PDA

View Full Version : hair growth stalls

jojo
October 12th, 2008, 05:29 AM
Hi all fellow hair growers!

Well my dilemma as you probably all know by now:D is my hair is going through a stall. I have it up all the time and haven't measured for a month or so, therefore it could have grown but im not checking until the beginning of December.

What I am after with this post is all you guys experiences of stalls, so if you could be kind enough to answer the following;

How long did they last?

Did you have a massive growth spurt after the stall?

Do you have growth stalls the same time each year?

Please share your experiences with me. TIA xx:)

jojo
October 12th, 2008, 07:29 AM
just to add i have checked my diary and my hair has not grown since April this is so discouraging why is this? anybody?

Blondielocks
October 12th, 2008, 08:22 AM
Could it be breakage? or stress perhaps? Ive had a growth slowdown due to stress of my fiance dying in car crash. hang in there.

jojo
October 12th, 2008, 09:02 AM
Could it be breakage? or stress perhaps? Ive had a growth slowdown due to stress of my fiance dying in car crash. hang in there.

theres no breakage whatsoever in fact id be hard pushed to find a split end, but yes i have been through a very stressful period since March so this may be why, thankfully this is now over so I should see some changes soon hopefully.

Thank you xxx

HairColoredHair
October 12th, 2008, 10:16 AM
How long did they last?
Just a few months - six months for this last one.

Define massive? No, no really, I suppose. I was just happy it was growing! :D

Do you have growth stalls the same time each year
Nope!

30isthenewblack
October 14th, 2008, 08:24 PM

Off topic - I'm sorry to hear of your loss Blondielocks. Welcome to the LHC.

MermaidGirl
October 14th, 2008, 08:29 PM

Off topic - I'm sorry to hear of your loss Blondielocks. Welcome to the LHC.

Oh my goodness! Blondielocks, that is so sad to hear about your fiance! I am sorry for your loss. :(

BBGrrl
October 17th, 2008, 04:45 PM
I stalled at BSL for 3 months and again at hip for a year. When I started growing again it was back to it's normanl rate, no more. I don't have a stall each year but I never grow as much during the summer as I do the rest of the year.

Oh and neither of those were breakage most deffinatly stalls. I actually thought I hit terminal for a while. I am so happy to be growing again.

DeeM
October 18th, 2008, 03:46 AM
I'm so sorry to hear about your fiance Blondielocks.

My hair appears to have stopped growing for quite a few months now, hopefully it's just a phase it's going through.
Until recently, I hadn't taken that much notice of how much it was growing, I just had long hair and that was that, but now I'm watching it, it's like the proverb.......a watched kettle never boils! :rolleyes:

peachy.pudding
October 19th, 2008, 11:42 AM
How long did they last?
I have been growing my hair for three years and i noticed a growth stall on the third year of growing, it lasted two months and i was quite annoyed.

No i didnt have a growth spurt, i lost a whole inch of growth in the year.

I have only had one growth stall in three years. I guess the length has to catch up. I have not had long hair fo years and years so i guess my hair paused when it hit a point where it had not gone for years, but it happily grew after that.

Growth stalls are no bad thing unless they happen yearly and you lose a good inch or two, if this is your first stall it may not mean youll have another for some time.

freznow
October 19th, 2008, 11:54 AM
How long did they last?
2-3 months

In this case, yes. Last time, not so much, but the stall was a bit shorter (I think only 1-2 months)

I'm not really sure. Last time was at tailbone, this time at classic. Those are approximately a year's growth apart - so it's likely, but I don't pay much attention to that stuff. When I notice it's stalling, I tend to try to forget about it because it's frustrating.

mew
October 19th, 2008, 02:28 PM
Is the stall/start maybe due to some hairs reaching their terminal length..and then others "overtaking", if you see what i mean?
BTW good to hear that it happens to most people, I think otherwise i would have assumed i reached terminal if it happened to me (not yet thankfully, even though it seems to have slowed down for winter ;P )

jojo
October 21st, 2008, 03:54 PM
Thats strange you should say that as I have noticed my sides are still growing and my layers in the back are catching up with the length, so maybe this is what is going on.

I can't wait to measure in December.

NotOfThisWorld
October 21st, 2008, 11:00 PM
My hair seems to stall at this waist-tailbone 36 inch length thing. :P I barely barely trim it to keep it from looking scraggly about every 6 mo - 1 year... (like 1/4 in - 1 in)... I think this is it's happy length. It doesn't look scraggly, but it doesn't seem to be eager to grow longer.

Wusel
April 24th, 2016, 02:47 PM
PUSH!
Interesting topic.
I had a growth stall in February and March. After 17 months of growing out...
Now it grows again on Hairfinity...
I'd like to know why it is so.
Nothing changed, I had no stress, very healthy ends, good diet, good health... so: WHY?

lapushka
April 24th, 2016, 03:00 PM
Sometimes stalls just happen, no reason. Could be an indicator that something's up with your health, or scalp, but if that's all A-OK, then... I would think nothing of it. Plenty of people, including me, went through stalls.

Sarahlabyrinth
April 24th, 2016, 04:15 PM
I've had stalls of a month or two where my hair stops growing. I'm not sure why. I don't worry too much, it always starts growing again :)

Annalouise
December 7th, 2016, 06:09 AM
How long did the stall last? 5 months
Did I have a growth spurt after the stall? No.
Do I have stalls at the same time each year? No, this was the first time I ever had a growth stall. There is no such thing as "seasonal" hair anything, sorry. We are not trees. :D

I don't know what caused the stall, but if I was a betting person, and I made a bet, I would put my money on the shampoo & conditioner inhibiting my hair growth. I was using a new product and I was using it consistently throughout that time period.

