PDA

View Full Version : Bun headaches

WaitingSoLong
January 4th, 2016, 12:36 PM
I don't know why all the sudden every updo I usually wear is giving me a headache. My go-to's are the L infinity, the gibralter and sometimes the LWB. My hair does not want to do a nautilus at this length.

High or low, Sticks, forks, elastics, spin pins. No help. I even tried twisting everything the opposite direction.

I cannot handle the daily headaches. It's enough to make me want to chop my hair off but even then I would need a ponytail occasionally and that would cause a headache, too. The headaches usually start after a couple hours of having my hair up.

A braid is better, but not practical in winter. The static frizzes it out in an hour, plus it catches on zippers.

So here's hoping someone can suggest a bun I haven't tried. I have been here years so there is not much I haven't tried. I know there are some weight-distribution techniques but I do not want elastic damage. Anyone have a miracle out there?

Sarahlabyrinth
January 4th, 2016, 12:51 PM
What about the frame bun? (Do a Lazy Wrap Pony Bun, insert fork/stick, then wrap the remainder of the hair any way you please around the bun and tuck in the ends).

Have you tried bunning right on top of your head? It makes the bun feel a whole lot lighter and it doesn't pull.

meteor
January 4th, 2016, 12:51 PM
How about doing 2 or more buns instead of one? You could stack them on top of each other (vertically), or side by side (horizontally) and see which way is more comfortable and looks better for you. I find doing 2 buns side-by-side is easier to section than on top of each other (a-la Faux-hawk), but vertical sectioning may be better for weight distribution...

Also, check out the Regency bun (doing 2 braids wrapping around or going into a bun, from bottom sections or top sections) it helps with distribution a bit. Another thing that can help is doing a coronet + bun combination: 1 or 2 coronet braids (headband braids) and bunning the remainder of the hair.

Check out sectioning techniques: start from a smaller bun from a half-up, and then just twist/braid and wrap the remaining hair around the base bun, securing with a U-pin or a claw-clip...

Swan Maiden
January 4th, 2016, 01:07 PM
I've been having this issue lately. A French Braid with the braided length bunned helps immensely.

Sarahlabyrinth
January 4th, 2016, 01:15 PM
I think it certainly can happen with longer hair.

papayatree
January 4th, 2016, 01:18 PM
I had my hair in a little bun last night, no headache, however the bigger the bun, the more tension on the head, thus headaches caused by tension. Hair Physics 101.

missrandie
January 4th, 2016, 01:18 PM
I forget the name of it, but Gossamer did a video on one particular style where the hair was essentially twisted all the way around the head. it looked really pretty, and looked like it might be lovely for weight distribution.

Also, I'm seconding the sectioning.

Just out of curiosity, where is your headache? Is it at the temples, in your scalp, at the base of your neck, etc.

Linguaphilia
January 4th, 2016, 01:40 PM
The faux crown braid is a style I've been wearing more and more as my hair grew (heavier). I occasionally do sectioned buns (cinnabun on top, lower section braided and wrapped around cinnabun) and more seldom two vertically placed buns.

meteor
January 4th, 2016, 01:47 PM
I forget the name of it, but Gossamer did a video on one particular style where the hair was essentially twisted all the way around the head. it looked really pretty, and looked like it might be lovely for weight distribution.

Oh yes, it's called Eternal Roll, I think. :) Here is Gossamer's video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHbo_BUhuxc

lapushka
January 4th, 2016, 03:20 PM
Are you sure the headaches are from the buns? Is it only when you wear a bun, and not when you leave your hair loose for a day? I think that would be the ultimate test here. Just to eliminate that it is or isn't from the buns. To be sure.

And what kind of headache are we talking about here? Just some tension (might be easily fixable with different bunning techniques), or a *real* doggone headache?

I get migraines quite a bit, but I do know that's not from bunning (hormonal).

yahirwaO.o
January 4th, 2016, 04:25 PM
And what kind of headache are we talking about here? Just some tension (might be easily fixable with different bunning techniques), or a *real* doggone headache?

I get migraines quite a bit, but I do know that's not from bunning (hormonal).

Yes, a proper headache is quite different from a sore scalp (which the usual pain from updos). And yes sectioning helps quite a lot. My hair is not the happiest with certain high updos, but sectioning helps and the soreness decreases a lot. Starting with a half up bunning and then braiding the rest looks super complicated when it's so damn easy!

WaitingSoLong
January 4th, 2016, 08:19 PM
Just out of curiosity, where is your headache? Is it at the temples, in your scalp, at the base of your neck, etc.

