PDA

View Full Version : How much have you trimmed/cut this year?

Mainesongbird
December 28th, 2015, 02:35 PM
Hello everyone! As the new year approaches, I was wondering how much everyone has trimmed or cut this year? You may not have trimmed at all, microtrimmed, trimmed a little or trimmed a lot! I thought it might be fun to see how we all differ and looking back on this year!

Personally I've trimmed 9 inches. I always get 3 inch trims and this year I had three trims. I was edging past hip, but I prefer to stay in the MBL-Waist range. It sounds like a lot, but I've got a pretty fast growth rate! =D Happy New Year Everyone!

meteor
December 28th, 2015, 02:47 PM
0 inches :)
I went from TBL+ to Classic+ this year with good ends, no splits... If I'm lucky enough for this trend to continue, I might avoid trimming in 2016, as well (after all, I've already signed up for the no-trim 2016 challenge ;) ).

Happy New Year, Everyone! :cheer:

Aingeal
December 28th, 2015, 02:57 PM
I trimmed A LOT. LOL Whatever grew in got cut off. But I was growing out henna and then fixing a bad cut. :) Now I'm going to hopefully just have two small trims this year and grow grow grow!

Robi-Bird
December 28th, 2015, 03:02 PM
I trimmed 6 or 7 inches and put in layers. This year will be minimal trims and letting the layers grow out a bit.

Lauraes
December 28th, 2015, 03:20 PM
4 inches. 2 in February, and 2 in December. I won't be trimming at all in 2016.

arr
December 28th, 2015, 03:26 PM
This year I trimmed a total of 2 1/2 inches: 1 inch the beginning of November and then 1 1/2 inches last week since the 1 inch didn't feel like enough. I had made it to BCL this month and now I'm a little shorter than that but it's fine because I plan to maintain for the next year right around BCL give or take a little. So for 2016 I plan to trim all my growth of around 6 inches and by this time next year I will have gotten rid of all my pre LHC hair.

Nique1202
December 28th, 2015, 03:33 PM
I trimmed about 3 inches this year I think (1 in January, 1 in February, and another two half-inch trims this summer) and still gained about 5 inches even with my growth stall. Like you, I've got a very fast growth rate (usually about 9 inches a year) only I'm aiming for much much longer.

Carolyn
December 28th, 2015, 03:38 PM
I think I've trimmed 7-8" this year. I've gotten rid of the last of my old layers and now have a straight across blunt cut. I tend to like the 3" below waist to 3" above waist range with no fairly tale ends.

LongCurlyTress
December 28th, 2015, 03:50 PM
0 inches :)
I went from TBL+ to Classic+ this year with good ends, no splits... If I'm lucky enough for this trend to continue, I might avoid trimming in 2016, as well (after all, I've already signed up for the no-trim 2016 challenge ;) ).

Happy New Year, Everyone! :cheer:

How exciting to reach classic from TBL this past year without trimming and still healthy!!! That is my goal two years from now ;))) Best of luck for your commitment to no trimming in 2016!! Happy Growing and Happy New Year to you and everyone too! ;):applause

meteor
December 28th, 2015, 04:01 PM
^ O LongCurlyTress, thank you so very much! :smooch: You are very kind! :blossom:
A Very Happy Growing Year 2016 to you, too! :cheer:

I hope you'll get to your goal very soon! Best of luck! And Happy Growing! :joy:

LongCurlyTress
December 28th, 2015, 04:03 PM
^ O LongCurlyTress, thank you so very much! :smooch: You are very kind! :blossom:
A Very Happy Growing Year 2016 to you, too! :cheer:

Thank you so much!!! :happydance:

spidermom
December 28th, 2015, 05:13 PM
Lots. I almost never measure, so that's as specific as I can get. Due to an epic stress shed, I've been keeping my ends just above tailbone because I've been seeing gaps. I'm not used to that.

lunalocks
December 28th, 2015, 05:20 PM
I trimmed 4 inches in August after not trimming at all for about 2 years. I had racer hairs that were way longer than the others and they truly bugged me. I still have significant taper but I am not going to trim/cut for another year.

