PDA

View Full Version : Making thick curly hair look presentable without brushing

kira33
January 3rd, 2016, 07:56 PM
I have fairly thick, curly hair that gets VERY frizzy when I brush it. I only brush before washing, and generally wear it in a bun every day.

I would like to start wearing my hair down, but am wondering how to make it look less messy on the days when I don't wash it. If I comb or brush it, it is horribly frizzy. Actually, it is pretty frizzy even when I don't brush, which is why I never wear it down in the first place.

I am clueless as to how to make myself look presentable, especially if I go a few days without washing.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Anje
January 3rd, 2016, 08:03 PM
Do you use leave-ins? Most curlies need something to help them get good curl definition and keep the frizz down to an acceptable level. The easiest method I know is to comb some conditioner through in the shower and only partly rinse it out, then wrap your hair to dry in a t-shirt rather than a towel (as the terrycloth tends to grab individual hairs and pull them out of the clumps, creating frizz). More intensive methods involve using hair gel (scrunch your hair after to make it not crunchy), curling creams, and a whole bunch of other things that I haven't had to deal with for my marginally wavy hair.

jeanniet
January 3rd, 2016, 11:25 PM
I think your hair is curlier than you think; at least 3a and possibly 3b. Look into curly girl method, which will give you some ideas, but the essential is to wash either with conditioner only or with a sulfate-free shampoo (gentler), lots of conditioning, detangle only when wet and full of conditioner, and use leave in. Enhancing the moisture level in your hair will bring out the curl pattern, allow them to clump more, and reduce frizz. When you comb or brush your dry hair, you're breaking up the curl pattern which causes the frizz. I have far less tangles and frizz now, detangling only every few days when I wash, than I ever did when I detangled twice a day in a desperate attempt to get my hair to behave. I didn't understand that I was just making things worse. Whether you use additional products or not is up to you (I do use gel, but not a whole lot), but I think just adding more moisture and using leave in will make a big difference for you.

lapushka
January 4th, 2016, 02:57 AM
Do not brush it out on the 2nd day. Don't even let a comb touch it. Just gently scrunch and dampen with a spray bottle filled with water or water with a squirt of conditioner added, this to "liven" up the curls. Leave it be for the rest and you should be fine.

reilly0167
January 4th, 2016, 08:11 AM
Curly girl here=)...what I do is mist my hair....enough to get some clumping action going on...scrunch and finger style meaning no brushing no comb....the only time a comb touches my hair is wash day with conditioner (co wash) to remove tangles...I agree with lapushka and Anje on the recommendations=)

Upside Down
January 4th, 2016, 10:22 AM
Definetly look into curly girl method.

What worked for me: wash and detangle with condishioner in.

After wash and turban towel for a while, I'd let it down, comb and use leave in or whatever product I used to define curl. Then scrunch wet hair and leave it be for an hour or so. Then turn my head upside down and blow dry with the diffuser.

On days two or three I could dampen and redo it.

Forget about bunning and then letting it down. You will have to re wet it to define curl as they all get deformed in the bun.

Beborani
January 4th, 2016, 10:36 AM
What you do while sleeping matters a lot especially for longer hair. Sleeping on silk keeps my curls intact and not doing so can really mess up my hair as I found out recently. After first day, curls will feel like tangles as some shed hair will be caught in them. You have to train yourself to ignore them and just groom your hair with fingers and maybe watered down conditioner. I do comb my hair at the scalp to arrange the part but do not run the comb through the length.

sarahthegemini
January 4th, 2016, 12:25 PM
Apply a leave in conditioner after washing and do not manipulate it whilst it's drying. Don't comb/brush unless it's in the shower with a good detangler /conditioner.

lapushka
January 4th, 2016, 12:32 PM
For the curly girl method. You can find some information online, but I do recommend getting the book by Lorraine Massey. It's priceless! It taught me so much about my wavy texture, even though I can't follow the CG method to a T due to seborrheic dermatitis.

