PDA

View Full Version : Oils, hot or cold?

lapushka
December 14th, 2015, 07:15 AM
Do you sometimes do (cold/hot) oil treatments? As a pre-poo (DT) or as a DC treatment?

I only use oil sparsely after a wash on damp hair, or with the ROOM (rinse-out oil method).

But what do *you* prefer, and do?

Mirabele
December 14th, 2015, 07:37 AM
i do oil treatments as a pre-wash overnight oilings, sometimes hot sometimes cold. I am quite new to this, but these oilings made a huge change on how my hair looks and feels now. 3-4 months with oiling and my breakage stopped and my hair grows faster and there is a lot of new growth.
i also use some oil (very very little drop) as a leave-in on my length, once or twice every day.

sarahthegemini
December 14th, 2015, 07:38 AM
I don't use oils regularly on my hair any more but I will occasionally put on a bit of coconut oil a few hours before a wash. In this case, I put it on dry hair at room temperature.

TR
December 14th, 2015, 07:39 AM
I'm brand-new to any successful oil treatment, and it's still too soon to call it a success but...

I do cold castor oil treatment, massaged into the scalp and left overnight before a wash. At my short length the oil gets all the way to the ends. I use salicylic acid shampoo with sulfates to wash and I can't use conditioner (makes my SD crazy). So far this routine results in a super clean calm scalp, and my hair is softer yet still seems to have body. Hard to tell for sure with a pixie, but it's definitely not plastered to my head. I hope this keeps working for me; I'm interested to see how it all goes when my hair gets longer.

lapushka
December 14th, 2015, 07:46 AM
I'm brand-new to any successful oil treatment, and it's still too soon to call it a success but...

I do cold castor oil treatment, massaged into the scalp and left overnight before a wash. At my short length the oil gets all the way to the ends. I use salicylic acid shampoo with sulfates to wash and I can't use conditioner (makes my SD crazy). So far this routine results in a super clean calm scalp, and my hair is softer yet still seems to have body. Hard to tell for sure with a pixie, but it's definitely not plastered to my head. I hope this keeps working for me; I'm interested to see how it all goes when my hair gets longer.

I have SD as well, but I have no issues with using it ears down. Of course when you're pixie length this is hard to do - I mean, you can't as you don't have the length for it. But once it gets longer, it might be worth a shot (and you'll probably need the conditioning benefits as well to be able to just detangle).

Kwantslonghair
December 14th, 2015, 07:50 AM
My hair likes Argon oil. I use just a little on length after washing and I use some on about the bottom 2 inches every night. Once about every 6 weeks I oil all hair and scalp and leave over night. I can't do less than every 6 weeks as it leaves it limp and sticky

TR
December 14th, 2015, 07:54 AM
I have SD as well, but I have no issues with using it ears down. Of course when you're pixie length this is hard to do - I mean, you can't as you don't have the length for it. But once it gets longer, it might be worth a shot (and you'll probably need the conditioning benefits as well to be able to just detangle).

I've tried conditioner on hair as long as BSL, and even on just the bottom inch or two of hair I couldn't make it work. No matter how well I rinse, as soon as the ends get anywhere near my head in an updo I start to have problems. My hair is super slippery though, and I have zero detangling problems even at BSL with no conditioner.

lapushka
December 14th, 2015, 08:44 AM
I've tried conditioner on hair as long as BSL, and even on just the bottom inch or two of hair I couldn't make it work. No matter how well I rinse, as soon as the ends get anywhere near my head in an updo I start to have problems. My hair is super slippery though, and I have zero detangling problems even at BSL with no conditioner.

Oh in that case. Are you sure the SD is under control then? Because when mine is under control (no itchies, no flakes, no nothing) then I can have the ends touch my scalp just fine. It's just smearing conditioner on my head (or oil) that doesn't work (at all).

TR
December 14th, 2015, 09:05 AM
Oh in that case. Are you sure the SD is under control then? Because when mine is under control (no itchies, no flakes, no nothing) then I can have the ends touch my scalp just fine. It's just smearing conditioner on my head (or oil) that doesn't work (at all).

You may be on to something there. I didn't stumble on the salicylic acid every 2-3 days thing until about six months ago. My hair was only APL at the time and I was already starting to cut it back in stages to pixie. So I never have had longer hair with fully controlled SD. I'll have to experiment with conditioner when my hair gets longer.

