PDA

View Full Version : 2015 Your Year in Review: Hair Edition

papayatree
December 20th, 2015, 01:25 PM
My Fellow Long Hair Community Members, It brings me great sadness to report that the Year is coming to an end :( As a result We should take these last two weeks of the year and reflect on your hair journey this year. I will start.

In January, I had no clue what wanted my hair to be, and I experimented with Spiky Hair (which was kinda fun) Emo hair (not so much fun) and an ugly bowl cut . Now, I am setting off on a Journey to new lengths as 2016 kicks off. Around my Birthday, I decided to join LHC, and my life has changed. Bring on the growth 2016 I'm ready! Here is a song to get us in the mood. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acxnmaVTlZA&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Groovy Granny
December 20th, 2015, 01:56 PM
A year ago I was still fighting layers, short fringe, and thin ends.
In late April I did my final layer chop from MBL to APL+, which my increased hemline thickness, but sadly limited my style options.
Over the Summer I happily found my fringe was finally contained in my buns, and I could do my favorite buns again.
Since then I have had great growth, no splits, and have thoroughly enjoyed the freedom and creativity of long hair.
Now as 2016 approaches I am just an inch or so away from my final goal of hip and my fringe is at my hemline/not even noticeable.
I look forward to learning even more new styles with all my cherished hairtoys and longest length of my 64 years in the New Year :joy:

lapushka
December 20th, 2015, 02:03 PM
I went from less than TBL (hip I think) to a little beyond classic in a bit less than 2 years of no trimming. 2015 followed 2014 in steady growth. I am very happy with that!

parkmikii
December 20th, 2015, 02:06 PM
I discovered a way of getting rid of my flakes, got my first ficcare and microtrimmed a row of layers out. I also started wearing my hair up this summer. It's been a good year ^^

Sarahlabyrinth
December 20th, 2015, 02:23 PM
My hair has been steadily growing and improving and I can't ask for more than that ;)

Robot Ninja
December 20th, 2015, 02:28 PM
I started using Special Effects, and also did a couple of bleach baths. I may finally achieve the purple hair of my dreams. I also cut bangs after years of swearing "never again."

kganihanova
December 20th, 2015, 02:32 PM
Well I did nothing to it or with it and it pretty much jumped out of my dang head.

missblueeyes
December 20th, 2015, 02:42 PM
I went from being frustrated with my barely waistlength hair with virgin roots to loving my hip+ length hair with natural roots at about chin length. :) I also went through a phase of exclusively wearing my hair up for about 6 or 7 months and I ended up hating it so I'm back to wearing it down. I had 2 small trims. I figured out what shampoo, conditioner and leave-in my hair loves. 2015 has been a great year hair-wise. :D

furnival
December 20th, 2015, 02:48 PM
A year ago my hair was a bit shorter than it is now and I ignored it much the same as I do today. I have discovered that Patience is my holy grail product and I'll never use anything else. :p

Hurven
December 20th, 2015, 04:05 PM
My hair was about APL at the beginning of the year, then I cut to APL in April and now I'm almost MBL. I am very happy with my growth rate. :) I have learned to love and appreciate my virgin natural hair colour, something I never thought was possible! I was also surprised to found out that my virgin roots are even thicker than my dyed lengths, and my dyed hair was already at iii-thickness. I've switched from expensive products to ultra cheap products that work even better, which is something I am very happy with. :D I've come to accept how I look with my hair in braids or a bun. I know it's silly but wearing my hair bunned or braided has always made me feel self-conscious about my face, so I'm happy that I've accepted how I look.

It has definitely been a good hair year for me! :D

irodaryne
December 20th, 2015, 04:17 PM
I started the year with hair somewhat past shoulder, but then chopped it back to pixie in February. Since then, I've been growing it back out. I did actually get past shoulder around September/October, but in October I cut everything up to chin so that my hemline would be even for job hunting (the asymmetrical pixie cut was difficult to make look nice and professional with grown out to where it was). Now my hair is getting very, very close to shoulder (I feel like if it wasn't so floofy, it would be right about shoulder). Another inch or so and I'll be able to stick it all into a french braid, which should make it easier to resist another chopping. Here's to growing on in the new year!

Angel_Abby
December 20th, 2015, 04:25 PM
2015 will (hopefully?) be the year as I remember as the last color grow out battle. I've made peace with my greys(which I fondly call 'great hairs, not grey hairs). I did a dramatic chop in the summer to remove the color line and it's all about growing and benign neglect in 2016!

Hope everyone has a lovely holiday and fantastic 2016!

