PDA

View Full Version : How do you use cocoa butter in your hair??

Nadine <3
December 28th, 2015, 10:52 AM
I've heard of people using it so I bought some to try. The smell is to die for, but I'm a bit embarrassed. How do people use this? I can't even get mine out of the jar! It's one solid chunk. I can scrape little tiny flakes out with my nail, but it's such a small amount and they won't really melt in my hands like coconut oil will. What do I do?? :)

Robi-Bird
December 28th, 2015, 11:23 AM
Cocoa butter is definitely a hard solid mass until melted. It has a high melting point so it will not melt at room temp. Luckily it can me melted repeatedly without degradation. I'd suggested melting the container and dividing it into ice cube trays so you can melt a little at a time whenever you want.

Another alternative is mixing it with she's or mango butter and some oil and whip it into a butter.

Anje
December 28th, 2015, 11:39 AM
I imagine it's easiest to melt it together with some warm oil that will remain liquid at room temperature.

luxurioushair
December 28th, 2015, 11:40 AM
I don't know, maybe they melt it in the microwave? I don't really like the sound of using cocoa butter for hair, to be honest. It's supposed to be good for skin, though!

Aingeal
December 28th, 2015, 11:41 AM
I've never used it before, but am going to follow to see how it goes for you! Are you using it as a deep conditioner?

Nadine <3
December 28th, 2015, 11:53 AM
Ohhh, I'm going to try melting it and whipping it together with some avocado oil.
AingealI think I'm going to try it as a leave in first, if my hair responds well with that I'll try a DT of some sort. Maybe mixed with some conditioner! I usually use olive oil as a leave in, but lately my hair needs something heavier. The dry cold air is making my hair frizztastic.:cool:

meteor
December 28th, 2015, 12:07 PM
It just has a high melting point (~95 - 100 °F, though it depends on the kind of butter), that's why it's so solid. You can work with it the same way as you would with shea butter (melting point ~89 -100°F), just warm it in a bain-marie (over hot water) or microwave it. You can whip it with runnier warmed up oils, too, to make texture more spreadable and creamy. :) Fox's shea conditioning cream works well with cocoa butter, too, for example.

chen bao jun
December 28th, 2015, 12:16 PM
You can just scrape a few little pieces up with a knife (thin ones) and press in your hands and it will warm up. I usually scrape a lot of pieces up at a time and then just use them one by one.

I've never used it straight in my hair but my friend who's a 1A with super fine (Scandinavian blonde type) hair uses it. Her ends were shredding a couple of years back and I told her to put coconut oil on them and she misheard me and started using just a little smear of cocoa butter when wet. By the time we cleared up the misunderstanding, she had grown to love the cocoa butter and just kept using that. Her ends are doing very well now, as well as you can with this hair type when you insist on wearing it down all the time. She's hit mid back,which she never could manage before (and she thinks I'm wonderful, even though the suggestion was a mistake).
She does put it on her face too and says its a great moisturizer and wrinkle preventer (which I know is true). Plus, if you use it on scars, it fades them over time. Has to be 100% though

Nadine <3
December 28th, 2015, 02:21 PM
Alrighty! I chiseled some out and melted it down in a double boiler. I measured out half a cup and then added equal amounts of avocado oil and stirred it together. I plunked the dish into the freezer for a few minutes and, took it out when it had a solid top on it. I whipped it for a few minutes with a hand mixer and got a lovely thick cream! It honestly looks like cream cheese lol

I'll be washing my hair tonight and using it as a leave in. I hope it works out! I wouldn't mind using it on my skin though ;)

brickworld13
December 28th, 2015, 02:46 PM
I have a little container of this too. I got it in New Orleans a couple years ago. I would be afraid to microwave in the dish it's in. Flimsy plastic doesn't bode well for heat. I usually work with it the way chen suggested. Little pieces to melt one at a time. I use the shea butter more as it's a little bit easier to work with. That reminds me. I should do an experiment with one of those butters. Frizz is being obnoxious right now even with all the rain.

Robi-Bird
December 28th, 2015, 02:48 PM
Alrighty! I chiseled some out and melted it down in a double boiler. I measured out half a cup and then added equal amounts of avocado oil and stirred it together. I plunked the dish into the freezer for a few minutes and, took it out when it had a solid top on it. I whipped it for a few minutes with a hand mixer and got a lovely thick cream! It honestly looks like cream cheese lol

I'll be washing my hair tonight and using it as a leave in. I hope it works out! I wouldn't mind using it on my skin though ;)
It'll probably harden a little more but it should be easily useable. If you get acne, I'd avoid using it on your skin because it's a pore clogger.

