PDA

View Full Version : Bad Haircut Progress! 7 Months

HollyLindsey
December 18th, 2015, 12:48 AM
7 months ago I went to the hair salon for the first time in years with scraggly unkept layered belly button length hair that was in desperate need of a chop. Got it cut off a bit above BSL and it looked great! It wasn't the exact cut I had asked for but it was pretty close. Still, I noticed some leftover damage. Although it was mostly healthy, I wanted the ends to look fuller and assure I had no split ends. Went in for another cut and asked for shoulder length hair with NO layers or thinning. About an hour later I walked out with a hunk of layers above my eyebrow (9 inches shorter than I asked for). The bottom layers were neck length.

Here is my growth 7 months post chop. The shortest layers are now ear length. It still looks like a mullet. :( Plus, my hair is naturally thin, making it pretty fragile. So where the hairdresser used thinning scissors, is where it is splitting. I want to invest in a solid pair of scissors for At home cuts. Any recommendations? I don't want some cheap scissors that'll make my hair worse.

Grrrr... Anyways, could use some inspiration. Has anybody else had a similar cut? How long did it take for it to look "normal?"

My first goal is at least shoulder or APL with no layers and a blunt cut. Then, I'd like to grow to hip length.

Here's a picture taken today of my hair: http://s1067.photobucket.com/user/hlm196/media/Photo%20on%2012-18-15%20at%2012.44%20AM%203_zpsakmd4ghf.jpg.html?filt ers[user]=144450262&filters[recent]=1&filters[publicOnly]=1&sort=1&o=0

HollyLindsey
December 18th, 2015, 01:07 AM
Sorry that link didn't work, let's try this: http://hlm196.imgur.com/all/

Zindell
December 18th, 2015, 02:26 AM
Sorry that link didn't work, let's try this: http://hlm196.imgur.com/all/

"hlm196's images are not publicly available."

... asked for shoulder length hair with NO layers or thinning. About an hour later I walked out with a hunk of layers above my eyebrow

I'm just wondering what is going through a hairdressers head when they do the opposite of what people ask for. This happened so many times to myself and I will never ever go to a hair salon again. It's been at least 10 years since my last visit. Love Feye's Hair Trimming methods. :o

Sorry, no advice about scissors, I'll let others answer that one.
(I do use special "hair scissors", but the cheap kind. They tend to work fine for me).

pailin
December 18th, 2015, 03:03 AM
I can certainly see the layers, and since you're that long post - bad haircut, it must been bad. At any rate, it looks like you're growing well.
You should definitely invest in a good pair of hair cutting scissors for s&d, but I can't speak to brands, as they won't be the same here anyway.

TR
December 18th, 2015, 08:00 AM
I have a fantastic pair of tweezerman brand scissors from Amazon. They even came with a hard plastic clamshell case to protect them. Tweezerman offers free lifetime sharpening, which I believe includes them shipping the sharpened scissors back; the customer just has to pay to ship the scissors to Tweezerman.

Aingeal
December 18th, 2015, 09:21 AM
I'm recovering from a horrible cut from last March too. I waited four months and went to an amazing stylist who fixed the problems. I ended up with super short hair (about ear length curly, chin stretched), but it was a fun cut to grow out. I'm not back to the length I was at before the bad cut (a bit past collar bone stretched). It just took some patience those first few months (along with a lot of tears!) Good luck!!!

Llama
December 18th, 2015, 10:43 AM
Can't see the picture, just getting a message that says "hlm196's images are not publicly available"

HollyLindsey
December 18th, 2015, 10:53 AM
Picture should be public now!

chen bao jun
December 18th, 2015, 04:05 PM
You are making progress.

Hairdressers like this (okay, I know everyone will pop in now and say that they aren't all like this, but the ones that are..)

I don't really have words. It makes me mad every time I see it. One did this to me just in time for my wedding. After the wedding I cut all the layers off--a nd had a pixie. Grrr.

Once I was on a website where there was a hairdresser giving advice to other hairdressers and he (it was a he) actually SAID to give clients 'what will look good on them, not what they think they want.' He said the hairdresser was the professional and a client who went around with hair that didn't suit them saying that the hairdresser had done that would lose them future clients.

