PDA

View Full Version : What shampoo do you use for SD??

italiancouture7
December 21st, 2015, 12:38 PM
For those of you with seborrhoeic dermatitis, any good shampoo recommendations?? I've tried them all I swear!! lol.. The actual SD shampoos don't work for me and they dry my hair out like crazy, so I can't use those unfortunately.

I was using this:

http://www.amazon.com/Adovia-Moisturizing-Shampoo-Appearance-Dandruff/dp/B00JJVG6HC/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1450726393&sr=8-5&keywords=adovia

It was working decently for 2 months, but as always, my scalp seems to readjust and get used to it, so it stops working.

So now I need to move onto the next :/

Nadine <3
December 21st, 2015, 12:52 PM
I use Nizoral when I'm having a flare up. Works wonders for me.

italiancouture7
December 21st, 2015, 12:54 PM
I use Nizoral when I'm having a flare up. Works wonders for me.

It makes my scalp itchier :( .. I don't know why??

Swan Maiden
December 21st, 2015, 01:00 PM
I like to rinse my scalp with sea salt water. Unlike many, my hair tolerates salt water well. Salt kills yeast, it may be a temporary fix for the sd but it is economical and it calms it down. I've tried using medicated shampoos and they dry my scalp and hair out terribly.

lapushka
December 21st, 2015, 01:12 PM
It makes my scalp itchier :( .. I don't know why??

How are you using it? Do you leave it in for 5 min. like you're supposed to?
I use Nizoral too, BTW. Works like a charm for me!

littlestarface
December 21st, 2015, 01:19 PM
My son has it bad n the dermatologist gave him prescription nizoral which is only 2% of the active ingredient in the over the shelf stuff and it works pretty good for him.

Arctic
December 21st, 2015, 01:19 PM
I'm not officially diagnozed, but am suspecting I have this. My scalp likes an active ingredient called piroctone olamine, it calms my scalp and my skin doesn't seem to build a resistanse to it. A shampoo containing this ingredient literally changed my life (Finnish XZ brand) - too bad it also has proteins, of which my hair doesn't like, so it's a constant balansing.

Nadine <3
December 21st, 2015, 01:46 PM
Have you seen a doctor and had it diagnosed? Could be possible that you don't have SD and need something else.

lapushka
December 21st, 2015, 02:10 PM
Have you seen a doctor and had it diagnosed? Could be possible that you don't have SD and need something else.

Good point! :)

TR
December 21st, 2015, 02:51 PM
My SD responds to salicylic acid. Neutrogena T-Sal and Selsun Blue Naturals have salicylic acid. Both work to control my SD but I prefer Selsun Blue Naturals because I like the smell. T-Sal is unscented. I've tried all the other OTC dandruff/SD shampoos but none improved it at all and some actually made it worse. Many people need to cycle through active ingredients because one stops working after a while.

Obsidian
December 21st, 2015, 03:21 PM
I use a prescription shampoo for flares, its a selenium sulfide shampoo 2.5%. Smells like rotten perm solution but I only have to use it once a week when flaring. Otherwise I have to use sulfate free shampoo with a bi-weekly clarifying treatment. NO conditioner or oil on the scalp and always rinse with diluted acv.

italiancouture7
December 21st, 2015, 04:06 PM
How are you using it? Do you leave it in for 5 min. like you're supposed to?
I use Nizoral too, BTW. Works like a charm for me!

Yeah, I follow the directions on the bottle. I've tried leaving it on for longer and shorter periods but it always causing the intense itching. It dries my scalp and hair out so bad.

italiancouture7
December 21st, 2015, 04:11 PM

Yep! That's how I found out I have it, I was referred to a Dermatologist. I tried the prescription shampoo (the pink stuff) and it turned my hair into a literal rats nest. It was so bad I couldn't get it combed out after trying for an hour. I definitely have SD, I had it under control for a while too.
I know a lot of people who don't respond well to the prescription shampoos or Nizoral, which is just a weaker version.

italiancouture7
December 21st, 2015, 04:15 PM
My SD responds to salicylic acid. Neutrogena T-Sal and Selsun Blue Naturals have salicylic acid. Both work to control my SD but I prefer Selsun Blue Naturals because I like the smell. T-Sal is unscented. I've tried all the other OTC dandruff/SD shampoos but none improved it at all and some actually made it worse. Many people need to cycle through active ingredients because one stops working after a while.