Isilme
January 4th, 2016, 12:37 PM
Brushes are the bane of curly hair. Bf has curly hair and his hair has never been as bad as it was when he was using a brush. A wide toothed comb without sharp edges is much better, however, you may not even be able to comb it without frizz.

cat11
January 5th, 2016, 06:23 AM
hmmm your hair reminds me of mine in your avvie, my hair looks just like that when its not stretched and combed all out. If im not going to comb it I have to use leave in on wet/damp hair and do the plopping thing in a t shirt... curly girl method all the way

I can also get good results day 2-7 wide tooth combing slowly, following with a hand to smooth it down after applying leave in. the slowly thing and the hand smoothing over make a huge difference. The right moisturizer for your ends does too. Cantu shea butter leave in , in the white tub, is great and gives good slip, shine, and eats frizz for breakfast. Blue magic is another good one. Both you can get a walmart. Sunflower oil is great, too. And argan. I just used cantu last night.... its the bomb.

Your hair frizzes (partly, largely) cause it needs moisture. The hairs look outward and flywaway seeking moisture it cant find in itself. If you make your hair moisturized it will frizz less and "stay home" cause it has what it needs

kira33
January 16th, 2016, 05:22 PM
Thank you for the wonderful advice! I am so grateful to everyone who took the time to respond to my post. I have been reading about the curly girl method and tightly curly method and am attaching a photo of what my hair looks like upon waking now, after using the curly girl method. It is definitely less frizzy, but still looks rather 'wild". I am going to experiment with other methods and products to see if it makes a difference. I had no idea my hair was needing more moisture. This is a revelation for me, and I am so thankful!

I don't feel comfortable wearing my hair down at work since it still seems "messy", but now I have run into the problem of not being able to get it neatly up into a bun without brushing it lol. I tried just putting it into a ponytail and twisting it, but I didn't look very professional. I guess I'm used to brushing it and to the neat/slick look when it's all combed back tightly.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=20983&d=1452989252

CoveredByLove
January 16th, 2016, 05:34 PM
I don't feel comfortable wearing my hair down at work since it still seems "messy", but now I have run into the problem of not being able to get it neatly up into a bun without brushing it lol. I tried just putting it into a ponytail and twisting it, but I didn't look very professional. I guess I'm used to brushing it and to the neat/slick look when it's all combed back tightly.]

I recommend doing a Snowymoon moisture treatment to kickstart the moisture levels in your hair. http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=128 I definately see some nice curls starting to form there! The more conditioned your hair gets, the more smooth and defined your curls will look.

chen bao jun
January 16th, 2016, 05:43 PM
You have beautiful hair.
I agree, use even more moisture, the SMT treatment Coveredbylove mentions is wonderful, its in the recipes thread.
I suggest that before going the gel and curl cream route, see what your hair will do when it just has the proper amount of moisture, some of us curlies (I am one) don't need curl products to curl, just moisture, sealed in with oil).

You can wear you hair up for work (unless you dislike that look), just bun loosely with a hairfriendly stick or toy and smooth the edges slightly with aloe vera gel to keep the flyaways in . I don't brush even my edges very often even when I am using an updo, because once I do, I will have frizz when I take my hair down.

And yeah, brushes are your enemy as a curly girl (except the denman brush when wet and filled with conditioner). Combing doesn't even work for me (but I'm a tightly curly, you may be able to use a wide toothed comb). Anything that breaks up individual curls is going to lead to frizz, increased (unwanted) appearance of volume, poufiness and hair sticking out sideways at right angles, very very not good for work where you want it to seem that you can control your hair (even if you actually can't)

picklepie
January 18th, 2016, 09:20 PM
As a curly you kind of have to decide, every "reset" (wetting your hair), what you want-- smooth up do with stretched hair? Curls worn down? I can do a hybrid-- curls up in a loose bun-- but if I do it for a whole day, I can't then wear my hair down the next day (not that I ever wear it down!). Refreshing with a spray bottle and gentle scrunching works if I've slept with my curls down.

I don't know what your workplace culture is like, but most places I've worked, it would be challenging to wear very long curly hair down at work and be considered "appropriate". Or straight hair, for that matter, if it was very long. It's just not "office generic" enough, I guess. :/

Daydreamer.
January 20th, 2016, 03:58 AM
Brushing makes curly hair poofy. Try using gels or creams to define your curls, then braid it or bun it. Use bobby pins to keep shorter pieces from sticking out.