PDA

View Full Version : Washing out oil?

kmem
January 6th, 2016, 11:02 PM
Does anyone else have problems washing out oil? I had trouble with getting coconut oil out in the past but I've started using avocado and jojoba oil which seem to be much lighter and easier to wash out. However I got some castor oil recently which I've been applying to my scalp twice a week to see if it increases my growth rate (fingers crossed) but it just spreads all over my hair and it's so difficult to wash out completely! I've tried leaving conditioner on it for a while before rinsing, using different shampoos and conditioners, but my hair is always left with some greasy residue until I wash it again.

Any advice and tips would be appreciated!

Dessi
January 7th, 2016, 01:26 AM
I always have problems with washing out oils, that's why I don't oil my hair anymore. (Only the ends, when they feel dry). And conditioner (after oiling) only makes things worse for me. I'll never forget how I decided to try Olive oil once. It took me about 3 weeks (more than 4 washes) to get rid of it fully. :D Never again.

bunneh.
January 7th, 2016, 01:35 AM
When shampooing do you use shampoo with sulfates? I always successfully removed olive oil from my scalp using sulfate based shampoo and i shampoo about 2 - 3 times to get it out, but my head is completely clean afterwards.

Edit: jojoba and castor oil are more waxy which is why they might be harder to wash out i havent tried either of them on my head yet.

nalgena
January 7th, 2016, 02:31 AM
I had difficulties washing out olive and castor oil. Coconut oil is perfect option for my hair, it doesn't seem to be too heavy and it washes out nicely. I do still use castor oil, but I dilute it with coconut oil and it washes out fine. U could also use sweet almond oil and grapeseed oil, they're both suppose to be light oils.

It is important what kind of shampoo u use, I remember that the shampoo bar always left my hair waxy and there was some other "natural" shampoo I used that didn't wash oil out properly. It's just a matter of trial and error really.

Mirabele
January 7th, 2016, 03:50 AM
you may consider using less oil or more shampoo/conditioner or other types of oils. i had some dificulties in the begining, when i just started oilings. later i concluded that i used too much oil. i have now found how much oil i can use so that it washes out easilly. some oils washes out easier than others, i believe this is very individual. you can also consider mixing heavier oils with lighter ones.

lapushka
January 7th, 2016, 05:17 AM
Depends on where you position the oil. Ends? Easier to wash out to not make your hair feel oily. Roots? Harder. Mineral oil and caster oil are heavier oils, so double as hard. I wouldn't put the oil on the scalp too too much, if I were you. You'd have to wash it out multiple times and that kind of defeats the purpose of oiling. Also depends on how much you use. I'd go in with a light hand. Like drops and teaspoons.

ebaviisakas
January 7th, 2016, 05:40 AM
Hmm, I had this problem too, but with olive oil so I'm not sure if this would help you. The way I got it out was to put shampoo all over my hair before I made it wet, make my palms wet and rub it all over so it's all foamy for a bit. Then just wash out like normally and then use conditioner.

Wildcat Diva
January 7th, 2016, 05:55 AM
I though mineral oil was considered to be a light oil that washes out easily with basically water. There are two grades thougH I don't really use the thicker food grade/ laxative.

lapushka
January 7th, 2016, 06:05 AM
I though mineral oil was considered to be a light oil that washes out easily with basically water. There are two grades thougH I don't really use the thicker food grade/ laxative.

Provided you use *drops* of it on damp hair (like one or two), *that* is easy to wash out. So that is basically what people are talking about when they mean that. But a "regular" heavy oiling with mineral oil (baby oil)? No, that is about THE hardest oil to wash out.

Isilme
January 7th, 2016, 06:17 AM
I had the same problem as you have, olive oil was the worst. I don't use oils as much now because of that. However, a small bit of coconut oil on the nape hairs keep them from getting frizzy and tangling.

renia22
January 7th, 2016, 06:37 AM
I had difficulties washing out olive and castor oil. Coconut oil is perfect option for my hair, it doesn't seem to be too heavy and it washes out nicely. I do still use castor oil, but I dilute it with coconut oil and it washes out fine. U could also use sweet almond oil and grapeseed oil, they're both suppose to be light oils.

It is important what kind of shampoo u use, I remember that the shampoo bar always left my hair waxy and there was some other "natural" shampoo I used that didn't wash oil out properly. It's just a matter of trial and error really.

