PDA

View Full Version : Shed hairs are becoming evil tangle starters

CurlyCap
January 6th, 2016, 04:00 PM
My hair is now between BCL and classic. 3b/3c.

For the last 5 years, I've been able to remove sheds during co-washing. If they didn't just come out, they were removed with finger detangling.

And....something has changed. I think the length has tipped over into a place where the curly shed just can't make it past all the other curls no problem.

And this is causing MAJOR TROUBLE.

One hair is 24-28" long. That's a lot of chaos to start if it gets trapped anywhere in my hair. I've had a lot of gnarly terrible tangles lately, and after painstakingly picking apart of the mess, I find the root cause of it all is a single hair that decided to randomly hook a clump or two together.

Brushing while wet would be best to remove them, but the mechanical damage of brushing (even with conditioner and all the tricks) is so much higher than finger detangling. I could also go by clump by clump...but I am not a queen with nothing to do but groom my hair.

Anyone experienced something similar. Any tips?

meteor
January 6th, 2016, 04:07 PM
This is a big and growing problem for me, too. I think it gets worse with length... maybe because a longer hair strand has more opportunity to hook onto some section of long mane?

The only things that help me with this are passing my hand along the hemline, trying to pick out longer ends to remove sheds, detangling more thoroughly/frequently and washing hair. Those are the only moments when my shed hair has opportunity to come out anyway, since I keep my hair in updos the rest of the time.

Great thread! I'll be watching it for new ideas to try! ;)

gthlvrmx
January 6th, 2016, 04:16 PM
Have you tried mineral oil for detangling?

chen bao jun
January 6th, 2016, 04:18 PM
Oh, does it get worse with length? I have been having this problem for some time now.
My only solution (and its not foolproof) is to do as much as possible in braids and detangle the sections (unloose them from a braid and detangle) instead of trying to do my whole head.
And cones. Lots of cones.
I have to be really careful when braiding though as the ends hook themselves together while I braid the top--

and I'm only bra strap. Not looking forward...

meteor
January 6th, 2016, 04:33 PM
Oh, does it get worse with length? I have been having this problem for some time now.
My only solution (and its not foolproof) is to do as much as possible in braids and detangle the sections (unloose them from a braid and detangle) instead of trying to do my whole head.
I have to be really careful when braiding though as the ends hook themselves together while I braid the top--

Oh Yes :agree: , I think it only gets tougher with length. :( Notice, how sometimes on longer hair one can get knots forming at the very edge of the hemline with some strands being longer than the hemline? That's shed strands trapped in tangles, and that doesn't happen often on pixies (at least, it never happened to me when my hair was short). Shorter hair should have an opportunity to slide out faster, without getting as trapped.

Also, I wonder if heavy shedders have more problems with this? :hmm: Whenever I go through a big shed, I get a lot more tangles, again, probably because more shed strands are caught somewhere in the mane.

And I bet the curlier the hair is, the harder it is for sheds to escape, too.

Silicones and all other detangling agents really help (anything with slip to help make those strands slide out faster, with less resistance). And, at the same time, product build-up really causes more problems, because it can cause stickiness and dryness. So reaching that fine balance between great slip and zero build-up is helpful, but obviously difficult.

chen bao jun
January 6th, 2016, 04:37 PM
Thanks for the warning. But I still want (much) longer hair ;) I will deal with the increased suffering lol...

CurlyCap
January 6th, 2016, 04:41 PM

Yeah, it gets worse.

A huge part of it is that I no longer have the luxury of making sure every clump is perfectly detangled and hanging in sync. Very easy to do at BSL, even with daily co-washing. Now, it takes long enough to co-wash and finger detangle/separate that I'm not going to go through each clump and make sure it is perfect. It's a trade-off I made around hip to ensure my sanity.

I did go back to allowing heavy cones (I was no-cone at shorter lengths), but meteor is right on the head. It leads to needing more clarifying and so it isn't worth it all the time.

And yes, I get a lot of ball-like tangles hanging down from my hairline now. I got up to pull them off like a normal shed only to find they are connected waaaaaaay up in the hair, to another tangle that was hidden in the usual randomness that is my curls.

