PDA

View Full Version : Scalp zits, yuck.

Anje
December 20th, 2015, 11:31 PM
So I've recently noticed that I'm getting more scalp acne than the odd occasional zit, which is more normal for me. (I suspect this particular scent of shampoo isn't great for my scalp.)

What do you think? Switch to a different variety of SLES shampoo? Or would I get better results of I pick up something different like Nizoral or Head & Shoulders till this clears up?

ETA Difficulty: Washing with harsher products usually results in my scalp getting oilier before long. I'm going to want to eventually go back to my diluted shampoo wash just so I don't have to wash every 2 days.

LillithTheFirst
December 21st, 2015, 12:29 AM
You could try a tea tree medicated shampoo, or just apply a dab of tea tree to the affected areas? But it sounds like it's the shampoo is an irritant. Maybe try co-washing for a little while and see if that helps?

Nique1202
December 21st, 2015, 04:52 AM
So I've recently noticed that I'm getting more scalp acne than the odd occasional zit, which is more normal for me. (I suspect this particular scent of shampoo isn't great for my scalp.)

What do you think? Switch to a different variety of SLES shampoo? Or would I get better results of I pick up something different like Nizoral or Head & Shoulders till this clears up?

ETA Difficulty: Washing with harsher products usually results in my scalp getting oilier before long. I'm going to want to eventually go back to my diluted shampoo wash just so I don't have to wash every 2 days.

If it's only started since you started using this shampoo, I would just switch to a different shampoo, especially if you can still get one you know your scalp did fine on before. My mom had a similar problem with a shampoo she was using for a while, her head was breaking out in zits and sores all over and even without going to a medicated shampoo just switching to a different brand it totally cleared up in a couple of weeks.

lapushka
December 21st, 2015, 05:22 AM
I would pick up Nizoral, but that's me. If I get *any* scalp issue whatsoever now, I react immediately before it can get worse, because I know what it leads to if left unattended (I went through the whole wait and see several times).

But you have to be the judge of that. If you first want to try a different SL(E)S shampoo, go for it. It might be the particular shampoo, it might be a flare-up. You just don't know at first, esp. if you just changed products.

TR
December 21st, 2015, 05:41 AM
If they are just pimples without other SD symptoms (intense itching, greasy scales, gritty feeling to the scalp, etc), you might try spot-treating the pimples instead of using a harsh dandruff/SD shampoo on your whole scalp. Use a q-tip to dab the spots with whatever you use for acne anywhere else, or hydrocortisone might work. Nizoral, Head & Shoulders, and any other shampoo with antifungal as the active ingredient aren't likely to help if your spots are not caused by a fungus. You probably have some kind of mild contact dermatitis or similar condition caused by the new shampoo; switching back to a shampoo that you know was not irritating to your scalp will probably solve the problem on its own even if you don't spot-treat.

lapushka
December 21st, 2015, 06:40 AM
It all depends on if it's really angry spots (puss) or just tiny pinpricks of white gunk.

Anje
December 21st, 2015, 07:15 AM
No other SD symptoms that I've noticed. When I get flakes (rare), they're dry skin sorts. Tea tree is a good idea, though I can't say I've ever found it does much for me.... But if there's a magic bullet acne spot treatment, I haven't found it.

I think they're mostly just little gunk spots. Not much inflammation.

TR
December 21st, 2015, 07:51 AM
Tea tree never worked for me either, though some people have great success with it. If it's just isolated acne-like pustules and you've never had SD before, it's probably not SD now. If it were me I'd stay away from dandruff/SD shampoos for now. Salicylic acid shampoo like Neutrogena T-Sal or Selsun Blue Naturals (which controls my SD and is marketed for dandruff and SD) could help dry out scalp acne but could easily over dry your scalp and will definitely dry out your hair. If you decide to spot treat with acne medication be very cautious about benzoyl peroxide as it can bleach hair. Hopefully if you switch to a non-irritating shampoo the pimples will just heal on their own. If they seem infected you could dab them with neosporin.

