PDA

View Full Version : So, what do you think of these?

Sarahlabyrinth
December 27th, 2015, 02:34 AM
These hairs on the underside of my hair? They look like a giant frizz/ curl explosion.

http://i1253.photobucket.com/albums/hh582/Sarahlabyrinth/DSCF6769.jpg

They are quite different in appearance to the hair on the front/top of my head:

http://i1253.photobucket.com/albums/hh582/Sarahlabyrinth/DSCF6791.jpg

Here you can see the transition between curl/frizz and non curl/frizz:

http://i1253.photobucket.com/albums/hh582/Sarahlabyrinth/DSCF6792.jpg

So, my question is - do you think the frizz is - short curly new hairs?
-breakage from updos/wearing a necklace?
- just an extra curly underlayer and nothing to worry about?

Actually, now that I think about it, my underlayer does seem curlier than the surface hair. But what do you all think? And what should I do about all these hairs? Anything? Or are they ok just as they are? Aren't they "weird?"

Your ideas/opinions please... :) And do any of you have the same problem?

stelz
December 27th, 2015, 03:01 AM
A few of my grays do that. There's a single hair near the part that springs up over its straight, silky comrades. "Hey, look at ME! Hi hi hi!"
Have they always been like that, or is this a recent development?

Sarahlabyrinth
December 27th, 2015, 03:04 AM
Well, I don't usually wear my hair up in such a high updo as to be able to see them like this. But there does always seem to be some hairs extra curly/wavy around the nape area. So maybe they have always been there. But do they look abnormal? Or what? (puzzled)

lapushka
December 27th, 2015, 04:48 AM
Join the club ;)
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=131555

Obsidian
December 27th, 2015, 05:27 AM
I don't know about the length but the curly bit looks normal. My hair is tightly curled at the nape, gently curled above my ears and wavy everywhere else. Bit of a nightmare really, I lose half my length to shrinkage at the nape while the rest gets straighter as it gets longer.

Arctic
December 27th, 2015, 06:26 AM
I think it looks like your nape hairs are curlier, and as it's very common for the perimeter hairs to have shorter terminal length (and there are always new hairs growing in) --> the combination of these leads to this look you posted your photo of.

It's very normal to have different hair types in one head. My underlayer is also wavier than my canopy (I also have several strand thicknesses).

If you can get your hubby to check if the shorter curly hairs have virgin tip (uncut, un-broken) it would give you peace of mind that they are not breakage. (Or take a macro photo of the area and see yourself.) But even if they would be breakage, it still looks to me that this area grows curlier on you than the rest of your hair. Maybe you could do what Spidermom often suggests: swirl the nape hairs around your gelled/aloe vera-ed finger so they will form cute nape curls. Her name escapes me right now, but out member, something like Wild - - Diva has these nape curls and they look adorable.

Or, you could try to smooth them with product, or by blow drying.

Mimha
December 27th, 2015, 06:49 AM
Lol, Sarah !^^ These are just lovely ! :crush:

In the XIX century litterature, a "mossy nape" (= full of curly flyaways) was considered extremely feminine and attractive ! (And so it still is in my little mountain village^^) So I wouldn't worry to be blessed with it ! I have had this "flyaways halo" around my head all my life and everybody in my family was loving it. There is no "anti-frizz" dictatorship in my village and also none in my generation of people. (Younger people are more into the ultra slippery fashion, though. But hey, I LOVE my frizz !!! :D).

Actually, hair is a kind of furry area of our body, and among the very long hairs, there are much smaller soft ones which will never grow as long, and which make a kind of "under layer". There are as well different areas of the scalp on which the hair structure can be strikingly different, both in thickness and texture, as well as in color. In my case, it has always amazed me ! My "exterior" layer is warm golden chestnut, made of wavy and medium thickness quick growing hair, whereas the inferior part (which lays under the previous one) is made out of fine to ultra-fine dark ashy brown hair, with delicate and easily splitting strands. The nape and temples area are much curlier than the back of my head too. There is nothing weird in this to worry about.

