's beautiful. It's warm. It encourages me to be healthy. I feel grounded and connected with women of the past every time I brush or care for it. The myriad of styles and accessories are loads of fun. And lastly, it's an enjoyable hobby with a nice community- one that's good for an introvert in that it doesn't require you be pretty or to post pictures of your face. You're known by your hair and I love that.

Sarahlabyrinth
January 8th, 2016, 03:48 PM
I have also loved the sight of well-cared-for, long hair all my life. It isn't just being long because I've seen some pretty ratty-looking long hair that I'd cut short in a millisecond if it were on my head. I didn't acquire the patience to leave mine alone and let it grow until I was in my 40s, so it represents patience to me, also wisdom because isn't it wise to tend something you love over time instead of flitting around from one idea to another without settling on what it is you really want?

For me, hair is a reflection of your body's health. I like to feel healthy and it makes me feel more beautiful. Long hair also takes a lot of discipline to maintain, so I like having this responsibility. It has become a sort of 'hobby' for me :) That's why I do it.

It's beautiful. It's warm. It encourages me to be healthy. I feel grounded and connected with women of the past every time I brush or care for it. The myriad of styles and accessories are loads of fun. And lastly, it's an enjoyable hobby with a nice community- one that's good for an introvert in that it doesn't require you be pretty or to post pictures of your face. You're known by your hair and I love that.

All of this is why I want my hair long. Besides, If I don't grow it now, how will I know if I will have enough years to do it later, if I don't do it now - I am getting "older" after all. And I am also curious to see how long it will get and what sort of hair I can produce, at longer lengths. Plus I'm an artist and "allowed" to be a long haired weirdo :p
If I don't grow it long how will I ever know?

MsPharaohMoan
January 8th, 2016, 04:05 PM
After a brush with death I have a great fascination in the passage of time and things that grow.

It's a form of self care that results in something that I can touch and smell and see and know that I've come this far. I enjoy adorning and modifying myself - piercings, jewelry, tattoo, hair. Having ways to express outwardly the person I feel I am inside gives me pleasure.

Kimberly
January 8th, 2016, 04:07 PM
I cut my long hair and did all sorts of fun things ... spur of the moment hair cuts anytime, bleached it paper-white, dyed it fun colors (blue was my favorite), and got heaps of compliments on how it suited me. Then, I had a dream in which my hair was long and I was at a pretty vanity table combing, brushing, putting in ribbons, and when I woke up I was sad to realize I couldn't do that.

In fact, by that point I was bored. My hair was too short to play with, too damaged to do much to it, and I didn't even have enough to tie a ribbon to. So, I stopped cutting. I never had a goal length, and just decided to let it grow as long as I was enjoying it, it looked okay most days, and I could do something presentable with it for special occasions. That was many years ago.

Really, all I wanted was enough hair to do some nice updos and to support some big, pretty toys, but it isn't that thick, so it has to be long. I also really like the timelessness of long hair with nothing done to it, the ability to eschew corporate products and fashion trends and salons, and the do-it-yourself nature of self-trimming or (for some time now) no trimming.

Also, I want to grow up to be an old lady with a long silver braid who hands out cookies to the neighbor kids, like a neighbor I had when I was little. :-)

mermaid lullaby
January 8th, 2016, 05:02 PM
If you are new here, I think that is a big explanation about the obsessive enthusiasm. It is very common and it will fade (which of course doesn't mean your want and love for long hair fades).

Yup, pretty much what happens

chen bao jun
January 8th, 2016, 06:06 PM
It's easier to care for and quicker to groom.
I have thick hair and this looks SOOOO much better with some length to weigh it down.
I like things natural and most people with long hair have natural hair (because styles, chemicals, etc break most people's hair off short)
Not everybody has it, it takes patience and also to be frank, genetics. I have number one but not sure about number two. If I do end up getting long hair, I will be so chuffed and feel it was worth waiting for and was a goal I met that theoretically everyone can have--but in fact, that's not true.

gregh
January 8th, 2016, 07:50 PM
It's definitely an accomplishment and I like the fact that its unique, but mostly I just like having long hair, for many reasons, but it boils down to that. So that's what I tell people when they ask why I grew it out: I like it!

maborosi
January 8th, 2016, 08:28 PM
I like buns and braids, mostly.

Also it looks cool.