Lauraes
December 20th, 2015, 04:42 PM
In January, I was washing with sulfate shampoos daily, heat styling 5 days a week, leaving my hair down 24/7, ripping a brush through it to detangle, dying it blonde with perm dye every other month or so, etc... I was very bad. shudder:

In February, I joined Long Hair Community! :) After joining, I switched to sulfate free shampoo and began weekly heavy oilings with coconut oil. I also began to heat style less often (several times a week instead of 5). I began using a comb. I also made the decision to give up permanent dye and stopped dying my hair. I had about 2" trimmed off.

In April, I had stretched washes to three times a week.

In May, I dyed my hair with perm dye again because of prom (and prom went disastrously, so it wasn't even worth it).

In June, I gave up heat styling completely except for the rare special occasion. I began wearing my hair bunned or braided every day. I stretched washes to where I am now- twice a week.

In July, I dyed my hair as close to my natural color as possible and made the decision to never dye my hair with perm dye again.

In the fall, I just kept up with my routine, only tweaking a few minor things such as deep treatments. I think this is about the time I got my satin sleep cap and satin pillowcase.

In December, I learned how to use a hairstick!

papayatree
December 20th, 2015, 08:17 PM
Awesome work everyone you all get :flowers: and a ttask, bring a friend to the end of the Year LHC party at this thread,on December 30th at 5:30 P.M. Eastern Standard Time (U.S.) or if you run on 24 hour clock, 17:30 EST! See you then

Asrai
December 20th, 2015, 09:09 PM
I started the year with barely past shoulder length green & blue hair. I let that fade out, panicked about getting a job, dyed my hair dark red, that faded weird, so I hennaed a few times. I got bored of the henna red, bleached it out & accidentally dyed it dark pink, dyed it purple a few times, & the last time, the dye lasted so long I got some pretty long roots of my natural colour. This made me decide I wanted to give up bleaching the majority of my hair & after a month or so, I hennaed again on impulse. Now I'm ending the year with past APL hair that's burgundy-ish henna plus left over purple with cobalt blue bangs/face framing layers, which seems to be the colour sweet spot for me. I get to have fun with colours around my face, but the bulk of my hair gets the benefits of henna & a reprieve from bleach. (I'm also totally loving the colour my unbleached hair turns with henna! It's so rich & dark.)

I've also this year grown long enough to be able to do single English braids & not have it look weird, & I can just about do a lazy wrap bun if I use a spin pin along with the stick for extra support. I also purchased my first hair fork & I am totally in love & want lots more (I might or might not already have another on the way). I also significantly expanded my flexi-8 collection to keep up with outgrowing my large flexis & needing to go up to extra large ones for my buns.

Colour shenanigans aside, I feel really solid about 2015 as far as my hair goes. I especially can't believe I finally hit APL after years & years of trying & having to cut back due to bleach damage. Can't wait to see what lengths I can reach in 2016!

poli
December 20th, 2015, 11:59 PM
Wow, nice progress everyone!
2015 is my first year at LHC:
- grew from shoulder to APL
- learnt to cut my own bangs and to dust my ends by myself
- stretched washes to twice a week
- got my first hair fork
- also experimented a lot with washing methods and deep treatments (and hope to do so in 2016 too)
:cheese:

Verdandi
December 21st, 2015, 02:16 AM
Started year with waist-hip-ish hennaed hair with about an inch of roots.
I used a lot of temporary dyes like manic panic, I dip dyed my ends purple and later the underlayer black to take focus away from my roots that looked like well... dishwater compared to my hennaed lengths.

In May I dyed all my hair with a red Manic Panic since I was going to a fancy party and just could'nt bear to do it with three inches of roots. It got all Disney Princess Ariel Red. It faded to a nice orangey color eventually and lasted most of the summer during which I was working so much that my hair just got put up and forgotten about.

This autumn I went for a lot of braids, and it shows on my ends that became thinner and more wispy. Probably because the enda are from my box-dye-every-month-and-heat-style-days and still has some old layers.
I also reached BCL but trimmed away an inch. Grew back there again and is considering trimning about 3" to get rid of the last layers and finally fix my hem. We'll see about that though......

Chocowalnut
December 21st, 2015, 02:24 AM
Nothing really happened at all this year. I started out around cbl I think and reached apl a few months ago. I'm very close to bsl and might call it by the end of the year. I started growing out my natural color around May or so last year. Currently, I am really wanting to get straight bangs and this is my current internal debate. Also very tired with my two-toned hair and wanting to do something with the color. I haven't trimmed at all this year (since late 2014).

Crumpet
December 21st, 2015, 08:28 AM
I started with WL and I'm ending with WL. The main change is that my layers are gone and my hemline is thickening up. My hair is very healthy and happy at the moment. I find myself a bit bored with it though and need to figure out new styles and things to do with it.

