PDA

View Full Version : Help, I got caught in the rain!

lunasea
January 5th, 2016, 08:28 PM
Okay, I have a major problem keeping the frizz down. Today, I got caught in a downpour and didn't look in a mirror until long after my hair dried. This is the result. The bulk of my hair was up in a bun. What you see here are the short hairs around my face that never seem to grow. They are a combination of straight and curly hair. Because they are different in terms of wave, they don't dry in defined waves. Instead, they get all crazy. To top it off, when the hair on the sides of my face dries naturally it tends to stick straight out for about 1.5 inches before it bends. All in all, it's not pretty. What would you do with this mess? I'm at a loss....http://i340.photobucket.com/albums/o345/slashandfang/017_zpsqjvovr5d.jpg (http://s340.photobucket.com/user/slashandfang/media/017_zpsqjvovr5d.jpg.html)http://i340.photobucket.com/albums/o345/slashandfang/006_zps4qx88brr.jpg (http://s340.photobucket.com/user/slashandfang/media/006_zps4qx88brr.jpg.html)

Sarahlabyrinth
January 5th, 2016, 08:30 PM
Well I think it looks dainty and pretty.

spirals
January 5th, 2016, 08:35 PM
Do you have any spray detangler? I'd spray my detangler brush heavily and go to town, starting with the ends. It calms it down and I get nice waves out of it. Once the detangler dries I spray my boar brush with oil and do a once-over.

spidermom
January 5th, 2016, 08:40 PM
I like to twirl messes like that around very lightly gelled fingers to coax pretty curlies.

lunasea
January 5th, 2016, 08:41 PM
Do you have any spray detangler? I'd spray my detangler brush heavily and go to town, starting with the ends. It calms it down and I get nice waves out of it. Once the detangler dries I spray my boar brush with oil and do a once-over.

Hmmm, I've never tried this. I don't have a detangling spray...any recommendations.

Well I think it looks dainty and pretty.

Thank you, but if you saw it in person you might have another opinion. It kind of makes me look like a crazy old lady who escaped from the home. I've had people literally laugh in my face on seeing my hair in this state.

lunasea
January 5th, 2016, 08:43 PM
I like to twirl messes like that around very lightly gelled fingers to coax pretty curlies.

Twirling on gelled fingers...I've never thought of that. It may work...I will have to experiement. The straight hairs usually don't cooperate with my attempts at scrunching though...

copperlites
January 5th, 2016, 08:45 PM
SNAP! My mixed texture hair suffers the same problem. I feel your pain and am following advice with mindful enthusiasm.

spirals
January 5th, 2016, 08:54 PM
Hmmm, I've never tried this. I don't have a detangling spray...any recommendations. I'm currently using Suave for Kids, but I'm looking for a better one. It will work if I use a LOT of it. It doesn't make it greasy or anything. And my hair smells like apples. :D

Swan Maiden
January 5th, 2016, 08:59 PM
I think Spidermom is onto something. My hair does that every day, rain or shine. Flax seed gel or conditioner water helps, but nothing really lasts on me.

lunasea
January 5th, 2016, 08:59 PM
Thanks spirals, I'll check it out.

lunasea
January 5th, 2016, 09:00 PM
I think Spidermom is onto something. My hair does that every day, rain or shine. Flax seed gel or conditioner water helps, but nothing really lasts on me.

Same here, the hair in that picture was saturated with flax seed gel on wash day.

spirals
January 5th, 2016, 09:02 PM
Humidity is definitely the enemy I am always fighting in spring, summer, and snowstorms.

Swan Maiden
January 5th, 2016, 09:03 PM
Same here, the hair in that picture was saturated with flax seed gel on wash day.

In that case, embrace it. It's very shieldmaidenish or forest dweller. :)

lunasea
January 5th, 2016, 09:05 PM
I wouldn't mind if it would curl with some kind of order. All in all, it looks like I stuck my finger in an electrical outlet.

lunasea
January 5th, 2016, 09:05 PM
In that case, embrace it. It's very shieldmaidenish or forest dweller. :)

I wish; more like disheveled bag lady. My wrinkles and lack of make-up probably don't help...:rollin:

school of fish
January 5th, 2016, 09:13 PM
Are you asking how to prevent it or how to deal with it after the fact? :)

I get this kind of thing too - although it doesn't take a rainshower for me, just wearing any kind of updo for a couple hours is enough to form a halo, haha! My errant strands are quite straight though, and manage somehow to be kind of poofy and droopy at the same time - it's weird!

I have no advice toward prevention - any attempts I make to secure the halo fail terribly and look terrible in the failing, so I stopped trying. Now I just focus on making it look deliberate. I give it some shape by misting with a little water and then coaxing it into place with a comb. A bit of product might give you some hold - water's enough for me but use whatever your hair likes :)

From your pics you look as though you might have enough curl to coax a ringlet or two by wrapping the strands around your finger - that would look really charming!

It takes a little experimenting and an open mind - you may have to let go of an expectation of a super smooth and sleek look. I've had to embrace the 'messy' look on virtually every braid and updo, and ironically have had people tell me they don't know how I get my hair to look so perfect - go figure!

