PDA

View Full Version : Hair? Dust & lint magnet?

lapushka
December 20th, 2015, 05:17 AM
Is it? It most certainly is for me! Oh, boy. When my TT goes through for my weekly detangle, a lot of "dust" even and lint comes out. Maybe it is because I detangle only once a week. I don't think I ever used to have this at shorter lengths, but now at classic, all kinds of things seem to "crop up". :lol:

Who else has this issue?

I do use conditioner twice and do the LOC method (leave-in/gel/serum).

parkmikii
December 20th, 2015, 05:24 AM
I detangle once a week too and there's no lint or dust. I do find some cat hairs though since I have a fluffy persian that sheds the long hairs. I only oil my hair after I wash it and I condition after washing normally ^^
My hair is 90 cm or BCL if it matters

Hairkay
December 20th, 2015, 05:29 AM
I get lint even though I now wear a satin cap for bedtime. It's mostly in the back around the nape now where collars can come into contact with hair there. I haven't noticed dust. I wash every day or every other day so that may have taken care of the dust.

Mimha
December 20th, 2015, 05:33 AM
Ha ha ha ha ha Lapushkaaaa ! :lol:

Maybe you should detangle more often ? Like every other day ? Lol.

I didn't know hair could be "dusty", but really, IT CAN ! :laugh: Since I have detangled it every morning and evening during 1 year over my washbasin in order to collect my shed hair (for the statistics I was making), I noticed that a lot of cotton dust from bed sheets and wool from blanket come out of my hair every day. All the more that I sleep with my hair loose, so it really collects the dust ! It also collects the garment fibers when it's loose during the day, lol. So yep, since then I consider combing and brushing as a daily dusting task, ha ha ha ha !

lapushka
December 20th, 2015, 05:43 AM
Maybe it's just my TT getting old, because I can almost never get all of the fluff out. I do have SD, so maybe a part of it is from my scalp (that I haven't noticed), although it is clear. :shrug: Oddness. I swear, it seems like dust particles!!! And I always wear my hair up too (except for at night). Maybe there's night gnomes shoving dust in there. :lol: :bigtongue: :disgust:

school of fish
December 20th, 2015, 06:43 AM
Mine was a total lint magnet back when I was experimenting with oils and leave-ins. Even single drops of oil, serum or regular conditioner left in would attract dust like crazy, and interfere with detangling. At the time I was still using a BBB to smooth the strands and distribute oils, and I couldn't believe how much dust and lint would accumulate in the bristles!

This was back in the 'figuring it out' stage of establishing my routine. I searched the boards at the time and found lots of other people also finding that oils in particular seemed to attract lint.

I'm now a daily washer, regular detangler, and use no leave-ins at all, and it's no longer an issue for me at all. The acid rinse I use daily leaves my hair much more slippery than it used to be, so I think perhaps that helps to keep lint and such from sticking. I know you have a good routine established for yourself though and I'm sure wouldn't want to mess with it too much. Just letting you know about my own observations :)

A bit off-topic but related - I was talking to my sister-in-law recently and she was telling me that she felt her house was dustier than it used to be years ago (and she's a very regular and thorough cleaner). I told her I'd noticed the same thing too and then told her my theory about paper products - tissues, toilet paper, paper towel, etc... those are all now manufactured with a high percentage of recycled fibre content, and are by nature far more linty than they used to be. The amount of dust that collects in my bathroom is higher than elsewhere in the house, and if you tear off a sheet of toilet paper in really bright sunlight you can see why - dustcloud, haha! So I believe current pulp and paper manufacturing processes probably mean a bit more dust floating around in our houses than in years past (although I do think it's better that industry incorporates as much recycling into their processes as possible!) - just another thought as to where some of that dust might be coming from :)

lapushka
December 20th, 2015, 07:06 AM
A bit off-topic but related - I was talking to my sister-in-law recently and she was telling me that she felt her house was dustier than it used to be years ago (and she's a very regular and thorough cleaner). I told her I'd noticed the same thing too and then told her my theory about paper products - tissues, toilet paper, paper towel, etc... those are all now manufactured with a high percentage of recycled fibre content, and are by nature far more linty than they used to be. The amount of dust that collects in my bathroom is higher than elsewhere in the house, and if you tear off a sheet of toilet paper in really bright sunlight you can see why - dustcloud, haha! So I believe current pulp and paper manufacturing processes probably mean a bit more dust floating around in our houses than in years past (although I do think it's better that industry incorporates as much recycling into their processes as possible!) - just another thought as to where some of that dust might be coming from :)

Trust me, it's clean around here. My mom vacuums and cleans like no tomorrow. :lol: Weekly and bathrooms even daily.

school of fish
December 20th, 2015, 07:16 AM
Trust me, it's clean around here. My mom vacuums and cleans like no tomorrow. :lol: Weekly and bathrooms even daily.

