PDA

View Full Version : What colour hair do your parents have and what is yours?

Strawb3rryBlond
January 2nd, 2016, 04:24 AM
Thought this would be an interesting topic for us to discuss.

My mother was a white blonde as a child, then gradually darkened to what I call "bronde", technically brown but debatably blonde depending on the lighting, now it's mostly grey.

My father had medium blonde hair as a child, by the time he was 20 it was a chestnut brown colour and by the time he was 30 it was pretty much black, then jet black at 40 and now at 50-something he's pretty much grey.

I was very blonde as a child, then strawberry blonde and now at age 22 it's some form of blonde. I'm currently growing it out so I haven't got a clue really.

And my sisters is dark red.

Alright, your turn!

TatsuOni
January 2nd, 2016, 04:34 AM
I have light brown hair.

My father has black hair that has been getting more and more grey since he was 20. He is now 54.

My mother used to have a brown color similar to mine but it's now blonde with brown grow out. She's out a lot in the sun during the summers and the sun bleaches her hair. During the winters when we barely see the sun the grow out is therefore unbleached.

diddiedaisy
January 2nd, 2016, 04:35 AM
My mum had mid brown hair, my dad started off white blonde as a child but turned mid brown by puberty. I had white blonde that went ash then honey blonde and in my 30's it went dark blonde but always looked brown on photos !!!

Now I'm ash blonde again hehe

Estrid
January 2nd, 2016, 04:49 AM
My mother had quite deep copper red hair when she was a child, it has gotten lighter, so now she's got a light red colour.
My father had light blonde hair as a child and it got darker, I have never seen him with longer than 0,5 cm hair so it is hard to tell what colour it is now, but I'll guess on dark blonde.
I started off with light blonde hair and now my hair is middle blonde.

/Margo

lapushka
January 2nd, 2016, 04:51 AM
Alright, your turn!

Okay, I'll play, even though this topic has already come up several times. ;)

My mom has brown/black hair. She's now just turned 70 and is white mostly, but she dyes it blonde.
My dad has brown/black hair. He's just turned 69 and is a black/gray pepper/salty mixture.

I was a straw blonde as a child, but later turned ashy blonde and now am a true mouse gray.
I also inherited my dad's waves. I had my mom's 1b/c hair until puberty, then went to my dad's texture of 2bish. Since I have some spirals here and there, I call it a 2b/c. But my waves are sometimes undefined and quite wild.

Dona
January 2nd, 2016, 06:19 AM
My mom has auburn hair. She was born with light blonde hair, which turned more strawberry-blonde to red during her teens. She dyed it blonde during her 30s and 40s, but has recently gone back to her natural hair colour which has now darkened into a beautiful auburn shade. She is 53 and does not dye her hair. It has also had all kinds of textures (going from almost straight to extremely curly) but is now mostly wavy and extremely thick.
My dad has grey hair. He was born with white blonde hair, which turned light blonde during his teens. He is 58 and turned grey in his late 40s/early 50s. Till he turned grey he was light blonde.

I mostly have my father's hair, both colour- and texture wise. I was born with white blonde hair, which turned a light blonde during my early teens and has consistently stayed that way. I'm 25 now.

Arctic
January 2nd, 2016, 06:26 AM
Both have had dark to very dark hair by my country's/culture's standards. Father has cool tones, very dark chocolate colour, nearing black (now ofcourse it has greyed, but there is still striking contrast). Mother had also dark brown hair, it was reddish brown, autumn-y colour (but not quite as dark as dad had). I have medium brown hair myself, which has red tones (I think it used to be more ash brown). I call my colour the colour of bronze.

SteelRose
January 2nd, 2016, 06:57 AM
My mother has brown hair naturally, though she has had red hair for decades by choice.
My father had bleach blonde hair as a child. It has darkened over time, but it is still blonde in his 60s.
I started out with blonde hair as a child. It is now a light to medium brown with a red undertone that gets more pronounced when my hair gets dry.

gustavonut
January 2nd, 2016, 07:00 AM
My mother has dark brown curly hair with some red tint in the sun and different lights. My dad has an ashy lightish blond hair or dirty blond I guess? :)

Nuala
January 2nd, 2016, 07:41 AM
Both my parents have dark brown/black hair (both mostly grey now, though). I have red hair; I got that from my paternal grandmother. It skipped a generation!

cat11
January 2nd, 2016, 07:45 AM
Mom has hair that looked black but was brown. Now its salt and pepper, but she dyes it.
Dad has dark chocolate brown hair.

I have light brown hair with a lot of gold tones... one brother is blonde and one has the same hair color as Dad. None of us got my moms hair, but I wish I did. Its very pretty.

Loveisaverb
January 2nd, 2016, 07:52 AM
I have blonde hair and both my parents have blonde hair, quite simple I guess. :p

Anje
January 2nd, 2016, 08:43 AM
Mum had medium brown hair, fairly warm. Dad's was black and curly. (Both are varying degrees of gray now.)

Mine was deep red growing up, which had darkened to auburn or milk chocolate brown since my 20s. Brothers have warm light brown and black hair.

bunneh.
January 2nd, 2016, 08:46 AM
My mum had dark chestnut hair and now her hair is gray. My dad had gingery blonde hair but is bald now. My natural hair colour is a dark blonde, light brown, mostly considered blonde, mousey in some lights and more vibrant colour in other lights and I dye it with henna.

Saldana
January 2nd, 2016, 08:51 AM
Before it started greying, my mother had very light brown hair with lots of red undertones. I always described it as 'tawny'. Her hair now has lots of soft grey and white in it, but it is still thick and soft. My dad started greying (and balding) early, but he started out as what they call 'tow headed' as a child, gradually darkening to a dark chestnut brown.

I was born with a full head of black hair, which fell out before I turned one. Then my hair came in golden strawberry blonde. It has gotten darker over the years, and has started greying. My greys have come in soft pure white. The rest of my hair is sort of a medium dark golden reddish brown.