Even though I trimmed 4 inches, I also grew 4 inches! Which means I grew a full 8 inches this past year!

RebekahE
December 28th, 2015, 05:24 PM
I've trimmed about 5 inches altogether this year. I am hoping to only trim the very ends 2-3 times next year if needed.

vpatt
December 28th, 2015, 05:44 PM
I dusted last January maybe one quarter inch and again this month about half an inch.

Mainesongbird
December 28th, 2015, 05:51 PM
That's impressive! I don't know if I would have that determination! I love fresh ends and my hair splits sorta easy even if I'm nice to it! ;) Happy new year!

veryhairyfairy
December 28th, 2015, 06:02 PM
In 2015 I trimmed about 11" from my length, and 19" if you count the sides of the V shaped hemline I just cut.
I maintained at TBL all through 2015 and somehow my growth rate shot up to almost 1" a month, crazy! (I'm not saying it was the moon-phase trims, but it might have been the moon-phase trims)

My plan is to only cut about 5" in 2016, that should rid me of all the real damage I have left.

Zesty
December 28th, 2015, 06:07 PM
Zilch. Went from APLish to just shy of waist, so I've signed up for no trim 2016 as well!

yahirwaO.o
December 28th, 2015, 06:32 PM
veryhairyfairy I thought I was the only one who let a lot of inches out. I pretty much micro trim and trimmed an inch every month during 2015.

I had very ratty almost invisible ends at the beginning of the year and now my ends are thicker and my hair overall feels much better-fuller! 12-13 inches if u count my today's trim, got a solid V shape with lots of face framing layers. Blunt cuts are fine but keeping APL all the time makes it a boring needed a little change because I wear my hair down all the time.

2016 I'll do the same, after that I want to go for solid MBL!!!!

Nadine <3
December 28th, 2015, 08:20 PM
I trimmed an inch and a half. Took off the last of my layers.

MeAndTheMaz
December 28th, 2015, 08:43 PM
I was going to go trim free this year, but I broke down and did about an inch and a half late summer/early fall. I managed to pack on about five inches this year, so I guess that makes me quite average (in more ways than one).

lapis_lazuli
December 28th, 2015, 09:18 PM
Also 0 inches here :waving:
Although, that could have to do with the fact I don't know how to trim my hair. :-)
Ah well, my ends are doing fine, especially since I've gotten my hands on some hairsticks and can actually put it up now.:guns:

maskedrose
December 28th, 2015, 09:31 PM
I trimmed 3-4", and cut in some layers. I gained about 3", taking me from above waist to solidly hip, the zone that I've been in FOREVER. Still growing out highlight damage, but I trimmed out the worst of it this year and the ends are finally getting healthy enough to take me past hip without turning to cotton candy. In 2016, I'm allowing myself a small trim in June, and then whenever I reach BCL I'm maintaining indefinitely :)

Cowgirl16
December 28th, 2015, 09:32 PM
Last year I trimmed off a lot, maybe 8-10 inches. This year I only trimmed once on December 24th and took 5 inces off. My hair may have hit terminal I'm not sure, it seems to stick at lower calf length. :rolleyes:

hanne jensen
December 29th, 2015, 02:03 AM
I've trimmed about 7 cm off this year.

Crystawni
December 29th, 2015, 03:03 AM
Not counting the layers and face-framing I cut in, I trimmed 13cm off my hem, which is just over 5", and am now 3cm (just over an inch) longer than I was this time last year. I got to waist and beyond after no trims for almost a year after joining LHC in April 2014, but wasn't happy with the rug on my back nor the fluffy, Velcro ends. Sooooo, while battling some shed thinning that shows mostly on the sides, and mucking around with layers (ponytail method at almost hip worked out too thin and wonky on the ends) and hemlines, I'm now back at waist. Since I'm currently happy with the shape and body of my hair, 2016 should only be a dusting-when-needed year for me.