Hmm, I had this problem too, but with olive oil so I'm not sure if this would help you. The way I got it out was to put shampoo all over my hair before I made it wet, make my palms wet and rub it all over so it's all foamy for a bit. Then just wash out like normally and then use conditioner.

I would try the diluting with a lighter oil like nalgena said, and the wash method that ebaviisakas suggested. Also, this might sound strange, but you can try mixing/ diluting the castor oil into aloe, right from the plant, or the pure kind that needs to be refrigerated after opening (Aubrey Organics and Mountain Rose Herbs are the two brands I've used and like). You would think castor oil wouldn't mix in because it's so thick and pure aloe is so watery, but I've tried it since I have issues with scalp oilings, and it actually works fine. About 4-5 parts aloe to one part castor oil, mixed together with a q-tip, is what I've used. Aloe is good for shedding anyways, so if that's an issue, that's an added bonus.

Mademoiselle
January 7th, 2016, 07:38 AM
I also had problems, the coconut worst to remove it out of my hair, now just put a few drops on the tips because if I put too much oil makes me wash 3 times with shampoo to remove it, and that's worse to me than the benefit heavy oil.:eye::hmm:

cathair
January 7th, 2016, 08:15 AM
Perhaps you could try washing it out with warmer water?

I only have problems washing oil out if it hasn't absorbed. Which will normally be because I haven't let it sit over night before I wash it out.

chen bao jun
January 7th, 2016, 08:21 AM
Try the oil in an SMT?

ETA:I meant, instead of doing future oilings, moisturize your hair with an SMT, I don't have your problem but know there are some who can't use oil straight who get the moisturizing benefits from an SMT.

mermaid lullaby
January 7th, 2016, 10:19 AM
From my experience, if you have too much oil like...your hair is stringy and oily. It's just better to use a sulfate shampoo to get it out. Wash out the mistake and try again....

I never do heavy oilings, just 1-2 drops of oil is all I need whether my length is bsl or tbl. I only oil once after I shower. Throughout the week, I water mist.

meteor
January 7th, 2016, 10:27 AM
I think this problem arises mostly if too much oil was applied or the oil was too heavy for the hairtype.
If the over-oiling has already happened, I'd suggest applying a good amount of clarifying shampoo or SLS shampoo "for oily hair" directly to the length with a bit of water to emulsify the oil a bit, let it sit and massage it in for a minute or so, and only after that add more water and start shampooing. Sometimes soaking length in conditioner before shampooing helps cut the grease too, but that's a milder option.

In the future, I'd recommend using much smaller amounts of oil and diluting heavier oils in lighter oils, for example, if you know that olive oil is hard to wash out, mix it with coconut or another lighter oil that you know doesn't cause this problem for you. HTH! :flower:

Anje
January 7th, 2016, 11:00 AM
I haven't done it a ton (heavy pre-wash oiling doesn't seem to do much for me except risk oily hair), but one suggestion I've seen over and over here on LHC is to soak your hair in conditioner (works even better if you don't wet your hair first, but it takes a ton of condish then) and leave it in for maybe 30 minutes, covered with a shower cap or plastic bag. Wet it and scrub it around a bit more, then rinse it out. Supposedly, this removes oil more effectively than shampooing does.

littlestarface
January 7th, 2016, 11:11 AM
I haven't done it a ton (heavy pre-wash oiling doesn't seem to do much for me except risk oily hair), but one suggestion I've seen over and over here on LHC is to soak your hair in conditioner (works even better if you don't wet your hair first, but it takes a ton of condish then) and leave it in for maybe 30 minutes, covered with a shower cap or plastic bag. Wet it and scrub it around a bit more, then rinse it out. Supposedly, this removes oil more effectively than shampooing does.

Works for me but I have non porous hair so I need a heat cap for that 30mins.

Kaya
January 7th, 2016, 11:52 AM

I suspect it's definitely a YMMV sort of situation. What works for some may not work for others. Having said that, I can wholeheartedly vouch for the method described above. I'm a daily, heavy oil junkie, usually with olive oil. And I mean heavy: it has that wet look, but since I wear it up anyways, it doesn't matter. I just have the slicked back look. And I wear it our and about in public all the time.

But I digress. What I normally do it slather it with cheap, Suave Clarifying conditioner (and I do mean slather. I stock pile that specific conditioner), clip it up, let it sit while I take care of my teeth, and once in the shower, don't rinse until I'm done washing up. I very rarely have any issue with feeling oily afterwards, only soft, manageable hair. I don't cover my conditioned hair either.

I think perhaps the key is finding that conditioner that works best for you. I've tried other conditioners and they didn't work so well. I think the clarifying Suave conditioner works best cause it is a very light conditioner, vs regular conditioners which I suspect are much heavier with the moisturizing ingredients. And it doesn't hurt that it's nice and cheap! :D

lunalocks
January 7th, 2016, 11:54 AM
I "wash" my length (that has the oil, baby oil) with conditioner first. Then shampoo. That gets it out.

Christine_O
January 7th, 2016, 12:06 PM
I find the only way I can use even light oil is to add a few drops to my conditioner while I'm washing my hair. Leave it on for 2 minutes and it rinses off with the conditioner. I only do this during the winter when my ends would otherwise be doing a Medusa dance all around my head. My hair doesn't need oil during the summer.

yahirwaO.o
January 7th, 2016, 08:44 PM
I "wash" my length (that has the oil, baby oil) with conditioner first. Then shampoo. That gets it out.

I used to the same. Conditioning after oiling really helped to remove it and then regular shampooing.

Once I got so crazy with oiling I quickly searched and egg do helps a lot and it worked so damn great, my hair was left silky smooth and not weight down stringy. (It worked so fine I went fully into egg washing, that's another story:p)

Apparently the same thing you do when cooking, works for hair and egg absorbs oil very well! If everything fails a good claryfing SLS shampoo works.

And yes I no longer do heavy oiling too, just a drop for my whole length once in awhile and works fantastic that way!!!

JustPam
January 8th, 2016, 03:10 AM
Does anyone else have problems washing out oil? I had trouble with getting coconut oil out in the past but I've started using avocado and jojoba oil which seem to be much lighter and easier to wash out. However I got some castor oil recently which I've been applying to my scalp twice a week to see if it increases my growth rate (fingers crossed) but it just spreads all over my hair and it's so difficult to wash out completely! I've tried leaving conditioner on it for a while before rinsing, using different shampoos and conditioners, but my hair is always left with some greasy residue until I wash it again.

Any advice and tips would be appreciated!

In my opinion, for fine and/or thinner hair putting castor oil on your roots is going to give you more problems than benefits, I've tried it before and it just made my hair sticky and flat. If the only reason you are using it is to try and boost growth then I think you would be better trying something else, there are a fair few essential oils that help growth (a decent list here (http://www.chagrinvalleysoapandsalve.com/idascorner/ingredients/ingredients-faqs/essential-oil-faqs/essential-oils-used-in-hair-care)) you can put a couple of drops in distilled water and use as a rinse or scalp spray after washing. Caffeine is also a popular option, you can crush up a caffeine tablet in water, use a caffeine shampoo, or just rinse with coffee/tea. Hope you find something that works soon :)

kmem
January 9th, 2016, 03:47 AM
After reading these I think I maybe did just over oil. I think I'll stick to lightly oiling the lengths with avocado and jojoba cause my hair usually feels great after and they wash out easily. I had been reading some good things about castor oil on the scalp for growth but it does seem to be counter productive as it is just so heavy and takes so much effort to wash out!

If the only reason you are using it is to try and boost growth then I think you would be better trying something else, there are a fair few essential oils that help growth (a decent list here (http://www.chagrinvalleysoapandsalve.com/idascorner/ingredients/ingredients-faqs/essential-oil-faqs/essential-oils-used-in-hair-care)) you can put a couple of drops in distilled water and use as a rinse or scalp spray after washing. Caffeine is also a popular option, you can crush up a caffeine tablet in water, use a caffeine shampoo, or just rinse with coffee/tea. Hope you find something that works soon :)

Thank you for that list! I'll definitely try essential oils soon.

Try the oil in an SMT?

ETA:I meant, instead of doing future oilings, moisturize your hair with an SMT, I don't have your problem but know there are some who can't use oil straight who get the moisturizing benefits from an SMT.

What kinds of oils are best to use in SMT? I've been meaning to try one for a while now but keep forgetting to pick up honey! Can I swap the honey for oil?

Kiwibird
January 9th, 2016, 10:08 AM
I have the problem with oil sometimes. I'm not sure where the problem is. Sometimes I have no problems for weeks and then suddenly it appears twice a week.

khryz
January 13th, 2016, 06:36 PM
When I first started out using coconut oil, I overdid it and it took 3 washes to get it all out. Now, I use about 1-1.5tsp as a pre-poo... then i apply the remaining on my face as a pre-cleanser. All thanks to LHC I am growing out healthy hair AND having good skin :p