Oh! Texture - my mother's hair is fine, thick, very soft, and very straight. My father's hair was medium textured, and wavy (not that he ever let it get more than, oh, an inch long..) My hair is medium textured, medium thick, and was very straight until I hit menopause and moved to a cool damp climate. Now it's developing a pronounced wave. *shrug*

neko_kawaii
January 2nd, 2016, 08:54 AM
Dad brown, mom bright copper red.

Wavelength
January 2nd, 2016, 08:57 AM
Both my parents have dark brown/black hair (both mostly grey now, though). I have red hair; I got that from my paternal grandmother. It skipped a generation!

Similar situation here, only in my case it was my maternal grandmother. I was born strawberry blonde and was a redhead in high school. Now my hair's naturally dark auburn with some red highlights (and greys).

jazzhands
January 2nd, 2016, 09:19 AM
Mum's is black and wavy, dad's a curly medium brunet.
I'm a carbon copy of my mother in every way, including the hair :)

parkmikii
January 2nd, 2016, 09:35 AM
Dad has black hair and mom light brown. My natural colour is chestnut brown ^^

Stray_mind
January 2nd, 2016, 09:38 AM
My dad has black hair and my mom has ligyt brown hair. My hair is dark blonde/light brown with a weird ashy shade. My brother has light brown hair.

AspenSong
January 2nd, 2016, 09:42 AM
My mother had very Ashy dark blonde hair and my Dad had brown hair that almost looked black, with a slight reddish glint in the sun. I was blonde as a child and as I got older it darkened up and it's pretty much ash toned light brown/dark blonde. It's much darker now that I'm older. I really don't feel like I have either parents hair, I mean...I guess I'm closer to my mother. I always wanted my Dad's hair though because it was sooooo dark. My brother apparently sucked all the Swedish genes from my mother and he's like platinum blonde. So blonde you barely see his eyebrows. His hair has darkened a smidge, but it's still uber blonde. And when he tries to grow facial hair....so blonde you can't see it and then it suddenly turns strawberry blonde!

truepeacenik
January 2nd, 2016, 09:50 AM
Aspen, I've heard that called "chinger" on other non hair focused boards. Rhymes with ginger.

I only know what my bio uncles looked like. Dark, thick, wavy hair.

Going down the line, my kid's father is blond. I'm mid/bright red.
Kid has dark, thick, wavy hair.

Llama
January 2nd, 2016, 10:03 AM
My mom has dark red hair.
My dad has blonde hair.
My hair has always been blonde.
My siblings both have bright red hair.

:)

JustPam
January 2nd, 2016, 10:51 AM
My dad had black hair before he went grey, and I think my mum's was a chestnut brown as far as I can remember, she gets it dyed a multi-tonal blonde now she's grey. There are few photos of them as children, but they are all black and white anyway but I'd assume they were a shade or two lighter. Both me and my little sister were golden blonde as children and are now both straddling the dark blonde/light brown line.

maskedrose
January 2nd, 2016, 10:54 AM
My mother's natural color is a beautiful caramel/light auburn that she highlights blonde. My dad was light blonde as a child but darkened to dark brown in his 20's. I was white blonde as a child, darkened to a warm honey blonde as a teen, and in my 20's it ranges from golden blonde to strawberry blonde. In some lights the red tones pop and it's very much red-gold.

kaeide
January 2nd, 2016, 11:04 AM
My dad has very dark brown hair. My mom has medium blonde hair naturally, but she dyes it a lighter blonde because her hair is all white now. And I have ashy medium blonde hair. However most of my relatives and grandparents have dark hair, so I lucked out. I'm the only blonde grand daughter on both sides.

Cassyopeia
January 2nd, 2016, 11:05 AM
My mother had almost platinum blonde hair as a toddler, but it got darker and darker, to a dark ashy brown.
My father had brown hair that got a more golden shade during summer in his youth, but it got a bit darker as he got older.
My 2 siblings has medium ashy blonde and golden/red blonde. Myself is more like my mother, white as a child, but now is a medium ashy blonde. I dont think mine will darken anymore, it still gets very light during summer.

Phanaferous
January 2nd, 2016, 11:28 AM
My mother had very dark brown almost black hair (now dyed to cover greys).
My dad had red hair that faded to a light brown (now salt and pepper grey).

I have medium brown with some reddish strands that show up in summertime.

Robi-Bird
January 2nd, 2016, 11:29 AM
Dad had black hair before it went white. Mom was platinum blond which turned ash brown in her teens. My hair was golden brown but turned a dark ash. My sister has always had chocolate brown air, her husband does too and both their girls of tawny blond hair.

Sarahlabyrinth
January 2nd, 2016, 12:41 PM
My Dad had black hair, my mother had blonde hair. I had blonde hair (now silvering).

Two of my sisters had blonde hair, and another sister and my brother had black hair like my father. I did have an occasional red hair in my blonde hair (one of my aunts had bright red carroty hair when she was young). I say "had" because the hair is either deceased, white/silver or dyed these days.

sumidha
January 2nd, 2016, 01:12 PM
Dad has straight, coarse black hair that's greying now, Mom had wavy, medium coppery dark blonde hair that was just starting to go a tiny bit silver when she died. My hair is more like hers, but a little darker and coarser.

calmyogi
January 2nd, 2016, 01:59 PM
My mom had dark dark brown hair, like mine, but in the sun or certain lighting you can see quite a bit of red. My dad was a blonde. I don't know if he was a toe head blonde as a child though.

Klaudia
January 2nd, 2016, 02:36 PM
My mother has a brown hair. She had straight hair, now it's a bit wavy. My father had brown hair, straight. I have got red and curly hair. :silly: :D

AZDesertRose
January 2nd, 2016, 03:06 PM
My (late) biological father's hair was medium brown, fine, thin, and fairly straight.

My mother's hair is dark chestnut brown (going gray now), fine, thick, and wavy. I got Mom's hair (and her coloring in general, though in the facial features, I look rather like my father's sister).

My ex-husband had that hair color I've heard referred to around here as blonette (kind of between dark blond and light brown) and it wanted to curl if he let it grow, and my daughter (by him) also has that hair color, although it's been a good many years since I've seen more than a few inches of her natural hair color, as she's fond of coloring her hair all sorts of shades, some that naturally occur in hair and some that don't. :D She got my thickness, though and hers is pin-straight (as in, won't hold a curl for anything or at least not without a metric crap-ton of product), which she must have gotten from my father.