Oh my goodness, I'm not suggesting you're not keeping things clean!! I'm just refering to the amount of fibre particles floating in indoor spaces, I just think we all likely live with more of that than we used to :)

I clean regularly around here too and I'm still amazed at the fibre that collects behind the toilet roll holder even in the space of a day :)

lapushka
December 20th, 2015, 07:30 AM
Oh my goodness, I'm not suggesting you're not keeping things clean!! I'm just refering to the amount of fibre particles floating in indoor spaces, I just think we all likely live with more of that than we used to :)

I clean regularly around here too and I'm still amazed at the fibre that collects behind the toilet roll holder even in the space of a day :)

Oh don't worry, I didn't take offense, I just wanted to clarify. :) ;)

Amapola
December 20th, 2015, 07:39 AM
I have far less dust and lint in my hair since I started wearing it up... I wear it up at night too, and use a satin pillowcase.

There is a lot of dust in my house because 1. it's a farmhouse, and 2. we heat with a wood burning stove and those produce a lot of dust. And you should just see the barn... When I see how much dust has accumulated just over night, it makes sense to me that the dust is *also* falling on me all the time. There is just not as much surface area to trap it when my hair is up.

I'll also note that I detangle twice a day. You would probably astonished that I don't just have dust in my hair, there is quite a lot of hay! Like, ALL THE TIME! :mad: If I did not detangle I would probably be mistaken for a bale of hay! :lol:

school of fish
December 20th, 2015, 07:41 AM
Oh don't worry, I didn't take offense, I just wanted to clarify. :) ;)

Oh good! Offense was the last thing I intended - I am Canadian, after all... ;)

pailin
December 20th, 2015, 08:24 AM
I don't tend to notice the crud in my TT until I pull hairs out of it; that seems to loosen it up and make it visible. But if I look, it's there. So I usually wash it out at least once a week. Sometimes I only use combs to detangle, and they don't hold onto the crud like the TT or other brushes do. I think it is leave-ins and oils more than anything else though; I notice a difference according to how much of those I use. And when I experimented with only shampoo and mineral oil for a couple of days, that TT stayed clean (unfortunately it wasn't enough moisture for my hair though). I don't get much actual lint but...crud. I wash daily and detangle at least twice a day so I don't think it's just because you only detangle once a week, although maybe that's why you have more actual lint.

Anje
December 20th, 2015, 08:25 AM
Yep, I definitely get that, especially when I oil my hair. Usually it's manageable, but my towels are linty and I've got several fuzzy cats.

The worst of it has been associated with a certain chenille sweater of mine. I got sooooo much lint in my hair, washing couldn't get it all out. I had to BBB too, just to get it to manageable levels and keep it from tangling. I don't wear that sweater anymore!

lapushka
December 20th, 2015, 09:10 AM
Guys, I put a lot of gunk in my hair, 3 pumps of leave-in, a 2-eurocoin worth of gel (heaping), and 9 small pumps of serum (it pumps out a tiny amount) - so yeah, I'm betting the serum attracts a lot of... stuff. :)

Hairkay
December 20th, 2015, 09:15 AM
I only use a little oil on the ends. I expect sebum to also be enough to deal with my hair.

turtlelover
December 20th, 2015, 09:26 AM
I've never noticed the lint/dirt thing at all, but I don't understand how people can detangle once a week. My hair would look AWFUL and like a total rat's nest. What am I missing???? I could NOT go out in public w/out daily detangling!

EdG
December 20th, 2015, 09:49 AM
I could write a book on lint.

Lint is the biggest problem for my hair. Over time and many wash cycles, lint becomes wrapped around the hair strands. The lint is very hard to remove without breaking a few hairs. :(

I untangle twice daily. I am always removing lint strands from my comb.

The dust is dead skin cells. Those are not problematic for the hair, but tend to accumulate on the furniture. Vacuuming removes the dust from the floors and furniture. That's easier on the hair than more frequent washing (I wash once or twice a week).
Ed

Hurven
December 20th, 2015, 09:50 AM
The only product I use at the moment (except for shampoo and conditioner ;) ) is a coney hair oil which I mostly apply to my ends. My ends always seem to have dust in them, so in my case it's probably the hair oil. :P

lapushka
December 20th, 2015, 09:55 AM
Yeah, I'm officially blaming the serum. :) I won't stop using it, though. It's just a little odd to deal with stuff that collects in your combs (yes it sticks to my combs) and brush. Thank goodness it's a TT and resin/bone combs and easy to remove.

Gertrude
December 20th, 2015, 10:03 AM
There's always some. It collects in my Mason Pearson BBB. I don't brush for long twice a day. I get a lot with one leave in with oils and a 'cone in and not with a mucilage based leave in. So some leave ins do attract (-:

missblueeyes
December 20th, 2015, 10:11 AM
I honestly get that a lot. Everytime I clean my TT, the hair ball I collect from it looks grey-ish because of all the lint. I'm blaming all the leave-ins I use but that won't stop me from using them. It wasn't any different when I wore my hair up constantly to how it is now.