JustPam
December 14th, 2015, 09:35 AM
I don't use oil as much as I probably should, but I sometimes just use a couple drops of grapeseed on my ends as a leave in, just warmed in my hands, seems to work well for me, unless I've been using cones, then it goes a bit strange haha.

parkmikii
December 14th, 2015, 10:25 AM
I use them only from room temperature since I can't be bothered to make pots oily just for a treatment and I wouldn't like to fry my hands or hair in case I make it too hot XD
Usually I put a little bit of oil(argan, almond, though lately I just use a drop or 2 of avocado oil) on damp ends after washing, this seems to seal the moisture in just well :)

vpatt
December 14th, 2015, 10:49 AM
You may be on to something there. I didn't stumble on the salicylic acid every 2-3 days thing until about six months ago. My hair was only APL at the time and I was already starting to cut it back in stages to pixie. So I never have had longer hair with fully controlled SD. I'll have to experiment with conditioner when my hair gets longer.

Salicylic acid on hair? I thought it was for eating off corns and warts.......maybe I am thinking of the wrong thing?

Nadine <3
December 14th, 2015, 10:54 AM
Salicylic acid on hair? I thought it was for eating off corns and warts.......maybe I am thinking of the wrong thing?

Salicylic acid is a chemical exfoliant. It's in a lot of acne washes. I use it on skin that has been waxed to avoid ingrown hairs :)

As for the oil, my hair doesn't care warm or cold it soaks it all in. As long as it's not coconut. My hair likes it in the summer only but I hardly use it because I think it stinks. Right now I'm experimenting with avocado oil and cocoa butter to see if my hair likes them.

Platzhalter
December 14th, 2015, 11:06 AM
Cold, most of the time... I may try one of those hot oil treatments, but just using cold seems more convenient.

vpatt
December 14th, 2015, 11:34 AM
Thanks Nadine, it is the same stuff (thanks Mr. Google) I used once to eat away a corn on my toe. It just sounds odd that it could be skin friendly. But I guess it is used differently.

lapushka
December 14th, 2015, 11:35 AM

Okidoki! :thumbsup: :D

chen bao jun
December 14th, 2015, 01:17 PM
oil doesn't do much for me cold, I'm a lo-po. But then, nothing does.
I can seal with a heavy oil after washing and putting on conditioner, but its not really going INTO my hair then if you know what I mean. Just keeping the moisture from coming right out. To get really actually moisturized, I need heat and then I need to close the cuticles over it afterwards (cold water rinse, with acid of some sort)

littlestarface
December 14th, 2015, 01:29 PM
I always use oil warm n then use a heat cap for it to actually work in my hair, my hair is to sealed tight so I have to open the cuticles. I still use oil after my wash as well.

Upside Down
December 14th, 2015, 01:32 PM
I like to warm up all sorts of stuff. Sometimes oil, sometimes I mix condishioner, honey and oil and warm those up.

It always feels super nice afterwards.

That cap that heats up your head is on my wish list!

Zebra Fish
December 14th, 2015, 02:12 PM
Mostly cold. As pre-poo (instead of conditioner in CWC) and few drops after washing on lower third of hair.

TR
December 14th, 2015, 06:41 PM

Some dandruff/itchy scalp shampoos contain salicylic acid. Selsun Blue Naturals is the line I use (not to be confused with the other lines of Selsun Blue which have selenium sulfide as the active ingredient). Acne and seborrheic dermatitis can overlap, which means some people with SD can get SD relief from some acne medications. I happen to be one whose acne and SD both respond to salicylic acid, though my experience is by no means universal. Shampoo and face wash typically have only 2-3% salicylic acid whereas wart treatments are much more concentrated.

-Fern
December 14th, 2015, 06:41 PM
:happydance: Oils.... Oils... :happydance:

The best thing I have learned on LHC is how to use oils in different ways. My hair was NEVER soft before, partly because of a lack of moisture, but oils seem to have been the magic key for me. For the past 9 months or so, my hair has been LOVING them. And I'm aware that that might change....because bodies are weird... But in the meantime, I am loving me some oils. To be clear, I'm using the oil to seal in moisture, not to cure a moisture issue. So I still do SMT's about once every two weeks.

The Rinse-Out Oil method is my favorite way to use oils year-round, but dry cold winter weather has called for me to step it up a bit. I also apply a few drops of oil to hair from the ears down when my hair is damp.

To spoil my hair, applying coconut milk to damp hair and then wearing it like a deep treatment has made my hair gloriously soft. This will leave a faintly oily residue, similar to using coconut oil. I used room temp coconut milk, then wrapped a warm wet towel around my head and reheated the towel as needed. A little coconut milk winds up going a long way, so you may as well make a nice curry with the rest. :yumm: Next time I do this, I may also mix in some conditioner to thicken it up and make it easier to apply.