Happy 2016, all!

Arctic
December 29th, 2015, 03:03 AM
I haven't counted either my growth rate or how much I trimmed - although there was a time I kept tabs on my growth and it was a steady 1 cm a months, and I have no reason to suspect it's any different now. Basically I can count on having about 12 centimeters of growth per year.

I have been trimming very often, most of them have been dustings (just 2-3 millimeters, maybe 4 mm from the quickest racers). I started the really small dustings on the later half of the year, the first half of the year I took a little bit more to be able to call it a dusting, but still a small trim territory (maybe 5-9 mm would be a good avarage, less than cm generally).

If I remember correctly, I had one bigger trim, about an inch in late spring/early summer. This was to cut off some layers gone bad. This was also from a time before I had learned to blend in layers manually, so if it would have happened now, I wouldn't have opted for cutting them out, just blended them better.

But, I don't really regret that trim, I think it's good for the hair to occasionally take a bigger amount off instead of dusting. Dusting only touches the longest, quickest growing hairs, and on my hair it seems to benefit from regular dusting on "all" hairs. "" because of course cutting all the different lengths if impossible with a trim.

In early autumn/late summer I cut some face framing layers, which turned into an unexpected hack job. It didn't take off from my actual length, but it did take off a big chunk of my side hairs, and gave me layers starting at the top-middle of my head (and very ugly, step-like "bangs"). I needed to do lot of blending to make them look nice. I am going to grow those layers partially away, so I've continued my regular trimming. Although I haven't yet taken bigger amount from my hemline, which I will need to do at some point (because when I dust both hemline and layers the same, they don't get a change to even out).

Out of the 12 cm (ish) of growth, I'd guestimate I've cut off (from the hemline, that is) at least 5 cm, possibly more. I've grown from shoulders to touching APL on a good day. In fact I am surprised that with all my trimming I got this far, my only explanation is, that most of the trims were, like i already said, teeny tiny dustings, which only touch the racers.

The dustings have been working well, they satisfy my need to reach for the scissors, keep my hemline nice and don't take much length off. Although I will need to have a bigger trim (maybe inch) again in the near future, so also the slower growing hairs will be trimmed. I am also planning to changing my hemline when I get to a more solid APL. This will take more hair from the sides. I think I am saving my bigger trim for the hemline changing occasion.

embee
December 29th, 2015, 06:25 AM
No trims in 2015. (or 2006 - 2014)
None planned for 2016.

khryz
December 29th, 2015, 06:31 AM
I started off at slightly over CL this year, and could now be at APL if not for the perm damage I had to chop off during the 2nd half of the year. :(

TR
December 29th, 2015, 07:13 AM
Ha ha, this year I "trimmed" it ALL off, went from APL+ to extremely short pixie. Right now it's a long pixie, about to be a mullet any day. I'm doing the no-trim challenge for 2016. I've never gone a whole year without trims, and actually by the end of 2016 it will be more like 15 months with no trims for me. I'm interested to see what happens.

Accalia
December 29th, 2015, 07:31 AM
I trimmed 16cm / about 6.3 inches this year. Now I am back to BCL. Probably going to join the no trimming 2016 to see if I can get to classic.

lapushka
December 29th, 2015, 10:09 AM
No trimming. I last had a trim November 2013. I am going to be trimming January 1st 2016, to end the 2015 no-trimming challenge and to start off the 2016 no-trimming one!

lillielil
December 29th, 2015, 10:18 AM
Trimmed about 3" plus layers in February
Trimmed 1" in early fall
Micro-trimmed 1/4" or so monthly after that

Total of around 5" trimmed? Grew from about APL to just past BSL, so that makes sense.

lapushka
December 29th, 2015, 10:21 AM
Trimmed about 3" plus layers in February
Trimmed 1" in early fall
Micro-trimmed 1/4" or so monthly after that

Total of around 5" trimmed? Grew from about APL to just past BSL, so that makes sense.

