PDA

View Full Version : Make Someone's Day

SwanFeathers
January 5th, 2016, 10:37 AM
After reading the "dumbest hair comments" thread, I have made a conscious effort to say something when I see someone with nice hair. I know when I get a compliment it really brightens my day, and it costs me nothing to give one to someone else. of course, I work in retail so I see hundreds of people a day, so I have plenty of opportunity.
Its usually something along the lines of "your hair is awesome!" "I love your grey!"

So am I alone in this? or are their other gutsy girls/guys who love to speak up and say something nice?

Quasiquixotic
January 5th, 2016, 10:39 AM
Nope! I do this too! Especially when I see pretty silver/white haired folks.

Zesty
January 5th, 2016, 10:41 AM
The other day I Facebook messaged someone I hadn't talked to in years to tell her that her hair was pretty and that she looked great with long hair. When I knew her she had a pixie and used to admire my HL hair, so when I saw that she had actually grown it out I had to say something. She did say it made her day, especially since she's been going through some tough things lately.

Hooray for random kind comments! :)

hennalonghair
January 5th, 2016, 10:44 AM
You are not alone. I often go up to complete strangers ( which I don't normally like doing ) and compliment them on their hair. I watch their face intently and see the change in it as they comprehend what has just been said to them and their face usually brightens right up. I truly think it DOES brighten up their day which feels nice for me also. We BOTH leave the transaction smiling :sun:

AspenSong
January 5th, 2016, 10:51 AM
I try to do this in general with people....Whether it be hair or something else. I know it lifts my spirits if something says something to me (My most noticed "thing" is my Dr Who Lanyard I carry my keys on...lmao...I get a comment on it like once a week it seems like) and they notice and say something.

Ocalee
January 5th, 2016, 10:56 AM
I love to receive compliments on my hair so it only stands to reason that other folks, for the most part, would enjoy receiving compliments as well. I especially love it when the compliment comes from a stranger. If they go out of their way to compliment you, you can be sure it's sincere. I compliment folks when they impress me.

Jo Ann
January 5th, 2016, 06:22 PM
My favorite compliment to give someone else on their hair is, "I'm jealous!" then I explain why I'm jealous--length, texture, shine... :)

mermaid lullaby
January 5th, 2016, 06:29 PM
Nope! I haven't don't that.

Maybe I should :)

Freija
January 5th, 2016, 06:37 PM
That's so lovely! I know that if a stranger ever went out of their way to say something nice to me (especially about my hair, which is the physical bit of me that means the most to me), it would make my day. I should do it to other people - plenty of times I've seen someone with stunning hair - but I get anxious and worried about causing upset or offense...

copperlites
January 5th, 2016, 07:00 PM
Yes, I do this all the time too. I work in a high school so see lots of long Virgin hair, some of it better cared for than others, as well as lots of abused hair. I do compliment those girls who look after their hair. It they all wear it loose nearly all the time and I try not to cringe when I see them throw bags over their shoulders or trap hair between seats and clothing.

Amapola
January 5th, 2016, 07:22 PM
Oh yeah. I will walk up to strangers at the supermarket and compliment their hair. Or... I'll say how fantastic their jacket is. Or what an awesome piece of jewelry... just whatever really catches my eye and makes me sit up and say WOW! That is gorgeous! And because I'm sincere, I think it does make someone's day. :) And it's so easy to do! :)

Ellethwyn
January 5th, 2016, 08:13 PM
It's always so nice to receive hair compliments! I like to give compliments, too. Sometimes I didn't when I really wanted to, and i always regret not saying anything.

Red.
January 5th, 2016, 08:22 PM
I'm shy so it can be difficult to speak up sometimes. Just a couple days ago, I actually did compliment a woman about her hair slide, and she didn't seem too happy about it... I just keep my mouth shut generally because it seems like people don't want to be talked to. Or they don't take compliments very well. Oh well. I always appreciate when someone goes out of their way to say something nice to me. :)

Sarahlabyrinth
January 5th, 2016, 08:27 PM
Oh yes, I love doing this! It's so much fun to see the person's face light up and them looking surprised and delighted at the compliment. I nearly always compliment hair because that's what I notice the most.

AZDesertRose
January 5th, 2016, 09:29 PM
I try to be a generally polite and pleasant person (most of the time; everybody has bad days and all). I find the world is easier to navigate if one treats other people with a modicum of dignity and respect. That said, I don't often throw compliments at complete strangers because I don't want to seem creepy (it depends on the exact situation, of course) but on the elevator making small talk with my neighbors, I'll compliment someone's hairstyle or jewelry (especially earrings, I have a thing for earrings) or outfit.

There's one older black lady who lives in my building who wears her lovely silver hair in the prettiest, most interesting braided styles. I don't know if she braids it herself (I'd think it might be difficult to do some of the more intricate braided styles on one's own head) or if she has it done (professionally or maybe a family member does it for her), but it always looks beautiful, so I usually say something to her when I see her about how cool her hair looks.

trolleypup
January 6th, 2016, 01:11 AM
I specialize in drive-by compliments. Keep it simple. Doesn't put an obligation on the other person to respond...nor do I expect them to...because I know most of the time I'm not really interested in having a conversation.

Oh, and always remember to have my hair down...for the "professional courtesy" factor. Better than appearing to be just another creepy guy.

Mimha
January 6th, 2016, 10:07 AM
I try to do this in general with people....Whether it be hair or something else. I know it lifts my spirits if something says something to me (My most noticed "thing" is my Dr Who Lanyard I carry my keys on...lmao...I get a comment on it like once a week it seems like) and they notice and say something.

AspenSong, just to tell you your bun on your profile pic is to die for !! :thud:
Such nice color, and such nice snail rolling !... :crush:

It's a compliment thread after all, isn't it ?? :D

SwanFeathers
January 6th, 2016, 10:31 AM
Sometimes I can get people to engage in pleasant conversation.
the optometrist where I work has long healthy silver hair, and when I mentioned how I loved her gray, she seemed surprised but quickly chatted me up on natural hair care.
It's was fun to see her come out of her shell a little, it gave me the impression that most people give her grief for being a renegray

Brunettebybirth
January 6th, 2016, 01:18 PM
My favorite compliment to give someone else on their hair is, "I'm jealous!" then I explain why I'm jealous--length, texture, shine... :)

I do the same exact thing.