PDA

View Full Version : Been awhile I need some hair help!

Scelesta
December 15th, 2015, 12:06 PM
I have no idea whats going on with my hair, since i had my baby six months ago its a disaster! I didnt have a massive shed (thank goodness!), but the texture is weird, its SO dry, the tips are crunchy. I just microtrimmed two weeks ago to get rid of the dry ends, and now the ends are dry again! I cant keep trimming or my hair will never grow. It just feels gross and looks bad to me. It also started tangling bad. I comb it before bed, then wake up to a tangled mess thats so hard to comb.

I dont get alot of time to care for my hair, at most my routine nowdays is shampoo once a week with whatever was on sale/cheap, condition every day/every other day depending on how lazy i'm feeling with suave brand.(its in a green bottle if that helps at all.) I put coconut oil on it daily after i get out of the shower. No heat at all. I just let it air dry.

I'm not sure whats going on with it or how to fix it. I'm planning to buy new shampoo/conditioner on friday just dont know what brand yet. HAS to be cheap, the dollar stuff hates my hair so thats right out, maybe under 7bucks for each? What else should I pick up to try to fix this disaster. My hair IS dyed, but i havent dyed it in like two months and this problem just started up last month.(around the same time my shedding stopped). I'd post a pic but my baby just crawled over and started headbutting me, she clearly doesnt get i'm having a hairmergency lol I'll try to come back and post one later!

Arctic
December 15th, 2015, 12:56 PM
Well, since hair type changes are very common after pregnancy, I'd do a new hair typing. I would also clarify.

lapushka
December 15th, 2015, 01:11 PM
Yes, like Arctic mentioned: clarify! Then use a good thick moisturizing conditioner and detangle well during your wash.

Swan Maiden
December 15th, 2015, 01:17 PM
It could be the coconut oil also.

Knifegill
December 15th, 2015, 01:51 PM
x2 on the coconut oil. Fine when it's hot, but in the cold, it hardens.

Anje
December 15th, 2015, 01:59 PM
Clarifying wouldn't hurt, if you haven't done that lately. Strong shampoo, lather all the way down to the tips of your hair. Maybe even do it twice.

If your green-bottle Suave conditioner is the Aloe & Waterlily, it shouldn't be causing protein problems, so I think we can rule that out. (I use the same stuff, and I get protein problems from the Suave coconut stuff -- I'm pretty sensitive!)

If that's not enough to fix it, I'll agree with the suggestions to swap out the coconut oil. Sometimes it just plain makes ends feel hard and crispy. Try something else. (Among grocery store oils, avocado and sunflower are good. Olive tends to be really heavy, but it does make my hair soft.)

Scelesta
December 16th, 2015, 08:30 AM
thanks ladies!

Guess it ended up not mattering cause i was trimming it with an electric razor having decided to take an inch or two off to get rid of damage and my 6 month old crawled in grabbed my ankle and startled me so bad I jumped and sheared my hair down to the scalp in one section XD Had to go bald to fix it...at least she laughed while i did it. (Lesson learned never assume they are asleep or cant sneak up on you!)

browneyedsusan
December 16th, 2015, 08:58 AM
I was going to chime in, but...

Bald is cute, too!
You can wear lots of neat hats this winter. :)

It's good to "see" you again! :waving:

Scelesta
December 16th, 2015, 09:17 AM
it is! Though it was a shock and i had a hard time with it at first, i'm now LOVING it.(mostly cause now the baby cant pull on it anymore, and i dont have to brush it!) My poor husband was more then surprised when he saw it then laughed so hard at how it happened.

school of fish
December 16th, 2015, 09:26 AM
Oh my! Well that's definitely a sure way to fix the problem you had, haha!!

Your attitude about it is awesome, keep smiling :) :)

MsPharaohMoan
December 16th, 2015, 10:07 AM
Well that escalated quickly! Your 'solution' made me laugh so hard I think I'm off to make a grumpy cat meme: problems with your hair? SHAVE IT.

eta: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=121839&p=3137422&viewfull=1#post3137422 the final product :)

Scelesta
December 16th, 2015, 11:57 AM
Well that escalated quickly! Your 'solution' made me laugh so hard I think I'm off to make a grumpy cat meme: problems with your hair? SHAVE IT.

eta: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=121839&page=110 the final product :)

haha those made me laugh, cause they are so true.

Anje
December 16th, 2015, 11:58 AM
Ack and LOL!

To be honest, I'd probably try the shaved thing myself sometime if I thought it'd look at all good on me (pretty sure it wouldn't). The fuzzy growing stages are so much fun to rub your hands on, I'd probably do it entirely too much.

Scelesta
December 16th, 2015, 11:59 AM
Oh my! Well that's definitely a sure way to fix the problem you had, haha!!

Your attitude about it is awesome, keep smiling :) :)

Yes it was, I only meant to take a couple inches but clearly my daughter had other plans!

I shall keep smiling cause though its a bit chilly i'm liking it. Not going to keep it this short, but its nice while i wait for it to grow back out.

Scelesta
December 16th, 2015, 12:01 PM
Ack and LOL!

To be honest, I'd probably try the shaved thing myself sometime if I thought it'd look at all good on me (pretty sure it wouldn't). The fuzzy growing stages are so much fun to rub your hands on, I'd probably do it entirely too much.

Its so fuzzy feeling and kinda freeing! I'd say the only downside is that in a few months it will be that awkward length i hate so much and was glad to be past!

SwanFeathers
December 16th, 2015, 12:06 PM
Wow. At least you can start fresh and not have to worry about babying damaged hair while you have a real baby to spend time with. Sometimes doing The Big Chop really is the only way to go, and you didn't have to agonize over the decision ;)

Scelesta
December 16th, 2015, 12:10 PM
Wow. At least you can start fresh and not have to worry about babying damaged hair while you have a real baby to spend time with. Sometimes doing The Big Chop really is the only way to go, and you didn't have to agonize over the decision ;)

very true! I was torn about cutting off an inch or 2, going shorter had crossed my mind to get all the color and damage out, but i wasnt ready! Dang child took some initiative and made my mind up for me haha

SwanFeathers
December 16th, 2015, 12:15 PM
You can start a progress thread, I know we would all like to cheer you on and watch it grow

Scelesta
December 16th, 2015, 12:28 PM
You can start a progress thread, I know we would all like to cheer you on and watch it grow

Thats not a bad idea, i'll start one up in a month when I have my first growth shot. As a SAHM mom, with a child who is so amazingly well behaved its frightening i have to much free time and need more things to do!

Groovy Granny
December 18th, 2015, 04:06 PM
O M G :agape:

You have a great attitude...and now will have amazing virgin hair :thumbsup:
Looking forward to progress pics :popcorn:

Zebra Fish
December 19th, 2015, 01:53 AM
Ouch and wow! You really have a great attitude to fix it and take it all so calmly.

Also hoping for the pics and progress thread :)

Scelesta
December 19th, 2015, 07:59 PM
O M G :agape:

You have a great attitude...and now will have amazing virgin hair :thumbsup:
Looking forward to progress pics :popcorn:

Thank you! I'm kinda lookin forward to my virgin hair, I finally figured out why i kept dying it, and well now i dont have any urge to anymore as i fixed the issue! yay!

Ouch and wow! You really have a great attitude to fix it and take it all so calmly.

Also hoping for the pics and progress thread :)

I figure its just hair it'll grow back :) If I got all sad about it it'd do nothing for me and make my little one think she'd done something wrong which she totally didnt! Life happens and i learned a valuable lesson!