KittyBird
December 20th, 2015, 10:23 AM
Nope, not anymore. I used to have lots of lint and gunk in my hair when I used shampoo bars and sulfate shampoos, but I haven't had any problems with it since going sls/sles-free. I've also stopped doing CWC, I just shampoo and then condition. Don't know if that has anything to do with it, but I think I've seen it mentioned somewhere that CWC may cause lint and dust to attach itself to hair easier. Can't remember what thread it was though.

I still use oils and plenty of leave-ins, so those were obviously not the cause of the lint-issue for me. :)

Nadine <3
December 20th, 2015, 10:42 AM
Most of the dust I get is actually fuzzies from the absurd amount of fuzzy blankets and sweaters I seem to collect and hoard (I love me a good fuzzy blanket!) and cat hair. I have 4 cats running around, and even though they get thoroughly de shedded once a week and bathed monthly, the hair still gets lodged in mine. During winter I get some flakes from my scalp as well.

Summer time I never have a problem with dust or lint. All the fuzzy blankets are tucked away, no sweaters, and I oil my hair less so it attracts less.

truepeacenik
December 20th, 2015, 10:42 AM
Mine was a total lint magnet back when I was experimenting with oils and leave-ins. Even single drops of oil, serum or regular conditioner left in would attract dust like crazy, and interfere with detangling. At the time I was still using a BBB to smooth the strands and distribute oils, and I couldn't believe how much dust and lint would accumulate in the bristles!

This was back in the 'figuring it out' stage of establishing my routine. I searched the boards at the time and found lots of other people also finding that oils in particular seemed to attract lint.

I'm now a daily washer, regular detangler, and use no leave-ins at all, and it's no longer an issue for me at all. The acid rinse I use daily leaves my hair much more slippery than it used to be, so I think perhaps that helps to keep lint and such from sticking. I know you have a good routine established for yourself though and I'm sure wouldn't want to mess with it too much. Just letting you know about my own observations :)

I've been at far too many recycled paper talks than a sane person not in the industry should.
While the concept of short fiber is true for durable fibers, think sheets, it isn't necessarily so for non durable.
Paper prouducts are pressed, not woven. Whether the fibers are from sawdust pulp or used paper pulp, the process is the same.
Given the quality of woods used in virgin paper, pulp from recycled paper isn't more linty.
Maybe the thickness some brands are going to adds to lint.

In my massage room, the sheets are the second biggest factor, after the two humans in any session.

meteor
December 20th, 2015, 09:01 PM
The more hair I grew, the more dust/lint it could trap, naturally, especially if it's oiled. :)
All leave-ins, especially the ones heavy in oils, and all styling products (e.g. aloe, gels, styling creams...) exacerbate the issue noticeably.
The things that I think help a bit with the dust/lint magnet problem are:
- keeping hair up in compact styles as much as possible (and sleeping with hair contained and in silk bonnet/scarf);
- covering hair with silk scarves/hats/hoods/etc whenever possible, especially when it's windy outside or when I am cleaning around the house;
- being pretty minimalist with oils and all leave-in products;
- combing/brushing hair more frequently (it acts a bit like dry-cleaning).

littlestarface
December 20th, 2015, 09:53 PM
Yessssss my hair is a flippin lint trap like the dryer thingie. It just collects every dust in the house for some reason oiled or not :S My shed hair literally is nothing but lint n some hair. Too bad we cant run a lint brush over it hahaha

Robi-Bird
December 20th, 2015, 10:02 PM
I went looking for white dots and kept finding lit instead. I suppose it isn't a bad thing to not find the dreaded dots but there's sure a lot of lint hiding about.

Deborah
December 20th, 2015, 10:39 PM
I never find lint in my hair brush, but I don't put oil or serums or conditioners on my hair, so that is probably why.

trolleypup
December 20th, 2015, 10:50 PM
No oils, light conditioner...not too much dust and lint...and that is usually caught in my rougher worn ends...for maximum tangle factor.

lapushka
December 21st, 2015, 05:32 AM
That's odd, because I thought I posted this yesterday. :confused:

On this video, at 2.45 you can see what I mean by dust/lint (warning dirty brush):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-d_sMjhMvI

Kimberly
December 21st, 2015, 06:10 AM
My BBB gets so clogged with lint that it looks as if it is turning into a cat. I blame ... my cat!

Entangled
December 21st, 2015, 08:07 AM
I don't notice too much in my TT, but I notice quite a bit in my BBB when I use it. Problem is, I can't figure out how to get it out! I notice a difference between general gunk from my scalp (dead skin cells and the like) and lint. I also notice a lot of lint inside my tangles when I finger detangle, so I know the pesky lint is a perpetrator.

TrapperCreekD
December 22nd, 2015, 01:12 PM
FINALLY, my people! This is my hair to a tee. Every dust and dirt particle known to man, lint, dog/cat hair, and horse hair seems to find its way into my hair. Granted, we do live a dirty Victorian farm house with wood heat, but still! I comb out my hair nearly every day and it's usually up in a bun or braided bun, I cover it for dirty jobs, so how does this happen? I once found one of my Dad's gray 3b curls, before he cut, in my hair - we don't even use the same tools, I comb and he brushes (shudder:). It has gotten worse since I started taming my hair with with oils and other stuff but even before LHC when my hair was nekkid, I still had "dirty" hair.

sarah.j.xx
December 22nd, 2015, 10:02 PM
This happens to me too! I just detangled my hair after washing it this morning, and I notice a lot of dust/lint buildup on the comb afterwards (as well as a few dog hairs, haha).

spidermom
December 22nd, 2015, 10:17 PM
Oil is the worst dust/lint/garbage magnet for me, which is why I only use it the night before a planned wash. Other leave-ins had a similar effect but not a coney serum, which I use very sparingly.