Chromis
January 6th, 2016, 04:53 PM
This is a big and growing problem for me, too. I think it gets worse with length... maybe because a longer hair strand has more opportunity to hook onto some section of long mane?

The only things that help me with this are passing my hand along the hemline, trying to pick out longer ends to remove sheds, detangling more thoroughly/frequently and washing hair. Those are the only moments when my shed hair has opportunity to come out anyway, since I keep my hair in updos the rest of the time.

Great thread! I'll be watching it for new ideas to try! ;)

This is what I do too.

I get most of them out while combing. The second I hit anything I stop, take the comb out and then finger comb that spot. 9/10 is is a shed hair (the other 1/10 is lint), but I comb dry only so I am not sure that would work with wet hair!

LongCurlyTress
January 6th, 2016, 05:05 PM
Yeah, it gets worse.

A huge part of it is that I no longer have the luxury of making sure every clump is perfectly detangled and hanging in sync. Very easy to do at BSL, even with daily co-washing. Now, it takes long enough to co-wash and finger detangle/separate that I'm not going to go through each clump and make sure it is perfect. It's a trade-off I made around hip to ensure my sanity.

I did go back to allowing heavy cones (I was no-cone at shorter lengths), but meteor is right on the head. It leads to needing more clarifying and so it isn't worth it all the time.

And yes, I get a lot of ball-like tangles hanging down from my hairline now. I got up to pull them off like a normal shed only to find they are connected waaaaaaay up in the hair, to another tangle that was hidden in the usual randomness that is my curls.

Awwwww I know exactly how you curly girls are feeling! As my hair gets longer, I can no longer... pun intended..lol..... detangle in the shower. I just use conditioner, rinse it out, and use a towel... then I am finding oils...evoo or jojoba or sweet almond, a quarter sized amount of one of them, I alternate which, and detangle w my Madora comb very gently in small sections. I was shedding a scary ton during detangling in the shower,(went from 4.5 thickness to 4 inches) but now I am going more slowly and with smaller sections after I get out of the shower.... I was using John Frieda Frizz Ease, but now I am weaning myself away since it is made with protein now...not good for my hair... anyways, let's hang in there together curly girls!!

And Curlycap... your post down below is a riot.... that one strand that messed up---" One hair is 24-28" long. That's a lot of chaos to start if it gets trapped anywhere in my hair. I've had a lot of gnarly terrible tangles lately, and after painstakingly picking apart of the mess, I find the root cause of it all is a single hair that decided to randomly hook a clump or two together." too funny!! :laugh:

@ meteor.. useing cones work great but I also noticed alot more tangling and shedding after the next washing... during the next detangling if that makes sense... Then more cones and the tangling cycle continues.. I am finding that detangling using a bit of oil on damp hair is working ok for now.

@ chen bao jun... keep on sticking with it!! I think your hair is curlier than mine is (3b,) so I totally sympathize with you... and wanting to grow longer, but noticing more tangles and shedding. Do you ever leave in a coney conditioner cream rinse? I do that once in awhile and the slip is wonderful! Just a thot.. ;) Good luck!!

trolleypup
January 6th, 2016, 07:38 PM
Oh Yes :agree: , I think it only gets tougher with length. :( Notice, how sometimes on longer hair one can get knots forming at the very edge of the hemline with some strands being longer than the hemline? That's shed strands trapped in tangles, and that doesn't happen often on pixies (at least, it never happened to me when my hair was short). Shorter hair should have an opportunity to slide out faster, without getting as trapped.

And I bet the curlier the hair is, the harder it is for sheds to escape, too.
Yep. And older longer hair is rougher and catches on lint and other hair even more.

This is what I do too.

I get most of them out while combing. The second I hit anything I stop, take the comb out and then finger comb that spot. 9/10 is is a shed hair (the other 1/10 is lint), but I comb dry only so I am not sure that would work with wet hair!
Ditto...so probably not most helpful. For me and my hair, at least doing a full finger detangle before a wash is critical...better is a full comb out (mostly to pull out the sheds)...if I don't, tangles when the hair dries (since I don't detangle wet).

