PDA

View Full Version : Information about Locks of Love being less than honest?

brightonwoman
October 12th, 2008, 02:38 AM
I tried searching the archives here and wasn't able to find anything...
I have heard several times that locks of love sells more hair than they donate, (like 90% gets sold), and also that they don't give to kids with cancer (which is the common belief).
Now according to LOLs own site, they only donate to people with permenant hair loss (like alopacia (sp)). I'm ok with that--cancer patients will be able to grow their hair again and all that... but of course if they are selling most of the hair rather than donating (and keeping a profit) then I'm really bothered by that.
Now I have no desire to cut my own hair, so this wouldn't be a big deal except that a good friend of mine has this long gorgeous thick hair, and she recently told me that she has been planning to give it to LOL even though she loves it. She's a very kind and giving person like that. But if LOL is a sham then I want to let her know so that she can make an informed choice--and hopefully keep her gorgeous hair for herself!!
So, I googled around a bit, but was not able to find anything very helpful...does anyone know where I can get some reliable information about this?

melikai
October 12th, 2008, 02:44 AM
There was an article in the New York Times which gives a lot of illuminating information:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/06/fashion/06locks.html

Periwinkle
October 12th, 2008, 07:26 AM
Post #6 contains some maths done by another member here: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=547&

Blondielocks
October 12th, 2008, 08:55 AM
Ive also never trusted them.

Anje
October 12th, 2008, 09:23 AM
There's a page on Squidoo that also offers similar information to the other links: http://www.squidoo.com/locksoflove

MadHatter
October 12th, 2008, 09:28 AM
I've had the LoL comment: "You could make a lot of people happy by cutting your hair." Whatever. If somebody ever harasses me about my hair, like that one woman in the NYT article was, I'll suggest that they grow out their own hair to donate: "Quit being selfish by trimming your hair!!! Grow it out so you can donate!" I'd much rather donate something that might help save someone's life, like blood.

Blondielocks
October 12th, 2008, 09:48 AM
I've had the LoL comment: "You could make a lot of people happy by cutting your hair." Whatever. If somebody ever harasses me about my hair, like that one woman in the NYT article was, I'll suggest that they grow out their own hair to donate: "Quit being selfish by trimming your hair!!! Grow it out so you can donate!" I'd much rather donate something that might help save someone's life, like blood.

I so agree. vanity is one thing, saving a life is important! there is usually blood shortages in hospitals, and they are desperate for donations!

MadHatter
October 12th, 2008, 09:58 AM
there is usually blood shortages in hospitals, and they are desperate for donations!

It's especially bad in my town. A girl in my Bio Seminar class did a presentation on converting a certain type of blood to the universal donor configuration (O-, I think). In the presentation, she showed a picture of the freezer thing they store the blood in. Looked like only 12 units were in there, and none of it was the type that everyone can really use (the universal one). It's so sad. And to think that people get pressured to cut their hair when blood shortages are so bad makes me ill.
Hmph, I say this, yet I've never donated blood. I intend to schedule an appointment tomorrow, though. It didn't occur to me how important this is until the girl gave her presentation.

Zombiekins
October 12th, 2008, 12:49 PM
Thank you very much for posting those links! I've only gotten the "locks of love comment" one time, and it was from my mother (who doesn't actually want me to cut anyway). She believed (as she'd seen on Oprah) that the donated hair went to wigs for cancer kids. She was genuinely shock (and probably didn't even believe me) when I told her that she could see for herself, on their website, that the wigs go to alopecia children. No less of a cause, but it doesn't have the same ring to it as "cancer kids", so people stick with what's catchy.

I like having some numbers and facts available for future comments about locks of love. It's a same how clueless many people are about the organization that rolls of their tongue in the presence of a woman with longer than average hair.

PseudoScot
October 12th, 2008, 02:26 PM
I so agree. vanity is one thing, saving a life is important! there is usually blood shortages in hospitals, and they are desperate for donations!

I see your point, but some wig charities, even 'evil' LOL do donate to people who have lost hair due to disease.

Assuming that people want wigs just to appease their vanity is, IMHO, quite harsh.

