PDA

View Full Version : Hair care routine for tropical climate?

khryz
December 25th, 2015, 09:13 PM
Hello all, I know that most of you are in cooler climates, with alternating summer and winter seasons. I live in Singapore where the weather is hot and humid. Towards the end of the year we get more rainfall with slightly cooler temperatures, but nothing drastic enough to yield a change in haircare routine I think.

I used to wash my hair daily when I was out a lot and constantly sweating, and it seems the norm to do so here anyway. Right now I'm going about 2-3 days without washing, which seems like a better idea. My hair has gone through some chemical treatments, and my ends are still dry. Not sure if it's a protein or moisture problem.

For now it's just poo + conditioner, and a weekly DT.

What are some of your summer time hair care routines? Do you take extra steps to protect your hair from the summer heat? Do you switch products or DTs depending on the season?

TIA!

HollyLindsey
December 25th, 2015, 10:56 PM
When I was in Thailand for a month I just used soap to wash my hair. I wish I took some extra effort to protect my hair from the sun though. I plan on returning to the tropics soon, so I will keep an eye on this thread! :)

Hairkay
December 26th, 2015, 02:39 AM
When I lived in the tropics all I did was water wash daily with a weekly shampoo/shampoo substitute on weekends and the damp hair got oiled with coconut oil/coconut oil conditioner and sometimes a little vaseline.

Now I water wash daily with conditioning treatments on the weekends. I'll alternate conditioning treatments, one weekend it's moisturising with banana/mango etc next weekend its a mild protein one with coconut milk/yoghurt and fenugreek. I still oil my damp hair mostly the ends of the hair with coconut oil then layer a little almond oil to seal it.

stelz
December 26th, 2015, 03:14 AM
I'm in central Texas, and while we do get a few freezes every winter, the "spring", summer, and "fall" are ALL basically summer and very humid. I do wash every day, hair needs a lot of moisture. Condition every wash, and always a tiny bit of oil on at least the bottom few inches afterwards. Skipping washes actually dries my hair out and causes breakage.

khryz
December 26th, 2015, 04:25 AM
When I lived in the tropics all I did was water wash daily with a weekly shampoo/shampoo substitute on weekends and the damp hair got oiled with coconut oil/coconut oil conditioner and sometimes a little vaseline.

Now I water wash daily with conditioning treatments on the weekends. I'll alternate conditioning treatments, one weekend it's moisturising with banana/mango etc next weekend its a mild protein one with coconut milk/yoghurt and fenugreek. I still oil my damp hair mostly the ends of the hair with coconut oil then layer a little almond oil to seal it.

I've never thought of using Vaseline. How much do you usually apply?

khryz
December 26th, 2015, 04:26 AM
I'm in central Texas, and while we do get a few freezes every winter, the "spring", summer, and "fall" are ALL basically summer and very humid. I do wash every day, hair needs a lot of moisture. Condition every wash, and always a tiny bit of oil on at least the bottom few inches afterwards. Skipping washes actually dries my hair out and causes breakage.

I thought it was better not to wash daily as that would strip the hair of its oils. Do you shampoo daily too?

lapushka
December 26th, 2015, 05:24 AM
I thought it was better not to wash daily as that would strip the hair of its oils. Do you shampoo daily too?

It is better not to wash daily, if your scalp can handle it. :)

Hairkay
December 26th, 2015, 06:14 AM
I've never thought of using Vaseline. How much do you usually apply?

A little but I don't use it now since I consider it too thick.

Ve
December 26th, 2015, 09:19 AM
As I sit here sweating in hot topical Costa Rica where I have been living for 2 years now, I can't say I have found the ultimate routine but some of my things I have found slightly working are.

Lapushka's routine works for me. I tried CO washing and WO because I am always sweating on the scalp but it just doesn't clean as well and I get itchy but only scalp wash, I put hair in a loose ponytail and hold it away. I dilute my shampoo 10 - 1 parts. I love the OGX products for gentleness and moisture using Argan Oil of Morocco, they have many moisturizing shampoos especially Kukiu ?? oil made especially for topical climate, just they don't have it here.

