PDA

View Full Version : At what point does shoulder length start?

DizzyGinger
December 30th, 2015, 12:40 PM
My hair is barely starting to touch my shoulders. Is that shoulder length or does it not start till a couple inches past? Here's a pic of where I am. Please excuse the silly face, I was celebrating my anniversary lol. It's the most recent I have.

http://i.imgur.com/FaG7tnV.jpg

Nique1202
December 30th, 2015, 12:47 PM
I started calling it shoulder when it hit the same lengths as where the neck stops and I could feel it brushing against the muscles on top. Your shoulders are the whole area that goes from the bottom of your neck out to where your arms come down, I don't think anyone would argue as long as your hair touches something there when you're standing at rest. (If you've got your shoulders shrugged up to your ears it might be cheating though :wigtongue )

All that to say I think you can definitely call shoulder given that picture.

chen bao jun
December 30th, 2015, 12:50 PM
Its hard to tell if you are shoulder length or not because of the angle of your head.
Others may have a different opinion but I think it starts when your hair is resting on your shoulders, provided you don't have very thin end or something (you know, like one hair touches your shoulders but the rest doesn't).
You certainly are not a pixie nor are you ear length anymore from what I can see so if you're not at shoulder, you're close and you have made good progress from the pics in your siggy.

It's really up to you when you claim milestones. We are not the hair police. If you call a milestone a bit sooner than some think you should, I can't see that it really matters all that much.

You are an attractive looking lady with nice hair in any case.

Aingeal
December 30th, 2015, 12:54 PM
I'd say you're there!

missrandie
December 30th, 2015, 01:03 PM
I called shoulder when it started brushing my trapezius muscles (shoulder muscles), and I would say you are at that point, at least!

ashyash
December 30th, 2015, 08:38 PM
Yeah! I agree that it looks shoulder length, because it can clearly touch your shoulders! :cool:

AJNinami
December 30th, 2015, 08:50 PM
I'd say it's shoulder. If there isn't definite space between the hair and the base of the neck, it should be. But only call it what you feel comfortable calling it- if you feel like you're cheating, it'll be better to say "One more month!" than feel guilty.

Chocowalnut
December 30th, 2015, 10:19 PM
If it's touching you're shoulders at all you can call it. A couple inches past shoulder and you can call it collar bone length.

stelz
December 31st, 2015, 12:57 AM
Its hard to tell if you are shoulder length or not because of the angle of your head.
Others may have a different opinion but I think it starts when your hair is resting on your shoulders, provided you don't have very thin end or something (you know, like one hair touches your shoulders but the rest doesn't).
You certainly are not a pixie nor are you ear length anymore from what I can see so if you're not at shoulder, you're close and you have made good progress from the pics in your siggy.

It's really up to you when you claim milestones. We are not the hair police. If you call a milestone a bit sooner than some think you should, I can't see that it really matters all that much.

You are an attractive looking lady with nice hair in any case.

This.

I tend to describe people as having "shoulder length hair" when it's collarbone-ish, i.e., there's hair resting on the shoulders. Like Bette Davis's long bob in All About Eve. But that leaves an unnamed expanse between chin length and shoulder. Others, as you can see in this thread, see it differently. Out of curiousity, I did a google image search on "shoulder length hair" and got everything from a short Dutch boy cut, to top-of-boobs. It's not a precise term. Most hair terms aren't - what one person calls "dirty blonde", another might call "brown".

If it was important to be precise when discussing these things, people would be saying things like "Your hair appears to have reached vertebrae C6." Nobody does that. ;)

Sweets
December 31st, 2015, 01:07 AM
This.

I tend to describe people as having "shoulder length hair" when it's collarbone-ish, i.e., there's hair resting on the shoulders. Like Bette Davis's long bob in All About Eve. But that leaves an unnamed expanse between chin length and shoulder. Others, as you can see in this thread, see it differently. Out of curiousity, I did a google image search on "shoulder length hair" and got everything from a short Dutch boy cut, to top-of-boobs. It's not a precise term. Most hair terms aren't - what one person calls "dirty blonde", another might call "brown".

If it was important to be precise when discussing these things, people would be saying things like "Your hair appears to have reached vertebrae C6." Nobody does that. ;)

I laughed out loud at the spinal anatomy lesson - we could be growing and learning! Lol.

I don't know when I am going to call shoulder...with the pixie growing out, some of my hair is past my shoulders, but some hasn't even reached my neck yet. I can put everything except my bangs behind my ears, but not all of it reaches my tiny little ponytail.

OP, you look like you can call it, however!

chen bao jun
December 31st, 2015, 10:02 AM
Yeah, I agree with Stelzthe terms are mostly very imprecise for hair lengths.

It depends a lot on you and your sense of when to call things, what your hair length is.

Just be glad you're not a curly, which makes things crazy so far as hair length is concerned. I call myself BSL because my hair definitely hits bra bottom when straightened, but not only does it not appear to that long when curly, but my bra sits low anyway--and my hair appears to be totally different lengths at different times. I can actually measure (3 to 6 months later) and find that my hair is shorter in inches than the last time (months ago)--when it has clearly grown a decentish amount.

I think you are basically shoulder length (though I wouldn't say for sure without seeing a straight on picture with your head held level.).

Happy growing!!

AutobotsAttack
December 31st, 2015, 10:09 AM
yea id defintely say shoulder. you arent shrugging them or anything, and i can see theres a bit of a curl going on towards the ends of your hair, so if you stretched them out, im positive youd be at shoulder.

irodaryne
December 31st, 2015, 11:26 AM
I called shoulder recently because when my hair is pulled straight I can actually hold it down on my shoulders with a finger (like... pressing down on the hair to hold it down) even though my hair really looks anywhere between shoulder and chin because of the little curly swoops at the bottom that eat up my length.

So.... for me personally I say shoulder is when your hair can touch your shoulder muscles, and if it gets any sort of wave or curl then I count stretched in that.

Angel_Abby
December 31st, 2015, 08:07 PM
I called mine a little differently. If it's at the top of my shoulders, it's nape length for me. Then to my shoulder blades is where I call it shoulder. This is no mans land for me(takes forever to get to apl for me from chin) so I made my own milestones in between lol!

Nique1202
January 1st, 2016, 03:57 AM
I called mine a little differently. If it's at the top of my shoulders, it's nape length for me. Then to my shoulder blades is where I call it shoulder. This is no mans land for me(takes forever to get to apl for me from chin) so I made my own milestones in between lol!

You probably called nape length where I called shoulder, and shoulder where I called collarbone since my shoulders slope so much the outsides are near level with my collarbone at rest. XD Funny how we just use different words to mean the same things sometimes.

Angel_Abby
January 1st, 2016, 10:21 AM
Probably so!

I have to make milestones in between the normal ones or I can get bored. ;)

yahirwaO.o
January 1st, 2016, 10:26 AM
I don't like being a purist hair length. I say you are already shoulder length, because visually it looks like so!!

.... and the quirky photo is just cute!!! :D