PDA

View Full Version : HG haircut - just a new trend or alternative to S&D?

tigress86
December 21st, 2015, 03:18 AM
There is a new service that many salons here where I live are introducing and promoting. It is called "HG haircut" and it is done with a special hair clipper. The method is supposed to eliminate up to 90% of split ends without losing any length. Here are some before and after photos I found (sorry if they are huge)
http://buduaar.ee/files/Upload/marketItemImage2/MarketItemImage/0000002/0827/2827548/image-551.jpg
http://buduaar.ee/files/Upload/ForumImages/55655e25b3d7cw719.jpg
http://buduaar.ru/files/Upload/marketItem2/MarketItem/0000002/0421/2421321/image-697.jpg

What do you guys think? Is it just another trendy service that the salons are offering to make more money or could this be an alternative to spending hours and hours on search and destroy? It is hard to tell from the pictures if the amount of splits has really been reduced dramatically or if the hair has just been straightened and polished more in the after photos.

parkmikii
December 21st, 2015, 03:41 AM
Hmm..I never heard about this method before but to me the after pictures look like 'after keratin treatment' results..
The angle seems a bit different as well in the after pictures, so I don't know what to say about it. I'd like to know different inputs as well :)

StellaKatherine
December 21st, 2015, 03:41 AM
I think something like that was sold on the tv a couple of years ago? I wonder if it really cuts the damaged ends or does it just cuts all the flyaways ? I have lots of flyaways naturally because of the wavy hair texture ( I guess ), not all of them damaged or having a split ends. So to me, this would be cutting new growth? I don't know really... I hope there is someone smarter than me who can tell if this is good or bad :D

Theobroma
December 21st, 2015, 03:53 AM
I've never heard of this method and I can't comment on it one way or the other, but the before-and-after photos strike me as pretty worthless. The angle and lighting is different and that's all it takes to show or mask flyaways -- my hair can look both ways on the same day, in the same updo, just depending on how the light is hitting it when I'm taking the picture.

You know those hair regrowth ads where the "before" pic shows a guy looking almost completely bald on top and the "after" pic seems to indicate that his hairline is much close to his forehead, but when you look closely you see that the "after" pic was shot from much higer up so it shows more hair? That's what these pics remind me of!

tigress86
December 21st, 2015, 04:18 AM
Found a pic of the clippers too:
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-B059hb2fUu4/VlxeGzaaNFI/AAAAAAAAAU0/wUkHFqZraHc/s1600/HG_polishen.jpg

And a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-DuZVY-A3k

But I would also be worried that it will also trim new growth and flyaways instead of just splits.

missblueeyes
December 21st, 2015, 04:40 AM
I saw an ad for that thing and honestly? How could the machine tell if the hair is actually split? That's basically like the hairdresser technique of taking a strand, twisting it and cutting of EVERY hair that pokes out of the twist, no matter whether it's split or not.

Zindell
December 21st, 2015, 04:43 AM
Uh... no thanks! (Runs away in fear after watching video)

https://youtu.be/Q-DuZVY-A3k

KittyBird
December 21st, 2015, 05:10 AM
I think something like that was sold on the tv a couple of years ago? I wonder if it really cuts the damaged ends or does it just cuts all the flyaways ? I have lots of flyaways naturally because of the wavy hair texture ( I guess ), not all of them damaged or having a split ends. So to me, this would be cutting new growth? I don't know really... I hope there is someone smarter than me who can tell if this is good or bad :D
That's what it looks like to me. I have tons of flyaways too, and not many split ends, so for me it would just cut off mostly healthy ends. Not that I would ever let anything like that near my hair, it looks scary! :couch:
I also think the 'after' pictures look like they have been straightened and smoothed down with lots of products. It's like those before and after haircut pictures, where the first photo shows the longhaired woman looking sad and frizzy in bad lighting, and the after picture with the short, stylish hair is taken after lots of styling, a professional make-up job and in excellent lighting conditions - look how much healthier and happier she is after she got rid of her unstylish and age-inappropriate long hair!

lapushka
December 21st, 2015, 05:19 AM
I saw an ad for that thing and honestly? How could the machine tell if the hair is actually split? That's basically like the hairdresser technique of taking a strand, twisting it and cutting of EVERY hair that pokes out of the twist, no matter whether it's split or not.