Nadine <3
December 28th, 2015, 03:19 PM
I have a little container of this too. I got it in New Orleans a couple years ago. I would be afraid to microwave in the dish it's in. Flimsy plastic doesn't bode well for heat. I usually work with it the way chen suggested. Little pieces to melt one at a time. I use the shea butter more as it's a little bit easier to work with. That reminds me. I should do an experiment with one of those butters. Frizz is being obnoxious right now even with all the rain.
Yeah, mine is in a little plastic jar too. NOW foods brand. I bought a little jar of shea ages ago, but I never used it because I can't stand the smell. We're getting our first massive snow fall, it's been chucking down since early this morning.

It'll probably harden a little more but it should be easily useable. If you get acne, I'd avoid using it on your skin because it's a pore clogger.
Oh, thank you for warning me! I get terrible acne! Maybe I'll try it out from the waist down then just to be safe.

veryhairyfairy
December 28th, 2015, 04:13 PM
Yeah, mine is in a little plastic jar too. NOW foods brand. I bought a little jar of shea ages ago, but I never used it because I can't stand the smell. We're getting our first massive snow fall, it's been chucking down since early this morning.

Oh, thank you for warning me! I get terrible acne! Maybe I'll try it out from the waist down then just to be safe.

You inspired me to buy some just because it smells so good lol, here's hoping you (and I) like it!

Just FYI, my younger brother had severe acne for years and years and had no problems using cocoa butter on his face, but I would definitely test an acne prone section of skin for a few weeks before using it on your face. (I'm in trials with straight up lanolin right now, kind of loving it)

brickworld13
December 28th, 2015, 04:44 PM

Yeah. Shea butter smells strange. I'm not in love with the smell but I don't hate it either. I tolerate it. :lol: mine isn't a brand name. I got it in the French Market from some friendly African vendors. The containers for the shea and the cocoa butters are both more flimsy that the containers I put leftovers in.

You inspired me to buy some just because it smells so good lol, here's hoping you (and I) like it!

Just FYI, my younger brother had severe acne for years and years and had no problems using cocoa butter on his face, but I would definitely test an acne prone section of skin for a few weeks before using it on your face. (I'm in trials with straight up lanolin right now, kind of loving it)

Where. Did. You. Get. Lanolin?!!!! My skin loves that stuff. How do I know? I used to report to grandpa's farm during sheering and help wrestle sheep, pack burlap bags of wool for market, make lemonade, and fetch sandwiches from grandma. My hands were so dead after a weekend of doing that, BUT they were soooo soft. So I had super soft hands with fingers that I couldn't bend. :lol:

Obsidian
December 28th, 2015, 04:52 PM
You can find lanolin and many other hair friendly oils at soap supply sites. This one is one of my favorites http://www.naturesgardencandles.com/index.php?page=seek&id%5Bm%5D=pattern&id%5Bq%5D=lanolin

veryhairyfairy
December 28th, 2015, 04:55 PM
Yeah. Shea butter smells strange. I'm not in love with the smell but I don't hate it either. I tolerate it. :lol: mine isn't a brand name. I got it in the French Market from some friendly African vendors. The containers for the shea and the cocoa butters are both more flimsy that the containers I put leftovers in.

Where. Did. You. Get. Lanolin?!!!! My skin loves that stuff. How do I know? I used to report to grandpa's farm during sheering and help wrestle sheep, pack burlap bags of wool for market, make lemonade, and fetch sandwiches from grandma. My hands were so dead after a weekend of doing that, BUT they were soooo soft. So I had super soft hands with fingers that I couldn't bend. :lol:

Sheep shearing season sounds like good down-home funwork!

http://www.amazon.com/Now-Foods-Liquid-Lanolin-Ounce/dp/B00028MLKC/ref=sr_1_2?s=beauty&ie=UTF8&qid=1451346513&sr=1-2&keywords=lanolin

This is the stuff I bought, I've been using it off and on for about a month and I just love it! It does have the possibility for pesticides, though, so if you're sensitive I would try and find something organic... yech I just read a couple links about how wool is treated before the lanolin is extracted and bought this stuff: https://www.pureformulas.com/lanolin-4-oz-by-heritage.html?CUSTOMTRACKING=CUSTOMTRACKING&CAWELAID=530005240006108861&CAGPSPN=pla&catargetid=530005240002632614&cadevice=c&gclid=CjwKEAiA2IO0BRDXmLndksSB0WgSJADNKqqo2VZEB4Hl RsLZ3qyQ5Rav7ESedcvDlisUCx5lU1pJpRoC_FXw_wcB

brickworld13
December 28th, 2015, 04:57 PM
Thank you Obsidian and fairy. I will bookmark those for a day with some spare cash. :flowers:

CurlyCap
December 28th, 2015, 07:08 PM
Go easy Nadine.