My three brothers are my father's sons by his first marriage (my mother was his second wife), and my oldest brother got their mom's hair (thick, dark auburn, and wavy), the middle brother got Dad's hair, and the youngest brother I'm not sure about because his hairline receded so badly that he now shaves his head entirely (what I term the "pre-emptive strike" against balding, LOL).

dogzdinner
January 2nd, 2016, 03:40 PM
dad-black hair, mum-dark brown hair. Me-blonette.
Although TBF they now all have white hair! Even my brother who is in his early forties and has pure white hair and eyebrows. Makes me feel much better about my white streaks when I see them!LOL

Hairkay
January 2nd, 2016, 05:59 PM
I've got parents who had black hair so mine is the same.

ShDiHa
January 2nd, 2016, 07:17 PM
I have dark brown hair, Dad has black, and Mom...she says her hair is dark brown like mine, but I have no idea, since she has colored it many different colors since before I was born. Sister has medium brown hair. She was born blonde, but it darkened with age. We have different dads, though.

yahirwaO.o
January 2nd, 2016, 09:08 PM
Parents Dark Hair. Me Dark Hair

....seriously its all so plain here LOL!!!

AutobotsAttack
January 2nd, 2016, 09:12 PM
my moms hair is like coal black, and my dads hair is a dark earth brown, and my hair is a light smooth sandy brown color

irodaryne
January 2nd, 2016, 10:42 PM
My dad's hair is currently a darker grey but it's been every natural human color except the reds. He went from blond as blond will get to brown to black. My mother has the same hair color as me, the copper of her auburn just stands out better. But if you put our hair next to each other's you can't actually tell who's is who's because the color is the same.

Her and I have the same face, too. We look very similar.

Jeno86
January 2nd, 2016, 10:58 PM
My mother had dark brown, now it is dyed Auburn to cover the grey. My father has greying black. I had black hair when I was born, then it went dark blond, now tawny. I always hoped I'd go back to black or at least dark brown.

Lauraes
January 2nd, 2016, 11:09 PM
My mother had red hair as a child that eventually turned to an ashy blondette. Now, it's naturally light grey, almost white, but she dyes it light blonde.

My dad used to have light blonde hair that later turned an ashy blondette.

I used to have light blonde hair that eventually turned to an ashy blondette. No surprise there. :p

Red.
January 2nd, 2016, 11:15 PM
My father had brown hair.
My mother has brown hair.
I have red hair and my younger sister has strawberry blonde hair. Hmm.

Frankenstein
January 2nd, 2016, 11:33 PM
Both my parents were born with blonde hair; my dad's turned dark brown as he got older and my mom's only changed to a bit darker shade of blonde. My hair is either a very dark blonde or a light brown.

butterfly_dream
January 3rd, 2016, 07:22 AM
My natural hair color is medium ash blonde, exactly like my father used to have when he was younger. Now he has been getting more and more grey.
My mother had medium brown hair (now she is almost grey).

ETA: I found an old pic of my dad and me.
http://i66.tinypic.com/wituhg.jpg
The same color and almost the same haircut. LOL.

Dolly
January 3rd, 2016, 07:45 AM
My Mom's hair was jet black her whole life (as she has gotten older, she is coloring it more of a med brown, because jet black was just too harsh-looking), my Dad's was a mix of black and very dark brown. My sister and I both had hair that was a med brown, and mine in particular started getting darker and darker as I got older. I am 48, and about 40% gray (read STARK WHITE), so I henna and end up with nice red highlights.

littlestarface
January 3rd, 2016, 08:19 AM
My mom has super curly very light ashy brown hair, my dad has straight thick black hair, I take after my father but my hair is wavy.

mermaid lullaby
January 3rd, 2016, 08:45 AM
My mom had brown hair in her 20's and now she dyes it blond to cover her greys.
My dad had black thick hair in his 20's. Now it's grey and he shaves it.

My sister and I have coppery brownish red hair.

Thoughtcriminal
January 3rd, 2016, 10:22 AM
My mom was blonde as a kid, I think she's currently a dark blonde (she dyes it lighter). My dad has black hair that's turning grey.

Sister #1 has medium-light brown hair that's never been dyed
Sister #2 had hair so blonde I nick-named her mayonnaise, then she hennaed it and it grew back the same color it was dyed! (a darkish strawberry blonde)

I have dark brown hair, but growing out black dye.

Brunettebybirth
January 3rd, 2016, 02:32 PM
My mom had dark brown hair, and my father had black hair which is now white. I was white blonde as a child then it gradually darkened over the years. It's now chestnut brown. I have lots of reddish highlights to the point where people constantly ask me if I highlight my hair.

My mom had no grays when she passed away, and it seems like I'm following suit as I have no grays yet.

lillielil
January 3rd, 2016, 04:52 PM
Mom: dark brown (looked black), very coarse and thick. Started going white in one streak right in the front when she was a teenager, now probably 98% silver (she's in her mid 60s). I love her hair so much. She dyed it for a long time and kept it short , then grew out her silvers and keeps it between shoulder and BSL.

Father: blonde when he was a kid, then medium/dark brown. Thin (well before he started losing it) and fine. He was just starting to get some significant greys when I last saw him 10+ years ago.

Guess whose hair I got...

ashyash
January 3rd, 2016, 05:01 PM
Both my parents have dark brown hair. My father has coarse dark brown hair and my mother has fine dark brown hair. I inherited my mother's fine dark brown hair and my sister inherited my father's coarse dark brown hair. My father is in his early fifties and has predominantly gray hair with some dark brown, my mother is in her early fifties and still has almost no gray hair at all--she said her mother continued to have predominantly dark hair until her early seventies, when it all turned white.

jupiterinleo
January 4th, 2016, 09:47 AM
Neat thread idea! I love reading everyone's replies.

