PDA

View Full Version : frame bun instructions

cat11
January 1st, 2016, 09:29 AM
Hey everybody :)

A little while back I came up with something I call the frame bun for wearing smaller sticks or for showing off a design. It was suggested to me that I should post a tutorial, so here it goes!!

http://i67.tinypic.com/14ihob8.jpg
This is an example of a finished result, with a rope braid. It's a smaller bun with another section framing it, hence the name. Sometimes I rope braid the frame, sometimes english braid, sometimes I just twist it.

1.) Take hair and gather it into a pony wherever you want the bun to sit. I put mine up high, on the back corner of my head.
2.) With the hand holding the hair, insert your index finger to split the pony. The part on the left will be your frame. The part on the right will be your base bun. Sometimes I slit the pony perfectly in half, like you would with a disk, other times I do it where the bun is 60% and the frame is 40%. They make a slightly different look and sometimes you may want a smaller or bigger bun depending on what toy you use and how much hair it needs to be stable. so just play with it to decide what you like. But half and half is a good starting point.
3.) Now, keep the index finger in the middle of the pony. Twist the right section of hair, making sure no hairs from the left get in . Then take it with your free hand and bring it over your pinky, ring, and middle fingers. I try to keep it draped somewhat loosely because you're going to have to pull your fingers out and if you do it too tight your fingers will take hairs with them and make it look messy. Then wrap it down, below your entire hand and under the remaining hair section. Wrap your remaining hair underneath your hand until its done and tuck in your ends. Now carefully remove that hand and insert your hair stick, flexi 8, or whatever.
4.) Now you decide what you do with the frame. Rope, english, or twist. Twist is cool cause it gives it that huge cinnabun look people with thinner or longer hair can get (mine is waist length and very thick, so I cant normally make many rounds around my bun yet) of a bun with many coils. The braids also look pretty and decorative, when I need to do my hair extra nice I often wear this bun with the rope braid. English also looks good.
5.) Now wrap the section to the right, same direction you wrapped your bun, around the base. Secure with two spin pins, one where you tucked it in and one on the other side.

You're done!

Hopefully this style comes in handy for some of you! It certainly does for me, and its also very comfortable and reliable. :) If you try it, post pics!

:heartbeat Cat

mz_butterfly
January 1st, 2016, 11:13 AM
Just to clarify, you are basically making a LWB with half of the ponytail, inserting your implement then using the other half of the pony to enhance the look?

Can you do a video tutorial? :D

Wildcat Diva
January 1st, 2016, 11:29 AM
Good job on this thread! I love a very loose English or rope braid for the frame. For the base, I don't wrap most of my hand, or if I do on the first wrap... Then on the later wraps, I plunk one finger down for the remaining underneath the bun wraps so I can have a good entry point for the stick.
http://i1083.photobucket.com/albums/j386/janineevans/65D8D90C-05BE-497C-BB3A-E4BA1FBDB5AD_zpsa3t0ykoj.jpg

Here is one that I remember for sure was an English braid frame.
http://i1083.photobucket.com/albums/j386/janineevans/ABE08AB5-05E3-4E54-A4B8-9ED9352743B7_zps3deuwitw.png

No pic but...
(I have also learned to do this with a Gibraltar bun for the base, and not a LWB. *poof! Mind blown!*)

AJNinami
January 1st, 2016, 12:18 PM
Oh that's beautiful! I can't wait to try it when my hair is long enough.

Sarahlabyrinth
January 1st, 2016, 12:38 PM
Oh, what a bun! I love it. Even my first attempt turned out looking good :) It would be great if we could have a video tutorial - hint :)

http://i1253.photobucket.com/albums/hh582/Sarahlabyrinth/49c07bda-8420-4b96-8d16-bbdb21901265.jpg

meteor
January 1st, 2016, 01:16 PM
Oh, it's absolutely amazing (like all your buns, cat11)! :D
It looks so great on everyone! :applause Great job! :thumbsup:
I love that concept, but I'd like to echo Sarahlabyrinth and mz_butterfly: a video tutorial or maybe even graphs/pictorial would be so great! :D
I'm not 100% sure I got what happens at step (3)... is this step a bit like a Lazy Wrap Ponytail (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=129368 )? And after that you braid and wrap the second half of hair around it? Or am I totally confused? :flower:

cat11
January 1st, 2016, 03:10 PM
mz_butterfly and meteor, yes, it is pretty much just a lazy wrap bun ponytail for step 3. I just put in extra pointers on making it come out neat. Thanks, Meteor!