Yes, it's much like the "split ender". Every strand gets cut, split or not, and if the split is further up the hairshaft, it doesn't touch it. Manual S&D is still much much better!

Anje
December 21st, 2015, 07:21 AM
At least this uses (hopefully) sharp clippers to cut every flyaway hair, as opposed to the split ender! Maybe it doesn't result in every hair splitting after a few weeks from last use?

luxurioushair
December 21st, 2015, 07:28 AM
My first question is, do they charge more for it? If so, it's probably some new nonsensical money-making ploy.

LongCurlyTress
December 21st, 2015, 08:23 AM
Oh no!! This looks very scary!! :agape:

Entangled
December 21st, 2015, 08:35 AM
I mean, it could work well for someone with hair covered in splits. I've seen a few heads of hair at school that are so split all over that it would take a cut into a bob to trim it off, and S&D would take a loooong time, so in that case, I could see someone investing in it. But for me? No way.

lillielil
December 21st, 2015, 08:55 AM
I'd try it. My hair is layered and completely full of splits, so cutting off every bit that sticks out would probably be more helpful than not.

meteor
December 21st, 2015, 09:33 AM
http://buduaar.ee/files/Upload/marketItemImage2/MarketItemImage/0000002/0827/2827548/image-551.jpg
http://buduaar.ee/files/Upload/ForumImages/55655e25b3d7cw719.jpg
http://buduaar.ru/files/Upload/marketItem2/MarketItem/0000002/0421/2421321/image-697.jpg

For what it's worth, it appears that the first comparison photos were done in very different lights, the lights on the left would automatically accentuate flyaways and the lights on the right would accentuate shine. It's easy to get a huge variation like that with the same hair just by snapping a photo in direct light vs. shadow vs. photo with a flash...
And the 2 comparison pictures at the bottom likely involved even more manipulation than just light: the tresses were clearly washed and styled (possibly even straightened) for the second photo as the strands are aligned very differently, which is something a clipper alone wouldn't achieve.

I really agree with this. :agree: "Split Ender" (for home use) is another product like that and there are certainly others out there. Also, the salon procedure of burning off all ends sticking out of twists... I just don't understand how scissors, razors, clippers, fire... could separate the "bad" ends sticking out (splits, white dots) from the "good" ones (new growth, flyaways). S&D is very different in that it involves identifying those "bad" ends first.

Thanks for sharing the video, Zindell! :)
All I can say is "Ouch"! :scared:

turtlelover
December 21st, 2015, 09:34 AM
That looks creepy! If my hair was in bad enough shape to need that, I'd just cut it off and start over. Seriously, I can't imagine using that, EVER!

restless
December 21st, 2015, 09:45 AM
Looks like just another way to fool people and make easy money :shrug:

SwanFeathers
December 21st, 2015, 09:49 AM
Scary stuff

papayatree
December 21st, 2015, 09:58 AM
No thanks, I'll stick to S&D please.

Entangled
December 21st, 2015, 10:06 AM

Why would they straighten hair before using it?

Sarahlabyrinth
December 21st, 2015, 12:03 PM
Oh. That is NASTY.

Anje
December 21st, 2015, 01:24 PM
Why would they straighten hair before using it?
Well, my hair likes to have single hairs form little loops that would constantly be getting lopped off by that thing. Straightening would reduce that substantially, so only the ends would get clipped.

Entangled
December 21st, 2015, 01:34 PM
Well, my hair likes to have single hairs form little loops that would constantly be getting lopped off by that thing. Straightening would reduce that substantially, so only the ends would get clipped.

Oh, that makes sense!

Arctic
December 21st, 2015, 01:56 PM
I don't think many people outside long hair forums (or who otherwise have long hair) care whether only split/damaged ends are being cut.