A lot of the people who want wigs don't do it because they are vain. They are dealing with serious diseases, often resulting in hair loss and have every right to want to have a wig, and a good one at that made from human hair if they want. No one should be pressured to donate hair, but those that do want wigs don't necessarily need to be dismissed as being vain. Sheesh.

ETA: This link might help for LOL info (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=547)

Friesiangirl
October 12th, 2008, 04:44 PM
Yes, wanting a wig because you haven't any hair isn't vanity. In fact, when I was a little girl I donated my hair to a great aunt for a wig for Christmas. I saw she always wore hats, little did I know she was going through chemo-therapy. She was so happy to get a wig, and I was a gymnast, what did I care if I had 1'' long hair :) less work!

Now, if it goes to someone's extensions, that's a different story.

I would inform her on the facts, but don't push because of your own opinion. I've made that mistake before, and it can get sticky quickly.

Hayley

brightonwoman
October 12th, 2008, 09:41 PM
Thank you for the links! :happydance::cheer::applause
Another longhair friend hooked me up with some livejournal threads which are helpful too (and half of which linked back here, :cool: ) Anyway, I'll be making a blog post about it this week with lotsa links, so my friend will see it and get all the facts.
I totally agree that if someone wants to cut their hair, then hey, that's their call...and if it's healthy hair, hey, go ahead and donate. But it just makes me sad to see folks who love their long hair feel pressured into donating (or who do it because they are just that kind and self-sacrificing). I know I once planned to donate my beloved hair, and almost felt guilty for wanting to wait until AFTER my wedding (so that I could have long hair in my wedding pics). When I found out more about LoL I was almost relieved. I mean, I wish they were more upright than they are, but I also felt 'off the hook' about donating, you know?
And I sure looooove my long hair. It makes me so happy. I agree with the pp's and I'd rather donate blood (which I have done many times) or my time/talents (which I do often as well).
:cheese:

dancingbarefoot
October 12th, 2008, 11:30 PM
"Quit being selfish by trimming your hair!!! Grow it out so you can donate!" I'd much rather donate something that might help save someone's life, like blood.

No kidding! Blood is much more urgently needed, and can make the difference between life and death, unlike hair.

You can always counter this with "Quit being selfish by keeping your whole liver! Donate half of yours, it'll grow back!" :wink: (The liver is the only organ that does grow back.)

Hmph, I say this, yet I've never donated blood. I intend to schedule an appointment tomorrow, though. It didn't occur to me how important this is until the girl gave her presentation.

That's excellent! :D :applause I'm sure the recipients will appreciate it.

Alun
October 12th, 2008, 11:31 PM
Oddly enough, LoL doesn't seem to make particularly wild claims. It seems to be other people that do this for them. What strikes me is that their sin is failing to disabuse people of what they have heard. They claim they would rather have money donations, but say that donating their hair makes the donors happy, when they are actually asked. So, all I can think is that by keeping quiet they maintain a sort of saintly image that they find useful.

The prevailing rumour that they make all the hair into wigs for cancer patients doesn't appear to come from them, but they do so little in trying to dispel it, in fact nothing.

I doubt that parading the statistics will get you much more than hostility. Perhaps you could offer to donate cash, and say that you have heard they prefer it, and if that doesn't work fall back to suggesting that the person asking you should grow their own hair to donate.

WaimeaWahine
October 13th, 2008, 05:03 AM
I don't know what to believe. There's more about the whole back and forth expose at some place called Radosh.net where the freelance NY Times writer was asked to dig up dirt and then called to apologize to LOL.

I don't know about hair and vanity. That's a touchy subject. There's plenty of hairless folks. I had Anemia for a long time and lost a lot of hair. It wasn't that big a deal compared to when I nearly lost my hand (don't ask).

There's a gorgeous Russian lady with Alopecia who works at a store near me. Who cares about her hair? She's sweet and kind and she could model! When you think about it isn't it all just a vain attempt to make us look more acceptable to other people?

Donation is a personal choice and hopefully people do some research. If someone ever makes the remark to me I'll just tell to mind their own business.

heidi w.
October 13th, 2008, 07:43 AM
First, they throw away up to 60% of the hair!
They've made something around 2000 wigs (as of Sept 2007) in 8 years.
They receive 2-3000 donations EACH week. I've seen partner LoL websites claim as much as 5000 donations a week.