Aingeal
December 21st, 2015, 08:42 AM
I started this year growing out the rest of my hennaed hair. In March, I had a disastrous cut (after asking for a one inch trim.) My hair was chopped into two horrible layers, the shortest of which was only a few inches (and I have curly hair.) The stylist (if you can call her that) also took out shears and thinned my hair to within an inch of its life. I was left with chin length hair that had no body, horrible layers, and there was nothing I could do about it. I spent the summer growing that horrible thing out, and in July I found an amazing stylist who fixed my hair as best she could. Over the past five months I have been happily growing out that cute cut from ear length to shoulder length whilst curly and my thickness is returning. Now it's onward and downward!

restless
December 21st, 2015, 10:24 AM
2015 started out with hip length hair. However the last 2 inches were dyed, bleached, thin and broken, so in February I couldnt take it anymore and chopped them off, which left me with virgin waist length hair. Ever since Ive just been growing and its now BCL-ish, at least when wet.

In June I created an Etsy-account and my wallet has never been the same since...

Sometime during the late summer/early autumn I discovered argan oil. Love that stuff! I also started to mix different oils with eachother for deep treatments, after many years of using only coconut oil.

Yeah I think that pretty much sums it up.

Nellon
December 21st, 2015, 10:29 AM
Went from mostly hennaed red almost APL hair to bleached blonde shoulder length bob. Still not quite sure how that came to be...? :confused:

akuamoonmaui
December 21st, 2015, 10:36 AM
My hair seemed to get stuck between waist and tailbone. The last half of the year it definitely began to grow again! I did my final trim of the year and I have the hemline I've been waiting years for that ends at the top of my tailbone.

My struggle has been with color. About 1 year and a half ago, I used a henna indigo blend that I hadn't used before and it made my hair VERY dark. And it stuck. Now, with about 8-9" of new growth it's been very difficult to blend that "waterline" with my natural color. I'm semi happy with the results.... Lesson learned - always do a strand test....

Overall, I love my hair.

Pinni
December 21st, 2015, 11:08 AM
I started to write to a forum for the very first time in 2015. I was both LHC and forum beginner. My written english is a bit awkward but I'm hopeful it will get better when time goes. My hair grew from mb to waist and I learned a lot new about hair care!

lapushka
December 21st, 2015, 11:35 AM
I've come to accept how I look with my hair in braids or a bun. I know it's silly but wearing my hair bunned or braided has always made me feel self-conscious about my face, so I'm happy that I've accepted how I look.

And you have such a pretty face too! I bet it looks just great with buns & braids! :D

Agnes Hannah
December 21st, 2015, 04:30 PM
I started the year at waist, now am touching BCL. I have began a love affair with Henna, we met in the summer of this year. My hair is the longest it has ever been, and I sometimes think "Oh my goodness, it is so long!", then sometimes I think "It's not that long at all, in fact it seems so short!". In January of this year I purchased my first ficcare, and my collection has grown a little (he he he). I have done regular trims also this year, one more to go (the smallest trims ever!) and did my first SMT treatment. Lets see what 2016 brings!

rhosyn_du
December 21st, 2015, 04:48 PM
I started the year with the left side of my head shaved to the scalp. I decided a couple months later that I wanted to grow long again, and in April, I had it trimmed to an asymmetrical pixie. I've been slowly growing out the shave to match the rest of my hair, and last week it was finally long enough for me to trim to a jaw-length bob.

Magalo
December 21st, 2015, 04:55 PM
In the spring I decided to grow out my bangs (had them since I had hair!!) to see how it look. I made one, then two more dreadlocks at the nape of my neck. At the end of summer I decided that two dreadlocks was enough and detangled the middle one. I also decided that bangs definetly suits me better so I cut them in, but not as thick as they were before so I'm now growing a streak on each side of my face. I don't regret trying to grow them out because It forced me to make peace with my huge forehead! In fall I wanted my hair darker, closer to auburn than copper. But henna wouldn't darken more. I took a box dye in dark auburn but I ended up with deep red/purple hair, almost black!!! Now it's winter, my hair faded to the exact shade of auburn I wanted, my old bangs are now down to my chin and my two dreadlocks are fully knotted and mature. I also got the last haircut I needed to even out my hemline. Everything will be smooth sailing from now on. :)

papayatree
December 22nd, 2015, 07:43 AM
I forgot to metion that around November, I started to strectch my washes and I think it's working, as I feel really happy about my hair!

Jennah
December 22nd, 2015, 08:53 AM
I started the year with APL long hair all one-length in a round cut. I figured that getting to BSL would be a cinch and I probably would be approaching waist by the end of the year.

Instead, my hair kept ratting at the ends, and I kept trimming it to make it look full. As a result it grew very little and Iīm still far from BSL. I trimmed about 4 times 1 to 2 inches each what seemed like very little hair.