Rebeccalaurenxx
January 9th, 2017, 12:52 PM
I have to revive this thread because this is an on going issue for me. Most tangles are caused by this. I run my fingers through and find these Velcro like ends, but once I've pulled them apart, there's a wad of dust in the center; a wad of dust that clearly caused this Velcro like knot.
I get them even when I don't oil and when I lightly oil. Any solution? I hate the way it feels...

vampyyri
January 9th, 2017, 02:32 PM
Yes... but instead of lint or dust it's cat hair... and it's not just in my hair, it's all over me at all times :lol:

Hairkay
January 9th, 2017, 03:52 PM
I'm still dealing with lint. I can get some out with preening but the last 3 inches of hair still have some there. I'm thinking of taking a brush to my hair ends to see if this will remove the last of it. I still have some clothing that needs extra lining to held reduce/stop this. I don't think lining my turtle neck jumpers' neck bits will work though. They're just so cosy to wear. Mostly my hair is up but at weekends my plaits/braids get left down so they'll pick up lint.

PrincessBob
January 9th, 2017, 11:19 PM
Ye gads, does my hair get lint, cat hair, and beard hairs all through it. I know some of that is me taking my hair down at bed time and co-sleeping with my cat and bearded spouse, but they she'd far more than seems possible. I occasionally oil my gair the night before a wash, oiling after turns it into an extra strong lint magnet. The core of most tangles I struggle with is a bit of lint or shed of some variety. I detangle almost daily and I wash weekly: condition length, shampoo on scalp, apple cider rinse, air-dry. No styling products used.

Rebeccalaurenxx
January 10th, 2017, 12:08 AM
Washing seems to be the only thing that removes the dust and lint... waaaah.

lapushka
January 10th, 2017, 04:00 AM
My TT takes it all out for me, before a wash. Then it's a thing of getting it all out from my TT. :lol:

Kiiruna
January 10th, 2017, 01:18 PM
My hair is such a dust magnet as well, it's super annoying!

littlestarface
January 10th, 2017, 01:22 PM
Hell washing doesn't even remove it from my hair, I just noticed last few times i've washed there's still flippin little white lint on my hair. Unless I Just live in a very linty house and it just gets magnetically pulled toward my hair even when it's clean.

Arctic
January 10th, 2017, 01:24 PM
Might be because I wash quite often, but I don't consider mine to be dusty. When I takes super closeup macro photos of my hair I can see some dust particles there, however, but they are not something I see with bare eyes and they are not numerous enough to cause tangles.

Hairkay
January 10th, 2017, 01:27 PM
Hell washing doesn't even remove it from my hair, I just noticed last few times i've washed there's still flippin little white lint on my hair. Unless I Just live in a very linty house and it just gets magnetically pulled toward my hair even when it's clean.

Washing never got mine out either. Dust can get washed out but lint caused from fibres just becomes clean lint in my hair. I'd have to use combs and brushes to remove it. I get some out by hand nowadays.

Rebeccalaurenxx
January 10th, 2017, 01:28 PM
My TT takes it all out for me, before a wash. Then it's a thing of getting it all out from my TT. :lol:

I spent a nice half hour cleaning my TT and oh my god SO MUCH GUNK. I clean it weekly but maybe I need to do it even more. My TT doesn't remove all the dust and lint sadly.. wish it did.

littlestarface
January 10th, 2017, 01:49 PM
Washing never got mine out either. Dust can get washed out but lint caused from fibres just becomes clean lint in my hair. I'd have to use combs and brushes to remove it. I get some out by hand nowadays.

Yea exactly clean lint lol, i try to remove by hand but nope I don't have patience enough for that.

lapushka
January 10th, 2017, 03:13 PM
I spent a nice half hour cleaning my TT and oh my god SO MUCH GUNK. I clean it weekly but maybe I need to do it even more. My TT doesn't remove all the dust and lint sadly.. wish it did.

My "gunk" gets mostly removed with the TT. Of course, there's always going to be the build-up you need to wash from your hair, which is only normal. At least it washes out for me. Phew. And then the next week, there's "new" lint. :lol:

Rhodugune
January 10th, 2017, 03:18 PM
My hair is real collector of both lint and cat hair, it has gotten worse the last few years since I started with leave in regularly and the LOC method.
It really feels like my brush gets equally full of hair and lint/cat hair.

Rebeccalaurenxx
January 10th, 2017, 03:41 PM
I guess this is another reason for me to not do the LOC method... I feel like all that product would collect so much dust and dirt. And thats what causes tangles for me!