CreatureBailey
January 8th, 2016, 10:34 PM
You're a guy? :O Awesome!!!! I wanted my best friend to join and we were laughing how he'd be the only boy lol!

trolleypup
January 9th, 2016, 12:38 AM
I've always loved long hair as far back as I can remember I wanted it for myself. I think it's so feminine looking (on a woman) - no offense trolleypup, while still being masculine when worn on a man. It's ascetic. It makes me feel whimsical and otherworldly, magickal and powerful.
Mostly it just makes me feel like me. I haven't had to explain my love for long hair to anyone lately. If someone asked though, I'd probably say it's a religious thing and let it go at that. Druids have long hair still don't they? :p
None taken!

AmyBeth
January 9th, 2016, 01:02 AM
I can't remember a time when I did not want long hair, the longer, the better. I grew it from the time I was 7 years old until my mid 30's and I had a terminal length of not quite waist, of course that was when I blew it dry, wore it down all the time, tore through it with my comb, teased and sprayed it- all the abuse you could think of. Then I began working at the front desk of a hair salon, and I was every stylist's favorite guinea pig when it came to trying out new coloring and cutting techniques. I totally gave up on the idea of having nice long hair, indeed, for a time, I hardly felt that my hair was my own! When I quit working at the salon after 10 years, and reclaimed my own hair, I wanted to grow it out as long as I could, as quickly as I could. My research brought me to LHC, where I learned about the ways I had abused my hair and I learned so much about how to keep it healthy and preserve the length I achieved. What is ironic, and to me, very spiritual about hair is that the most important thing I learned about hair care is to accept and love my hair, just the way it is. That was the most profound thing I learned, and the most effective thing I learned. Once I accepted and appreciated my hair, I really was able to exceed my wildest childhood dreams about long beautiful hair, but with the acceptance came a nonchalance about it. I like it, but I'm not obsessed about it anymore. I used to think that if I ever got to classic, I'd be walking on air. But when I finally reached classic, I was so unfazed and realized that if it all fell out tomorrow, I could accept that, too. Not that I'd like it, but I can accept whatever my hair does now. There is always so much angst about hair that acceptance is a beautiful thing and I'm enjoying that more than the hair itself. And trying to apply that acceptance to all the aspects of my life. That would be a really beautiful thing!

jera
January 9th, 2016, 01:07 AM
None taken!

Thank you. Your hair is awesome.

I'd like to add I feel longhairs show maturity and an ability to commit. I'm not the type to whack off my crowning glory because some fashionista says pixies are hot this year. Sometimes this can be harder than it sounds. So many members here will get the overwhelming urge to chop at some point. That's not me. I'm sure I was born to be a longhair.

Daydreamer.
January 9th, 2016, 01:46 AM
I want to see if I can actually achieve long hair. I'd like to try hairsticks, too. :p

Lauraes
January 9th, 2016, 02:27 AM
I just like the look of long hair. I don't feel like "me" with short (by LHC standards) hair.

Astraea
January 9th, 2016, 12:39 PM
I think it's ravishing. It has an essence of effortless to it, even though that's clearly not always the case. I like it to reflect amazing health, stamina, longevity and beauty.

lapis_lazuli
January 9th, 2016, 12:51 PM
To add, as many others said, it is a tangible representation of patience. :agree: I think that's the most precious thing to me. In addition, we are the only mammals with the ability to grow hair to great lengths (due to, I assume, the longer anagen phase we have) :) which is pretty neat!

humble_knight
January 11th, 2016, 09:21 AM
In my interaction with the outside world, I like that my hair quietly marks me out as being different to the norm. I like conformity to some degree, but I also like individuality. I have never ever been one of those who turn into sheeple for the sake of being popular, or with the in-crowd. When I am alone and look in the mirror, I actually like being able to notice the difference as my hair grows. It's a part of me that is easy to change simply by benign neglect and sticking to a particular routine. Finally, it's giving me something constant and stable to weather the storms life puts in one's way.

CreatureBailey
January 11th, 2016, 09:27 PM
That is so true and it does seem beautiful to go with acceptance!! I need to learn to accept Bailey as she is and work and enjoy her the best possible!

CreatureBailey
January 11th, 2016, 09:29 PM
All of you are so inspiring!!! :)

Islandgrrl
January 11th, 2016, 09:31 PM
No special philosophy here. I just like it.