I also decided to cut bangs and face framing layers halfway through the year. It was a big decision as I had been growing out bangs for two years, but I couldnīt get used to the look without the bangs as I always had them, and I didnīt like the hair falling on my face and having to wear a half-up or the hair pulled back in whatever way all the time.

Now with the bangs I feel free to wear the hair down without any clips, which has been big change for me.

Iīm still figuring out the best cut for the bangs as I started cutting emo bangs which I think rock, except that it was impossible to make them stay that way with my hair. Now Iīm trying to have curls for bangs as my next project, and also going no trimming to try and get some length.

school of fish
December 22nd, 2015, 08:53 AM
2015 has been the year of finalizing my routine.

I had already been microtrimming monthly in 2014 but in Jan/15 I established the trim schedule on the new moon.

Early in Feb I began CO washing and loved the results, but it would be a few more months before I refined the system the way my hair likes it.

Sometime in March I cut in a blunt undercut at around APL to counteract the terrible tangles I kept getting in my underlayer due to friction damage and multi-length ends - I couldn't gain any length ground because the tangle damage kept breaking the underlayer and making it worse.

I think it was perhaps around April or May that I started doing roots-only henna applications instead of full root-to-tip ones. Around this time I settled into a s&c wash twice a week and co all the other days was ideal for me.

In June a light olive oil treatment pretty much made me realize that oil treatments are not for me...

By my Aug trim date I had reached BCL but cut back 1-1/2" to thicken my hemline and create a blunter effect. I also joined LHC after years of lurking and learning! An experiment in adding a touch of oil to my henna mix cemented the fact that oil and my hair don't mix!

In Sept I resdiscovered ACV rinses, this time getting the dilution correct, and consider that my first 'holy grail' hair practice. By Sept I was doing my roots henna on a weekly basis, and I started doing SMTs on the length while the henna was on - my hair loves water!

In Nov I decided my final goal length is BCL, not TBL. As my hem has thickened and straightened it's looking and feeling longer at a shorter length.

On my Dec trim date I once again trimmed back from brushing BCL about an inch. My undercut layer has reached BSL (with regular trims). The tangles are gone, so now I'm gaining ground because I'm no longer losing length to damage breakage.

It was a good hair year. I really know what works for me now, my routine feels low-maintenance, and I enjoy the rhythm of it. Any changes I make are just likely to be refinements :)

Stray_mind
December 22nd, 2015, 09:23 AM
Hmmm, i didn't do much to my hair this year. I just stopped hennaing and trimmed it once in November (took a couple of inches off and made my hemline slightly U shaped). I managed to reach BSL, MBL and WL during this year, but now i am back to MBL. My hair is also changing it's tecture and becomming more wurly.
I've been keeping to benign neglect routine and i still intend to keep it like that.

Let's see how far will i get next year. :)

lillielil
December 22nd, 2015, 09:36 AM
I started somewhere around APL. Had an aggressive trim in a hotel bathroom in February, hours before an interview. Found products I loved and a routine that worked great. Occasionally heat styled. Used light red permanent dye.

April - moved across the country and have been struggling to find products that work with the water here. Switched to semi-permanent dye.

September - decided to grow my hair out, came back to LHC and promptly spent way too much money on toys

October - compact cut, 1" to trim layers.

November - compact cut, .5" to trim layers, ponytail lower than before.

TrapperCreekD
December 22nd, 2015, 12:44 PM
Wow, where did the year go?!?!

Fair warning, these aren't in chronological order, just the order I'm remembering

♥ Trimmed left racers for 6 months.
♦ Grew (Racers touched Classic, hopefully :pray:)
♣ Discovered my favorite heatless curl method: bantu knots
♠ Gave myself a blowout (how do normal people do this everyday???)
♥ Hairtoys!
♦ Managed a sleek Hypno bun
♣ Mastered 4 strand braids
♠ Fell in love with Hello Hydration conditioner

ETA: tried a Mega Flexi and liked it.

samanthaa
December 22nd, 2015, 02:58 PM
2015 was my first full year without a conventional trim at the hair salon. I didn't even realize it had been so long! I haven't been since the May of 2014.

papayatree
December 23rd, 2015, 12:08 PM
I am so happy that everyone has had a Positive 2015!

Klaudia
December 24th, 2015, 05:11 AM
In 2015
I found out there are semi-permanent hair colors, and red can last in my hair (unlike purple).
I learned my scalp prefer less stripping shampoos. I could stretch from four days to five, rarely six.
I also learned, I tend to go scissors happy.
I tried cassia, and the inconvenience of application outweighs its benefits for me.