ErikaRenee
January 6th, 2016, 08:14 PM
I think you are on to something with that theory. My shedding is excessive, and my hair isn't that long, but the shed hairs tie little knots at the end and cause problems.

chen bao jun
January 6th, 2016, 08:48 PM
Okay, yes, I shed like the sort of dogs that people who have sense don't buy (at least not if they want to keep functioning drains and a functioning vacuum cleaner). So longer lengths will be interesting, I guess. At least I am warned.

I honestly don't know what people with my hairtype did before cones were invented. I would never even try to give them up (mostly becasue I have tried and it doesn't work. at. all.)

Good luck, Curly Cap--but whatever you do, don't get a haircut!!

At least, being a curly girl, it will be some time before I get to longer lengths..quite some time...

Beborani
January 6th, 2016, 09:51 PM
Yes unfortunately detangling time has increased for me too. I do a prewash oiling during which time I pull out some hair. The rest get pulled out during cowash cycle. Just recently I was traveling where I slept on cotton pillow and didnt preoil--detangling was a nightmare--I had to leave some tangles in until the next wash when I could oil well and get it out.

AutobotsAttack
January 6th, 2016, 10:08 PM
Ugh i hate when that happens soooo much. Usually, I just make sure my hair is thoroughly detangled while im in the shower, and before i get in the shower with some runny conditioner

CurlyCap
January 6th, 2016, 10:52 PM
Yeah, thing is, you can't just go to the hemline and pull....because that makes curls turn into knots.

Hairkay
January 7th, 2016, 05:12 AM
I deal with shed hair knotting by being proactive. I wear plaits/braids most times for this reason and to reduce ssk plus it's a bonus that I like this type of styling. This means hair is sectioned and most of the shed hair comes out when I undo each plait one at a time and finger detangle my damp hair with a little oil on my fingers. After I'm done with each section it gets plaited/braided up and I move on to the next section. There are a few times when a shed hair pokes of a plait out and with a damp plait that's a bit loose or a little unravelled after washing, I may be able to slowly pull that shed hair out. If it doesn't come out I may undo the plait partially and that helps. My shed hairs are around 22 inches. I detangle once a week. I let my hair out some days during the summer and once in autumn but made sure I either tied it back or plaited it and put on my satin cap for bed.

lapushka
January 7th, 2016, 06:16 AM
Yes, after my hair's been in a towel, then I damp-detangle. That's when the sheds come out for me. If there's a lot of sheds in there, they cause tangles. Once they're out, it comes nicely through for me. Me layering my hair solved a lot of issues, as well as using a good set of conditioners! Finding a HG conditioner is *key*. The knotting action is less and the hairs grab around each other less. My HG conditioner is the Herbal Essences Hello Hydration. But the Franck Provost one for dry, damaged, split hair is a good one too, it comes close, comes in a big tub and has a pump. Bonus.

So yeah, for me good conditioners and less hair (layering) all in all were good solutions.

CurlyCap
January 10th, 2016, 03:19 PM
So for the first time in a long time, I brushed my hair while full of conditioner last night. Well, I first did 2 rounds of finger detangling and then brushed through clumps with my denman.

A small gerbil of hair came out that I genuinely think are sheds that have just been trapped in my hair for ages.

Honestly, my hair looks better for it. The curls formed more uniformly (but this has always happened after brushing) and for the first time in a long while I don't have random hair balls in my hair or even tangles. Just happy, healthy curls.

I know GRU brushes her hair with a tangle teaser before every cowash ( I think every 2-3 days?). I dislike tangle teasers because they break my hair. I'm going to experiment with brushing once a week with conditioner and then finger detangling the rest of the week.

Yay. Yet more haircare steps. ::headdesk::

Aingeal
January 10th, 2016, 05:39 PM
A small gerbil of hair came out that I genuine think are sheds that have just been trapped in my hair for ages.

I laughed quite hard at this! Only because I've so been there! Long curly hair does strange things sometimes.

CurlyCap
March 26th, 2016, 05:04 PM
Update:

So yeah, I've been brushing my hair while soaked in conditioner in the shower once a week....and the evil shed hair knots are gone.