Concerning the nape though, you may experience a bit of damage due to the fact that hair may rub against pullovers and coats collars in the winter, or against the pillow if you sleep with your hair tossed up beyond the pillow as I do. But frankly, I sleep like this since 2 years now and I haven't noticed anything to worry about. I had more damage when my hair was braided and my head rolled on my "superior hair" which is less mosturized by sebum, and much more brittle due to the permanent exposition to the sun. And concerning the necklace, I would not worry either : your frizzy flyaways are all around your nape up to your ears, so it can't be due to your necklace. There are just natural lovely little hairs ! :)

Angela_Rose
December 27th, 2015, 07:13 AM
Ah, the nape fuzz. I think most of us have that. I like to play with mine and form it into proper curls.

ravenheather
December 27th, 2015, 11:27 AM
Yes wildcat diva does have adorable nape curlies.

Groovy Granny
December 27th, 2015, 11:32 AM
Join the club ;)
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=131555
Yup...your head looks like mine some days.
Yay for new growth :cheer:

Beborani
December 27th, 2015, 11:37 AM
Hennaing and indigoing regularly has tamed those strands for me. Maybe cassia or something similar with no color may help for you if it bothers you.

Wildcat Diva
December 27th, 2015, 12:31 PM
I think it looks like your nape hairs are curlier, and as it's very common for the perimeter hairs to have shorter terminal length (and there are always new hairs growing in) --> the combination of these leads to this look you posted your photo of.

It's very normal to have different hair types in one head. My underlayer is also wavier than my canopy (I also have several strand thicknesses).

If you can get your hubby to check if the shorter curly hairs have virgin tip (uncut, un-broken) it would give you peace of mind that they are not breakage. (Or take a macro photo of the area and see yourself.) But even if they would be breakage, it still looks to me that this area grows curlier on you than the rest of your hair. Maybe you could do what Spidermom often suggests: swirl the nape hairs around your gelled/aloe vera-ed finger so they will form cute nape curls. Her name escapes me right now, but out member, something like Wild - - Diva has these nape curls and they look adorable.

Or, you could try to smooth them with product, or by blow drying.

I'm a SUPERSTAR!
http://i1083.photobucket.com/albums/j386/janineevans/69A6C007-DF33-4DAD-A42D-77FE0D4E069C_zps6p2qddlr.png
Lol thank you!

ravenheather
December 27th, 2015, 12:43 PM
There they are.

neko_kawaii
December 27th, 2015, 12:47 PM
Nape curls!
http://i1247.photobucket.com/albums/gg632/neko_kawaii_hair/_DSC5998.jpg

You wouldn't think I had a couple curls hiding out under there.
http://i1247.photobucket.com/albums/gg632/neko_kawaii_hair/_DSC9682_zpsb6ec29f8.jpg

Sarahlabyrinth
December 27th, 2015, 02:51 PM
Mimha, I love it! "Mossy nape" indeed ;) how lovely that it is considered so cute and feminine where you live. I don't see how these shorter hairs can be damaged as I do wear a sleep cap every night and I always am extremely gentle with my hair and comb so gently.

Wildcat Diva, your nape curls are so cute, and all of your (everybody's) nape curls;)

I can make these too, my mother calls them kiss curls :) Do ignore the spot on the mirror ; it is not giant dandruff...Thank you all for your help and advice, I do appreciate it :)

http://i1253.photobucket.com/albums/hh582/Sarahlabyrinth/DSCF6857.jpg

http://i1253.photobucket.com/albums/hh582/Sarahlabyrinth/DSCF6848.jpg

Groovy Granny
December 27th, 2015, 02:53 PM
Mimha, I love it! "Mossy nape" indeed ;) how lovely that it is considered so cute and feminine where you live. I don't see how these shorter hairs can be damaged as I do wear a sleep cap every night and I always am extremely gentle with my hair and comb so gently.

Wildcat Diva, your nape curls are so cute, and all of your (everybody's) nape curls;)

I can make these too, my mother calls them kiss curls :) Do ignore the spot on the mirror ; it is not giant dandruff...Thank you all for your help and advice, I do appreciate it :)

They look pretty :thumbsup:
I do that with mine when they don't do it on their own outside of humid weather :)

Sarahlabyrinth
December 27th, 2015, 02:57 PM
They look pretty :thumbsup:
I do that with mine when they don't do it on their own outside of humid weather :)

To be honest, I never bother... Maybe I should because they are pretty and it only takes a minute to wind them around my finger, after all.

copperlites
December 27th, 2015, 03:12 PM
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=19836&d=1447591661
Yep. I've got these on my nape too and all around the perimeter too. Mine tend to be like yours at the nape and stick out at the sides unless I tame with product and or twirl into little curls as others have suggested. I wish I didn't have the. But I'm trying to learn to deal,with them. Aloe Vera gel followed by a tiny amount of coconut or castor oil helps slick them into up dos.