Actually then that's pretty darn fast growth. Most people only grow 6 inches a year. ;)

SaucyWench
December 29th, 2015, 10:37 AM
26 inches.

Sterlyn
December 29th, 2015, 10:40 AM
I ended up trimming far more than I wanted this year. Somehow I ended up with really raggedy ends in the summer, not sure if it was breakage, a shed or what, but it needed to go. The last year I trimmed this much was 2012.

I started in January this year at 25", right now I'm at 28" stretched, since I estimate I get between 6-7" a year, that would be half or more of my growth. I intend to make sure those ends get moisture + oil daily to hopefully avoid ragged ends needing a trim for 2016.

lillielil
December 29th, 2015, 10:54 AM
Actually then that's pretty darn fast growth. Most people only grow 6 inches a year. ;)

Either my math or my memory is wrong :)

Sarahlabyrinth
December 29th, 2015, 12:33 PM
No trimming. I last had a trim November 2013. I am going to be trimming January 1st 2016, to end the 2015 no-trimming challenge and to start off the 2016 no-trimming one!

How much will you trim off, lapushka? :)

I probably would have trimmed around three inches this year, hoping for one inch off next year to maximise growth. Will do seasonal 1/4" trims.

Yarrow
December 29th, 2015, 01:20 PM
Way too much, considering that I tried to participate in the 2015 no trimming thing.
Well, that was a fail!
No idea how much I trimmed though because I usually just impulse cut and trim and this time around it was no different.
I feel much better now though and comfortable wearing my hair open, so I don't fret too much about it.

butterfly_dream
December 29th, 2015, 01:29 PM
This year I took 4 inches off. I am planning to be less aggressive with my trimming/dusting next year.

Agnes Hannah
December 29th, 2015, 01:41 PM
About 1.5 inches! did three trims this year, skipped the last one scheduled for the shortest day because I reached BCL! Planning on only two trims in 2016! Want to get to classic,

Lisa Long4Life
December 29th, 2015, 02:10 PM
I have the ends trimmed every 2 months, so somewhere between 3 and 6" I suppose. I'm not really sure though.

Chocowalnut
December 29th, 2015, 07:23 PM
I haven't trimmed the whole year. I think this is the longest I've ever gone without one. I might get one soon though as I am getting some splits and white dots.

diddiedaisy
December 29th, 2015, 07:47 PM
January 3.5cm
May 3 inches
August 1/2 cm
September 1 inch
October 1/2 cm
November 1/2 cm

So overall 15cm. I've gained up to 2cm so I probably grew about 17 cm which is 6.7 inches.

It comes in handy keeping hair records, non LHC'ers would probably think I was nuts hehe

Arctic
December 30th, 2015, 03:00 AM
January 3.5cm
May 3 inches
August 1/2 cm
September 1 inch
October 1/2 cm
November 1/2 cm

So overall 15cm. I've gained up to 2cm so I probably grew about 17 cm which is 6.7 inches.

It comes in handy keeping hair records, non LHC'ers would probably think I was nuts hehe

That is super growth!

lapushka
December 30th, 2015, 03:06 AM
How much will you trim off, lapushka? :)

I probably would have trimmed around three inches this year, hoping for one inch off next year to maximise growth. Will do seasonal 1/4" trims.

I am going back to a different layering method, so I think I can have quite a bit cut off without losing length, since the bottom layers are pretty long and in this method the back parts are shorter - if that makes sense. I am also 2 inches beyond classic. So I think between 2-4 inches. I am going back to classic length, that's for sure, so I'll trim in increments. 2 inches first, then if I am still beyond classic, a little more is going to come off.

diddiedaisy
December 30th, 2015, 03:27 AM
That is super growth!