I love cocoa butter on my hair, but it feels like half-way between a wax and an oil. It definitely lingers and is not easy to wash out!

I'd stay start with a tiiiiiiiiiiny bit and build up. Cause it's gonna be hard to hide if you use too much.

Nadine <3
December 28th, 2015, 07:36 PM
Well, my hair has been washed! I scooped up a blob about the size of a nickel, rubbed it between my hands and spread it on my soaking hair before putting it in my turban. My hair dried *so* soft and sleak! It didn't look weighted down or oily at all and my frizz halo was very controlled. I have a fantastic shine and my ends are not sticking together likt they like to do. Awesome! Hopefully, it doesn't build up on my hair. I'll start out using it every other wash

I tried it on my legs and to be honest they just feel oily but still dry and itchy. Back to my trusted lotion for that :)

chen bao jun
December 28th, 2015, 08:56 PM
Your skin has to be not quite dry after bathing or washing when you use cocoa butter on it. It seals the water moisture in.
Actually, this is true in general for oils on skin, or lotions. they shouldn't be put on completely dry skin.

Nadine <3
December 28th, 2015, 10:52 PM
Your skin has to be not quite dry after bathing or washing when you use cocoa butter on it. It seals the water moisture in.
Actually, this is true in general for oils on skin, or lotions. they shouldn't be put on completely dry skin.

That's how I used it. I put it on while still in the shower to help it melt into my skin, then I pat myself dry after I got my hair out of the way. It still left me feeling kinda dry bt oily at the same time. My hair LOVED it though, I can't keep it in a bun at all!

veryhairyfairy
December 29th, 2015, 04:53 AM
That's how I used it. I put it on while still in the shower to help it melt into my skin, then I pat myself dry after I got my hair out of the way. It still left me feeling kinda dry bt oily at the same time. My hair LOVED it though, I can't keep it in a bun at all!

How exciting that your hair loves it!

One other way to use it on your skin could be over your lotion; kind of a LOC for your skin. ;)
When I apply post-shower lotion I always follow up right away with a thin coat/smear of shea butter (or lanolin, or sunflower oil, whatever I have).

lapushka
December 29th, 2015, 08:38 AM
I'd melt it, and mix it with one or two liquid (and very light) oils, so you get a nice more thin and more easily soluble consistency. It might build up too fast otherwise. It might also be better for your skin that way. I'd go 25% cocoa butter and 75% a liquid oil. You could add EOs to it, to your liking. I think that would work out better for a leave-in than anything else.

Nadine <3
December 29th, 2015, 12:10 PM
Really happy with the cocoa butter! Usually my hair is dried out and needs a few drops of oil before I can detangle and put it up for the day but not this morning! My hair is soft and silky with no tangles :)

Yarrow
December 29th, 2015, 12:50 PM
Sounds like you are a member of the cocoa butter fan club now.
My hair is one too.
I actually love the solidness. It's great for taking with traveling and its less messy and fussy then the liquid oils I've tried.
I usually just take a bit of it and rub it between my fingers till it gets melty. Then run it through my length. If I apply it long before wash day, I just comb the lengths with a wooden comb, that helps distribute it. And I use a different comb for my scalp, so it won't get greasy.
A little does go a long way. When I first used it, I heated up way too much and overdosed and my hair was really oily and it took several washes to get out. Similar to coconut oil, the only time it turned waxy and white on my hair was when I overdosed and the hair must have been oversaturated.
It's pretty much like any other oil. If I mildly oil my hair before I go into dry conditions like a airplane flight, then at the end of the day my hair won't be oily but won't be dried out. It just makes my hair much softer and tangle free then any other oil I have tried.
I bought like 300g 2 years ago and it's lasted till now. I think I still got a month or two left to go. I also oiled other people's hair with it, so I think 2 years was a good turn out.

Aingeal
December 29th, 2015, 02:46 PM
Glad it worked for you!

vpatt
December 29th, 2015, 04:11 PM
I used to buy cocoa butter in pellet form so chiseling was not an issue. I believe you can order them from www.brambleberry.com

Anje
December 29th, 2015, 04:17 PM
Alright, I'm testing this. I had a stick of cocoa butter that needed to be melted and reformed anyway, so I mixed a dab of it with avocado oil.