My dad has very dark, nearly black 2b/2c/iii hair. He inherited it from his mother and her mother, born in Ireland. She referred our family as being "the dark Irish," whatever that means. He grayed early and is 100% silver now.

My mom has medium brown 1c/2a/F/iii hair that was blonde when she was a child. I have her hair, except mine is a tiny bit lighter and redder. She inherited it from her mother as well. Her hair is only a little gray and she's in her 50's.

Does anyone know if graying genetics are separate from the rest of the hair genetics? I am 25 and have two white hairs, and neither of my parents started graying this early. Not that I'm worried--I actually like the look of gray hair.

Upside Down
January 4th, 2016, 10:17 AM
Mom: dark brown almost black
Dad: medium light ashy brown

Me: dark brown but a shade lighter than mom
Hubby: medium brown, sun gives him natural blonde highlights

Son: blonde.

I am a bit puzzled, honestly.

Grenouille
January 4th, 2016, 10:26 AM
My mum has frizzy- dry blond hair and always cut it short.
My dad, who is from Italy, has dark coarse hair. But his hair seems straight (not sure about it, but he has always keeped them so short that it seems straight).
Me: i have dark brown curly/frizzy hair and i try to avoid any dry. I'm a (not so)perfect mix of my parents :) .

AZDesertRose
January 4th, 2016, 10:30 AM
Mom: dark brown almost black
Dad: medium light ashy brown

Me: dark brown but a shade lighter than mom
Hubby: medium brown, sun gives him natural blonde highlights

Son: blonde.

I am a bit puzzled, honestly.

Was hubby's hair lighter when he was younger? A lot of people's hair gets darker as they get older, and it's not at all unheard of for blond(e) children to end up with brown or auburn hair as adults. I know of at least two examples of people who were blond as children who grew up to have much darker hair (my oldest brother, blond in boyhood but with auburn hair as an adult, and my neighbor, who was white-blond as a boy but darkened to medium brown in adulthood).

handsofagovtman
January 5th, 2016, 12:56 AM
My mother's hair is fine, thin, curly and very dark brown / nearly black. Some greys near her temples especially but she covers them. My father's hair had always been thick and straight, and used to be dark brown / nearly black but is mostly grey now. My natural hair is dark brown, medium thickness, fine and pretty much straight, as is my brother's.

ahall83
January 5th, 2016, 03:51 AM
My mother has coarse frizzy thick strawberry blonde hair and my father has fine thin dark brown.

I ended up with thick hair like my mother without the coarse frizziness. It's dark ash blonde naturally.

Winterwitch
January 5th, 2016, 05:35 AM
Mom: She was blond in early elementary and then it progressed through all levels of brown until it was the darkest shade of brown in adulthood. I thought it was black most of my childhood (I colored her hair with a black crayon when I drew her when I was litle.) My grandma was the same, from blond to near black.
Dad: Golden blond.
Me: My hair looks like a mix of silver and gold to me. It grows in sorta mousy brown but it is sun bleached very easily so it gets a lighter golden cast when I grow it out (right now it's henna'd.) Interestingly, I spent the first few weeks of my life with dark hair, it just gradually lightened to blond in the first few weeks.

samanthaa
January 5th, 2016, 01:09 PM
My mom has dark brown hair, and my father has blondish/light brown hair (though he's grayed now). My brother is the darkest of my two siblings, and my sister is the lightest. I'm middle-of-the-road.

Both my sister and I were blonde as children, though I darkened much more as I grew up. My hair was a very flat shade of light brown ("dirt," I called it) before I hennaed it. My brother actually got darker as he aged! He's a medium brown now. My mother used to say that she was washing away his color with each shampoo!

It's hard to tell with my dad because he's thinned in his older age, but I believe both of my parents have average to thin and average to fine hair, and of my siblings, I definitely have the thinnest and finest hair. My brother's is probably the thickest and most coarse., so average We all have straight hair ranging from 1b to 1c.

browneyedsusan
January 5th, 2016, 01:23 PM
Mom and Dad were dark brown, now Dad is gray, mom is still mostly dark brown. (They are both 74, but Mom got a genetic gift--grandma didn't gray either. )

My hair was strawberry blonde until my mid-20's, then became light ash brown, eventually darkening to medium ash brown in my 30's. Now, it's "red" from henna. (I'm quite gray, though. Thanks, Dad! :p ) I like it best red; brown felt strange and wrong, but now I'm relaxed and settled in my skin. There is red hair on both sides of my family, but it is a couple of generations back.

Sister sports a head of gorgeous, brown curls! :)

lapis_lazuli
January 5th, 2016, 02:21 PM
Ooh interesting idea, Strawb3rryBlond :D
My mom has always had curly, dark brown hair while my dad was blond as a child. Now it's a grey-brown colour.
I have a kind of dark ash brown hair, my sister dark brown, and my youngest sister dark blonde.
Interesting how genetics work ^^

ThrowNormanAway
January 5th, 2016, 03:12 PM
My dad, before he grayed, was downright calico. He was sort of brown, with blonde at the temples and reddish and brown on top. Blonde eyelashes. My mom has always been very dark brown, and she would love to go silver like her mother but she's getting older and has maybe 5 silver hairs. My hair is medium brown, with a tiny bit of a reddish quality and I highlight naturally to a nice honey color. My sisters hair is very dark brown ringlets.

Rhodugune
January 5th, 2016, 05:36 PM
Interesting thread, a great read to hear what its like for you all.
My parents both have about the same dark brown hair and me too and as far as I know my mother had the same colour just as I did from when we both were little and as adults.
When my mum past away at 51 years old, she had some grey hairs and I have just one or two that I started to get a few years back, Im 37 now.