TR
December 24th, 2015, 06:46 AM
I started the year with APL+ healthy hennaed hair and a frequently gross scalp due to SD. In 2014 I'd learned the ponytail method for self-trimming (suitable for hair that's too short for Feye's self trimming method) and was happily maintaining my hair without salon visits. In 2015 I finally found products and routine that controlled my SD and have enjoyed a healthy scalp for almost seven months now. In the spring I got tired of henna, both the color and the process, and decided to try not coloring at all. In the summer I got tired of the length and started gradually cutting it shorter. By late August I'd cut all the way to super-short pixie (about 1.5 inches on top down to about 0.5 inches in back), which I'd learned to successfully cut and maintain myself. I rediscovered my natural medium ash brown color, then tried dyeing it blond at home and hated the resulting brassy color. Dyed the mess with ash brown and ended up close to my natural color. Last color was in early November, last trim was in mid October. I'm at almost-mullet with an inch of virgin roots, committed to keeping scissors and hair color away from my head through 2016 (except for trimming the fringe). I'm really pleased that I found a routine to control my SD, and that I learned to cut my hair at all lengths.

Mademoiselle
December 25th, 2015, 08:55 AM
Hello =)
2015 started with the BSB hair,shampoo sulfate, and chemical dye.
Change my chemical dye to henna, started using natural shampoo without sulfate, silicone ,parabens, and now my hair is between MBL-WL. I'm happy with the changes, I hope to continue growing well :knit::meditate:

YvetteVarie
December 27th, 2015, 04:59 PM
I started 2015 with virgin hair that was APL. However, I had severe breakage from over stretching my hair to bun it, so I decided to relax it and trim off the damage which took me back to shoulder length. I decided to actively grow out my hair using a lot of growth aides and techniques. I'm now ending 2015 past APL now and slowly moving on to BSB.

RainbowBowser
December 28th, 2015, 04:50 AM
2015 was the year of benign neglect for me.
I fought the midback abyss and won, reached my *initial* goal of waist length.
While I do S&D casually, there is hardly any interest in taking hair selfies. Back around BSL (2013-14) I did them monthly.
This was also the year I stretched my washes to once a week instead of twice.
The only hair regret I have is not attempting anything more complex than a braided bun.

Kimberly
December 28th, 2015, 01:55 PM
Benign neglect here this year, too. No changes in routine, no trims, no measuring. Not much new length, but it got curlier and thicker. Only bought one hair toy all year, just last week, because this year I grew into old toys that had never quite worked for me. It was like getting a perfect hair toy collection all at once! The big excitement this year, though, is a new signature style with a puffy high bun or topknot and a swoopy front (sort of small-scale Edwardian) that showcases my new, growing silver streak. It's really just a Nautilus, but it sure looks different placed like that. I bought some new reading glasses to go with it, and even my mom complimented me (usually every time she sees me she asks when I am going to cut it, but not this year). It was a good hair year! I don't plan to change a thing in 2016.

papayatree
December 30th, 2015, 01:02 PM
The Year is almost over, So this might be the last post here. I would like to thank every one of you who has posted on this thread! You mean a lot to me, as for a few days, this was a hot thread! I want you all to have a safe new years eve and day, and an awesome 2016. Happy Growing!

Akville
December 31st, 2015, 06:56 AM
great hair year...
got to hip with no trimming...
end looks great so with a little extra care I will be aiming Classic new year.

Good luck everybody. Happy new year!!!

SwordWomanRiona
December 31st, 2015, 07:59 AM
Reached knee-length (http://rionashairblog.blogspot.com.es/2015/12/hair-in-2015-length-and-colour.html), lots of benign neglect, learned a couple new styles, experimented with cosplay hairstyles (http://rionashairblog.blogspot.com.es/2015/12/hair-in-2015-texture-experiments-and.html), started posting hair videos (http://rionashairblog.blogspot.com.es/2015/12/hair-in-2015-styles-and-video-tutorials.html) and hair blogged more often :)

Obsidian
December 31st, 2015, 08:24 AM
2015 was the year of hair abuse. It started at shoulder length and after 2-3 applications of light blonde hair color, I decided to straighten my already damaged frizzy mess. Of course this turned my hair into a brittle, flat disaster. The ends were breaking off and it was constantly tangled. Add to that a severe SD flare from the high summer heat and I just couldn't take it.

In June I had it cut into a pixie, the longest was only 1". I did end up using a box dye one more time to go 2 shades lighter but I have not cut again except to trim my bangs. Now I have chin length or so hair and have went full on henna head.

No more chemical abuse of my hair, now if I can only keep the scissors away this summer once it gets hot.

ebaviisakas
December 31st, 2015, 09:03 AM
In the beginning of the year I felt hopeless growing out my colour (was still too little for me to cut it off). Hair finally reached below my waist first time since I was 11 or so in the summer. Started gradually cutting off my dyed ends, until I managed to cut it all off, I am now at shoulder lenght, but totally virgin hair for the first time in 7 years. Gave up blow drying completely. Really looking forward to growing my hair long.