Grr.

Obsessed1
December 18th, 2015, 06:52 PM
I recently got a haircut and my layers are 5 inches shorter than the rest of my hair which creates an odd shape when curly and makes my ends look thinner. I only agreed to graduating the front of my hair (as that area is fried) and not layers all through. Can't believe they cut yours eyebrow length, what is wrong with people?? Well it looks like it's grown a LOT in 7 months. Doesn't look bad or unusual or anything, just looks like layers. I'm sick of layers on myself, going to grow them out. I thought it might help with the damage my hair has since they cut parts shorter but my layers feel as dry and wiry and stringy as my ends so it's pointless to me

SwanFeathers
December 19th, 2015, 06:47 AM
I think longlocks.com has some scissor suggestions

HollyLindsey
December 19th, 2015, 10:25 PM
I have a fantastic pair of tweezerman brand scissors from Amazon. They even came with a hard plastic clamshell case to protect them. Tweezerman offers free lifetime sharpening, which I believe includes them shipping the sharpened scissors back; the customer just has to pay to ship the scissors to Tweezerman.

Thanks, I'm going to check tweezerman out! I've heard good things about their tweezers too, haha! :)

HollyLindsey
December 19th, 2015, 10:29 PM
"hlm196's images are not publicly available."

I'm just wondering what is going through a hairdressers head when they do the opposite of what people ask for. This happened so many times to myself and I will never ever go to a hair salon again. It's been at least 10 years since my last visit. Love Feye's Hair Trimming methods. :o

Sorry, no advice about scissors, I'll let others answer that one.
(I do use special "hair scissors", but the cheap kind. They tend to work fine for me).

The best lesson I've learned about this experience was that I will forever be doing home haircuts now!!! And finding this website has been amazing, so much helpful information!

HollyLindsey
December 19th, 2015, 10:37 PM
I'm recovering from a horrible cut from last March too. I waited four months and went to an amazing stylist who fixed the problems. I ended up with super short hair (about ear length curly, chin stretched), but it was a fun cut to grow out. I'm not back to the length I was at before the bad cut (a bit past collar bone stretched). It just took some patience those first few months (along with a lot of tears!) Good luck!!!

Thank you! I'm sorry you're dealing with recovering from a bad cut. I myself have been debating cutting some layers off, but they're 8 inches apart so I haven't got the courage to do it.

HollyLindsey
December 19th, 2015, 10:47 PM
I recently got a haircut and my layers are 5 inches shorter than the rest of my hair which creates an odd shape when curly and makes my ends look thinner. I only agreed to graduating the front of my hair (as that area is fried) and not layers all through. Can't believe they cut yours eyebrow length, what is wrong with people?? Well it looks like it's grown a LOT in 7 months. Doesn't look bad or unusual or anything, just looks like layers. I'm sick of layers on myself, going to grow them out. I thought it might help with the damage my hair has since they cut parts shorter but my layers feel as dry and wiry and stringy as my ends so it's pointless to me

I totally understand! My layers are 8 inches apart when parted to the side, and 6 inches apart when parted in the middle.
I also have that problem where my ends look thinner. My layers are now somewhere between ear and jaw length depending on where I part it. It grows the average 1/2 inch a month. Luckily, I'm really short so it tends to look longer faster! I wish you lots of luck when growing out your hair! We are definitely in the same boat!

HollyLindsey
December 19th, 2015, 11:00 PM
You are making progress.

Hairdressers like this (okay, I know everyone will pop in now and say that they aren't all like this, but the ones that are..)

I don't really have words. It makes me mad every time I see it. One did this to me just in time for my wedding. After the wedding I cut all the layers off--a nd had a pixie. Grrr.

Once I was on a website where there was a hairdresser giving advice to other hairdressers and he (it was a he) actually SAID to give clients 'what will look good on them, not what they think they want.' He said the hairdresser was the professional and a client who went around with hair that didn't suit them saying that the hairdresser had done that would lose them future clients.

Grr.

Thank you! I'm sorry that happened to you before your wedding, but looking at your profile picture, I think your hair looks really pretty! I love the accessories you've put in it too. And I can't believe a hair dresser said that!