Are you sure the headaches are from the buns?

I am a migraine sufferer and these are close to being migraines but they are wherever the bun is and have accompanying scalp soreness. The scalp soreness is worse if I wear high buns than low. The actual headache is worse on the low buns. I am not sure what has changed...I used to wear buns all day with no issues. :shrug:

Thing is, nothing takes the headache away except to take it out of the bun (tried all the usual OTC meds plus my migraine Rx). Once I have a headache, even a braid hurts.

Ok, I cannot do anything crown-like. I just...it looks horrid on me. I have a widow's peak and the hair forward of my ears is super thin and just won't braid.

I have done sectioned buns before, I will try this (the half-up bun with the rest wrapped around the bun and secured separately). Dualies do not hurt as bad but I have the worst time getting them symmetrical. I do want to actually leave the house with whatever style it is.

I am not sure what some of the suggestions are so I will look them up as well as follow the link(s) provided. Thanks peeps.

WaitingSoLong
January 4th, 2016, 08:20 PM
Starting with a half up bunning and then braiding the rest looks super complicated when it's so damn easy!

Can you explain this further please? Braiding the rest...? I cannot envision this. Do you mean braiding the rest and wrapping it around the bun?

WaitingSoLong
January 4th, 2016, 08:27 PM
What about the frame bun? (Do a Lazy Wrap Pony Bun, insert fork/stick, then wrap the remainder of the hair any way you please around the bun and tuck in the ends).

Have you tried bunning right on top of your head? It makes the bun feel a whole lot lighter and it doesn't pull.

Could you explain the first part a bit more? What is a lazy wrap pony bun?

I think where I bun does't matter as much as the way I secure it. It seems one part always takes most of the tension. The headache is usually confined to a very small area, like the size of a silver dollar. Once it aches there is no getting rid of it. :/

yahirwaO.o
January 4th, 2016, 08:39 PM
Can you explain this further please? Braiding the rest...? I cannot envision this. Do you mean braiding the rest and wrapping it around the bun?

Yes!!!! :D You can twist-braid around the previous half up bun!!!!

1) First you dive half of your hair and make whatever bun you want!
2) With the remaining hair twist or braid around the first bun.

.... but Torrin explains this much better!!!! and has better alternatives!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZvXrEOfJ4w

Sarahlabyrinth
January 5th, 2016, 12:54 AM

Here's a link to my Lazy Wrap Pony Bun :)

https://youtu.be/Umz6pNWk9oQ

stachelbeere
January 5th, 2016, 05:38 AM
what about a crown braid...? It's the most comfortable style I know. If you need to wear a hat that would be tricky though. Or how about an elling woman bun? it's also quiet comfortable. Have you tried using little claw clips around the edges of the bun/s? Or French braiding then coiling into a bun?

WaitingSoLong
January 5th, 2016, 06:21 AM
Here's a link to my Lazy Wrap Pony Bun :)

https://youtu.be/Umz6pNWk9oQ

That's quite clever! I will try this.

what about a crown braid...? It's the most comfortable style I know. If you need to wear a hat that would be tricky though. Or how about an elling woman bun? it's also quiet comfortable. Have you tried using little claw clips around the edges of the bun/s? Or French braiding then coiling into a bun?

I noted earlier I have very thin fore-hair so cannot do anything crown braids. I also couldn't do the elling for this reason. I have tried claw clips. I hate them LOL. I have not tried the french braid thing...again, my thin front hair really works against me. Plus I have fringe I am growing out and it is at an awkward length (mouth length) but I could try it with lots of hairspray.

Ava Ruu
January 5th, 2016, 07:12 AM
Does the area where the pain is located feel sore or are the hairs pulling before the pain starts? If there are just a small amount of hairs that pull could you loosen them? I sort of put a finger between the bun and the hairs going into the bun and press slightly towards my scalp when the bun is otherwise ok but there is a small bit that is too tight. One has to be a bit careful with the loosening because it does not take much to make it comfortable again but too much adjustment makes the entire bun sag. For me the pulling tends to focus on the area where I insert the stick and it is usually easy to feel the tighter hair strands with fingers.

Anje
January 5th, 2016, 12:12 PM
Are you doing your buns snug or loose? I tend to find that loose ones pull more on certain sections and hurt after a while.

lillielil
January 5th, 2016, 01:06 PM
Where is the area that is getting pulled? If it is toward the front, you could try gossamer's twists to take the pressure off the area. It works well for me and my hair is pretty darn thin at the front. You may even be able to get your growing-out bangs in the twists too.