Wildcat Diva and Sarahlabyrinth I love your pictures!! They look great and I'm glad you both tried it! (Wildcat Diva I knew you did already cause you told me to start the thread! Hehe.)

and thank you, AJninami!

Maybe I will do a video... I am feeling a little shy about it though. Also not sure where I will do it for good lighting and keeping the camera still. Maybe I can get my SO to help :) I will think about it!

cathair
January 1st, 2016, 06:07 PM
It's looks really pretty! I could do with a new bun :) I get lost around step 3 too though. So you make a loop around your fingers, then wrap the rest of that section round the base? Then you say insert the hair stick? If the loop is not being pulled over the base, won't it be really loose? So where does the stick go? I think I am missing something... :hmm:

meteor
January 1st, 2016, 06:16 PM
Thanks so much, cat11! :flowers:

It's looks really pretty! I could do with a new bun :) I get lost around step 3 too though. So you make a loop around your fingers, then wrap the rest of that section round the base? Then you say insert the hair stick? If the loop is not being pulled over the base, won't it be really loose? So where does the stick go? I think I am missing something... :hmm:

Cathair, I think maybe this video will help with step (3).
It's LWB-ponytail - (by our lovely Sarahlabyrinth): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Umz6pNWk9oQ

cathair
January 1st, 2016, 06:24 PM
Thanks so much, cat11! :flowers:

Cathair, I think maybe this video will help with step (3).
It's LWB-ponytail - (by our lovely Sarahlabyrinth): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Umz6pNWk9oQ

Thanks Meteor :) So it is basically a sectioned lazy wrap bun, with the second part wrapped around the edge? It looks like there is more to it somehow! Buns are so deceptive :) Might not be for me then :( I remember how badly the lazy wrap ponytail went for me... I didn't think this through! Unless I can get away with wrapping the ends around less... hmmm...

Wildcat Diva
January 1st, 2016, 07:05 PM
This bun could be modified in many ways to suit your preference. Many little LWB variations you could do. Could even do a double wrap LWB before you start wrapping the base of the LWB part. Some times when I LWB, I wrap the whole hand at first, then when I go to wrap the stem, I plunk the one finger down to wind the hair around and around the under bun part, and then the stick goes in there where that single finger marked for the stick entry.

cat11
January 2nd, 2016, 08:21 AM

Well when you take your hand out and put that loop on top of the base you then put the stick in where your hand used to be and dig deep so it stays tight.

I hope that helps!

Meteors video will help. It is just a lwb but I didnt want to say "do a lwb" with that section because new members may not know how to do that and then will need to do two tutorials.

cathair
January 2nd, 2016, 04:34 PM
Well when you take your hand out and put that loop on top of the base you then put the stick in where your hand used to be and dig deep so it stays tight.

I hope that helps!

Meteors video will help. It is just a lwb but I didnt want to say "do a lwb" with that section because new members may not know how to do that and then will need to do two tutorials.

That makes sense :) Thank you for the clarification. I'm going to give it a go after my next wash :) It does look lovely.

littlestarface
January 3rd, 2016, 08:47 AM
I wanna try but I have no idea how to make the first bun ill have to check out the lwb video cuz ive no idea how to do step 3

Red.
January 3rd, 2016, 10:26 AM
I love this! I need to try and get a picture for this thread. I have a TT that was made a bit shorter than I asked for, but bought anyway because I thought it would work. It does, kind of, but the design is covered a bit. But with this I can see the whole design. :heart:

cat11
January 4th, 2016, 05:52 PM
Glad you like it, Red! I'd love to see a pic when you try it :)