That's the math.

heidi w.

heidi w.
October 13th, 2008, 07:45 AM
The links to the NY TIMES article, on the left area in that article is a companion article that ran with it that outlines some other places to donate hair. If truly interested in wigs for cancer and committed to donating hair the word on the street is that Pantene Beautiful Lengths does a much better job at providing wigs or women with cancer.

heidi w.

dancingbarefoot
October 13th, 2008, 11:35 AM
I just checked the BBB's charity database, and LoL once again fails to meet their standards. In their last review, they did, but now they've gone back to not meeting charitable standards. Surprise, surprise.

PseudoScot
October 13th, 2008, 11:54 AM
I do understand why people might see it as vanity, but when people are dealing with cancer or other serious diseases, they have lost a part of themselves they normally have, if they want that back they have every right.

Chromis
October 13th, 2008, 12:41 PM
I do see your point but when people are dealing with cancer or other serious diseases, they have lost a part of themselves they normally have, if they want that back they have every right.

Really, having done the whole cancer and having no hair bit, I don't see why you'd want to give children human hair wigs anyhow. They are dreadfully hot and itchy and much harder to take care of than synthetics. Sometimes people get so caught up in things being "real" something that they don't always realize that sometimes real is not best.

I don't belittle the cause, however, I feel there are better ways to help be it in giving dignity back or working for a cure. These leeches merely prey on people's sense of wanting to help.

dancingbarefoot
October 13th, 2008, 05:45 PM
I do understand why people might see it as vanity, but when people are dealing with cancer or other serious diseases, they have lost a part of themselves they normally have, if they want that back they have every right.

I don't think that's ever been the issue. No one denies victims of horrible diseases the right to comfort themselves in the ways they choose. The problem is with LoL's apparent manipulation of donor goodwill.

Blondielocks
October 13th, 2008, 08:24 PM
I never said those in need were vain! i said vanity is one thing, saving lives is important-directed at those who make lol comments. there are other things to domate too.

PseudoScot
October 14th, 2008, 10:16 AM
I don't think that's ever been the issue. No one denies victims of horrible diseases the right to comfort themselves in the ways they choose. The problem is with LoL's apparent manipulation of donor goodwill.

I do get the LOL debate, in fact I did offer some info on the whole thing. I was also responding to the comment that desiring a wig was vain as I disagreed.

I find it ironic that on a site dedicated to the growth and maintenance of hair, we question others wanting wigs of real hair. Saving lives always takes precedence of course but that doesn't negate the fact that people will want to feel complete.

dor3girl
October 14th, 2008, 01:19 PM
I am not big fan of LOLove. Too many donations get thrown in the trash (too much taper, damage, not enough length, etc.) Don't get me started. As a former hairdresser, I have issues with them.

yogachic
October 16th, 2008, 06:39 AM
I have a friend who told me she cut her hair for locks of love, apparently she didnt send it to them yet, I told her about locks of love, but I don't know that much about it not being very reputable, she believed me and said she might try to donate to a children's hospital. Can you give me website or page that lists all the negatives about locks of love?
Thanks

dancingbarefoot
October 16th, 2008, 05:13 PM
I find it ironic that on a site dedicated to the growth and maintenance of hair, we question others wanting wigs of real hair.

Again, I don't think anyone truly questions the victims' wanting real hair. People question Locks of Love's motives when they advertise that they need real hair and solicit more donations than they need, and on top of that, by their own admission often give children synthetic wigs. If LoL were completely honest about their activities, I don't think people would have a problem (except with the complete strangers who approach us and demand that we cut our hair). :twocents:

mandeloo
October 16th, 2008, 05:18 PM

oh no that simply won't do, my blood is way to sexy. muah :p

this is depressing because I was growing my hair out like this specifically for locks of love. No worries, I shall not cut it off. I have grown attached to it.

Chromis
October 16th, 2008, 06:40 PM
oh no that simply won't do, my blood is way to sexy. muah :p

this is depressing because I was growing my hair out like this specifically for locks of love. No worries, I shall not cut it off. I have grown attached to it.

Or rather, it has grown attached to you!

:henny: