PDA

View Full Version : Products That Didn't Work

Echileruwen
December 20th, 2015, 11:11 PM
The other week I was in Walgreens looking for some avocado conditioner because someone on this board recommended it in one of the threads. The clerk suggested that I try a new product made with kukui nut oil to hydrate my ends. She said it would really hydrate. I bought both the kukui shampoo and the kukui conditioner. They did improve the ends, but they made the hair near my scalp look like it hadn't been washed well, and I had to shampoo again the next day because I can't leave the house looking greasy.

I looked all over for an avocado conditioner, but all I was able to find was an avocado leave-in that was on the clearance table at Sally's because it's being discontinued. The conditioner was meant for curly hair, but I bought it anyway because it was the only avocado conditioner available. It weighed my hair down and made it feel stringy.

What products have you tried that just did not work at all? And what products might be good for dry ends without making my hair look like spaghetti?

lapushka
December 21st, 2015, 05:27 AM
SL(E)S-free products, and CO-washing didn't work on me whatsoever. My scalp is just too oily and I have SD (seborrheic dermatitis). As far as the rest goes, conditioners that are too light don't work for me (I need stuff for dry, damaged hair, even though it is none of that - it's just to moisturize the ends well).

Nique1202
December 21st, 2015, 05:48 AM
Sulfate-free has never worked for me (my sebum is very thick and waxy, and needs SLS and SLES in the first 4 ingredients of a shampoo to strip it off) and putting conditioner anywhere above my shoulders just makes me look greasy ten times faster. Other than that, I've been able to find a way to make just about anything work for me. I'm currently using three different conditioners and each one gives me different problems alone (one gave me no splits but dozens of fairy knots, one gave me no knots but all kinds of splits, and one reduced my tangles but didn't have any effect on splits or knots) but I mixed them together and now my hair's never been happier.

My recommendation for you would be to use the heavier conditioner first just on your ends, then use your previous shampoo and conditioner as usual. Or after using your previous wash-and-condition routine as you were before, try the heavy conditioner as a second round of conditioner on just your last few inches where the hair gets really dry. More info on those in the WCC method link in Lapushka's signature, and the other two links there are worth looking at also. Experiment! It's the only way to figure out what'll work for your hair specifically.

TR
December 21st, 2015, 06:10 AM
The list of things that didn't work for my hair and/or scalp is a mile long! CO washing, tea tree oil, any SD/dandruff shampoo except ones containing salicylic acid, any kind of "moisturizing" shampoo or conditioner, multiple oils including coconut and olive, I could go on forever listing products that resulted in a flat mess of hair and/or an SD flareup on my scalp.

Echileruwen
December 21st, 2015, 09:30 AM
Last night I was thinking about all the bottles of stuff that didn't work and are taking up space and feeling a bit discouraged. But *duh* I don't know why I never thought of mixing them with something else. Thanks for that, Nique! A mixture of the over-hydrating products with those that don't hydrate enough might just work. :)

Another thing that didn't work for me is coconut oil. It took several washing to degrease after that.