Oh and happy new year everyone! :)

browneyedsusan
December 31st, 2015, 09:27 AM
Last year, I had dyed my underlayer chocolate with Adore, and trimmed about 1 1/2" to even up the ends.

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8611/15747211830_72af7a3ed6.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/pZwzsf)20141202_154153-1 (https://flic.kr/p/pZwzsf) by Mom and wife (https://www.flickr.com/photos/62007100@N08/), on Flickr

This year, I left the color alone, and trimmed about the same amount. :)

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/737/23310541599_7d66188397.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/BvSBTD)2015-12-11_11-55-19 (https://flic.kr/p/BvSBTD) by Mom and wife (https://www.flickr.com/photos/62007100@N08/), on Flickr

I'm really happy with my long hair. It's even funner than my pixies! :)

pailin
December 31st, 2015, 10:39 AM
I went through a phase of questioning whether to keep growing my hair or cut it shorter or cut out the layers. Then I joined here, and you all strengthened my resolve not to cut. I haven't trimmed at all and my hair is the longest it's ever been. I finally figured out what I need in a shampoo, went back to cones (but not in the shampoo). I started doing buns and braids and bought some hairtoys; and as my last hurrah for 2015, finally learned to french braid (December 29th).
That said, have a happy New Year, everyone! It's been 2016 for 40 minutes here already.

amino
December 31st, 2015, 12:09 PM
I became hair-obsessed at the beginning of last year, so I bought a lot of sticks and received a lot of presents from the RAOK thread. I learned more complex buns than the LWB (not by much—the infinity and the figure-8), and found out just how much I love forks. I experimented with different washing methods (switched from my baby shampoo halfway through the year, to vinegar and baking soda for a teensy bit, to cones, to soapberries and all-natural experiments.) I looove my soapberries, and I bought an aloe plant so I can do fun things.

I'm brushing waist, which is very frustrating, but my hair is super-healthy and there are only a few split ends. :)

DreamSheep
December 31st, 2015, 01:15 PM
1) I became the proud owner of many hairtoys and hairsticks and hairforks and flexi-8s... far too many of them :p
2) I met some lovely LHCers (not really to do with my hair, but I got to see more wonderful hair, learn some hairstyling tips and see more hairtoys)
3) I dyed the tips of my hair red in March, and again in May
4) The dye was completely pulled out whilst swimming in the pool over Summer
5) My hair was trimmed from TBL to BCL on the 31st last year, but I reached TBL again and I'm just about at classic now. I feel I should probably trim again tonight, but I don't have hair scissors or access to any so I'll probably just pass :p
6) I can now do nauthilus buns properly

Ironically, instagram is doing this "your top 9 most rated photos" or whatever, and although I post a mix of stuff the hair ones always get the most interaction, so my top 9 are probably a good review of my hair anyway (and I can't figure out how to link to the photo anymore, their source page changed, so this is the link to the photo):
https://www.instagram.com/p/_9OjcSPf7W/?taken-by=squeakcode

Duchess Fuzzy Buns
December 31st, 2015, 11:09 PM
1. Reached waist length!
2. Waited out a particularly nagging urge to chop my hair back to APL this fall, and so glad I didn't act on that.
3. Gained a few new hair toys.
4. Found a shampoo and conditioner I'm really happy with.
5. Participated in my first LHC swap in the spring. :)
All around it was a good hair year. :)

Frankenstein
January 1st, 2016, 01:04 AM
This year I bit the bullet and cut off my fairytale ends because I was feeling bad about how thin I thought my hair looked. I stayed at TBL for another two months until I decided I wanted thicker ends and a shorter length. I've been at hip/BCL maintaining ever since and I plan to stay here for now and hopefully get an even fuller hemline. I found this site and learned so much about hair care: I started using a satin bonnett, wide tooth comb/finger detangling, coconut oil and deep treatments. Since coming here I've been experimenting a lot more with what's good for my hair. And just a few weeks ago I learned how to do a Chinese bun :D

Aurum
January 1st, 2016, 01:41 AM
I reached BCL and then chopped it all off to collarbone around September. I went on break from LHC for a while and have just been growing ever since. I'll probably hit APL soon.

cat11
January 1st, 2016, 09:44 AM
Well I started the year BSL. With a pointier hem than I have now, and two more inches of dye damage than I have now.

Now I'm between waist and hip, so I passed BSL and MBL, got to waist, and got rid of 2 inches of dye damage and worked on straightening my hem. I'm happy with my progress, I'd say! i also acquired many more hair toys...

