PDA

View Full Version : How much oil for overnight treatment?

Obsidian
January 3rd, 2016, 09:05 AM
I'm curious as to the amount of oil everyone uses when they do a overnight oil soak? I did a treatment with fractionated coconut oil last night and it was a bit tough to wash out, made me think I'm using too much. I completely saturate my hair, not dripping but there isn't a dry strand to be found. For my short thick hair, it takes 3-4 Tbsp of oil.

Zesty
January 3rd, 2016, 09:14 AM
I do the "sheen on the hands" thing repeatedly until my hair is ever-so-slightly piecey at the ends. I've tried the saturation thing and I also found it difficult to wash out. I think that just a little bit works better, at least for me.

sarahthegemini
January 3rd, 2016, 09:39 AM
Put on as much as you think your hair will be able to absorb. There's no point putting on so much that your hair can't soak it up. Personally if I do an overnight treatment, I add just a couple drops (or scrapings) of coconut oil.

diddiedaisy
January 3rd, 2016, 09:59 AM
I put enough on to make my hair look greasy. If you soak your hair in conditioner for five minutes before you wash it, the oil should easily come off.

lapushka
January 3rd, 2016, 11:36 AM
I'm curious as to the amount of oil everyone uses when they do a overnight oil soak? I did a treatment with fractionated coconut oil last night and it was a bit tough to wash out, made me think I'm using too much. I completely saturate my hair, not dripping but there isn't a dry strand to be found. For my short thick hair, it takes 3-4 Tbsp of oil.

That is a lot even for thicker hair, for such short hair I mean. I mean it's not short-short but it's not long either.

I'd use 1 tablespoon, maybe 2, but that's it. Half of what you're using now.

If you have to wash multiple times to get the oil out, it is a bit counterproductive as well.

renia22
January 3rd, 2016, 11:52 AM
My hair is APL and fine, and I use a tiny scraping, maybe the size of a half a grain of rice, on ends only, and even then I find it doesn't always wash out completely (even using various methods that are supposed to help with the washing out). I concentrate on using as little as possible, but enough that some gets on there, and keep it on for 14+ hours for penetration. With coconut oil I think less is definitely more (for my thin hair at least), but the longer left on, the better.

Obsidian
January 3rd, 2016, 02:18 PM
That is a lot even for thicker hair, for such short hair I mean. I mean it's not short-short but it's not long either.

I'd use 1 tablespoon, maybe 2, but that's it. Half of what you're using now.

If you have to wash multiple times to get the oil out, it is a bit counterproductive as well.

Thats what I though. I kept adding oil until I didn't see any dry spots and it can take a lot to fully saturate my hair. I don't know if its because my hair is soaking it in or because my hair is thick. I probably could have only washed once but I get paranoid my hair will look oily. I very rarely oil my hair like this, next time I will just try a little oil.

I did find out that fractionated coconut oil doesn't seem to bother my SD. There is no itchies, sore or other issues. My scalp feels really nice today and my hair is shiny but a bit fluffy.

Sarahlabyrinth
January 3rd, 2016, 02:26 PM
I use about as much as it takes to make my hair look like greasy roots all over. Maybe a tablespoon?

meteor
January 3rd, 2016, 03:05 PM
For me, it depends... If my hair is super-dry (e.g. in winter) and I haven't oiled or deep conditioned it in ages, I might use more (a few tablespoons), but if it's reasonably moisturized, I can use just a teaspoon or so. I wouldn't use more than the hair can absorb, because it's a waste of product and it's much harder to wash out. I do this overnight and, ideally, the shine from the oil should be completely gone by the time I'm ready to wash the oil out. (Some of it gets absorbed and some of it gets rubbed off on things.)

When I first started oiling, I could get away with using a lot more, maybe half-a-cup or so, but that's because my hair wasn't in great condition and it was chemically treated. It's very YMMV in terms of both types and amounts of oil, of course.

lapushka
January 3rd, 2016, 03:24 PM
I did find out that fractionated coconut oil doesn't seem to bother my SD. There is no itchies, sore or other issues. My scalp feels really nice today and my hair is shiny but a bit fluffy.

Watch out for possible future flare-ups, because there can be a bit of a delayed reaction when using oil. Ask me how I know. I did it all, trust me, oiling the scalp to get rid of flakes - yes, I know. That's way before the internet even existed the way we now know it does. It can just creep up on you "justlikethat" after weeks to months of using that oil and you won't know what hit you.

Obsidian
January 3rd, 2016, 03:52 PM
Oh yeah, I know all about that. I used to use OO pretty regularly on my scalp but that was before I got my SD diagnosis. Now I don't let oil touch my scalp except for the rare occasions I oil my hair. It will be months before I oil again and I probably won't use coconut, my hair seems to be on the verge of freaking out from it.