PDA

View Full Version : How to tell if a shampoo and conditioner is working for you

Annalouise
December 16th, 2015, 07:56 PM
Hi guys,:)
I was wondering how do you know if a shampoo/conditioner is good for your hair?
Usually I like something at first, but 4-6 weeks later is when I know if my hair is getting drier over time.
Sometimes conditioners provide a lot of slip and you feel like they are "conditioning" but over time the hair
gets more dried out.

So how do you tell if a shampoo/conditioner is good for your hair, and how long does it take to know?:shrug:

Anna

ahall83
December 16th, 2015, 11:57 PM
Have to tried to clarify when your hair starts having those issues? That would be the first thing I tried because a lot of conditioner builds up over time

Nique1202
December 17th, 2015, 04:39 AM
I second the addition of clarifying. I switched to a protein shampoo (I don't need all the protein that's in conditioner, just a little) and about two months later my hair started to tangle and misbehave as if it were dry even when it was thoroughly conditioned and oiled. It turned out it was just protein overload starting, and clarifying every 6-8 weeks takes away the problem for me. The same thing can happen for other stuff, too, not just protein.

If clarifying works, then you have to ask yourself if clarifying once a month worth it to you to be able to use this other shampoo/conditioner, or would you rather go back to how your hair was before and not have to clarify? If clarifying doesn't help then yeah, the product probably doesn't work for you.

lapushka
December 17th, 2015, 06:54 AM
Hi guys,:)
I was wondering how do you know if a shampoo/conditioner is good for your hair?
Usually I like something at first, but 4-6 weeks later is when I know if my hair is getting drier over time.
Sometimes conditioners provide a lot of slip and you feel like they are "conditioning" but over time the hair
gets more dried out.

So how do you tell if a shampoo/conditioner is good for your hair, and how long does it take to know?:shrug:

If your hair is dry, and the shampoo gives you a nicely moisturized scalp - that's great.
If your hair is oily, and the shampoo cleans really well and keeps you oil-free for longer - that's great.

That's the way to tell. That's all a shampoo does.

Now if your conditioner moisturizes well, that's the way to tell.

If it all goes to heck, then do a clarify-wash and start over.

Annalouise
December 17th, 2015, 07:25 AM
Ahall83- clarifying is a good idea.
Nique1202- Yes! I forgot about the protein issue. My hair is sensitive to protein overload. I think that is definitely something in a shampoo/conditioner that overtime, could lead to tangles and lack of manageability. I will do the clarifying and then start up with the name
shampoo/conditioner and see if it fixes the problem.
Lapushka-Yes this shampoo gives me a comfortable scalp so I think it is fine. Where it is not so great is on the ends of my hair. So either its buildup of proteins or something else, or the conditioner is not moisturizing enough. I shall clarify and see what happens.
thanks guys:)

MsPharaohMoan
December 17th, 2015, 10:59 AM
If your hair is dry, and the shampoo gives you a nicely moisturized scalp - that's great.
If your hair is oily, and the shampoo cleans really well and keeps you oil-free for longer - that's great.

Problem solved.

Goatcraft
December 17th, 2015, 11:08 AM
I never seem to stick to the same shampoo and conditioner. Same brand, but I don't use the same 'line'. Right now, I'm using Aveda smooth fusion shampoo and conditioner, but I like to switch between that and the rosemary mint shampoo. I have two others as well. Same with the conditioner. I have a variety depending on how my hair feels. If it's dry, I use a heavy conditioner. If not, I use the light ones. I'm always switching around.

Annalouise
December 17th, 2015, 01:30 PM
That makes sense to me goatcraft. What Aveda conditioner is a heavy conditioner? Or what heavy conditioner do you use?

mwallingford
December 17th, 2015, 02:46 PM
I'm sure this will be the stupidest question ever, but how do you clarify? :scared:

lapushka
December 17th, 2015, 02:48 PM
I'm sure this will be the stupidest question ever, but how do you clarify? :scared:

You just wash with whatever you have available that is a SL(E)S shampoo, one without silicones!

If you can look around for one a bit, Pantene do a clarifying one (clear bottle, navy cap).

Nique1202
December 17th, 2015, 02:49 PM

You get a clarifying shampoo (usually high in sulfates, low in other stuff, preferably something with "deep cleanse" or "weekly use shampoo" or "clarifying" right on the bottle) and instead of just shampooing the scalp and letting the suds run down, you shampoo your whole length and work it in gently to make sure you're stripping everything out of your hair. Usually you'll want to follow this up with a slightly heavier conditioner than usual to restore moisture to the length and some people do deep treatments after clarifying, but that's up to each individual.

mwallingford
December 17th, 2015, 07:36 PM
Thanks for the advice! Here's another question if you don't mind answering- (and sorry if I'm disrupting this thread too much!) Is it possible for your hair to be too hydrated? It sounds silly, but my hair has been shedding more than normal lately and the strands even when freshly brushed sort of hang out in groups (I have no idea if the two problems are related, I just thought I'd mention that). When I put a little bit of baby powder (basically scented cornstarch/dry shampoo) in my hair it became a lot 'puffier'. So is too much moisture ever a problem? I do wash every 4th day and put either coconut oil or sweet almond oil on my length at least 12 hours before the wash.

lapushka
December 18th, 2015, 08:19 AM
I think maybe the baby powder might have something to do with it. I'd clarify a few times and stop putting straight up baby powder in your hair. But that's just me. To be overly hydrated, it takes a lot of moisture!

Annalouise
December 18th, 2015, 11:49 AM
Thanks for the advice! Here's another question if you don't mind answering- (and sorry if I'm disrupting this thread too much!) Is it possible for your hair to be too hydrated? It sounds silly, but my hair has been shedding more than normal lately and the strands even when freshly brushed sort of hang out in groups (I have no idea if the two problems are related, I just thought I'd mention that). When I put a little bit of baby powder (basically scented cornstarch/dry shampoo) in my hair it became a lot 'puffier'. So is too much moisture ever a problem? I do wash every 4th day and put either coconut oil or sweet almond oil on my length at least 12 hours before the wash.

You're not disrupting the thread...ask away!:)
Interesting question.