Phanaferous
January 2nd, 2016, 11:05 AM
Moved away from every day shampoos last winter. Planned on returning to an every day schedule in the summer, but I found I didn't need to. Got curious about water-only washing and tried it for a week or two in late summer. Didn't like it, but moved to an every third day shampoo after that since my sebum production rate slowed down. Decided to learn some new hairstyles (other than english braid, cinnablob bun, or folded ponytail bun), and found some shortish chopsticks to play with. Tried coconut oil, went way too heavy with it at first, then made it a regular thing. Cut about 6 inches in November; back to tailbone and a fresh hem (it had been over three years). Joined LHC instead of just lurking. Learned to rope braid, rose bun, chinese bun, rag curl, nautilus bun, and half-up bun. Added a second conditioner to my wash routine. Tried every fourth day washing but developed a persistent itchy raw spot on the back of my head-- returned to every third day washing; hair is happy here.

kaeide
January 2nd, 2016, 11:19 AM
I realized how damaged my hair was. So I stopped washing it every day. As the year went on, I decided to not just buy the cheapest shampoo and conditioner I could find, and purchase some better products. I bought heat protectants, and a bunch of oils. I started doing oil treatments on my hair overnight, and using leave in conditioners after I showered.
Near the end of the summer my hair was getting darker because I wasn't spending much time in the sun, so I decided to get it professionally cut and dyed in September. The hair stylist cut off about 4 inches of hair, and dusted my short broken off layers, and for the first time in my life my hair looked somewhat thick! She added a few highlights, and used a bunch of hair masks.

Since that hair appointment, I've started sleeping with my hair up in a bun, or in a braid on a silk pillowcase. I also don't straighten my hair every day anymore, or use heat very often for that matter. I also started using a tangle teaser, and not brushing it while it's wet, that has helped a LOT.

I've pretty much made a 180 On how I treat my hair, and I've noticed a difference. My ends are no longer breaking off as easily, less split ends, and my hair has grown about 2 inches since September (but I had another small trim, so in reality it's 1 1/2 inches). My short layers on top are growing out, and best of all, my hair does not fall out nearly as much as it was.

maborosi
January 2nd, 2016, 12:56 PM
1) I started at about waist, then reached hip length, my original goal from back when I joined LHC. Now I'm going to grow longer and I hope to be close to classic at the end of 2016.

2) Bleached my hair, and lived to tell the tale! I posted about it on my blog, but basically, all I notice is that it's slightly dryer at the ends. I was really getting unhappy with the color, and so, so glad I did it!!

3) Can finally do some respectable, long-hair buns. I can sort of do a cameo bun (But it looks messy. Pretty sure that's not for lack of hair)

Eastbound&Down
January 3rd, 2016, 10:28 AM
My year in review:

Jan 2, 2015
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=15674&d=1422493203

Jan 2, 2016
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=20734&d=1451839580

When you look side by side, it's kinda amazing. Not only did it grow quite a bit in the last year, it has improved in quality :) pretty pleased with it and can't wait for longer lengths.

Kelikea
January 3rd, 2016, 02:30 PM
I went from about 3 inches past Classic, to trimming off those 3 inches July 4th, to have a horrible uneven chop the day before school started in August. I had it trimmed again before Thanksgiving, to try and even up the sides(the bad chop left a huge section out of the left side). It looks ok now, but I have also had a pretty bad shed. I am hoping to slowly grow it out with minimal trims this year. The longest section is around TBL. Maybe I can get close to Classic again by next December?

Brunettebybirth
January 3rd, 2016, 04:36 PM
Terrible hair year for me. Discovered a few months ago that I had lost a lot of volume, was shedding like crazy, hair was brittle and very dry too. Treated my hair horribly also with daily heat styling, styling products, etc. Wised up around October-November and rehauled the way I treat and style my hair. No heat styling anymore except for once a month. Don't wash daily, every other day currently. Started supplementing once I learned my shedding was not medically-related. Happy to report that my hair is repairing itself, and new baby hairs have begun to sprout. 2016 is the year of hair repair for me. A complete 180 where I was last year at this time.

Sarahlabyrinth
January 3rd, 2016, 05:02 PM
Terrible hair year for me. Discovered a few months ago that I had lost a lot of volume, was shedding like crazy, hair was brittle and very dry too. Treated my hair horribly also with daily heat styling, styling products, etc. Wised up around October-November and rehauled the way I treat and style my hair. No heat styling anymore except for once a month. Don't wash daily, every other day currently. Started supplementing once I learned my shedding was not medically-related. Happy to report that my hair is repairing itself, and new baby hairs have begun to sprout. 2016 is the year of hair repair for me. A complete 180 where I was last year at this time.

That's great that your hair is gradually improving! Here's to a great 2016 of hair growth for you ;)

nalgena
January 3rd, 2016, 05:58 PM
At the beginning of 2015 my hair was a little past BSL, but had tons of split ends, it tangled like crazy and it was shedding waaaay more than usual. So I cut my hair for about 3 inches in Jan, cut back on washing and started taking some supplements.

