PDA

View Full Version : Sleep cap for someone with a big head?

turtlelover
December 16th, 2015, 11:50 AM
I am 5 foot 10, and therefore have a larger head than a typical woman, and when I bought a sleep cap, it was way too tight and uncomfortable. Does anyone else not blessed with a little tiny head have a sleep cap that they like, and if so, where did you get it?

Anje
December 16th, 2015, 11:54 AM
My head's on the large side of average (kinda like the rest of me). Keep an eye out for drawstring sleep caps. I had one of those for ages and eventually found the magical spot to tie it where I could pull it on and then have it fit loosely.

Honestly, though, those Stay On Satin ones with the satin band aren't too bad. After the first wash, they loosen up and are pretty good unless I'm having a headache.

TR
December 16th, 2015, 12:39 PM
Does it take long to get used to wearing a sleep cap? I tried satin pillowcases and hated them. I use a cotton sateen which has more slip than plain cotton but that's as slippery as I can go. So when my hair gets longer I probably should try some kind of sleep cap. Just wondering what your experience was when starting out. Any thoughts on what length is good to start using them?

KittyBird
December 16th, 2015, 01:04 PM
I have one from Silkycocoon (https://www.etsy.com/shop/SilkyCocoon) and it fits my big head perfectly! ;)
TR, it did take a few months to get used to it. In the beginning I usually woke up with my hair all over the place and the sleep cap laying on the floor on the other side of the room, but it got better after a while. It takes some trial and error to tie it correctly as well, as it shouldn't be so tight that it's uncomfortable to wear, but it can't be too loose either, because then it will fall off.

Beborani
December 16th, 2015, 01:13 PM
I have these-- they should accomodate any head size I imagine.

http://blensblend.com/Charmeuse-Silk-Sleep-Cap-Wine-15-2211934.htm

TR
December 16th, 2015, 02:07 PM
Thanks Kittybird!

Anje
December 16th, 2015, 02:16 PM
Does it take long to get used to wearing a sleep cap? I tried satin pillowcases and hated them. I use a cotton sateen which has more slip than plain cotton but that's as slippery as I can go. So when my hair gets longer I probably should try some kind of sleep cap. Just wondering what your experience was when starting out. Any thoughts on what length is good to start using them?

I'd say it took me maybe 2 weeks before I stopped waking up to find that I'd ripped the sleep cap off and flung it across the room at some point in the night. (Amazing how well you can wing one of those things in your sleep!) Nowadays, I find I sleep better with it on, because I'm not getting tangled up in my own hair or waking to find my braid wrapped around my neck.

Satin pillowcases didn't work well for me. I really can't tolerate that poly satin on my face, and I found that I'd as often as not end up lying on top of my braid instead of it laying safely atop the pillow. Plus, there's that whole "braid wrapped around the neck" thing. And the braid-tassel-shredding kitty-cat.

Sarahlabyrinth
December 16th, 2015, 02:50 PM
I have one from Adoraballababy and it's great. The elastic is fully encased in the silk and completely adjustable for head size using the ribbon.

TR
December 16th, 2015, 02:53 PM
Thanks Anje! And thanks for the laugh about your stealthy little braid tassel vandal.

Zesty
December 16th, 2015, 05:52 PM
I have one from Adoraballababy and it's great. The elastic is fully encased in the silk and completely adjustable for head size using the ribbon.
This. The adjustable ties are the way to go IMO.

CurlyCap
December 16th, 2015, 07:48 PM
I have a ginormous head plus puffy hair and Adorabellababy sleeping caps were perfect. They cost more, but they'll last forever and real silk is just scads better than polyester to sleep in.

lunasea
December 16th, 2015, 07:53 PM
I have an Adorabellababy sleep cap too. It's so big that I pull it over my eyes at night and use it as a combination hair cap and sleep mask.