Hali
December 21st, 2015, 07:54 AM
I would also try switching shampoo and applying tea tree, it's a miracle oil :wink: As TR said Nizoral is more for dandruff related problems.

truepeacenik
December 21st, 2015, 07:59 AM
Get a travel size of something, anything else shampoo. Wash a couple times (scalp only) and see if there's a change.

I thought of exfoliation, but that's caused spots in the past for me.

I get hairline spots, and using my partner's Trader Joe's Tea Tree Treat (which is Giovanni's Triple Treat) shampoo does wonders. I don't think either is SLS, but check.

One other thought, do you deal with rosacea? That causes small spots.
I use a sulfur soap for that.

pailin
December 21st, 2015, 08:57 AM
I've had breakouts of something a couple of times on my scalp (thankfully not for a couple of years now), and never been sure of the cause. Like little itchy vesicles, so maybe not what you have. I'd switch shampoos (and usually quit all conditioners, etc). The nizoral didn't seem to work, and I'm not convinced the tar shampoo did it either. But I did like the Neutrogena T-Gel with menthol because it made it feel better. Each time it went away, but slowly.
If it's zit-like, I'd start just by switching shampoos- maybe to what you were using previously. Otherwise to something with a different scent, or not much scent.

meteor
December 21st, 2015, 12:33 PM
If you suspect it's SD-related, anti-fungals should work. The best anti-fungal bets for this are likely ketoconazole shampoos (Nizoral or a less drying and SLS-free option Regenepure DR.) or selenium sulfide (e.g. Selsun Blue). They are all drying to hair, of course, but with how long your hair is, you can probably very easily do scalp-only washes (keeping length braided and dry), for example, following this method (by Haartraum): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwREj8Kadlo

If it's really just zits, then I think BHA exfoliant - Salicylic Acid is probably better suited for this job (https://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/meds/a607072.html). Think Neutrogena T/Sal or Shea Moisture African Black Soap Deep Cleansing poo (SLS-free), for example.

Check out more information on this here: http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.ca/2015/03/medicated-shampoos-and-conditioners-for.html

If you like to go more "natural" route, neem oil, blackseed oil, tea tree oil are pretty useful in pre-poo treatments. They work as anti-bacterials and anti-fungals and, unlike some other products, they don't normally dry out hair (tea tree oil can, but you should always dilute it well anyway).

If the scalp doesn't clear up soon, I'd definitely talk to a doctor. :flower: You might even need a strong anti-inflammatory like hydrocortisone... so seeing a doctor is something to consider.

Best of luck to you, Anje! :D I really hope your scalp will feel much, much better soon! :pray:

Bergelmir
December 21st, 2015, 02:17 PM
Didn't know scalp acne is even possible, i have to deal with some back and forehead acne and it seems a pretty common case for many people but scalp is rather rare it seems.

Anyway, i guess i would try out Ayurveda herbs containing some essential oils brewed with 10+ days (containing natural acid) honey Kombucha liquid. I think the usual stuff may not help the issue anymore, it seems a harsh case and may need real treatment. In my mind when there is scalp acne there is simply to much metabolic slags and a usual shampoo will not help the matter anymore. I think it may even make the matter worse because the scalp will react with even more metabolic slags since the issue is not solved at that point, it may call for a alkaline treatment, usually soaps (Aleppo and more) can be a good option fighting slags. The minerals is not a matter, actually it may even be useful on the scalp. Additionally it will not hurt trying out some good clay, for example Rhassoul https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhassoul , on the scalp, doing a soft massage (on scalp only) and not removing it for 1 hour at least up to 2 times a week. Of course appropriate food is always useful: Never use microwave oven, no junk food, no refined oils, no refined sugar, all those stuff is increasing acne. I would not wash in such a high frequency of 2 days because it may only produce a harsh reaction from the body by producing even more sebum.

In term there is a fungus issues, meds is just useful for short term treatment, but for long term the immune system need to be boosted, since it's the root of such issues.