DoomKitty
January 10th, 2017, 04:10 PM
DD's hair is the worst for lint...she's at BSL and even with it braided she picks up lint and cat hair contantly. We had one short hair and one long hair cat and I thought the amount of cat hair she collected was bad; we lost our long hair and adopted 2 long hair kittens so I hate to think how bad her hair is going to be once they're grown lol

Wavelength
January 10th, 2017, 04:15 PM
I don't seem to have this problem either, and my hair is past tailbone. Maybe it has something to do with excess static electricity in the air? It's winter here, but we run humidifiers 24/7 to combat the dry air that creates static. Also we have four cats (none of them longhair though).

Arctic
January 10th, 2017, 04:28 PM
My combs and brushes aren't never linty/gunky either.

Wavelength, how often you wash? BTW while I don't have humidifier, I tend to keep a water pot on low heat hours every day, and I dry laundry indoors, and I have plants, so all those things put some moisture in the air. My hair doesn't tend to be staticy.

Wavelength
January 10th, 2017, 05:25 PM
My combs and brushes aren't never linty/gunky either.

Wavelength, how often you wash? BTW while I don't have humidifier, I tend to keep a water pot on low heat hours every day, and I dry laundry indoors, and I have plants, so all those things put some moisture in the air. My hair doesn't tend to be staticy.

I wash about every 4-5 days, but usually only scalp washes (as in, I shampoo my scalp and let the suds run down the braided length). I do a full wash maybe every month or so.

thunderseed
January 10th, 2017, 07:29 PM
Oh yeah, my hair was a fluff ball magnet when I didn't brush it often enough. But now I brush it a few times daily, it doesn't happen anymore. I've also started washing my hair daily so that could be making a difference as well.

It still happens whenever I get sex hair. It becomes a giant rats nest with millions of fluff balls and takes me forever to detangle because the fluff balls get stuck around a hair follicle somehow, then the tangles get stuck to them.

Hairkay
January 11th, 2017, 10:31 AM
I don't seem to have this problem either, and my hair is past tailbone. Maybe it has something to do with excess static electricity in the air? It's winter here, but we run humidifiers 24/7 to combat the dry air that creates static. Also we have four cats (none of them longhair though).

I don't think it's static in my case. I don't keep my heating on too long and I have laundry that dries indoors. My hair is naturally clingy. It'll either cling onto something or something will cling onto it.

Decoy24601
January 11th, 2017, 10:34 AM
My hair is a dust and lint magnet even when it's 100% humidity here, which is fairly often.

I've come to accept it. I clean my Tangle Teezer every time I wash my hair.

Fimu
March 10th, 2017, 03:58 AM
My hair is tangle-prone, but I think that being a lint magnet is the main culprit. Though I have less lint when it's summer because don't wear knitwear that often then (and I'm more likely to wash my hair twice a week).

But I have curly hair, which means brushing/combing between washes causes my hair to frizz.
My hair takes forever to air-dry in the winter, and it takes up a lot of product, so I only wash it once a week. And my hair is quite dry and has a wiry texture, so I think my hair really needs leave-ins and oils for some slip.

How do other curlies deal with lint?

likelikepenny
March 10th, 2017, 05:13 AM
My hair is tangle-prone, but I think that being a lint magnet is the main culprit. Though I have less lint when it's summer because don't wear knitwear that often then (and I'm more likely to wash my hair twice a week).

But I have curly hair, which means brushing/combing between washes causes my hair to frizz.
My hair takes forever to air-dry in the winter, and it takes up a lot of product, so I only wash it once a week. And my hair is quite dry and has a wiry texture, so I think my hair really needs leave-ins and oils for some slip.

How do other curlies deal with lint?

Since I've been wearing my hair in slick buns, I don't have as much of a problem with it. If I see lint on top of my hair I just pick it out, which isn't very often.

PixieP
March 10th, 2017, 07:40 AM
Our apartment is very dusty. Due to my health issues I'm unable to do much housework, and husband works 100% and studies 50% and does all the grocery shopping, cooking, laundry and so on. Vacuuming often gets downpriotized and we haven't dusted in forever. I just don't have the energy and he doesn't have the time. So my hair does collect dust and lint and cathairs. I hadn't thought about that now that I've started finger combing, how to get that stuff out. I do use my TT before washing (once or twice a week) still, so that should take the worst still. I wash my TT once a week (husband uses it too), by pulling out all the hair, rinsing it, putting dish soap on it, and scrubbing it thoroughly with an old toothbrush. Removes all dust, lint, oils and whatever else!

Lauraes
March 10th, 2017, 09:36 AM
Once in a while I'll find lint stuck to my hair or my Tangle Teezer after brushing, but not very often.

ravenreed
March 15th, 2017, 03:08 PM
I don't usually have a lint problem because I wash often and avoid oils. I have had an unusually hard time this winter because I bought flannel sheets that are extra linty (but they are deliciously warm enough that I am keeping them!). I have been dealing with more tangles than normal and I am looking forward to the weather being nice enough to switch to my regular sheets.

