PDA

View Full Version : Hair is too soft!

hessica_15
December 24th, 2015, 08:57 PM
Is it possible to make hair less soft?! I know this sounds a little absurd. My hair is so very thin and fine it can't hold a hair style or even a ponytail! Any ideas on how to thicken up or make the individual strands more rough and manageable?

AutobotsAttack
December 24th, 2015, 09:08 PM
a would suggest maybe doing a good protein treatment? Aphogee has a good line. but if you have finer hair like me, using a lighter protein deep conditioner will work. Just try looking around, i forget the specific names of them (sorry), but it sounds like you might have a moisture overload issue. This happens to me quite a bit too. Just need a good protein treatment. If anything you can just mix an egg, 1/2 cup of milk, and some conditioner to thicken it up, and voila! you have a good mild protein deep conditioner. It only lasts a week or two depending on your hair type, but it works for me and its very very very cheap. Hope this helps.

yahirwaO.o
December 24th, 2015, 10:40 PM
Your hair sounds a lot like mine, I only have two suggestions.

1) French or Dutch braid your hair when damp, it gives texture and grip to pretty much any up style afterwards.

2)Good old hairspray. I avoided for the longest time using any hair product because I thought they would cause dryness or breakage. I got my cheap flexible one and my hair is far more manageable and not crazy slippery.

For thickening the cuticle and making it rough (be aware its damaging) you can simply dye your hair (chemical or henna) or even a small bleach job, some people like it and does give some fluff.

I don't even use conditoner that often so you get the idea how soft my natural virgin hair is naturally, but first two tips have made it all easier for me.

Arctic
December 25th, 2015, 02:45 AM
On men's hair loss forums I've often seen that people use dandruff shampoos for their slight strand thickening effect (but also, in addition to that, because on some people they slow down the hair loss or something). There has even been a scientific study about how much some popular active ingredients of dandruff shampoos thicken the hair strands, you can probably find it with google. IIRC piroctone olamine was an ingredient that thickened the strands the most. Ofcourse it is all very small scale, but might be something you could notice yourself.

Other than that, favouring volumizing products rather than moisturizing, perhaps as was suggested trying some protein treatments (but watch out, not all hair likes protein - if yours is one of them, you can reverse the effects by intensive moisturizing regime). Maybe start with something lighter like protein shampoo and conditioner instead of hard core masks.

Some people say rinses like vinegar or some tea make their hair a bit more stiff (which could translate to more voluminous - note vinegar is a YMMV thing, on some hair it makes it more "limp" and oily looking temporarily). Styling products might help too.

Henna or cassia or other herbal masks, but be aware that henna has orange, strong and rather permanent colour stain.

lapushka
December 25th, 2015, 03:34 AM
Any idea on how thick/thin your hair is (i ii or iii)? Because it all depends. If it is i and really that baby fine hair, I don't think there's much you honestly *can* do that wouldn't ruin it.

Dry shampoo could give it some volume & texture. Maybe try that route.

elvenelk
December 25th, 2015, 04:03 AM
i hear favourable reviews on caffeine based shampoos. also you could try a spritz of salt water when you are styling. it makes hair more tacky

Beatrixity
December 25th, 2015, 11:53 AM
Try washing with amla. It sure makes my hair feel thicker and more coarse. If it feels too rough rub in a drop or two of sesame oil. Hope this helps!

Anje
December 25th, 2015, 04:50 PM
I agree with the suggestion to try a protein treatment, but have some variety of moisture treatment (SMT is good) on hand. If your hair comes out too rough or stiff after the protein, the moisture will help bring it back to balance.

Edit: dyeing and salt risk some damage to your hair to make it less soft. I'd hold off on such things for the time being, personally.

meteor
December 25th, 2015, 05:01 PM
A few products/ingredients to make hair less slippery:

- hydrolyzed proteins (e.g. protein shampoos, conditioners, deep treatments or just a light version of a DIY gelatin mask); go for products marketed for volumizing fine hair;
- cassia or henna;
- many herbal rinses/masks (e.g. green/black tea rinses);
- panthenol (pro-vitamin B5);
- dry shampoos and hair powders;
- mousses, gels, hair sprays, texturizing sprays and other products for hold and/or texture (PVP/PVA fixatives);
- products with "sol gel" technology (more on this here: http://thebeautybrains.com/2015/04/do-loreal-products-really-thicken-hair/).

Techniques:
- Try doing curls/waves overnight, by damp-setting your hair in braids/buns/rollers, etc - this will create some texture and help with grip.
- Try French/Dutch/lace-braiding along the scalp, or twisting some strands or otherwise creating texture and grip in strategic areas along your scalp: this will help hairstyles stay in better.
- Try using a bit of hair spray on your U-pins or bobby-pins, this can help with grip a bit and use a bit of hair powder/dry shampoo/hairspray on roots before doing your hairstyles, if needed.

HTH! :flower:

Nadine <3
December 25th, 2015, 07:47 PM
Dry shampoo! I personally use corn starch, but it gives lots of volume, body and grip.

lapushka
December 26th, 2015, 03:45 AM
Techniques:
- Try doing curls/waves overnight, by damp-setting your hair in braids/buns/rollers, etc - this will create some texture and help with grip.

My mom is i, barely i/ii and washes, then puts her hair in curlers until dry. It boosts her volume *amazingly* well, and it lasts forever, well, until the next time you wash, but my mom has dry hair so she can go a *long* time (a month) - and they last like no other.

Sweets
January 5th, 2016, 11:20 PM
Dry shampoo, or if you hair is brown, cocoa powder!

jera
January 6th, 2016, 01:55 AM
i hear favourable reviews on caffeine based shampoos. also you could try a spritz of salt water when you are styling. it makes hair more tacky

I've never tried caffeine shampoos but salt water (beach head hair) would give your hair more texture. I'd second trying amla.