PDA

View Full Version : Flyaway/Frizzy Hairs... Help?

Frankenstein
December 16th, 2015, 09:27 PM
A few months ago, I noticed I had a ton of these shorter hairs. They end at ear/neck level and although you might not be able to tell from the pics, they FLIP outwards, Farrah Fawcett-style. At first I thought they might be old breakage from when I wore ponytails every day but could they also be newer growth? The ends of the hairs are hard to see but I think they may be a little tapered. In any case, they really bother me because they make my hair look so frizzy and will not be tamed. I've tried silicone conditioners, deep treatments, serums, oils, satin bonnett but nothing makes them look manageable and they're always there sticking out like little demons. It may sound silly but I really hate the way this looks and it's caused me to not even really enjoy wearing my hair down anymore. Does anyone have ideas about if they're breakage or new growth? And has anyone else ever had this problem?

They're hard to photograph; this was the best I could do. They are much more prominent in person and the camera didn't capture just how much they flip/stick out.

http://s1.postimg.org/7bjftnq2n/Picture1216151949_1.jpg (http://postimage.org/)

http://s3.postimg.org/7odhr2gdv/Picture1216151952_1.jpg (http://postimage.org/)

http://s30.postimg.org/5670ho6up/Picture1216151953_1.jpg (http://postimage.org/)

Robi-Bird
December 16th, 2015, 10:01 PM
Yep. I have this problem too. The worst suckered curl nice and right just to make it more ridiculous. I suspect it's new growth since they are random lengths and locations. They poof much more in the winter for me and sadly I haven't been all that successful in taming them. Gel works but I don't like the feeling.

Obsessed1
December 16th, 2015, 10:14 PM
I have them everywhere but when you have quite wavy/curly hair, they stick outwards or even vertical. Some will always be new growth, for me I also have loafs of breakage

diddiedaisy
December 17th, 2015, 02:24 AM
I have these from top to bottom. As a wavy there seems to be no flattening them out. If you have straight hair though a teeny bit of oil smoothed over your hair might help.

Estrid
December 17th, 2015, 02:28 AM
I agree with the oil-tip, I usually used oil or a silicone serum to smooth out my hair. Lately my hair has become *the* frizzbomb, so now it no longer works x) but yeah, I think it could work fine for you :)

/Margo

StellaKatherine
December 17th, 2015, 07:17 AM
I have same thing and all over my head as well.... This is why my braids look smooth for maximum 30 minutes :D And then people come and say, that I should brush my hair and redo my braid....... yeah, sure.... :D Oiling just makes my hair look so flat and thin....

TR
December 17th, 2015, 07:45 AM
I had that problem at longer lengths (it's pixie at the moment) and because the rest of my hair tends to lay smooth and shiny and straight I feel as if the crazy short ones are really obvious. I've had long damaged hair and long undamaged hair; the halo was worse on damaged but still present on healthy hair. For updos I could mostly tame them by gently smoothing them with a damp toothbrush. When my hair was down I would just periodically wet my hands and smooth them down. Frankly it's one reason I tend to cut back my hair when it gets long, I just get tired of dealing with those hairs that stick out everywhere and make me feel sloppy. I think this time when my hair gets long enough to have the halo I will experiment more with gels to see if I can tame the wild ones, and work on accepting the look as well, I think this is just a normal thing for long hair, and I've been overly conditioned by photoshopped ads with not a single hair out of place. I've got this mistaken idea that healthy hair doesn't have many flyaways and if I have flyaways it must mean damage. Silly, since I examine the shorter hairs and they are obviously perfectly healthy new growth.

Mavi
December 17th, 2015, 07:58 AM
Those flyways and frizzes are the story of my life! All around my neck and shoulder area. Part of it can be attributed to the fact that my fringe is growing out and is approximately that length now, but I think the majority of it is due to ponytail tie damage. I used hair ties to hold up buns all day every day. Even worse than that, every day after showering I used to brush my hair while wet, then put it in a ponytail on the left side, and twist it so that my curly hair would form bigger ringlets instead of the tight-ish ones I usually have. I would sleep like this, I have seen a lot of damage as a result.
The other day I wore two braids and by the time I was done work at the end of the day it was an absolute mess, It looked like I had more breakage than regular hair!
I have now sworn off of ponytail elastics for 2016, call it my new years resolution. I realistically know that the only way to rid myself of these hairs is to pay special attention to making sure they grow out and that more aren't added to the collection.

Swan Maiden
December 17th, 2015, 08:48 AM
It looks like regrowth. I have the same problem with my regrowth making my hair look frizzy. It's frustrating. I try to keep my hair up or in a braid. Silicone serum or an oil helps me, so does misting my hair. Really, all you can do is wait for it to become longer so it won't stick out.

