PDA

View Full Version : Sleep habits

CreatureBailey
January 6th, 2016, 09:22 PM
Hewwo. Hey, does sleep affect our hair growth a lot? What if I lack of like 2 hours of sleep every night? Will my hair suffer from it a lot or does it not have a big impact?

I'm a night owl but I have schooool. :P

:)

At least I don't go to bed at 3 anymore. :O I swear when this semester is done I will ehm...try to go to bed even earlier! I think Bailey needs my sleep.

furnival
January 7th, 2016, 03:14 AM
I doubt it will have an impact big enough to stress over, if it has an impact at all. Worrying about whether it's affecting your growth rate might keep you awake ;)

Mimha
January 7th, 2016, 05:37 AM
Hello CreatureBailey ! :)

A temporary lack of sleep should not have a big impact, I think. But if the lack of sleep tends to be long lasting, and if you have to face with a stressful life too, it may affect your hair. Definitely. Sooner or later, the body has "to pay the bill". I have gone through several very stressful years, and the uber hyper sensitive and emotional person I am finally fell into severe exhaustion... with all the consequences that go together with it : anemia, anxiety, insomnia, etc. I started to lose my hair by handfuls every day and that's what finally drew me to the doctor. I was "au bout du rouleau" like we say in French (= "at the end of the roll" ^^ = totally worn out).

It took me YEARS to catch back the disasters of exhaustion and to get my beautiful shiny hair back. I still suffer from chronic fatigue. And I know that if I don't get my need of sleep, I shall pay the bill in the next coming days, weeks or months. My hair growth slows down. And probably the growth during this time is not as healthy either, creating weak points in the length. I don't worry too much about my hair, though. I worry much more about my overall health, but hair is an indicator. Hair is such an important indicator of health that the whole humanity shares a common attraction and desire fort abundant, healthy, shiny hair. This is not just a fashion matter : hair says much about your health. Poor hair (= scarce due to abnormal shedding, too dry or too greasy, brittle, not shiny, etc.) should warn you to make some changes in your life and/or alimentation, get enough rest, less stress, better food (= more organic fresh veggies and less fats and sugars), and enough exercise. I don't mention hair care adjustments : less shampooing, stop heat and chemicals, brush/comb gently, etc. which most of us already do.

In order you to fully understand my point, I put 2 pictures here below : the first one was many years ago, just before I was at my lowest point. My hair was long but you can see that it doesn't look like it is at its best, considering what "its best" means on me. It had no shine, was dry, brittle, scarce and see through. One year after that, I was so desperate that cut it to a short bob. The second picture is some years after I was treated for my severe exhaustion and anemic state (actually last July^^) : you can see that my hair has grown back so much thicker. In my siggy pics, you can see how much shinier it is too. So, yes, long lasting lack of sleep and stress lead to exhaustion, and this is devastating for the whole body and mind.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=18058&d=1436367486 http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=20728&d=1451776206

OK, sorry for repeating my story again and again. But when I see how far we can go before we actually realize that something is going wrong, I feel like it is my mission to warn you, young and healthy folks in here ! Take care of yourselves and your hair will thank you and reward you with nice shiny vivid hair.

parkmikii
January 7th, 2016, 09:20 AM
Mimha, oh my, that's really interesting! Perhaps this might be why my hair looks like it does.. I too sleep only at 2-3 in the holidays and at about 12 during school when I have to wake up at 6.. perhaps I should try to achieve a better sleep pattern :/

missrandie
January 7th, 2016, 09:29 AM
I think that I'm stuck in a vicious cycle between exhaustion and insomnia, where I need to physically tire my body out during the day so it will rest at night.

I know it must take a toll on my hair, because my hair growth does feel slower than it used to be. Though I will say, with LHC care, my hair is healthier than ever before, even with sleep problems.

Robi-Bird
January 7th, 2016, 10:17 AM
I know when I don't get enough sleep for an extended period everything dips, my immune system for example and I imagine my hair growthat lags. It actually did the last spring when my anxiety got a little out of hand and my sleep suffered. It did grow but it's now surging.

Nightshade
January 7th, 2016, 01:38 PM
I have delayed phase sleep disorder:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delayed_sleep_phase_disorder

Meaning that my internal clock doesn't move. Being that I work a first shift job, this means that I:

- get up at 7am
- come home and sleep from 6pm-8pm
- wake back up and stay up until 3am
- go to bed and get up at 7 for work

On weekends, I often sleep until noon - 2pm :)

I'm fairly sure this doesn't hurt my hair growth at all.

Hurven
January 7th, 2016, 02:09 PM
I have gone through many years of either severe sleep deprivation or very irregular sleeping patterns. On days that I have school or work, I usually sleep 5 hours at most. But on the weekends, I can sleep up to 14 hours! My hair has not been effected by this. My hair is thick, shiny and I don't have noticeable breakage. But I know other people whose hair suffer tremendously when they don't get enough sleep for long periods of time. So I guess it depends on the person. ;)

missrandie
January 7th, 2016, 02:32 PM

Meaning that my internal clock doesn't move. Being that I work a first shift job, this means that I:

- get up at 7am
- come home and work from 6pm-8pm

Oh my gosh! So THIS is why I can sleep so well at dawn! My favored sleep hours in the city are from 1AM to somewhere around 10 or 11. If I force myself into sleeping like a normal person, though, I want to zonk back out from 5 to noon.