Dee94
January 28th, 2019, 03:46 PM
What's the longest hair could stall for? Or is that something where it's just random and could be as long as it wants? Does being pregnant make the hair stall sometimes? Or maybe after, I know hair can get all crazy while being and after pregnancy, but, I always wondered if it stalled hair or hair just falls out?
I've only learnt about stalls not too long ago.

kattmara
January 29th, 2019, 04:40 AM
Do I have stalls at the same time each year? No, this was the first time I ever had a growth stall. There is no such thing as "seasonal" hair anything, sorry. We are not trees. :D

We are not trees so we are not necessarily affected by seasons but if you live in an area with dark winters you might get vitamin-D deficiency and a lot of people tend to move/do physical activity a lot less during the cold months as well as eat worse (comfort foods) and all these things can affect hair growth. Mechanical damage from hats and scarfs or thick coats in combination with cold temperatures and dry air might result in breaking, which is not really stalling but it can slow your process down especially if you want to cut it more often to keep the ends nice.

Begemot
January 29th, 2019, 05:06 AM
We are not trees so we are not necessarily affected by seasons but if you live in an area with dark winters you might get vitamin-D deficiency and a lot of people tend to move/do physical activity a lot less during the cold months as well as eat worse (comfort foods) and all these things can affect hair growth. Mechanical damage from hats and scarfs or thick coats in combination with cold temperatures and dry air might result in breaking, which is not really stalling but it can slow your process down especially if you want to cut it more often to keep the ends nice.

That's what we get for living in the north :cool: I take vitamin D supplement but I must confess I tend to eat more comfort foods (ahem, hot chocolate and cinnamon rolls today) and hide inside more since it's such cold weather and has been for months. I'm hibernating. I haven't noticed any stalls myself but I haven't measured my hair regularly either. Need to keep an eye on that.

lapushka
January 29th, 2019, 05:19 AM
What's the longest hair could stall for? Or is that something where it's just random and could be as long as it wants? Does being pregnant make the hair stall sometimes? Or maybe after, I know hair can get all crazy while being and after pregnancy, but, I always wondered if it stalled hair or hair just falls out?
I've only learnt about stalls not too long ago.

I think it was... trolleypup who had a massive stall on here. Please correct me if I'm wrong! And sorry for mentioning you if you did not want to be mentioned. ;) But I think he stayed the same length for quite a while, even more than a year as I recall, but then it up and suddenly started growing again.

That is the most "extreme" example I ever came across.

I have stalled a few months, a few years ago. But that's it. Before that I just didn't bother looking at my growth that much. I don't much now either. I just set milestones and see if I hit them at the end of the year. If not, there may have been a stall somewhere, but I'm not that much on top of it. I don't think that's healthy (for me personally).

Dark40
January 30th, 2019, 07:35 PM
My growth stall only lasted for a couple of months. Then, my hair is going through a growth spurt right now! It's now growing really fast again!!! I'm very excited about it. Well, this is my first growth stall. So, I'm not sure if it happens during the same time of the year.

MusicalSpoons
February 2nd, 2019, 06:21 AM
I think it was... trolleypup who had a massive stall on here. Please correct me if I'm wrong! And sorry for mentioning you if you did not want to be mentioned. ;) But I think he stayed the same length for quite a while, even more than a year as I recall, but then it up and suddenly started growing again.

That is the most "extreme" example I ever came across.

I have stalled a few months, a few years ago. But that's it. Before that I just didn't bother looking at my growth that much. I don't much now either. I just set milestones and see if I hit them at the end of the year. If not, there may have been a stall somewhere, but I'm not that much on top of it. I don't think that's healthy (for me personally).

I seem to recall one of the other mods thought she'd reached terminal for a few years then suddenly found her hair had grown a few inches (can't remember exactly who, though, might have been Chromis?). I have also heard of someone stalling at what they thought was terminal for over 10 years then having a growth spurt, but that was a second-hand report and would take a huge amount of digging to find and verify! From what I've heard around the forum, I think stalls at lengths that could plausibly be terminal seem to be more common and last longer than stalls at shorter/'still definitely growing' lengths.

lapushka
February 2nd, 2019, 07:42 AM
I seem to recall one of the other mods thought she'd reached terminal for a few years then suddenly found her hair had grown a few inches (can't remember exactly who, though, might have been Chromis?). I have also heard of someone stalling at what they thought was terminal for over 10 years then having a growth spurt, but that was a second-hand report and would take a huge amount of digging to find and verify! From what I've heard around the forum, I think stalls at lengths that could plausibly be terminal seem to be more common and last longer than stalls at shorter/'still definitely growing' lengths.

The 10 year stall, was trolleypup, I think. ;) Maybe we could ask him ourselves, heeeey trolleypup? Wooohooo, we're over here. :p

MusicalSpoons
February 2nd, 2019, 08:27 AM
The 10 year stall, was trolleypup, I think. ;) Maybe we could ask him ourselves, heeeey trolleypup? Wooohooo, we're over here. :p

Oh! Haha, I didn't read/understand your post properly and thought you meant the stall lasted longer than a year but not more than 2 - oops :doh: :lol:

Zelle
February 3rd, 2019, 02:17 PM
I hit a stall last may; it lasted for about four months, but afterwars it grew like crazy! My hair usually grows 1 centimeter per month, but since october it's been steadily growing around 1.5 centimeters!