Arctic
December 17th, 2015, 09:12 AM
http://thebeautydepartment.com/2013/05/tried-true-flyaway-trick/

Anje
December 17th, 2015, 11:11 AM
Yup, my hair LOVES to do that. Somehow, the first maybe 4 inches a hair grows for me are also a bit on the curly side (not super curly, but the curl diameter is in the 2c-3a range), and then the hair grows in halfhearted waves after that. So I get these little loopy sproingy tapered hairs sticking out everywhere, as a permanent feature.

What do I do about it? Nothing. I wear my hair up or in a braid most days. As it's somewhere in the classic/middle of my hands neighborhood, it's rather a lot of trouble to wear my hair loose, so I just don't stress about it. My hair will do what it does, and I doubt that fighting it is going to change that.

nalgena
December 17th, 2015, 03:33 PM
I've got that too, only much worse! I just took a length photo of my hair the other day and it seems like I've got tons of flyaways. It has been like this ever since my hair is past shoulder length. I've tried everything too, but nothing seems to work, so I accepted it. I'm hoping it will get better once I cut off the dyed part of my hair.

Sarahlabyrinth
December 17th, 2015, 04:51 PM
I have tons of these, new growth hairs. I love'em! ;) New hairs coming to join in the fun :) I just leave mine alone. My hair is mostly up anyhow...

CatsAndCoffee
December 17th, 2015, 06:09 PM
My hair is the queen of flyaways. Some of it is breakage due to damage, some of it is that I just have ultra fine hair that breaks easily and just doesn't like to sit down. There's not a childhood picture of me that doesn't include a few blond pieces glinting a few inches away from my head.

If I'm doing it for something important, I'll spray a tooth brush with some hairspray and smooth the hairs down, then finish off with an all-over mist of hairspray. Otherwise, I just let it do it's thing. I've asked my friends about it, and they've pretty much all said they've never noticed until I mentioned it.

Swan Maiden
December 17th, 2015, 06:16 PM
That link Arctic posted is really brilliant for those of you that have hair dryers. I can see doing it if one wanted a more polished look.

Frankenstein
December 17th, 2015, 10:38 PM
Thanks everyone for your replies. It does make me feel a bit better to know I'm not the only one with this problem. I actually had the idea of cutting the very ends of these hairs (the parts that flip out) to see if it will help but I'm unsure if it will so I'm not going to experiment with that yet... Then again, I am way too obsessed with the idea of "perfect" hair, so I probably just need to relax about it because it may not look as bad as I think :lol:

Arctic, thanks for that link. I don't have a nozzle for a blow dryer but I'll definitely look into it.

CatsAndCoffee, great idea with the toothbrush. I'm not a fan of hairspray but now that I think about it, it has helped me tame fuzzy root hairs in the past... so it's surely worth a try.

restless
December 18th, 2015, 04:35 AM
Ive always had some frizz because wurly hair, but this summer I noticed there was far more frizz than usual. This was after using my Tangle teezer daily for a couple of months and I figured it might be breakage (I hadnt had a shed so I couldnt see how it would be regrowth). I stopped using it and here I am maybe half a year later and the frizz is back to normal level. Im sad to admit to myself that it was probably the Tangle teezer that caused my fine hair to break, because I really loved using it...

Oil is a good way to tame frizz, I use a single drip of argan oil and it does wonders. Aloe vera works well too.

ebaviisakas
December 18th, 2015, 04:55 AM
I currently have a bunch of really small ones at the top of my head, they cannot be tamed, no matter how much I try. It's interesting that everyone seems to have it, I never notice it on other people but it really bothers me on myself haha. I usually try to get em down with oil but I just end up with way too much oil in my hair while the offending hairs are still standing proud.

Stray_mind
December 18th, 2015, 09:01 AM
Don't get me started on mine :D.. i have tons of these and they form entire strands and these strands like to curl and stick out to all sides when they get some humidity and i happen to work at the job with plenty of humidity going on (car wash).. So i go in all nice and tidy and leave looking like a badly groomed poodle :D. Though i am sort of happy about it too, because it means two things:

1) my waves and wurls are comming back since i gave up henna.
2) my hair will thicken up at some point.

Frankenstein
December 19th, 2015, 08:10 PM
Update: I did end up trimming some of the hairs and I thought it helped, but this morning when I took my hair down I saw that I didn't really get enough of them. I tried John Frieda Frizz Ease and then a light coating of hairspray which seemed to work until I went outside in the wind :rolleyes: At this point I'm going to try a few more products but I don't expect it to work; may just be something I have to quit worrying about, even though it bugs me so bad.

Simsy
December 20th, 2015, 03:40 AM
I have these flyaway bits all over. I have found that a deliberately loose braid or bun tends to make them look a little more styled, like they're supposed to be all over the place. A dash of oil to tame the worst bits and I have a style I can still live with.

Groovy Granny
December 20th, 2015, 10:32 AM
I have the same situation from new growth (YAY), and usually ignore them.
If I am going out somewhere special I may use a teensy bit of mineral oil, but most often I just use my BBB then a spritz of hair spray, and that tames them well.

Ve
December 20th, 2015, 11:07 AM
Sweetie - you're an angel and that is your halo.