PDA

View Full Version : What is that sound?

CreatureBailey
January 4th, 2016, 02:14 PM
Hi. You know when you finger detangle your hair or comb it or stuff like that, sometimes you actually snap it and it does a sharp loud sound like ''Tic!!!!'' but sometimes when I detangle my hair it does small sounds that are not necessary loud it just does like ''tic'' but I was wondering what does that small sound mean? Like I am careful in general when detangling Bailey (my hair) but sometimes they do that and.. does it mean that: :confused:

1) it snapped, just not as hard as when it's a huge TIC!!!
2) it's just the sound it makes when we make them ''vibrate'' when they get pulled slightly with the detangling and then set free so it vibrate like guitar strings and that's what makes the sound?

I really hope it's the 2nd option that would reassure me much when it happens! But if it's not is there any tips and tricks to make it snap less?

Yarrow
January 4th, 2016, 02:19 PM
Unfortunately, I do think it's no. 1.
And since I hear it way to often myself, especially when putting a hair stick in my updo, I'm also looking forward to reading tips and tricks to prevent it.

meteor
January 4th, 2016, 02:30 PM
I'm not sure about this sound, but I think you could test it by detangling over a surface in contrasting color and when you hear that sound, stop and check the strand to see if there is a broken strand, you could shake that strand a bit and see if any broken bits are falling out.

And since I hear it way to often myself, especially when putting a hair stick in my updo, I'm also looking forward to reading tips and tricks to prevent it.

Try bunning more loosely and when you use a hairstick, go very slowly, kind of weaving it in, without too much angling/leverage, release the tension/twist a bit if needed, and never torque aggressively. This should help prevent both breakage and buns pulling on scalp uncomfortably.

lapushka
January 4th, 2016, 02:50 PM
Possibly try and be more gentle. I used to hear those sounds a lot when I was a teen (and not careful). I now weekly detangle with caution. Comb first, brush second, and I barely get those sounds. If you comb through and it is about to snap, pull back and go through more gently.

Yarrow
January 4th, 2016, 03:31 PM
Hmm, yes I could definitely try being slower and more gentle.
But I always find the snaps to be tricky, because it always happen when you least expect it for some reason.

MsPharaohMoan
January 4th, 2016, 04:30 PM
If snapping happens when you least expect it, you're probably not being conscious enough of your hair's tension with the comb. I'm getting to the point where I recognize this but sometimes only after it's snapped. D'oh! It's a learning curve I suppose :P

yahirwaO.o
January 4th, 2016, 04:44 PM

Oh my Lord!!! shudder:shudder:shudder: That stick insert sound makes me cringe so much. When I was trying sticks (and never really got it) for bunning, I hear that sound and my scalp was left so hurt. That's when I gave up and move to U-pins and scrunchies, seriously it's great for most hair types, but mine is so slick and stubborn that I prefer to please my scalp and baby treat it!

.... and the occasional snap while detangling is ok, but if I finger comb or comb it before brushing, its pretty unlikely to happen!

Annalouise
January 4th, 2016, 04:56 PM
Combs are not my friends. :steam
If I want a :slap: I'll use a comb.

What I prefer is to finger comb, and then use a soft boar's bristle brush that is so bendy and soft it won't break any hairs.:D

Zindell
January 4th, 2016, 11:10 PM
Like I am careful in general when detangling Bailey (my hair) ...

Let's take a moment to appreciate that someone actually named their hair. :o