My mum and me to the left when I was a baby
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f324/Rhodugune/Old%20photos/Mamma%20Maya%20Annika%20o%20Sardo%20red_zpsicwq7jv 9.jpg
Me on the right with my sister
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f324/Rhodugune/Old%20photos/Maya%20Karin%20%20o%20kissar_zpsjayjvr6u.jpg

My hair colour now:
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f324/Rhodugune/Mayabilder/Maya-portraite_zpskipw1otw.jpg

Jo Ann
January 5th, 2016, 06:08 PM
Daddy had medium/dark blonde hair; Mom, I always called dark auburn but SHE always said brunette (but it's RED in the sunlight...go figure); my Dear Brother had medium blonde hair, Dear Sister was strawberry blonde/chestnut (depending on the season and how much sunlight she was working in) and I got dark blonde/blonette hair... :confused:

Genetics, isn't it wonderful? http://illiweb.com/fa/i/smiles/suspect.gif

chen bao jun
January 5th, 2016, 07:38 PM
Black, black and black. But my mom
s hair is just black while me and my dad both have (had in his case, he has passed away) EXTREMELY black.

Rhodogune your mother was beautiful. thanks for sharing the pics.

Ellethwyn
January 5th, 2016, 08:03 PM
My mother's natural color is a medium brown with a bit of red tint to it. My father's was a very light blonde. Mine is a light-medium blonde.

sarah.j.xx
January 5th, 2016, 11:19 PM
Dad has very dark brown hair, mom has rich black hair that shines a gorgeous auburn in the sunlight, and my brother and I both have black-brown hair as a result. It's funny though; while my brother's hair shines a slight auburn in the sun (kind of like my mom's, but not as obvious), my hair gives off more of a deep caramel glow. I guess I received a little more of my dad's hair genes.

copperlites
January 6th, 2016, 03:36 AM
My mum has thick, course dry naturally ginger/ red hair, which all my life has been bleached blonde. She has a helmet hairstyle which is permed and then set. It's very old fashioned.
My dad had wavy almost black (now grey) hair, of a more silky texture.
My texture is more like dads and my colour more mums. My natural colour is chestnut / auburn, now colour enhanced due to greys coming in at the front. I'm not as auburn/ red as mum.

Daydreamer.
January 6th, 2016, 03:51 AM
Mom: Black Dad: Dark brown Me: Dark brown

Rhodugune
January 6th, 2016, 08:31 AM
Black, black and black. But my mom
s hair is just black while me and my dad both have (had in his case, he has passed away) EXTREMELY black.

Rhodogune your mother was beautiful. thanks for sharing the pics.

Oh thank you for taking the time to say so. :flowers:

nalgena
January 6th, 2016, 06:01 PM
My dad had dark brown hair, he's almost entirely grey now. My mom has always been dying her hair for as long as I can remember, although I found out a few years ago :-). But her hair is naturally dark blond I guess.

This is my natural hair color. I had been dying my hair for 10 years and stopped 2 years ago. I always thought my hair was brown or light brown, but my BF called me a redhead the other day o.0. So I took this photo and I'm not quite sure what it is...auburn? Chestnut? Just brown?

http://s1.postimg.org/a2zimo2cb/IMG_3285.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/a2zimo2cb/)

hinabelle
January 8th, 2016, 07:41 AM
My mom: bright auburn hair
My dad: black hair
Me: Dark brown/auburn

HollyLindsey
January 8th, 2016, 08:10 AM
My dad had dark brown hair, now it's grey. My mom has light brown hair. I have mousy dirty blonde hair, which is my natural color. I love it!

earthybee
January 8th, 2016, 08:43 AM
Both have dark brown hair and so do I. :o

missrandie
January 8th, 2016, 09:10 AM
Dad had auburn hair as a kid that went brown and always had red facial hair, and mom did the blonde to light brown/blonette, with silvers starting in her bangs and now throughout her crown.

My hair started black as a baby, fell out to curly golden blonde, straightened out as a toddler and slowly darkened to a light brown/blonette that flares gold and red sooner than mom's did. I also have silvers starting in the front of my hairline.

Islandgrrl
January 8th, 2016, 11:31 AM
As little kids, both of my parents had very blonde hair (as did I).

As they got older, my dad's hair darkened to a medium/dark brown and my mom's got reddish until it was kind of a medium auburn with lots of gold highlights.

Mine stayed blond for a long time, but gradually got redder until it's now a medium auburn color.

Ponymad21
January 8th, 2016, 04:58 PM
I have medium brown, it was very dark brown as a child
My mum has dark brown hair and my dad has black, my brother has dark brown hair bordering on black

sparkbunni
January 9th, 2016, 11:44 AM
Mom has red hair, dad had dark brown but went grey fairly early in his twenties.

I've got brown hair with red undertones. 28 and no grey yet! :)

battles
January 9th, 2016, 11:48 AM
Mom has warm medium brown hair that is beginning to silver. Dad has very cool toned medium brown hair that is extremely silver. I was blonde as a child and I'm blonette now.

joannanuisance
January 13th, 2016, 07:12 PM
my father had blond hair as a kid and it's now dark brown with silver at the temples. my mother had dark brown hair which is now almost entirely silver. mine was black at birth but quickly went very light blonde, and now it's a slightly ashy dark blonde that also seems to have some odd gold or reddish sheens depending on the lighting.

i've only just started growing out dye a few months ago, though, so i don't have a lot of natural growth to analyse for colour yet.

Laurie3030
January 14th, 2016, 07:07 AM
my father is strawberry blonde and my mother is ashblonde

Im ashblonde, too. :3

laceyfairy
January 14th, 2016, 08:14 AM
My mom had blonde hair as a child but brown hair after her teens and much curlier after pregnancy. My dad has black/dark brown hair. They both have grey though my dad's beard has been white/grey for much longer than his head hair. My brother has dark brown hair that is maybe 2c. My hair is ash blonde and apparently curls starting at my hip if left to air dry and to its own devices.

Gaalsong
January 14th, 2016, 08:24 AM
Mom: light brown, tight springy coils
Dad: dark brown/black, coarse and straight
Me: golden blonde with beachy waves
My daughter: rich red, slippery and straight.

It's like a rainbow of hair!

curiouskitty
January 14th, 2016, 12:03 PM
My mum is Japanese, and has medium-thick straight black hair - and my father is French and has dirty blonde curly hair (they grow into ringlets).