Hairkay
March 15th, 2017, 03:37 PM
I don't usually have a lint problem because I wash often and avoid oils. I have had an unusually hard time this winter because I bought flannel sheets that are extra linty (but they are deliciously warm enough that I am keeping them!). I have been dealing with more tangles than normal and I am looking forward to the weather being nice enough to switch to my regular sheets.

I love flannel sheets in winter. I'd rather have that than to turn up heating some more. That was the main reason I finally started to wear a satin bonnet to bed. I want the cosiness without having so much lint in my hair.

Cg
March 15th, 2017, 04:00 PM
I love flannel sheets in winter. I'd rather have that than to turn up heating some more. That was the main reason I finally started to wear a satin bonnet to bed. I want the cosiness without having so much lint in my hair.

Yes, yes, yes!

EdG
March 16th, 2017, 09:11 PM
I replaced my flannel sheets with regular ones once they wore out. Flannel was a major source of lint.
Ed

lapushka
March 17th, 2017, 05:34 AM
It's a good thing I don't like flannel. My bedding is microfiber now (duvet cover and pillow case) and cotton (sheet + fitted sheet). I love it. It is nice and smooth. I have a few like that now. Got them at my local Aldi & Lidl for a nice price too. Love that!

I would like to put the microfiber pillow cases forward as the next best thing if you can't use satin or silk.

I still get lint. :lol: I don't know *how* I manage to do it! :p

meteor
March 17th, 2017, 09:52 AM
I still get lint. :lol: I don't know *how* I manage to do it! :p

Hmm, could be the oil rinse and the LOC? :hmm: I definitely got a lot more lint in hair when I oiled my hair, especially when I oiled it post-wash.
I still love oils and the leave-ins, but the fear of attracting that lint or dust is keeping me from using that stuff, especially since I don't like washing too frequently.

I also find I get less stuff stuck in my hair if I'm careful to wear silk scarves if I'm doing any work around the house or cover hair if I pass by a construction area outside, etc...

Fia
March 17th, 2017, 10:03 AM
I also saw a lot more lint and dust collecting in my hair when I used oils. They created a stickiness in my hair that attracted little bits and pieces that got stuck in there and started forming tangles around them. For my own hair a light cone-serum is a better alternative to create slip and avoid tangling.

lapushka
March 17th, 2017, 11:07 AM
Hmm, could be the oil rinse and the LOC? :hmm: I definitely got a lot more lint in hair when I oiled my hair, especially when I oiled it post-wash.
I still love oils and the leave-ins, but the fear of attracting that lint or dust is keeping me from using that stuff, especially since I don't like washing too frequently.

I also find I get less stuff stuck in my hair if I'm careful to wear silk scarves if I'm doing any work around the house or cover hair if I pass by a construction area outside, etc...

Yes that could be it. I'm still not prepared to give up my way of styling though, because it keeps my ends/lengths moisturized the entire week; so yeah, you have to try and balance it out some. There are times I don't use an oil rinse and I still get the same amount of lint.

ArienEllariel
March 17th, 2017, 12:18 PM
My hair traps lint like crazy. Rather annoying.

Rebeccalaurenxx
March 17th, 2017, 01:09 PM
Yup! Since switching back to cones I hardly have this issue anymore. When I do, it has something to do with the cats... lol

Arctic
March 17th, 2017, 01:38 PM
I wash so often I don't have this problem.

Wildcat Diva
November 19th, 2018, 09:38 AM
I just finished a couple of days wearing my hair down at the Renaissance Festival and had my wool Earasaid up over my head and against brushing my hair. Lint city and detangling purgatory today. Not sure it was worth it.

lapushka
November 19th, 2018, 09:44 AM
Yikes! :) Hope you get it all out fine.

leayellena
November 20th, 2018, 12:28 AM
my hair is like yours lapushka, but only when I used shampoo. when I co-wash I never get this problem.

lapushka
November 22nd, 2018, 04:41 PM
Well I can't CO-wash due to a finicky scalp, so there's that. :)

Synester
November 26th, 2018, 09:47 PM
My hair has been so full of LINT lately. what causes that? I think its causing my tangles. what causes this and how to change it up.
Im not a fan out my head being a lint magnet.
Does anyone else have this problem?

Groovy Granny
November 26th, 2018, 09:57 PM
Oils and serums can attract lint, especially in the colder/drier air.
I see it all the time on my BBB....and yes, for some it can cause tangles!

Synester
November 26th, 2018, 10:34 PM
Hmm i dont use serums and im very light on the oils because my hair is so fine. wonder what im doing wrong lol

Jo Ann
November 26th, 2018, 10:47 PM
I get it from my clothing, my bed covers, towels, upholstery...I also suspect my cat, but I'm still investigating that one... https://illiweb.com/fa/i/smiles/suspect.gif

Lady Stardust
November 27th, 2018, 01:11 AM
Hmm i dont use serums and im very light on the oils because my hair is so fine. wonder what im doing wrong lol

Even the tiniest dab of oil will make my hair linty, unless I use the Rinse Out Oil method. It’s like magic, soft hair and no more lint :) Here’s a link to Lapushka’s thread https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=129191

Joules
November 27th, 2018, 01:45 AM
I find the biggest amount of lint in my hair when I'm straight out of the shower with freshly washed hair. I'd be applying my leave-ins and my hands would be disgustingly covered in that stuff. When my hair is dry, there's no lint. It's the weirdest thing in the world.

