PDA

View Full Version : Co-Washing with Cones stopped dry scalp/flaking

LillithTheFirst
December 14th, 2015, 05:26 PM
So I've been having crazy dry scalp/dandruff for months now. MONTHS.
Tried SLS free, natural shampoos, herbal remedies, oiling, biotin, dandruff shampoos, medicated shampoos, scalp massages and nothing worked.
I decided to co-wash with cones because my hair is dry and unmanageable too.
All the scalp flaking and dryness is gone after co-washing twice this week.
I don't really understand it, but if anyone else is having a similar issue maybe try this?
Anyone have similar experiences?

MsPharaohMoan
December 14th, 2015, 05:40 PM
Have you cowashed with non-cones? I have a flakey scalp too and am trying out harsher detergents for the cure... glad you found something that works for you!

LillithTheFirst
December 14th, 2015, 05:42 PM
I've co-washed with non-cones before and it didn't work well for me at all and my hair felt greasy all the time, didn't help with the scalp issue either. It's interesting for sure...

meteor
December 14th, 2015, 06:03 PM
It could very well be that the cone-free conditioner that aggravated your scalp in the past contained some irritating ingredients that complicated the issue, while your new conditioner doesn't have them? :hmm: To be perfectly honest, I find that many cone-free conditioners have a ton of botanicals/plant extracts as a selling point, even though some of those extracts don't yet seem to have significant scientific support in terms of their usefulness when applied topically and many can quickly create build up.

I doubt that only the addition of silicones alone can typicially fix flakey scalp, if it's due to a skin condition: e.g. usually medicated shampoos and anti-fungal agents are needed for things like SD.
But if the flakiness is due to dryness alone, I can see silicones helping. :) After all, many skin moisturizers, skin serums are laden with silicones, as well: they just sit on top, add emollience and provide an inert occlusive permeable barrier, which can be a great thing for dry skin, it's a little bit like mineral oil in that respect. :)
I would be careful with silicones and oily or SD-prone scalps though. ;)

Deborah
December 14th, 2015, 08:05 PM
I'm glad to hear that you found something that works! It doesn't really matter if it worked for others. If it works for your scalp and hair, that it all that matters! Great news!

AutobotsAttack
December 14th, 2015, 09:48 PM
i personally always get conditioner on my scalp when washing for this exact reason. I know to many ladies here, doing that would just cause irritation, or insane oil production overload, but this has really helped my dry scalp issues too. i wonder why. I guess because a silicone or dimethicone is a moisturizer thats heavier than other water based moisturizers, but lighter than an oil.

lapushka
December 15th, 2015, 03:55 AM
It could very well be that the cone-free conditioner that aggravated your scalp in the past contained some irritating ingredients that complicated the issue, while your new conditioner doesn't have them? :hmm: To be perfectly honest, I find that many cone-free conditioners have a ton of botanicals/plant extracts as a selling point, even though some of those extracts don't yet seem to have significant scientific support in terms of their usefulness when applied topically and many can quickly create build up.

I doubt that only the addition of silicones alone can typicially fix flakey scalp, if it's due to a skin condition: e.g. usually medicated shampoos and anti-fungal agents are needed for things like SD.
But if the flakiness is due to dryness alone, I can see silicones helping. :) After all, many skin moisturizers, skin serums are laden with silicones, as well: they just sit on top, add emollience and provide an inert occlusive permeable barrier, which can be a great thing for dry skin, it's a little bit like mineral oil in that respect. :)
I would be careful with silicones and oily or SD-prone scalps though. ;)

Seems like a good explanation! :thumbsup:

I personally would be careful if you do have SD, because that can in the end react to conditioner on the scalp.

But whatever works, works, and it's best to stick to it.

LoneStarfruit
December 15th, 2015, 08:05 AM
So I've been having crazy dry scalp/dandruff for months now. MONTHS.
Tried SLS free, natural shampoos, herbal remedies, oiling, biotin, dandruff shampoos, medicated shampoos, scalp massages and nothing worked.
I decided to co-wash with cones because my hair is dry and unmanageable too.
All the scalp flaking and dryness is gone after co-washing twice this week.
I don't really understand it, but if anyone else is having a similar issue maybe try this?
Anyone have similar experiences?

You sound like me, re: trying everything (including medicated stuff from the dermatologist). Can I ask what you've tried that's working for you? I'd love to give it a go! :o