I've definitely inherited my father's hair. Oh, how I used to curse genetics when straight hair was all the rage in high school.

curlysamantha
January 16th, 2016, 09:01 AM
My mother had really pretty copper/red hair and my dad has very very dark brown (almost black) hair! I have dark hair like my dad, but in the sunlight it looks like a dark caramel color :)

Akville
January 16th, 2016, 09:55 AM
mon was blonde but is dark now and dad was blonde but is gray now ..

I'm dirty blonde and my hair is getting darker ...

I know I have my father's hair.. not my mums..

Groovy Granny
January 16th, 2016, 12:26 PM
Both parents are gone, but:

Mom was a brunette, turned salt and pepper, then all white; it was very coarse...she always colored and permed until her 70's.

Dad was a blonde baby, turned brown in his 30s.
He passed at 38, but all his brothers were of the same coloring, and eventually went all white after years of silver/white growing in.

I take after him and my uncles with the color progression and wurls; our hair is soft, thankfully :)

Angela_Rose
January 16th, 2016, 12:46 PM
Mom's a redhead, Dad's hair is (was, anyway) black, mine is brown.

MandyBeth
January 16th, 2016, 01:07 PM
Dad was always near black, very little gray at his death.

Mom was reddish brown mid tone, a lot of gray before cancer. She never grew her hair back after.

My siblings and I were/are all varying shades of not brown not blonde to pale blonde. We're all warm toned, bleach to reds easily.

I'm about a 7.5 or 8 naturally and yeah. I don't dye to cover gray, I dye to kill the vile warm blonde.

LateRose
January 17th, 2016, 06:19 PM
Mom: chestnutty brown with red/gold strands. I remember her cutting it at knee length multiple times. Silvered early, especially at her temples.

Dad: nearly black, super thick. His grey hairs were silver, too.

Mine: an in-between color? Dark dark chestnut with firey red and gold and white blond strands. Thick and wavy. Grows like a weed. (2 in. a month. Just like mom n dad!)

My siblings range from nearly black to medium tawny brown, but I have the most red. No one else has weirdo strands like me either. I once found 7 distinct colors!

curlysamantha
January 17th, 2016, 06:52 PM
Mom: chestnutty brown with red/gold strands. I remember her cutting it at knee length multiple times. Silvered early, especially at her temples.

Dad: nearly black, super thick. His grey hairs were silver, too.

Mine: an in-between color? Dark dark chestnut with firey red and gold and white blond strands. Thick and wavy. Grows like a weed. (2 in. a month. Just like mom n dad!)

My siblings range from nearly black to medium tawny brown, but I have the most red. No one else has weirdo strands like me either. I once found 7 distinct colors!

Wow your so lucky it grows that fast :disbelief I can barely get 1/2 inch out of mine :boohoo:

irodaryne
January 19th, 2016, 10:41 PM
I found a picture where you can really see the color in mine and my mother's hair!

https://56.media.tumblr.com/7b0fe13f91607328ebcf753163549481/tumblr_o18kzqevjy1th6riso1_1280.jpg

My mom is on the left, I'm on the right. Notice how it's even has the same appearance of color change from roots to ends. Our hair is one color from roots to ends but because we're auburn, depending on how that sunlight hits it'll look anything from copper to a light brownish color

prettyinpink
January 20th, 2016, 06:49 AM
My moms hair is black, my dads is blonde and mine is red, but my brother's is brown lol

Kaelbu
January 20th, 2016, 10:03 AM
My mom: super light blonde that darkened into a dark blonde/light brown, but she's kept dyed blonde almost my whole life, so I'm not sure exactly what it is now.

My dad: Always has been dark brown. Now it's more salt & pepper.

Me (and all my siblings): started with medium/light blonde as kids, then it darkened to medium/dark brown as adults.

(My husband has always had some shade of blonde, and now our two sons have blonde hair similar to what I had as a child.)

Astridnannerl
January 20th, 2016, 11:32 AM
My parents are both Asian. Dad has the usual black thick straight hair, but my mom has lighter fine wavy hair that I inherited.

JustPam
January 22nd, 2016, 05:45 AM
My mum just posted a photo on facebook of her as a child (seems to be a "thing" on FB at the moment) and her hair is much lighter than I thought. It's a B&W photo but her hair looks light blonde, she's about 4 years old.

languagenut
January 22nd, 2016, 10:01 AM
My mom had blonde hair as a kid, which darkened to her current dark brown. It's also thin and straight.

My dad has dark blonde hair (don't know the technical name for the exact color), though it looks lighter in his kid pictures, probably sunbleached from living in Hawaii. It's thinning now, but it was thick and wavy. My hair is just like his, and so is my oldest brother's. The rest either have straight blonde hair like my mom had, or not enough hair to tell (2yrs old).

And though you'd never guess it now, my dad's thick wavy hair used to be long and flowing. And the girl who sat behind him in high school was so enamored with it... Yep, the straight-haired girl mentioned above. Imagine, if my dad hadn't been a longhair, I probably wouldn't exist! He cut it for work reasons, and has kept it short since, but I and all my siblings can be glad for the long hair he used to have!

lapis_lazuli
January 24th, 2016, 01:02 AM
I've been thinking about this thread a lot recently. I already posted but I'm finding it so curious that my sisters and I have vastly different hair colours.
My middle sister and I have similar colours; a dark ashy brown. However, mine flares blonde in the sun and hers flares red (and is probably less ashy). My youngest sister has a completely different colour all together; dark blonde. I think our hair types are all similar though... from 1c to 2a.

ashke50
January 24th, 2016, 02:26 AM
My parents both had brown hair as adults and much lighter blonde hair as kids. Currently my mum's hair is totally silver (and looks very pretty) and my dad's is fading, and he's also starting to get more silver. Interestingly HIS mum (my Granny) who is in her 80s still has only 1 or 2 silver hairs!
My hair is dark blonde. Like my parents, it was much lighter when I was little, but hasn't darkened as much. My sisters both have slightly darker hair than me, which was lighter when younger, although one of them bleaches hers to blonde, and the other is half silver already.