Sarahlabyrinth
December 27th, 2015, 03:18 PM
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=19836&d=1447591661
Yep. I've got these on my nape too and all around the perimeter too. Mine tend to be like yours at the nape and stick out at the sides unless I tame with product and or twirl into little curls as others have suggested. I wish I didn't have the. But I'm trying to learn to deal,with them. Aloe Vera gel followed by a tiny amount of coconut or castor oil helps slick them into up dos.

I will try your suggestion too, Copperlites. Those "odd" hairs sure can be "odd" at times ;)

Groovy Granny
December 27th, 2015, 03:46 PM
To be honest, I never bother... Maybe I should because they are pretty and it only takes a minute to wind them around my finger, after all.

Did you use a gel?

In Summer they do it by themselves in my nape, but in dry weather I must moisten them...and they don't always stay.

Groovy Granny
December 27th, 2015, 03:47 PM

Did you use a gel...or oil?

In Summer they do it by themselves in my nape, but in dry weather I must moisten them...and they don't always stay.

Sarahlabyrinth
December 27th, 2015, 03:53 PM
I just used some AV gel. I wonder if I should use that or oil?

When I was young my mother would make these on me using saliva. Inside I would be cringing and saying "Aaaaargh, NOOO!!!!" If I had said it aloud I would have got a cuff over the ears :(

Groovy Granny
December 27th, 2015, 03:58 PM
I just used some AV gel. I wonder if I should use that or oil?

When I was young my mother would make these on me using saliva. Inside I would be cringing and saying "Aaaaargh, NOOO!!!!" If I had said it aloud I would have got a cuff over the ears :(

ROFLOL......my Mother did the same thing; now I use water (not my spit) cuz my hair curls easily with moisture :laugh:

I use a wee bit of AV too (try to use it up for burns, dry skin.....my wurls hate it on damp hair :p); I actually only use oil when I choose to smooth it out.... along with a BBB.

sumidha
December 27th, 2015, 04:22 PM
Yup, I have those. I don't think they'll ever be as long as the rest of my hair, but they are (on me) more fragile and prone to tangling/breakage/splitting than the rest. What has helped me grow them out somewhat is a silk pillowcase, oiling them before i detangle and not wearing a lot of high updos. I wore a high bun for work every day for several years and they really suffered.

Hairkay
December 27th, 2015, 05:52 PM
They're curls and they do look cute emphasised. My whole head of hair is much curlier. I have little Os and Ss at the very back right at the nape and at the sides of my neck. The rest goes into my plaits/braids/pony tail. Go for it, twirl them.

stelz
December 27th, 2015, 07:49 PM
Well, I don't usually wear my hair up in such a high updo as to be able to see them like this. But there does always seem to be some hairs extra curly/wavy around the nape area. So maybe they have always been there. But do they look abnormal? Or what? (puzzled)

Of course not! It's a normal variation. Kind of like one of your curly-haired ancestors saying "Hi! I'm here, too."
It looks fine for a casual updo. I've seen it before. And would probably see it a lot more often if more people wore long hair in an updo.

Sarahlabyrinth
December 27th, 2015, 08:12 PM
Of course not! It's a normal variation. Kind of like one of your curly-haired ancestors saying "Hi! I'm here, too."
It looks fine for a casual updo. I've seen it before. And would probably see it a lot more often if more people wore long hair in an updo.

Phew! I'm glad to hear it doesn't look odd... you have put my mind at rest, stelz. I was wondering and worrying about how half of my hair can be so different from the rest, and worrying that it must be damage. But it doesn't have to mean it's damaged... thank you :)

stelz
December 27th, 2015, 08:26 PM
No problem. They look perfectly healthy. :)

RavenRose
December 27th, 2015, 09:43 PM
I've got a bunch of nape whispies also, but none of mine curl... =(