PDA

View Full Version : shedding concern

reilly0167
December 30th, 2015, 12:35 PM
Hi everyone...I been thru a lot in the last two years with divorce and the chaotic drama.. It finally finalized back in Sept. 2015...and still going thru a lot of stress.... Well lately I noticed my hair feels kinda thinner...before I started henna yes I shed a lot but i figured no big deal my hair is thick tangles easy comes with the territory but didn't feel like I have less....now I noticed my thickness has reduced..I can run my hand down my lengths and I get long hair shed.. Its scaring me to death....I started to eat right..take my vitamins especially iron because I am anemic..can stress really play a big role?

Sarahlabyrinth
December 30th, 2015, 01:35 PM
Yes, stress really can make your hair fall out. But when the stress goes, the hair usually grows back. I lost a quarter of my thickness in 2013 after a stressful divorce but the thickness is very slowly growing back but seriously it is going to take me years and years. :(

Just eat healthy, keep stress down and your hair will recover. But it will be s.l.o.w.

meteor
December 30th, 2015, 04:09 PM
I definitely agree with Sarahlabyrinth! :agree:

I just wanted to add that it's a good idea to get bloodwork tests done, since the stressful period and not eating right for a while might have had an effect on health... If the tests show any deficiencies, it might be worth supplementing, with doctor's approval. Also, anemia can certainly increase shedding, big time, so it's great that you are taking care of that! :thumbsup:
And of course, make sure you are getting enough rest and sleep, if the serious stress is still present: for example, you could introduce moderate exercise, yoga and meditation strategically in the hours before bedtime to help with sleep, if it's an issue.

I really hope you'll feel much better soon and the full thickness will come back soon! :cheer:

Arctic
December 30th, 2015, 04:14 PM
If you are anemic and perhaps malnourished (since you haven't been eating well, as I read between the lines), you'd better correct these right away. If iron deificency is the cause, getting the levels up takes time, and it takes even longer to get your thickness back. As for malnutrition, I've read it might take 2 years for the hair to recover after the nutrition has been corrected (and when we are talking about long hair, it takes much longer until the new growth will reach the hemline).

Maybe try exercising, or listening to calming youtube videos. Those might help with stress. And yes, I believe it can play a big role, but so do iron and other nutrition deficiencies - take corrective measures that are in your power, and try not to stress over the things that aren't.

I hope your stress will be over soon and you will have a complete recovery!

reilly0167
December 30th, 2015, 06:16 PM
Thank you everyone...will definitely keep up..will be making a Dr. appt..and request a full panel of tests rule things out..again thank you for taking the time to reply=)

Garnetgem
January 15th, 2016, 03:41 PM
If anaemic you also need to take b12 and B6 along with vit C to help absorb the iron as iron alone wont be of much help,if in doubt check with a doctor first as i did this before and was put on high dose of B6 as i lacked iron due to being gluten free and my hair was shedding it is now slowly getting back to normal.

reilly0167
January 16th, 2016, 03:16 PM
If anaemic you also need to take b12 and B6 along with vit C to help absorb the iron as iron alone wont be of much help,if in doubt check with a doctor first as i did this before and was put on high dose of B6 as i lacked iron due to being gluten free and my hair was shedding it is now slowly getting back to normal.
Just so happens my sr. Said the exactly same thing about the vitamins...its been a few weeks so far on my vitamins...haven't missed a dose yet.

Garnetgem
January 16th, 2016, 03:27 PM
Just so happens my sr. Said the exactly same thing about the vitamins...its been a few weeks so far on my vitamins...haven't missed a dose yet.

It can take up to 3 months to before you can notice a difference when it comes to vitamins and hair,i know it sounds a long time especially when your hair is shedding but it should help and maybe wait a few more weeks before giving in.

reilly0167
January 16th, 2016, 05:49 PM
Oh I won't give in....I have to do whatever it takes to keep my health in check...and I'm ok with the fact that it takes time=)

Garnetgem
January 16th, 2016, 06:12 PM
Oh I won't give in....I have to do whatever it takes to keep my health in check...and I'm ok with the fact that it takes time=)

I read somwhere once that lack of zinc can play a part in hair loss so maybe try looking into how much your taking,other things that help with hair is kelp apparently it speeds up growth and improves overall health of hair i have been meaning to try it myself and probably will do so as i myself have been through major shedding.

reilly0167
January 17th, 2016, 07:31 PM
Zinc?..hmmm...couldn't hurt adding that to my vitamin intake