Elizabeth E
April 18th, 2018, 07:51 AM
Okay, here we go:
Dad: always had black hair, turning grey now. His hair is curly and thick, though that's harder to see because it is short.
Mum: had light brown hair as a kid; worn in a bob until high school. Now it's a medium brown, straight and thin, extremely tangle-prone yet a solid hip-length.
Me: my hair was medium brown as a kid, but at the age of 12 it started darkening dramatically and now it's almost black at the crown. My hair is medium thickness, has always been wavy and almost never tangles. I used to wear my hair in a bob until I was six, and it had gotten down to MBL by the time I had a trim last year and left the salon with barely past APL hair (sob!). That's when I started growing it out.

AutobotsAttack
April 18th, 2018, 07:55 AM
My mom has very dark coarse hair. Appearing black but it’s just very brown. My dad has fine, light chocolate brown hair.

My hair is dark chocolate brown with reddish hints in it, but towards my ends it turns almond/milk chocolate brown.

Margarita
April 18th, 2018, 08:21 AM
My mom's hair is dyed orange red, she used to have brown and black hair. Now she is 43 and prefers to keep the orange red hair.
My dad's hair is black with grey roots due to age, he is 50.
My natural color is medium to dark brown, now i dye it black :3

Stray_mind
April 18th, 2018, 08:24 AM
My dad has black hair which is mostly grey now, my mom was a dark blonde, but is also grey, she dyes her hair the color close to her natural one.

My hair color is ashy blonette. :)

Katsura
April 18th, 2018, 08:47 AM
My dad has had black hair, now gone mostly grey. My mom has had darkish blonde hair. My colour is light brownish, not as fair as my mum's when she was younger and had natural hair colour.

MusicalSpoons
April 18th, 2018, 08:49 AM
Dad had blonde hair as a child, as an adult very dark cool-toned brown and curly, now grey/white with a few patches of dark grey. Mum had light brown hair as a child, as an adult dark chocolate brown and wavy, now mostly dark grey/silver.

I had white blonde hair as a child, 1a texture and babyfine, it darkened to dark blonde and went to medium strands still in childhood. My current hair is a mix of of different types of strands which I'm still calling 1b/F/M for now but it might be starting to change slightly; I'm not entirely sure.

Larki
April 18th, 2018, 09:26 AM
Both of my parents were platinum blonde as kids, my mom's turned brown when she was nine and my dad's turned brown in his early 20s. Mine is still blonde at almost 24. Both of my siblings had brown hair both as kids and as adults.

Lumienkeli
April 18th, 2018, 11:51 AM
Mom had dark blond-light brown hair before she went grey and dyed it. She has wavy hair.

Dad was medium to dark brown, than salt and pepper, now snow white. He has straight hair, not pin straight, but never was enough long to see his true texture.

Mine was blond until i turned to 3, than darkened to medium brown in a year. I had wavy hair when I was 4, than i had short bobs and pixies until i turned to 12 and everyone told my hair is pin straight and wiry.
When i started to grow it long i found out there are waves in my hair. The family response was, no, you have pin straight hair just the peacock twist made it wavy, because after washing, blow drying and brushing is pin straiht. Obviuos, not? Nope.

My sister have beautiful thick dark blond wavy hair, and she brush her waves out every day to fluff her hair to a glorius lion head!

My son was platinum blond until 2, now he have a lot of brown strands, but his hair looks overall medium ash blond. His hair is very thick.

My daughter is golden blond now at almost age 2. Her hair is so fine i hope it will thicken because her hair is breaking like crazy.

My husband is medium brown and he was brown too as a child, and i am annoyed that every other people ask how can be two blond children to two brown person.

christib13
April 18th, 2018, 12:56 PM
My dad was a redhead (copper/ginger red); it went grey and stayed that way for years, and is now white.
My mom had medium brown hair which she dyed auburn until about 6 years ago when she started going grey.
I'm a redhead (darker than my dad's, and more auburn) and so is my sister (lighter than my dad's, and more strawberry blonde), while my brother has medium brown hair with slight reddish highlights in the sun.
Weirdly, both of my parents (and all of their siblings) have hair that is between 1a and 1c and so does my brother, while my sister has 3a and I have 2b/c. Not sure where the wurls and curls came from!

Beeboo123
April 18th, 2018, 01:03 PM
Dad is medium brown, cat hair fine, 2a wavy.
Mom is jet black, coarse, 1a/1b straight.
I’m the same color as my chocolate labrador retriever, color exactly halfway between my parents, fine/medium, 2b wavy. I have random weird coppery red strands distributed throughout my hair.
Sister is jet black, very very coarse, 1c
Brother is medium brown, medium, 2a wavy.

Not much variation in my family!

JennGalt
April 18th, 2018, 03:30 PM
Mom had strawberry blonde hair. Dad's was jet black. Mine is what I call strawberry black: a soft black with a natural reddish sheen in strong light.

Not sure about texture since I'm adopted and got what little info I have from secondary sources, but I know my dad had curly or coily hair.

Glitch
April 18th, 2018, 03:47 PM
My father has jet black hair, and my mother always had medium brown hair until she had me, when it darkened to black. I myself have hair that's jet black indoors, but bright golden brown outside in natural warm light. Very weird :p

FennFire911
April 18th, 2018, 04:09 PM
Both parents, all 4 grandparents, all aunts, uncles, siblings and cousins have dark brown hair. I’m the first blonde. All 4 of my kids are blonde even though their father has dark brown hair. 2 of my 4 niece/nephews are blonde even with my sister and her husband having dark brown hair.
We don’t know where it came from, but this little gene decided to make a big statement all of a sudden.
Eye colour was also a surprise starting with me. Everybody else has blue eyes, but I have a blue-brown sectoral heterochromia of my left eye, as does my sister’s daughter.
And before anyone even asks, we did 23 And Me for fun. My parents that raised me are my bio parents! Lol

Dark40
April 18th, 2018, 05:28 PM
My mom had dark brown hair but she's 72, and she's been dyeing her hair black for over 40 years now. My dad's hair was black before his hair turned a full head of white hair, and he's 74, and my natural hair color is medium brown and mingle gray.

Corvana
April 18th, 2018, 08:12 PM
My dad has black hair (salt and pepper now!), and my mom was blonette but it's darkened some and of course has tons of greys now. My brother's hair is a deep brown, almost black, and my sister's is a dark chocolate brown.

