PDA

View Full Version : Help for a friend growing out her pixie!

chantecler
January 2nd, 2016, 06:43 PM
Hey! So, one of my very close friends and I are going to be in the chorus of a small production of an opera in February (Mozart's Cosi fan Tutte), and the mise en scène puts us in the 20's. For that, she is required to grow out her pixie as long as possible until then. She already hasn't had a cut for two months, and it's starting to get a a bit too long (for a pixie of course). She has quite thick wavy hair, and a LOT of it, so it can easily turn into a fluff ball when it's nearing the time when she would usualy cut it.
She already uses a styling cream to tame it slightly, but I was wondering if any of you guys have any advice for her, mostly on how to style it so it's not as awkward looking until after the show. She asked me for advice because she knows how obsessed I am with hair, but having never had to suffer through that awkward phase myself, I don't know exactly what to tell her.

So, advice anyone? I greatly appreciate it, and she's really looking forwards to hearing about it!

Obsidian
January 2nd, 2016, 07:03 PM
Having just went through growing out a pixie with frizzy, fluffy curls, I can feel your friends pain lol. Honestly, there wasn't much I could do with it at that stage, it was just unruly. I wore a lot of headbands and made friends with bobby pins. Its still pretty unruly but at least with curls I can scrunch and let it go wild.

Is she planning on cutting after the production? If so, she could always use a flat iron and just straighten the heck out of it on really bad days. A little light oil might help tame the fluff too, argan is great or if she is ok with coconut, some fractionated might do the trick.

chantecler
January 2nd, 2016, 07:12 PM
Yeah, she likes her hair short so she will cut it back after. She doesn't own a flat iron though, but I'll make sure she has bobby pins and knows how to use them. She's not super good with hair, so we're planning a day for me to try and style it while showing her tricks. When she still had long (BSL) hair, I was always the one to style it for her for concerts and even for her prom, so she counts one me.

browneyedsusan
January 2nd, 2016, 07:57 PM
My hair is straight, but I get it. Growing a pixie is hard the first few months! Can she twist the front back and secure with a little jaw clip? Maybe braid her bangs to one side and pin? Good luck to her!

chantecler
January 2nd, 2016, 08:01 PM
She can't do that just yet, but it might prove useful in a month or so :)

browneyedsusan
January 3rd, 2016, 09:49 AM
I did a bunch of these (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCQJ7aenX1U) but needed 3 or 4 inches of hair to get it accomplished. Maybe in a few months, her hair will be more cooperative.