Hailwidis
November 27th, 2018, 03:19 AM
I always get a tiny bit of lint in my hair, but that amount suddenly shot up when I started using a different conditioner (the hello hydration conditioner which everyone seemed to love on here at the time). It took me a long time to figure it out, but the conditioner was leaving a slight coating residue on my lengths which was catching all the lint. So, have you changed hair products recently? It could be that they are leaving a bit more of a residue on your hair. Try a clarifying shampoo and see if your hair retains less lint afterwards. That's how I figured my episode out.

HaMalka
November 27th, 2018, 04:16 AM
I get lint in my hair whenever I use flannel sheets regardless of oils. If you use flannel sheets you might want to switch at least your pillowcase for something smoother. I just don't care about it enough to stop using flannel which I think is so warm and comfy.

spitfire511
November 27th, 2018, 06:18 AM
Yup we have one blanket here that leaves lint on everything it touches - it's lovely fuzzy soft but good grief. But that means even if I don't use it and it's been sit-in non the couch, it transfers. I've resigned myself to dealing with it in the colder months because there are too many sources and my hair needs the slip of leave-ins usually.

lapushka
November 27th, 2018, 07:01 AM
There's a thread on this already that you might want to read through:
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=135544

EdG
November 27th, 2018, 07:23 AM
I have been battling lint like crazy. :luke:

Lint is a very serious hazard to long hair. Airborne lint settles in the hair, becomes wrapped around the hairs during washing, and causes tangles. Lint tangles can persist for long periods of time (years).

Unfortunately, there are many sources of lint, and direct contact with the hair is not needed because lint easily becomes airborne. All horizontal surfaces in my house collect lint.

The best thing a longhaired person can do is to keep lint from accumulating in the hair. One's detangling routine needs to be effective in removing lint. This means having enough slip, combing from all angles (always away from the root), and frequently cleaning one's comb.

I find the biggest amount of lint in my hair when I'm straight out of the shower with freshly washed hair. I'd be applying my leave-ins and my hands would be disgustingly covered in that stuff. When my hair is dry, there's no lint. It's the weirdest thing in the world.I have the same problem.

The reason is that the lint is already wrapped around the hair. Washing loosens the sebum so that the lint can be combed out. Once dry, the sebum hardens and acts like glue (with lint as a reinforcement). Dry sebum and lint are very difficult to comb out.
Ed

Joules
November 27th, 2018, 09:08 AM
The reason is that the lint is already wrapped around the hair. Washing loosens the sebum so that the lint can be combed out. Once dry, the sebum hardens and acts like glue (with lint as a reinforcement). Dry sebum and lint are very difficult to comb out.
Ed

I don't think that's the case with me, since I use sulfate shampoos regularly. So I'm still baffled :confused:

EdG
November 27th, 2018, 09:58 AM
I don't think that's the case with me, since I use sulfate shampoos regularly. So I'm still baffled :confused:Okay, you know your hair and I know mine. :)

I have been combing out pieces of lint that could only have come from clothing that I no longer own. i am amazed by how long lint can stay in hair. :thud:
Ed

EdG
December 1st, 2018, 11:07 AM
Here is a macro photo of this morning's comb-out. The photo clearly shows lint wrapped around the hair. This had accumulated over a long period of time. The lint stayed in the hair because the hair was folded over itself.

https://www.edgrochowski.com/photos-lhc/lint-12-1-18.jpg

Some of the lint (i.e the large balls) may have been sitting on the bathroom floor and got swept up along with the shed hair. I last cleaned the floor a few days ago.
Ed

Beckstar
December 1st, 2018, 12:57 PM
I get dust and lint when I use oils in my hair. Maybe it sticks to them better?

EdG
December 1st, 2018, 01:08 PM
Beckstar - I believe it is true that oils attract dust and lint, but oils also enable any lint already in the hair to be combed out. When I switched to water-only washing 2.5 years ago, the amount of lint that I comb out went up 10x.
Ed

Cg
December 1st, 2018, 03:25 PM
Here is a macro photo of this morning's comb-out. The photo clearly shows lint wrapped around the hair. This had accumulated over a long period of time. The lint stayed in the hair because the hair was folded over itself.

https://www.edgrochowski.com/photos-lhc/lint-12-1-18.jpg

Some of the lint (i.e the large balls) may have been sitting on the bathroom floor and got swept up along with the shed hair. I last cleaned the floor a few days ago.
Ed

After seeing this, I will never be concerned about the lint I find -- maybe three or four tiny bits during a fortnight, and always only one at the end of a group of strands. As I mentioned in the other thread, I get those pieces of lint only in cold weather when I wear sweaters or other fuzzy materials. Sometimes it's really hard to separate every hair out of the knot and I end up snapping off a few strands. I oil summer and winter, so oil isn't part of my equation.

lapushka
December 1st, 2018, 03:50 PM
Ed that's a lot of lint!