Mine is very dark inside, but just a sort of medium brown when outside.

Kiiruna
April 19th, 2018, 12:54 AM
My dad had tawny hair, straightish and quite thick. Now his hair is white and he's having a lot of regrowth after cytostatics :)

My mom had black, straight and thick hair. Now her hair is white too, but she dyes the tips black so it looks more like a very contrasted salt and pepper.

I have my father's hair: tawny, straightish and thick...ish.

MidnightMoon
April 19th, 2018, 01:07 AM
My parents' hair is medium brown (mom) and black (dad). What my parents' (or anyone's, I think) colour as a child was is quite irrelevant IMO. Pretty much anyone I know had quite light hair as a kid (or lighter than current), but I never take that as an indication of anything. Kids with white hair turn out to be brunettes as adults. I do know someone who said their hair actually got lighter, but that's a few cases. My own hair was medium brown, and now it's practically black, but I consider this my "real" colour, it's the one I'll have most of my life.

zanelle
April 19th, 2018, 01:15 AM
My dad is a dark blonde and mom has really dark brown hair.
My hair is a chocolatey medium brown.

Sarez
April 19th, 2018, 02:22 AM
My dad had dark reddish curls, according to my mum, but I've only seen him with grey hair. My mum had white blonde hair as a child and it became browner as she got older. My oldest sister has almost black curls, other older sister dark auburn waves, older brother born white blonde, and is now dark blonde. I was born white blonde but got darker as I got older. My roots tell me I'm brown with some lovely grey high-lights lol. I call ash brown. And my daughter has curly blonde hair (From her father.) So kinda mixed really

leayellena
April 19th, 2018, 04:10 AM
I have hair and eyelashes like my dad: black or dark brown, fairly thick and slightly wavy. although I think my dad has more medium strands while me and my mom have straighter strands. I don´t seem to inherit any curly genes from my mom though... only the frizz #kiddin

Suze
April 19th, 2018, 05:03 AM
My father had black hair and my mom's hair is close to my hair colour. They both have super straight hair. I was actually born with black/ very dark brown hair and lots of it.:lol:

Milady_DeWinter
April 19th, 2018, 05:47 AM
My father's hair is black as a raven, even now (he's almost 60) he have barely noticiable white hairs here and there. He also haven't gone bald.

My mom hair is medium brown like mine, a bit ashier - mine is more tawny, with more gold undertones. And my brother would qualify for a dark blonde: his hair is almost like mine, but lighter and ashier. But we have our father skin: yellowish, very easily tanned, we never get burnt in the sun. My grandmother (my mom's mom) was very blonde, so the golden and blonde tones might came from there.

My two parents have straight fine hair (1C my father, 1B my mom), but both my brother and me are wurly: my brother 2B and I 2C.

After my mom cancer and quimio, her new hair was clearly 3a. After 1 -2 years, her natural 1B came back. She was so unhappy about it lol :p Loved the curls.

Jo Ann
April 19th, 2018, 07:29 AM
Daddy had medium/dark blonde hair and Mom had dark auburn hair when she was younger. Mine ended up a light/medium brown. To further this, my sister's hair was a light chestnut brown/light auburn and my brother's was a medium blonde. All three of my boys have blonde hair ranging from light to dark blonde.

Aredhel
April 19th, 2018, 09:03 AM
My mom and dad both had dark black hair but I came out with very dark brown hair... where it looks black when I'm surrounded by light colours, but when I'm wearing black or am standing next to someone with "true" black hair, it's very obvious that mine is brown.

lithostoic
April 19th, 2018, 12:41 PM
My parents and I were white blonde as kids. My dad's hair turned SHINY chocolate brown and my mom's is my color, with grey. However she dyes it reddish:)

cjk
April 19th, 2018, 04:19 PM
Daddy was blond, darkened to brown after he hit puberty. Medium brown by the time I was born.

Mom is very dark brown.

I'm strawberry blond in the summer and ashen blond in the winter. Varies, seasonally.

chiapommama
April 19th, 2018, 05:35 PM
Mom was dark brown/black when she was younger, now it's mixed with silver, straight.Dad when he was younger had dark brown wavy/curly hair, before he passed , he was balding, and silver.
I have dark brown curly hair with silvers mixed in.

ursaV
April 19th, 2018, 05:53 PM
My dad's was black, but now he's mostly grey and bald. His mother (my grandmother) had the most pure white hair as she aged, I hope I inherit that!
Mom's is medium brown with red and blonde, shes got a few interesting streaks in there. Though shes been dying to cover up greys, they're pretty darn resistant.
Mine is medium brown with red undertones.

zashin66
April 19th, 2018, 08:50 PM
Towheads both then darkened to medium brown. But I was a towheads that stayed blonde (tiny cheer)

Dendra
April 20th, 2018, 02:04 PM
My father's hair is black as a raven, even now (he's almost 60) he have barely noticiable white hairs here and there. He also haven't gone bald.

My mom hair is medium brown like mine, a bit ashier - mine is more tawny, with more gold undertones. And my brother would qualify for a dark blonde: his hair is almost like mine, but lighter and ashier. But we have our father skin: yellowish, very easily tanned, we never get burnt in the sun. My grandmother (my mom's mom) was very blonde, so the golden and blonde tones might came from there.

My two parents have straight fine hair (1C my father, 1B my mom), but both my brother and me are wurly: my brother 2B and I 2C.

After my mom cancer and quimio, her new hair was clearly 3a. After 1 -2 years, her natural 1B came back. She was so unhappy about it lol :p Loved the curls.

The same thing happened to my mum! It's called 'Chemo Curls' apparently :) Her hair is still wavy but it is gradually straightening out from the intense S-waves she got after chemo. She hated them at first but everyone else said they looked amazing, now she is sad they're fading.

Before greying my mum's hair was a light brown, like milk chocolate, and my dad's a dark brown. He had the same colouring as Keanu Reeves (random but helpful visual image).

My hair is a reddy blonette which I got from my grandmother.