So problem solved?

I gotta admit, I'm not enjoying the extra step in my hair care routine. It all seems like it takes so long these days. First cleansing, and then a finger detangle to separate the biggest clumps, and then finger detangle again to remove the knots, and THEN brush to remove sheds is just ugh. My hair has also reached a length where it's it a giant sheet of wet hair that needs to be carefully maneuvered in the shower. The flow of water over it keeps the curls from clumping together and tangling until I'm done. But supporting a curtain of wet hair is a heck of a workout.

Conclusion:
I want hair care minions. I want a custom built bathtub with one side for my body and another side for my hair with a built in neck rest in the middle. And minions who come in and process my hair while I have a good hot soak. :meditate:

My hair will hold 2-strand twists perfectly now and I'm going to experiment with keeping my hair in them on not wash days. When the twists are pulled into a bun it looks almost exactly like my normal updo does. And I wear them loosely enough that I could probably wash my hair IN the twists. And hopefully it will reducing the amount of time spent in the shower on wash day. But the twists do take ~1 hour to do and I'd have to redo them every wash day, so the time is still being spent. We'll see.

Laur
March 26th, 2016, 09:59 PM
My hair sheds mostly in the wash, and when I went through The Great Shed of 2015, I was having a HELL of a time even finger combing with conditioner in my hair. I'd end up with a whole handful of hair. It was awful, and I'm sure some of it was hairs that got pulled out when I was trying to work the sheds out of their great clumpy knots.

Now that my shedding has drastically reduced, I'm having much less trouble with it. I hope it doesn't become more of a problem as I approach classic, and hopefully I won't have another awful giant shed anytime soon.

CurlyCap
March 30th, 2016, 12:21 AM
Lol. Washing in twists was a BAD IDEA. Yeppers. The stretched hair in twists reverted in the water and everything matted up. Whoops.

I think in order to remove the sheds I will be forced to do things in two steps. Day 1: Cowash as usual. Day 2: Brush in the shower. LWB between days 1 and 2.

And so the process gets loooooonger. :disgust:

YvetteVarie
March 30th, 2016, 08:14 AM
I'm late then CurlyCap. I was about to warn you about that. My hair mats when washed in twists. What works better for me is to wash in braids, maybe because my hair is more stretched and the extra tension helps to reduce the shrinkage. I look forward to finding out about your solutions. I'm only APL and I suffer from the same problem too. And like you, I'm not a fan of too many steps in haircare

Hairkay
March 30th, 2016, 10:16 AM
I'm late then CurlyCap. I was about to warn you about that. My hair mats when washed in twists. What works better for me is to wash in braids, maybe because my hair is more stretched and the extra tension helps to reduce the shrinkage. I look forward to finding out about your solutions. I'm only APL and I suffer from the same problem too. And like you, I'm not a fan of too many steps in haircare

I have to agree here. I mostly wash in plaits/braids.

MsPharaohMoan
March 31st, 2016, 10:58 AM
I don't have curly hair but lately I've been pinching the trapped hair from the bottom of my hemline and using my other hand to pinch upwards to find the knot that it is trapped in. Does that make any sense? So dragging my fingers it against the cuticle of the shed hair to find the knot it is trapped in and then working the knot. It comes away very easily by doing this, let me know if I need to explain that differently...

CurlyCap
March 31st, 2016, 11:05 PM

I have to agree here. I mostly wash in plaits/braids.

Thanks ladies! No worries, mistakes are how we learn.

I was excited about the twists because it just takes too much time to braid my hair at this point. The twists are much quicker to install.

I've been wearing twists for most of the last 2 weeks and it has actually been awesome how little work my hair has been. The amount of shed when I take the hair done is unchanged, but it's less stressful to deal with because I've done minimal work during the intermittent days.

I'm going to have to keep an eye on moisture though. When I wear my hair "loose" (i.e., buns) I moisturize daily in some way. In twists a LOT more product goes on the hair during the twisting process and it all seems still soft by the time I take them down....but I don't know if it's a system that will work long term.

Off to brush my hair in the shower!