PDA

View Full Version : Should I trim?

Avenie
January 6th, 2016, 03:11 AM
I've been growing out a pixie since mid-2013, and using all the LHC tips I feel like it's going really well. It's shoulder-length, getting close to APL, and with some trims near the beginning I was able to lose most of the layers and now I think there's only one still lingering in there somewhere. Stretching out washes, no heat, no ponytails, no elastic ties. For most of the growing process I used a claw clip, plastic with a softened texture so it didn't snag, and combed it gently. Now it's too heavy for the clip, so I hid it under hats in the winter and, at home, held it with wide bands or bandannas. I can now do some basic braids as well.

ANYWAY, obviously I don't have superpowers and, as I'm trying out an anti-breakage shampoo rather than a silicone-smoother, I can see the fuzz of shorter hairs poking out of the main length. I don't have split ends. The ends of those shorties aren't split, although some have a kink in them (my hair is poker-straight) and the actual ends of my hair are not split either. Or maybe they are kinking because they're simply new-grown hairs and aren't long and weighed-down yet?

I am wondering if I should just leave the mid-length fuzz because they're new hairs still growing and they're not split, so they're fine, or if I should trim off any kinked ends because they're broken and could split in the future. I don't want to be trimming for no reason, and I also don't want to have to trim too much later down the line because I have broken ones turning into splits. I've looked up end-trimming and dusting (with the twists) but my hair isn't particularly thick and I don't want to be trimming off baby hairs by mistake.

furnival
January 6th, 2016, 03:57 AM
There will always be shorter hairs poking out of the main length; that's how hair grows. ("All one length" doesn't mean that every hair on your head is the same length- just that you don't have layers.). I wouldn't trim unless you're certain you need to. If you search through small sections of your hair, you'll be able to see any actual splits and cut them out. There's no point trimming ends that aren't split or damaged. :)

bunneh.
January 6th, 2016, 04:37 AM
Like the poster above me said, you will never have absolutely all of the hairs on your head the exact same length, unless you want to keep it super short, but even then you'll get a few shorter pieces sticking out. That is completely normal and nothing to worry about. If you want to maintain health of your hair try doing some S&D to eliminate split ends in case and when you get some. Other than that there's really no point in cutting hair, if you're willing to grow it long and it looks healthy. Since your hair is getting longer and longer now you might want to consider moisturizing and conditioning hair if you're not already doing that to keep your ends nice and healthy and prevent them from splitting. If your ends get a bit sad across your hemline, then you can try some microtrimming and that should improve the health and hemline a bit as well.

TR
January 6th, 2016, 08:54 AM
The shorter hairs are definitely normal but can be vexing if they like to stick out a lot. Sometimes the shorter hairs seem to have a different texture than the rest of the hair too. My gray hairs especially seem to be different; coarser and much wavier than my mostly fine straight brown hair. I'm currently at long pixie length and I still have a few shorter hairs poking out. There's a particularly bouncy gray hair that stands straight up along my part and is very wavy. If the hairs aren't damaged there's no reason to trim them if you don't want to.

lapushka
January 6th, 2016, 09:14 AM
As previous posters so eloquently put it: it's normal. :) It's how hair grows. You never ever have all hairs an even length, so you basically can't be OCD about hair or you'll drive yourself nuts. :lol:

furnival
January 6th, 2016, 09:21 AM
you basically can't be OCD about hair or you'll drive yourself nuts. :lol:
...and we're all speaking from experience, believe me :p Took me years to realise that.

Avenie
January 6th, 2016, 10:27 AM
Thanks everyone! This is my first time with long hair (I had it long as a child but never paid it any attention) so I still have to get used to basic stuff :) And still trying not to be too OCD. I'll keep an eye on the ends and save plenty of money on salon trims.

Lianna
January 6th, 2016, 05:52 PM
The ends of those shorties aren't split, although some have a kink in them (my hair is poker-straight) and the actual ends of my hair are not split either. Or maybe they are kinking because they're simply new-grown hairs and aren't long and weighed-down yet?

The kink could be from wearing those new hair bands, even though they're wide. It often happens to me and sometimes even with a hairstick updo if the ends are oddly folded. Air dry without touching and look at your ends again, they'll probably be gone. Oiling helps to keep them smooth too.