Making accidents look like choices is the secret to stylish living anyway ;)

school of fish
January 5th, 2016, 09:16 PM
Ooh, lots of responses in the time I was writing mine ;)

Twirling sounds like a great suggestion - if that doesn't work then maybe keep a couple little decorative clips or combs in your purse for high-humidity emergencies? :)

lunasea
January 5th, 2016, 09:21 PM
I usually wrap my hair at night to smooth it out and I have short bangs which I flat iron (the only part of my hair touched by heat). I can grow out my bangs enough to fit into a bun but never the sides. When I've done this in the past I've ended up with a flat top and all this crazy fussiness sticking out in the sides. I just get so frustrated. I want to embrace natural hair but I don't want the rest of the humans to think I've lost my mind.

school of fish
January 5th, 2016, 09:29 PM
I usually wrap my hair at night to smooth it out and I have short bangs which I flat iron (the only part of my hair touched by heat). I can grow out my bangs enough to fit into a bun but never the sides. When I've done this in the past I've ended up with a flat top and all this crazy fussiness sticking out in the sides. I just get so frustrated. I want to embrace natural hair but I don't want the rest of the humans to think I've lost my mind.

Hmmm... understood...

A hairband perhaps? Tame the side bits by tucking them under the band?

lunasea
January 5th, 2016, 09:39 PM
Possibly a hair wrap. I might try that. With thin bands the hair just kind of sneaks out and around. Medusa's got nothing on me.

Quasiquixotic
January 5th, 2016, 10:13 PM
I get something like this. It's like little owl Tuffs at the tops of my temples. I just do side bangs/fringe.

lunasea
January 5th, 2016, 11:42 PM
I have never been able to understand how folks keep side bangs out of their eyes.

catasa
January 6th, 2016, 02:15 AM
Just a thought regarding your side hair refusing to grow - do you sleep on your side much, and do you sleep on silk pillow cases or regular cotton? I found when I switched to silk that my side/canopy frizz was very much reduced, and my hair started to feel much healthier/smoother after a while. A couple of nights on a cotton pillow case and the frizz is worse again. Mind you, I do still get frizz, I donīt think thereīs any way to avoid it completely, but a silk pillow case definitely made a difference for me!

lapushka
January 6th, 2016, 05:53 AM
Be sure to join the club! Yes, we have a club! :lol:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=131555

lunasea
January 6th, 2016, 07:55 AM
Just a thought regarding your side hair refusing to grow - do you sleep on your side much, and do you sleep on silk pillow cases or regular cotton? I found when I switched to silk that my side/canopy frizz was very much reduced, and my hair started to feel much healthier/smoother after a while. A couple of nights on a cotton pillow case and the frizz is worse again. Mind you, I do still get frizz, I donīt think thereīs any way to avoid it completely, but a silk pillow case definitely made a difference for me!
Got a bad back so sleep straight on my back...never on my side. Also sleep on a silk pillowcase with a silk sleep bonnet. Oh well :shrug:

lunasea
January 6th, 2016, 08:01 AM
Be sure to join the club! Yes, we have a club! :lol:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=131555
Already a member...

TR
January 6th, 2016, 08:38 AM
I second the hair wrap / wide headband suggestion. You can leave your bangs out, and maybe try to twist a few side strands into loose curls, and hopefully tame the rest with the headband or scarf.

lapushka
January 6th, 2016, 09:14 AM
Already a member...

Oh fabulous! :D

meteor
January 6th, 2016, 11:18 AM
Whatever happened with water alone can be easily undone with water alone. ;)

I'd just spray loose hair with water (or run damp hands over the hair) and then comb/brush it down into bun/style. You might need a tiny bit of leave-in conditioner/oil/serum/gel, but I don't think it's necessary. :blossom:

reilly0167
January 6th, 2016, 12:10 PM
I'm currently using Suave for Kids, but I'm looking for a better one. It will work if I use a LOT of it. It doesn't make it greasy or anything. And my hair smells like apples. :D

When my daughter was little I used a spray detangler from Sally's beauty supply its called miracle 7(blue bottle)..it works great..my little girl is now 19 and still uses it=)

Beborani
January 6th, 2016, 12:24 PM
I find pulling my hair back in a bun without parting gives me these. I did not mind the effect when I was younger but don't like them as I get older and find that parting my hair and pulling the hair along the direction of growth instead of against keeps them to a minimum.

lunasea
January 6th, 2016, 04:40 PM
I find pulling my hair back in a bun without parting gives me these. I did not mind the effect when I was younger but don't like them as I get older and find that parting my hair and pulling the hair along the direction of growth instead of against keeps them to a minimum.

This is an interesting concept. I don't wear a part. I will be trying this....

Nadine <3
January 6th, 2016, 08:46 PM
Oh! I get those too! The twirling suggestion is great, but sometimes it doesn't work super well, only when my hair feels like it. What I do is dampen them a bit and apply a very small amount of gel and then I wrap the bulk of them around a small foam roller. It doesn't take very long to dry, and then they all curl in the same direction.