PDA

View Full Version : Would it be possible to temporarily dye my hair red?

Amahaitz
December 17th, 2015, 07:51 AM
This is my current hair color--or I should say, colors. It's tailbone-length and mostly natural now (a blend of silver, grey, white, blonde, ash-brown, golden-brown, and reddish-brown), which is what I always thought I wanted. I do like it, but I have always LOVED dark red hair. I have toyed with the idea of dyeing it on and off for years. So what I am wondering is--is there any dye that is truly temporary? Would red look bizarre on me? Would it even work to dye hair that's this many different colors?

mindwiped
December 17th, 2015, 08:59 AM
ok, so I used to use a rinse, but the reds with it don't impress me. I looked on Sally's website, and here are a few reds that look intriguing:

http://www.sallybeauty.com/temporary-hair-color/SBS-320940,default,pd.html I'm not quite sure about this one, but it might work. reviews are very mixed...either they love it, or despise it

http://www.sallybeauty.com/temporary-haircolor/SBS-553008,default,pd.html This one appears to be semi- permanent, but they've reviewed it favorably

http://www.sallybeauty.com/color-rinse/SBS-700323,default,pd.html-this is the one i've used in the past, but the red color I loved isn't there anymore (this was back in the '90s, so no clue when it went away.) This really is a one wash color.

Chocowalnut
December 17th, 2015, 10:16 AM
You could use manic panic vampire red. It would probably show up well on your light hair colors. It is temporary (washes out in a few weeks or so, depending on your hair and how often you wash). There's always a chance a slight tone of red could possibly remain, though. So maybe do a test strand first.

pastina
December 17th, 2015, 10:23 AM
Honestly, if you want it completely gone, I wouldn't do Manic Panic-- there's too much of a chance of staining. Jazzing washes out completely in a few washes. So does the Beyond the Zone (http://www.sallybeauty.com/wild-haircolor/BTZ12,default,pd.html#start=10) stuff. <--I used the red from the Beyond the Zone line for Halloween one year and it was 100% gone in less than a week.

spidermom
December 17th, 2015, 12:08 PM
Personally I would use Manic Panic if I wanted the color to last for awhile. It will gradually fade away over several months. The less length of time it stays on your hair, the less long it lasts. I like long-lasting color, so I usually leave it in my hair all day or all night when I use it.

lunasea
December 17th, 2015, 12:26 PM
Honestly, if you want it completely gone, I wouldn't do Manic Panic-- there's too much of a chance of staining. Jazzing washes out completely in a few washes. So does the Beyond the Zone (http://www.sallybeauty.com/wild-haircolor/BTZ12,default,pd.html#start=10) stuff. <--I used the red from the Beyond the Zone line for Halloween one year and it was 100% gone in less than a week.

This is intriguing! I wonder if the violet would wash out that fast. How many times did you wash it before it came out? Did you have to use any special shampoo?

Exodus
December 17th, 2015, 12:57 PM
You could use manic panic vampire red. It would probably show up well on your light hair colors. It is temporary (washes out in a few weeks or so, depending on your hair and how often you wash). There's always a chance a slight tone of red could possibly remain, though. So maybe do a test strand first.

My personal experince is that the only way to get Vampire Red out of my hair is scissors. Not joking. Have tried it twice, first time I just let it be, it never washed out, I grew tired of it after TWO YEARS and cut it off. Second time I tried everything under the sun to get it out, used eight months, not even bleach made it budge, ended up dying it over. And I'm not the only one with this experience. For most people it does last just 2-4 moths though, but I would be very careful with that particular color (same goes for Vampire's Kiss).

pastina
December 17th, 2015, 01:54 PM
Yeah, I'm with Exodus here. Manic Panic (and Special FX) reds and pinks can be basically permanent. If that's what you're looking for, cool! But if you want your color on a trial basis and you want it to wash out completely, I'd go with the weaker stuff I mentioned.

Lunasea, it was almost ten years ago, admittedly, so I'm not sure what shampoo I was using at the time. But I was in college, so it wasn't anything fancy. At that time I was washing my hair every other day at the most. I remember I'd made the mistake of using the red Beyond the Zone dye the weekend before Halloween when I didn't have class, and it had faded SO MUCH that I needed to reapply the night before.

So, let's call it, two washes for significant fade, maybe five for it to be completely gone?

Chocowalnut
December 17th, 2015, 02:01 PM
My personal experince is that the only way to get Vampire Red out of my hair is scissors. Not joking. Have tried it twice, first time I just let it be, it never washed out, I grew tired of it after TWO YEARS and cut it off. Second time I tried everything under the sun to get it out, used eight months, not even bleach made it budge, ended up dying it over. And I'm not the only one with this experience. For most people it does last just 2-4 moths though, but I would be very careful with that particular color (same goes for Vampire's Kiss).

Interesting. It washed out of mine in a few weeks. But everyone's hair is different. I'd definitely do a test strand no matter what.

lunasea
December 17th, 2015, 02:11 PM
Thanx Pastina! I'd love to put some exotic color on the damaged (bleached) tips of my hair that I could tuck under at work and wash out if I didn't like.

adrenaline
December 17th, 2015, 03:19 PM
I think red colour particles never completely leave your hair :( They always remain although the colour bleaches out with time ofc (so you still have a reddish shimmer even if you stopped dyeing). So, no, it is not possible to dye the hair in red colours temporarily. My recommendation: try out different dye brands on a single strand and observe how the colour changes with time. If you really really want red hair, just do it, but remember that you probably need to grow out the colour if you dont want to dye them anymore :(

CatsAndCoffee
December 17th, 2015, 05:46 PM
I have to warn against red if you're not willing to do some sort of colour removing process to get it all out/you aren't wanting to keep it long term.

Red are some of the hardest colours to keep fresh yet, ironically, are also the hardest to get to leave the hair completely. They love to leave little orangey, pinkish traces in the hair and can be super persistant.

I definitely say no Manic Panic if you're planning on completely getting rid of it. They're dyes are nice but the reds and blues stain like crazy. It's not an issue as long as you're refreshing the colour or switching to new non-natural colours, but trying to get to your underlying shade can be a beast.

Zebra Fish
December 18th, 2015, 02:34 AM
Another vote for "be careful with Manic Panic". I was using it 2 yrs ago (vampire red) and it is still in my hair. I henna so I don't mind the deep red tint it gives to the ends, but it never washed completely. And if that is your wish, maybe MP is not the best option. Other than that, it leaves the hair nice and conditioned.

pailin
December 18th, 2015, 03:27 AM
Since you're not sure if it will look good on you, I would start with the ones mentioned above that tend to wash out faster than manic panic. Then strand test, and maybe wait to give your test strands a couple washes to see if it does wash out. If you're not sure the color will suit you, I'd definitely avoid anything that can last even a month or more.
If you have any interest in dying your ends, you might also try that before doing your whole head. That would tell you how the dye behaves on your hair. And if you hated it, you could hide it.