Thanks, I think I have bits that grow faster than others. If I go just by my roots at the top of my head I get exactly 1cm every four weeks which is 13 cm per year. Wonky hair hehe

kganihanova
December 30th, 2015, 09:20 AM
Ehm, about 2 inches or so? I trim every 8-12 weeks, which seems like a lot, but I really do need it, my hair splits if I don't. I tried no trim but than caved and cut in some layers and went back to my trim schedule.

endlessly
December 30th, 2015, 09:55 AM
18 inches so far this year. At the beginning of last year, my hair was an inch or so away from knee, but I trimmed it back to hip in March to finally even out a bad haircut I'd had many years before. But, I made the mistake of going into a Great Clips for them to trim it and they ended up making it very uneven! So, after learning that hard lesson for the last time (trust me, there have been many Great Clips-related hair mistakes!), I trimmed it myself again once it grew past classic and took it up to TBL. Now, it's just nearly at classic again. FYI, my hair grows like a weed!

Frankenstein
January 1st, 2016, 12:53 AM
I had my first haircut of 5 years back in April; I was at classic. Cut to tailbone, then a few months later to hip where I've been maintaining ever since. Not sure how many inches I've cut total but I would estimate about 12 or so.

jera
January 1st, 2016, 01:41 AM
Just 1.5 inches for me this entire year. My ends tend to need trimming at least once a year. So I have to. :o

truepeacenik
January 1st, 2016, 01:43 AM
Less than an inch.
Half of it today, so I can attempt no trim for 2016.

In 2014 I had a five to six inch cut, so I'll be happy to more forward again.

Knifegill
January 1st, 2016, 03:38 AM
2 trims, probably barely an inch total, and just the tip of my ponytailed hair.

cat11
January 1st, 2016, 09:38 AM
I trimmed 2 inches this year. One inch on New years and one inch about six months later. This year I plan on trimming the same amount, but with smaller trims more often. I plan on doing 1/2 an inch per quarter. I'm trying to cut out old bleach and dye damage, still. At this rate I have 2 more years of getting rid of it. It's tempting to cut it all out this year and be done with it but I really want to make it to TB. If it's not all gone by the time I am at classic I plan on maintaining until it is gone....

Jo Ann
January 1st, 2016, 10:43 AM
Let's see...three 1/2" trims, an inch trim, oh yeah, Oldest Dear Son "evened" out my hair by taking off four inches THEN gave me the 1/2" trim I asked him for, so let's see...carry the one...seven inches off--and I'm STILL in the mid-back abyss between BSL and WL... :p

The Good News: No splits as I start the No Trim 2016 Challenge... :cool:

Silverbrumby
January 1st, 2016, 11:19 AM
Two trims of about 3'inches total. Total gain this year of 1/2'inch taking me to 28 inches. Yay for a gain.

mermaid lullaby
January 1st, 2016, 11:26 AM
0" I didn't need a trim...didn't have split ends either. I say that was a good accomplishment for 2015 :)

Saldana
January 1st, 2016, 12:55 PM
Except for bang trims, I've trimmed ZERO last year (2015). My goal was to reach waist (which my longest 'runners' did by today's measurement!) before starting microtrims. I'll start quarterly microtrims on the March equinox this year, to let the old layers catch up. And I'm going to be doing the dreaded bang grow out this year as well. :-/

Fericera
January 1st, 2016, 03:02 PM
Nothing. I did Lapushka's no trim challenge. :)

kidari
January 3rd, 2016, 12:10 AM
I tried her challenge in the beginning of 2015 and then caved and trimmed then I pretty much maintained all year lol so I cut off everything I gained and I'm exactly the same as before

longhairjenny
January 3rd, 2016, 01:13 AM
I did a couple self trims to even out my big chop. Now I'm not going to trim for 2016. Except I do shave my neck. Don't like my neck hair! 🙂

luvlonghair75
January 3rd, 2016, 05:16 AM
I grew about 5" throughout the year and almost 3" got cut off on December 31st. Going to try to go 2 years with no trimming! Here's to faster growing! (yeah, right!) lol :)

Zebra Fish
January 3rd, 2016, 11:20 AM
20 cm or more. I'm back to past BSL, but with some thickness back. Thinking about joining no trimming in 2016, but will see...