It doesn't get that crazy over here with the lint. The knots that I have, BTW, aren't due to lint, it is literally hair wrapped all around itself and I have fingertip thick knots! Not kidding!

EdG
December 1st, 2018, 04:48 PM
Cg, lapushka - I think the crucial difference is in the effectiveness of one's detangling routine at removing lint. People whose detangling routine removes lint faster than it settles in the hair are fine. People whose detangling routine removes lint slower than it settles eventually end up with the disaster in the photo.

lapushka - I am now leery of hair that stays wrapped around itself. This is a sign of a problem (i.e. something is holding the hair together). Have you tried to undo the knots?
Ed

lapushka
December 1st, 2018, 05:06 PM
Cg, lapushka - I think the crucial difference is in the effectiveness of one's detangling routine at removing lint. People whose detangling routine removes lint faster than it settles in the hair are fine. People whose detangling routine removes lint slower than it settles eventually end up with the disaster in the photo.

lapushka - I am now leery of hair that stays wrapped around itself. This is a sign of a problem (i.e. something is holding the hair together). Have you tried to undo the knots?
Ed

Yep, I have finger detangled every day this week, slowly unraveling them. I think I just need to go back to my staple (good) conditioners! I have been using stuff up left & right (a lot of it silicone-free) and I think my hair doesn't like it one bit.

EdG
December 1st, 2018, 05:22 PM
Yep, I have finger detangled every day this week, slowly unraveling them. I think I just need to go back to my staple (good) conditioners! I have been using stuff up left & right (a lot of it silicone-free) and I think my hair doesn't like it one bit.It's cool that your knots can slowly be unraveled. I have been doing that to my mats so that the hair can grow normally. :thumbsup:
Ed

lapushka
December 2nd, 2018, 04:09 AM
It's cool that your knots can slowly be unraveled. I have been doing that to my mats so that the hair can grow normally. :thumbsup:
Ed

Yep, at least there's hope, right? LOL! I was a little careless at the start of the week though, and might have broken some hair in the process of getting them looser. They loosened up as the week went on... and from finger detangling day after day. It's not that I could get them all out in one go. It took days.

EdG
December 2nd, 2018, 09:20 AM
Yep, at least there's hope, right? LOL! I was a little careless at the start of the week though, and might have broken some hair in the process of getting them looser. They loosened up as the week went on... and from finger detangling day after day. It's not that I could get them all out in one go. It took days.Yes, the lint is removable, but doing so may take a long time (years). The bright side is that the hair is constantly replacing itself, and so the hair will eventually win. :)

ETA: The badly matted section of my hair (about 20%) had no hairs survive. The other 80% had random breakage. I still have long hair. :)
Ed

lapushka
December 2nd, 2018, 09:33 AM
Yes, the lint is removable, but doing so may take a long time (years). The bright side is that the hair is constantly replacing itself, and so the hair will eventually win. :)

ETA: The badly matted section of my hair (about 20%) had no hairs survive. The other 80% had random breakage. I still have long hair. :)
Ed

Yes, let's not get hung up over a tiny bit of breakage, not me, not you. It's not my style either, it just happened. :flower: What's done = done; right?

EdG
December 2nd, 2018, 09:42 AM
Yes, let's not get hung up over a tiny bit of breakage, not me, not you. It's not my style either, it just happened. :flower: What's done = done; right?I am not worried because the breakage will grow out in 1-1.5 years. That is like a blink of an eye to a time traveler. ;)
Ed

lapushka
December 2nd, 2018, 10:40 AM
I am not worried because the breakage will grow out in 1-1.5 years. That is like a blink of an eye to a time traveler. ;)
Ed

Aw you made me smile. Thank you! :D

EdG
December 3rd, 2018, 08:53 AM
Aw you made me smile. Thank you! :DMy entire purpose of posting here is to make people laugh. My posts are always 100% factual and 99% ridiculous. :rollin:
Ed

lapushka
December 3rd, 2018, 08:59 AM
LOL! Ed! :lol:

Anyway, my HG conditioner (Herbal Essences Hello Hydration) helped because: no knots this week. It's "magic" in a bottle that thing!

EdG
December 3rd, 2018, 09:05 AM
LOL! Ed! :lol:

Anyway, my HG conditioner (Herbal Essences Hello Hydration) helped because: no knots this week. It's "magic" in a bottle that thing!That's cool. Since the knots are gone, they are not likely caused by lint. Lint tangles persist through many washing/untangling cycles.
Ed

lapushka
December 3rd, 2018, 09:57 AM
That's cool. Since the knots are gone, they are not likely caused by lint. Lint tangles persist through many washing/untangling cycles.
Ed

Yeah, I thought as much. I have been using a lot of products up and not putting my HG conditioner into the mix, and I fear those conditioners or masks were way too light to deal with my dry lengths (I have dry lengths so that doesn't help matters).

But appreciate the help!