In March shedding had finally stopped (after 4 months) and I thought my hair was starting to look better. Then after a long time I met my friend and as blunt as she can be, when she saw me, she was said "Your hair looks terrible! U need to cut it!" I looked in the mirror and saw that my ends were very thinned out and that my hair indeed looked terrible, so I cut another 2-3 inches. I repeated the process at the end of August, so in 2015 I haven't gained any length at all, as a matter of fact, my hair is a bit shorter than it was 12 moths ago. I wasn't upset about it at all, because I was (and still am) growing out dye and wanted to cut my hair eventually anyway. I also learned that my hair needs silicones and that I hates proteins.

Hopefully this year will be better for my hair.

earthybee
January 3rd, 2016, 06:02 PM
I went from BSL to shoulder length last year from super dark Henna'd hair to lightened hair. I had some shedding issues so I guess torchuring my hair was the answer. :smirk: I recently went back to henna/indigo so good ol neglect and hot oils will be my anthem for this year. Patience :meditate:

ShawnS
January 3rd, 2016, 08:38 PM
Stayed pretty much at mid back, but got rid of some layers and branched out a bit on styles. Before it was down, messy man bun, or ponytail occasionally. Now I can braid, do a couple real buns and actually have the courage to rock it however I'm feeling. Hopefully this year I'll add some length, as I'd like to get to waist i think.

bunneh.
January 4th, 2016, 05:35 AM
2015 hasn't been a good year for me in terms of my hair... In first third of the year I got face framing layers and more layers throughout my hair. In the last third of the year I cut my hair below waist length and layered it more. I enjoyed my layers a lot, even now I don't exactly hate them and don't feel the need to get rid of them asap (I want more length first), but honestly I miss my blunt TBL hair. Not so much that it would make me cry alone at night lol but you know, I'd rather have that than what I have now.

On a more positive side, I discovered henna which thank God for that and LHC, which made me really passionate about hair and taking a better care of my hair. With all the knowledge provided here I'm sure I'll be able to grow my hair long and strong, it'll just take a very long time and patience isn't my strong point, but to be honest, journey is more important than the goal, so let's enjoy it as much as possible. :)

Amode
January 21st, 2016, 03:57 PM
In January 2015, I had to cut most of my hair off, as I had ruined it with too much bleaching and dyeing... And so I made a New Year's resolution to never cut or bleach my hair at home anymore. And I haven't! (...I still dye it, though.)

http://i1057.photobucket.com/albums/t387/NPCbot/LHC2.jpg

It's funny, for the entire year I felt as if my hair was barely growing at all, but looking at it like this, it just seems I had forgotten just HOW short it was in January :P
At the end of the year I invested in a lot of quality hair care products in an effort to keep this mess in a passable condition, as I would like to not cut it all in 2016. We'll see!

TheGray
January 21st, 2016, 04:20 PM
I started with hair just past my shoulders, went up to a pixie cut in May and now steadily growing it out back towards my shoulders. I currently have a chin-length bob and am so glad to be out of the awkward grow out stages

lapis_lazuli
January 21st, 2016, 04:33 PM
I guess I was around hip length at the beginning of 2015 and ended at classic. Huh. I didn't hit me until just now about how much it grew! Really puts it in perspective about what a year can do! I hope 2016 will yield similar results :toast:

gregh
January 22nd, 2016, 02:21 PM
Started out the year in the middle of the awkward stage. So it was quite eventful with a lot of milestones and I ended the year passed shoulder length and actually feeling like a longhair.

kaeide
January 22nd, 2016, 06:01 PM
The beginning of 2015 I saw a picture of my hair from behind, and I was shocked at how awful it looked. It was greasy, layered from breakage, and extremely frayed. During the summers of 2009-2014 I spent anywhere from 6-12 hours outside, and bleached the heck out of my hair. It's crazy how much damage the sun can do!! I had also been straightening it every day and I decided to make a change.
So I did a lot of googling. I stopped using box dyes to highlight my hair, and started to cut my split ends off (S&D). But it kept getting worse.
Over time I went from washing my hair every day, to only washing it roughly every 3 days. I started putting oils on it, and using heat protectors.
In September I went to a hair salon and had them cut my hair for me because my hair was just getting shorter and shorter. That hair cut made my hair look SO much better, but it was barely past shoulder length.
Eventually I found this forum, and started doing a lot of reading. I've now been experimenting a lot, and I've started to embrace my natural hair texture a lot more. Since September my hair has grown about 2-3 inches, but I've had a few trims. I still have the short layers, but they are getting longer than they have been in years.

Overall, 2015 was the most monumental year for my hair, and I can wait to see where my hair is at the end of 2016!!!