I personally like the twist and snip method, it makes my hair feel great and to my experience yes even smoother looking. Most hairs that stick out from my twisted strands are my wiry, coarse hairs. And before someone throws commens about damaged hair, my hair is not damaged, and I haven't seen a split end in years. Yet I like giving the shorter hairs a little snip every now and then for various reasons (trichotillomania being one of them).

But even me, I don't know I'd trust a machine. I don't know how it works, would it cut also longer pieces of hair, would the shears/blades/what you call them be sharp enough. I rather use hair shears.

I do think the before/after photos posted are not reliable, like others have already stated.

Nadine <3
December 21st, 2015, 02:45 PM
Um, yeah my hair would look nicer after being flat ironed too...I bet these people go home, wash there hair and find that it looks the same as it did before they had this treatment done.

chen bao jun
December 21st, 2015, 03:30 PM
I agree with the majority.

the photos are taking advantage of the current belief that hair with a certain 'look' is healthy--very smooth straight hair with a sheen to it, whether it was achieved by photoshopping, photoangles , straightening or silicone smoothing products. they took the 'after' photos to make the hair look straight and shiny and most people will be fooled--the same people who are always telling us LHCers that our natural looking hair is not healthy and 'needs to be cut/straightened/dyed--whatever else.'

Duchess Fuzzy Buns
December 21st, 2015, 03:46 PM
It looks slightly less scary than the method where they burn the split ends (and any other hairs that poke out) off with fire. But really, no thanks.

Groovy Granny
December 21st, 2015, 05:39 PM
It looks slightly less scary than the method where they burn the split ends (and any other hairs that poke out) off with fire. But really, no thanks.

Both of those added to my grays :tmi: they gave me the 'heebie jeebies' :laugh:

Just like that hair curling contraption....it winds up the hair and spits out the curls. UGH :nono:

Duchess Fuzzy Buns
December 21st, 2015, 09:10 PM
Both of those added to my grays :tmi: they gave me the 'heebie jeebies' :laugh:

Just like that hair curling contraption....it winds up the hair and spits out the curls. UGH :nono:

Are you talking about this thing? shudder:

https://youtu.be/4BofSeRV1kA

Groovy Granny
December 21st, 2015, 09:19 PM

OMG...NO lol :agape:

TI was thinking of the Conair Infiniti Pro Curl Secret Curling Iron

It freaks me out to see the hair get sucked up into it.
With MY luck it would probably get stuck like what happened to this gal :tmi:
VIDEO (gets stuck @ 6 min in)https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJ3pm-0ibFA

Duchess Fuzzy Buns
December 21st, 2015, 09:53 PM
OMG...NO lol :agape:

TI was thinking of the Conair Infiniti Pro Curl Secret Curling Iron

It freaks me out to see the hair get sucked up into it.
With MY luck it would probably get stuck like what happened to this gal :tmi:
VIDEO (gets stuck @ 6 min in)https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJ3pm-0ibFA
Oh heck no! :scared: Who thought that contraption was a good idea.... Well, I'll be having hair nightmares tonight.

Groovy Granny
December 21st, 2015, 10:25 PM
Oh heck no! :scared: Who thought that contraption was a good idea.... Well, I'll be having hair nightmares tonight.

LOL I will too after seeing what YOU posted :p

And then there is always the vid of the girl burning her hair off with the curling iron...OMG.

The most I used (in the past when I was at chin) was a hot air brush (on warm) as a curling 'iron' of sorts to give my ends direction and to tame the fluff after a shampoo....no actual heat.

Thank God I don't need/use any of that now....it is AU NATURALE 100% for me :wannabe:

Those things are torture devices :tmi: lol

Obsessed1
December 22nd, 2015, 05:54 AM
I wouldn't do it. Seems like it would thin the hair. It reminds me of that candle burning method where you're just trimming or burning every hair that pokes out, that don't really need to be trimmed. Plus those photos have obviously had treatments and major styling so it's not an accurate representation of before and after

Duchess Fuzzy Buns
December 22nd, 2015, 11:06 AM
LOL I will too after seeing what YOU posted :p

And then there is always the vid of the girl burning her hair off with the curling iron...OMG.