Nightshade
January 7th, 2016, 03:06 PM
Oh my gosh! So THIS is why I can sleep so well at dawn! My favored sleep hours in the city are from 1AM to somewhere around 10 or 11. If I force myself into sleeping like a normal person, though, I want to zonk back out from 5 to noon.

Hahahhaaha nice to know you're not crazy, isn't it? I was so happy when I discovered this was a thing and I wasn't just a lazy bum like a bunch of people liked to imply.

"Why don't you just go to bed earlier?"

Really? If it was that easy I'd have done that decades ago.

maborosi
January 7th, 2016, 09:12 PM
I don't know that sleep deprivation necessarily causes hairloss.

But it often goes hand-in-hand with stressful lifestyles, and stress definitely can cause hairloss for people.

missrandie
January 7th, 2016, 09:54 PM
Hahahhaaha nice to know you're not crazy, isn't it? I was so happy when I discovered this was a thing and I wasn't just a lazy bum like a bunch of people liked to imply.

"Why don't you just go to bed earlier?"

Really? If it was that easy I'd have done that decades ago.

This. I do go to bed early. Then I lay there awake for at least two hours...

kaydana
January 7th, 2016, 09:59 PM
This. I do go to bed early. Then I lay there awake for at least two hours...

Do you find you actually end up falling asleep later when you do this? If I go to bed early I end up getting so frustrated at being unable to sleep that I end up falling asleep much later than I would have if I'd waited and gone to bed at my "normal" time.

Nightshade
January 7th, 2016, 10:05 PM
Do you find you actually end up falling asleep later when you do this? If I go to bed early I end up getting so frustrated at being unable to sleep that I end up falling asleep much later than I would have if I'd waited and gone to bed at my "normal" time.

Same. Just better for me to go to bed at three than lay there tossing, stressed that I'm not falling asleep, until 4.

kaydana
January 7th, 2016, 10:17 PM
Same. Just better for me to go to bed at three than lay there tossing, stressed that I'm not falling asleep, until 4.

But all your problems would be solved if you just went to bed a bit earlier! :rolleyes:

My favourite thing is when people tell me I'm too old for sleeping habits like this, in a way that sounds like they're expecting me to turn around and go "OH EM GEE YOU ARE SO RIGHT! Why didn't I figure that out myself?! I'm an adult! I'll sleep at a normal time from now on and everything will be great!"

CreatureBailey
January 7th, 2016, 11:00 PM
Omg I think I have the disorder too!!! ;) Awesome it explains it all

Laalalalala :happydance:

I'm not stressed in my lifestyle tho I just sleep at messed up hours. But I'm not badly like stressed i go to school and I go with the flow.

missrandie
January 8th, 2016, 06:17 AM
Only sometimes. I mostly lay there in my meditative state, listening to my husband sleep. Then I eventually drift off.

As funny as it sounds, I recently employed one of my childhood tactics to help me fall asleep, and its been working.

I hold a smooth palm stone (labradorite) in my clutches and I'm off to sleep :) no clue why it works, but it has been.

Phanaferous
January 8th, 2016, 08:57 PM

- get up at 7am
- come home and sleep from 6pm-8pm

This could explain my husband. His sleep is all over the place, though, as he works day and evening shifts (it'll be something like Tuesday day shift, Wednedsay double shift, Thursday day shift, Friday evening shift, etc.). He often comes to bed at 5am even when he has to wake at 7:30. But then I'll find him passed out on the couch when I get home at 9pm, only to get up in a few hours to stay awake all night again.

I did try to encourage him to have a more normal pattern when we were first married. It didn't work, I got frustrated, and then I just stopped trying to interfere. Although, he often wants me to stay up with him, asking me "You're going to bed already?" when it's 1:30am. (I don't have to be at work until 10am at the earliest, sometimes not until 1pm).

In his words, he'd feels like his circadian clock is on a 30-hour repeat. He'd like to be awake for 20 hours then sleep for 10. Doesn't quite fit into a 24 hour day.

Platzhalter
January 10th, 2016, 07:00 AM
Well... my guess is that it really depends on your personal needs. The amount of sleep we need tends to vary from person to person and may also depend on other factors. Although you can generally say that feeling exhausted because you don't get the rest you need leads to stress which has a bad influence on your general health and probably also on your hair growth.

dogzdinner
January 10th, 2016, 08:03 AM
I dont think it has a huge effect, not compared to other things like terrible nutrition or health issues. At least I havent noticed any difference in my hairs growth rate or type over the years (used to sleep like a baby and for the last 15 yrs or so Ive worked nightshifts and slept horribly!).

curlysamantha
January 16th, 2016, 09:16 AM
I personally think it can have a big affect because lack of sleep will have a big impact on your health in general. I think its more of a long term affect and is usually coupled with other things (nutrition, exercise, etc).