I use Olive Oil for Rinse out and just double condition with the same brand conditioner.

And Flax Seed Gel with some olive oil mixed in has been a great sealer to hold that moisture for a few days. When I go to the beach or pre poo sometimes I coat my hair with shea butter works best for me and has helped control the frizz these climates create

I have been getting away with washing every three days but it has made a big difference for my ends to tuck them into a bun. Wearing my hair up has been important to softness on my ends.

This isn't my Holy Grail but I am working on it. Recently tried Pantene Ice Shine (called Brillo de Extremo here) but it's so funny I actually found it drying for CO wash and conditioner so that will be my 2nd conditioner now because man it really does make your hair shine.

A lot of people would just have oily hair with what I do but my hair just drinks it up. For example day before yesterday I coated hair with shea butter went to the beach did not stick head in water, came home only scalp wash so shea butter on length, conditioned left it on, then flax seed gel with olive oil, then put on 2tablespoons more of olive oil and yesterday it was a little silky, but today it is all gone - where I haven't got a clue. Anyone else like this???

lapushka
December 26th, 2015, 09:21 AM
A lot of people would just have oily hair with what I do but my hair just drinks it up. For example day before yesterday I coated hair with shea butter went to the beach did not stick head in water, came home only scalp wash so shea butter on length, conditioned left it on, then flax seed gel with olive oil, then put on 2tablespoons more of olive oil and yesterday it was a little silky, but today it is all gone - where I haven't got a clue. Anyone else like this???

Yes, my lengths just *eat* moisture. I'm not in a tropical climate, though... :)

Hairkay
December 26th, 2015, 10:58 AM
Yes, my lengths just *eat* moisture. I'm not in a tropical climate, though... :)

Mine can take a lot too. I oil it every day.

Ve
December 26th, 2015, 11:35 AM
I would love to see a photo of your hair sometime, sounds like we have similar hair types.

Wildcat Diva
December 26th, 2015, 01:30 PM
I'm late to this party. South Texas: hot, humid, on the coast of the Gulf of Mexico. I try to wash twice a week, once may be Conditioner only. I don't worry about sweat, it doesn't bother me and I don't think my hair smells this way from sweat or anything. I use a leave in conditioner. Add coconut oil at least once a week when I feel like it. I wear my hair up a lot. Seems a solid routine.

lapushka
December 26th, 2015, 01:51 PM
I would love to see a photo of your hair sometime, sounds like we have similar hair types.

I posted my hair in several threads already. This should work:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=26450&p=3111796&viewfull=1#post3111796

meteor
December 26th, 2015, 02:18 PM
I know different hair reacts differently to different climates, so it can be pretty YMMV in terms of climate adjustment...
For example, some people notice more frizz in humid environments, and that makes sense. (Sealing with oil/serum or using LOC/G and other occlusive-rich routines can help with that.)
My hair actually really likes high humidity and gets silky and bouncy without any real conditioning, when I visit tropical countries. The only downside is that my scalp tends to sweat more in hot climate, so I feel the need to wash hair more frequently there.

Beborani
December 26th, 2015, 05:57 PM
I see you have straight hair. While adding mineral oil seems to be popular here on lhc the only time I like it on my hair with curly girl routine is when I am in the tropics. Lots of people living in tropics have awesome hair--so it is really a matter of finding what works for yours.