Yes! That seems to be my issue, something will work for a few months and then stop. It's like my scalp gets used to it. It is sooo frustrating. I've tried T-Sal and even coal tar shampoo. The coal tar was horrible, I smelled like gasoline and I was afraid it would have an adverse reaction on my health, plus I don't think it even helped. ACV rinses tear my scalp up. TTO helped some but not completely. I have noticed that SLS is a HUGE no no for me, every time I try a new shampoo that has it, my scalp breaks out really badly in the SD pimples and scales.

turtlelover
December 21st, 2015, 05:25 PM
I've been having some luck lately mixing about 6 drops of tea tree oil into whatever shampoo I'm using that day, and then leaving it sit on my scalp for like 5 min. I've also been diluting my shampoo which ironically seems to be helping, since I always in the past have felt like harsh shampoos controlled the SD. Not sure how this will work long term, but so far, so good. It is still an experiment at this stage, but I really, really want to get away from the super harsh shampoos since I'm coloring and they strip so much color. Also, Aussie shampoo and conditioner triggers flares almost immediately. I love what it does to my hair, but my scalp, not so much. Allergy? Who knows.

lapushka
December 22nd, 2015, 06:33 AM
What works for me is harsh sulfate shampoos, so the ones that have both SLS *and* SLES, that is usually Pantene or Herbal Essences. They are among the harshest out there (thank God, for me at least). It works in between flare-ups, so not when my SD is in full swing, then I have to use Nizoral.

Also, the itch if you have it sometimes doesn't go away immediately, you'll have to use it at least a couple times in a row to know for sure.

And whatever's dry on your hair, that is not your scalp, smear tons of conditioner in it or a deep mask (ears down). Shampoo always dries out, that's why I double condition (WCC - link in my signature).

Lemon*
December 22nd, 2015, 12:51 PM
I have psoriasis and it's always been itchy and painful. I tried the Neutrogena T-gel and it just made it itchier and dried out my hair. I've stopped using shampoo and and it's significantly less itchy. I wash with water only and then a dilute Apple Cider Vinegar rinse which calms the scalp and the hair follicle. Just what helps me! Hope you can find something that works!
Also going to the beach always helped my scalp, so the salt water is worth a try!

jazzhands
December 22nd, 2015, 06:11 PM
I've been having some luck lately mixing about 6 drops of tea tree oil into whatever shampoo I'm using that day, and then leaving it sit on my scalp for like 5 min. I've also been diluting my shampoo which ironically seems to be helping, since I always in the past have felt like harsh shampoos controlled the SD. Not sure how this will work long term, but so far, so good. It is still an experiment at this stage, but I really, really want to get away from the super harsh shampoos since I'm coloring and they strip so much color. Also, Aussie shampoo and conditioner triggers flares almost immediately. I love what it does to my hair, but my scalp, not so much. Allergy? Who knows.

Same here, except I use more TTO, about 10-15 drops per 200-250ml. It's been working well so far.

Another thing that kind of works is sulfur shampoo. My dad recommended it to me some weeks ago and it does wonders for my scalp, but unfortunately leaves my hair fairly limp and lifeless at the same time. Himself has a head of thick curly black hair so in retrospect I should've seen it coming.

Smky_Mtn_Echo
December 24th, 2015, 05:02 AM
I'm a big fan of Denorex. I use it weekly and if I'm having a big flare up, I'll use it each wash until my scalp is happy. I let it sit. It seems to dry my hair out less than other shampoos geared for SD. Also, before washing I comb/massage my scalp a good bit to loosen any scales I can.
I've tried Neutrogena, Grandpa's Pine Tar and many others that eventually wouldn't work anymore. Denorex never lets me down.

turtlelover
December 24th, 2015, 11:22 PM
Well, my diluted shampoo w/ tea tree oil experiment ended badly w/ a major flare. Tonight I started a round of Head & Shoulders. I really, REALLY wish there was a good shampoo for SD that wouldn't strip color so much. *sigh*