The most I used (in the past when I was at chin) was a hot air brush (on warm) as a curling 'iron' of sorts to give my ends direction and to tame the fluff after a shampoo....no actual heat.

Thank God I don't need/use any of that now....it is AU NATURALE 100% for me :wannabe:

Those things are torture devices :tmi: lol

Perhaps we should start an ongoing thread for horrifying hair torture devices. :hmm:

Groovy Granny
December 22nd, 2015, 01:32 PM
Perhaps we should start an ongoing thread for horrifying hair torture devices. :hmm:

I don't know if I could handle it :laugh:

meteor
December 22nd, 2015, 05:40 PM

https://youtu.be/4BofSeRV1kA

:spitting:

I bet this could be very popular with little kids: Hair Tornado! :magic: Yay! :cheese:

Isn't it crazy how many funny hair contraptions manufacturers can come up with? :lol:

Kat
December 22nd, 2015, 08:48 PM
I've never heard of this method and I can't comment on it one way or the other, but the before-and-after photos strike me as pretty worthless. The angle and lighting is different and that's all it takes to show or mask flyaways -- my hair can look both ways on the same day, in the same updo, just depending on how the light is hitting it when I'm taking the picture.

You know those hair regrowth ads where the "before" pic shows a guy looking almost completely bald on top and the "after" pic seems to indicate that his hairline is much close to his forehead, but when you look closely you see that the "after" pic was shot from much higer up so it shows more hair? That's what these pics remind me of!

Yup.

First picture, of the blonde: notice that in the "after" picture, you can still see damaged-looking flyaways. And the picture is taken from further away, so not as many details of the damage are visible.

Second picture, it looks like the "before" photo has been edited to lighten it up, which makes it look washed out-- of course her hair looks crappy. In the "after" photo, the hair is held so that the damaged parts are more smoothed down, and so the light reflects off of it more.

Third photo: as in the first, the "before" photo is taken from a much closer difference than the "after" photo, so damage isn't as visible in the "after" and any damage in the "before" is played up (plus, any hair will look ratty when you get up close and fan it out). And, as in the second photo, the picture is washed out (in this case, I think too much flash was used). Note how the hair looks almost like it's two different colors in the "before" and "after" shots. Also, only a very small part of the hair is shown in each photo-- it's possible this person had one damaged section and one healthy section, and they photographed each; we have no idea what the "big picture" is on their entire head.

LoveSnap
December 22nd, 2015, 10:55 PM
Couldn't one just twist a section of hair, then graze the section with clippers? My husband cuts his own hair (military regs) so I could get this done at home. Would NOT be shelling out extra money at a salon for this.

Arctic
December 23rd, 2015, 02:11 AM
Couldn't one just twist a section of hair, then graze the section with clippers? My husband cuts his own hair (military regs) so I could get this done at home. Would NOT be shelling out extra money at a salon for this.

There would be 3 problems; the clippers could, with only slight wrong movement, cut the whole strands you are holding (although I guess scissors could do this too). And secondly. they might not be very sharp, and might cause more splits than they originally were used to remove. And third, this is not me, but most here are not willing to trim ALL the sticking out hairs, only the damaged ones.

Jennah
December 23rd, 2015, 03:07 AM
That´s a cute idea to ease s&d. And you can even do it yourself. Just wrap the hair around a pencil and attach some clips to the pencil somehow with a small distance and slide the hair.

The only thing is that you´ll also cut the flyaways, but those are short anyway so they´ll be a little shorter.

:)

yahirwaO.o
December 23rd, 2015, 06:39 PM
Im just way too lazy for all this stuff!!!!!! :luke:

.... I just prefer a regular old trim and that's it!!!!

bunneh.
December 24th, 2015, 02:27 AM
I think scissors are better since clippers might make the ends worse :/ And I'm sure it cuts every hair that pokes out, not just split ends.