SwanFeathers
December 26th, 2015, 06:20 PM
I live in south florida. oiling with coconut oil and stretching washes out seems to help alot. Most I wash a week is twice and only then if I put hairspray in for church.
It changed my hair from a poufy frizzy mess to softly manageable and distictly wavy

Crystawni
December 26th, 2015, 06:46 PM
I live in the monsoonal tropics of Far North Queensland (Australia), where we have two seasons--wet and dry, and find less is more. My hair is wavy virgin, fine and soft, and oils, humectants (more moisture? :bigeyes:) and heavy moisturisers just overload it. Slipsville? Oh, yeah. An occasional SMT brings it back to ultra baby soft, although waveless, with no hope of updos for a few days. :p I often find just shampooing my scalp is enough every few days, although CWC is my fave routine. The frizz always plays up as my hair air dries, but turns to mostly sleek by the next day, especially if I sleep in a silk cap. If I want to cool down (after working out, going out in the heat, etc.), I wet my hair in a cold shower between wash days. I find if I'm using any oils, it will be coconut oil (mostly in liquid state here) on the lengths pre-poo, and Argan oil if/when needed to tame things in the end zone (plus it smells divine). I used to use the ROO method (rinse out baby oil between s/poo and condish) at my previous location (sub-tropical), but find it just coats my hair now with no benefit. The products I use, and my routine are in my profile if you want to know the details. :)

khryz
December 27th, 2015, 08:09 AM
Wow it's interesting to see the different methods here! Thanks everyone! I found that adding too much coconut oil made my ends really stiff, and it doesn't seem to be helping much with retaining moisture on damp hair. I love my shampoo + conditioner so I don't think that's going to change anytime. I guess now it's a matter of buffing up on proteins on my bleached ends, and finding something that helps to seal in moisture. I've seen people use sesame oil and I love its texture and fragrance, but I'd smell of Chinese cooking and may draw confused looks. lol

Products with argan oil seemed to have worked for me, so I may switch to pure argan oil on my ends.

Wondering, is there anyway, I could maybe... brush/spread the grease on the top on my hair down to the ends? lol.

luxurioushair
December 27th, 2015, 08:28 AM
I'm in a tropical climate, but I don't take any "extra" precautions to protect my hair. I just moisturize my hair as usual. If the weather's scorching I wet my hair maybe twice for the day. The reason I can't really give you advice is, my hair sucks up water, oil, everything. But yours may not do that, and if you put all this stuff in your hair daily like I do, your scalp and hair might just be really greasy, and you'll hate it.

One thing you can probably do is rinse your hair out thoroughly every morning? That way you're not washing it everyday, and you're also giving it some moisture before the sun hits it.

Mine can take a lot too. I oil it every day.
:beerchug:

pailin
December 27th, 2015, 08:47 AM
I'm in a warm climate too, but I think you've already gotten the important point- the appropriate routine really depends upon the person. The only clear difference is that you'll probably need less heavy moisturizing than you would in a northern climate in the winter.
Now, your question about spreading the grease on down- you might try a boar bristle brush. I don't use one, but there should be threads about it around here somewhere, or someone else will come along who uses one. Some people absolutely love them, and I think that is a big part of what they use them for.

pailin
December 27th, 2015, 08:50 AM
By the way, I think there are types of sesame oil that don't have the strong smell/ flavor, but I suspect you won't find them in the food store.
And proteins for your bleached ends are probably worth trying. You can buy treatments, or you can make it DIY from gelatin powder.

jocelyn anne
January 21st, 2016, 04:20 AM
When I went to o Singapore before, I needed to change my routine too. My hair is dry and oily most of the time. I needed to wash my hair with cold water.

AmberJewel
January 21st, 2016, 08:40 AM
I lived in a tropical climate for several years and I found that washing with cold water worked wonders for me. Not to mention that it felt good if I was hot and sweaty. :) A BBB helped my scalp and made it so I didn't have to wash as often. Other than that, just make sure your hair is moisturized enough, wear it up when going out, keep it covered if possible, and I liked to use a cloth headband to keep down the frizzies around my face.
Hope that helps!

Sarahlabyrinth
January 21st, 2016, 01:29 PM
When I lived in the tropics I would shampoo and condition my hair once a week and it lived up in a bun every day. That was it.