I also did a hot oil treatment on Saturday (hot as in, maybe 100*, which is still cooler than my shower water), but that was more to spoil myself than to spoil my hair. It felt very luxurious and relaxing. I used a whole 1/2 oz bottle of oil, which is pretty absurd, but shhhh... I let it soak in my hair as I took a hot bath and read a good book. Then I washed out as much as I could with shampoo and conditioner, and I kept my still-oily hair braided through Sunday. Washed again gently last night, and my hair has been really nice and soft today and doesn't look over-oiled.

The down side to using oils regularly is that your hair may appear darker, even if it's not over-oiled.

spidermom
December 14th, 2015, 10:51 PM
I'd say warm because I massage the oil between my palms before applying to my hair. I wait until my scalp area gets oily and ready for a wash, then I'll oil the length, braid, and wash my hair the next day or at least an hour or so later to give the oil time to work its magic - over night being preferable.

JustPam
December 15th, 2015, 05:12 AM
I also did a hot oil treatment on Saturday (hot as in, maybe 100*, which is still cooler than my shower water), but that was more to spoil myself than to spoil my hair. It felt very luxurious and relaxing. I used a whole 1/2 oz bottle of oil, which is pretty absurd, but shhhh... I let it soak in my hair as I took a hot bath and read a good book. Then I washed out as much as I could with shampoo and conditioner, and I kept my still-oily hair braided through Sunday. Washed again gently last night, and my hair has been really nice and soft today and doesn't look over-oiled.

The down side to using oils regularly is that your hair may appear darker, even if it's not over-oiled.

I just about choked on my coffee when I read that, then I read the next bit and remembered that Fahrenheit exists...

reilly0167
December 15th, 2015, 05:39 AM
I always use my olive oil and honey mixture room temp. Apply to hair put plastic cap on and my terry turban and let it sit for a few hours..using the natural heat from my head....result? Super shiney soft hair..I recommend it for curly girls..since keeping curls moisturize is a must ..happy hair happy me=)

ChloeDharma
December 15th, 2015, 07:06 AM
I use a variety of oils. If it is liquid at room temperature then I just use it straight away warming it by rubbing between my palms. If I'm using an oil that has herb extracts in coconut oil then I warm it to body temperature or heat it on a radiator before use so that it's liquid and can be poured out.

Stars
December 15th, 2015, 07:40 AM
I do a little of all of that, depending on my hair and my mood (whether I feel up to doing it). Most days I do a cold or regular oiling of the hair and scalp...about 2-3 times a week. Every 2-3 weeks I will do a warm/hot oil treatment and put on an electric hair cap or trap heat with a plastic cap and towel. Pretty much every wash I will pre-oil or pre-treat with oil...I haven't done the ROOM in a long time, but it is something I may revisit soon. I do apply a light coating of oil to my hair after a wash while it is damp. It helps with detangling and locks in moisture (LCO/S method). I do the oil last as that seems to work better for my hair (S=serum...I add that as the last step on top of oil if my hair has been especially dry).

Stars
December 15th, 2015, 07:44 AM
:happydance: Oils.... Oils... :happydance:

The best thing I have learned on LHC is how to use oils in different ways. My hair was NEVER soft before, partly because of a lack of moisture, but oils seem to have been the magic key for me. For the past 9 months or so, my hair has been LOVING them. And I'm aware that that might change....because bodies are weird... But in the meantime, I am loving me some oils. To be clear, I'm using the oil to seal in moisture, not to cure a moisture issue. So I still do SMT's about once every two weeks.

The Rinse-Out Oil method is my favorite way to use oils year-round, but dry cold winter weather has called for me to step it up a bit. I also apply a few drops of oil to hair from the ears down when my hair is damp.

To spoil my hair, applying coconut milk to damp hair and then wearing it like a deep treatment has made my hair gloriously soft. This will leave a faintly oily residue, similar to using coconut oil. I used room temp coconut milk, then wrapped a warm wet towel around my head and reheated the towel as needed. A little coconut milk winds up going a long way, so you may as well make a nice curry with the rest. :yumm: Next time I do this, I may also mix in some conditioner to thicken it up and make it easier to apply.

Sounds like what I do sometimes. My hot water is a good 140-150 degrees Fahrenheit...I like to put my bottle in a bowl of hot water and then pour it on my hair. It is literally dripping with oil (like the Indian Champi videos show on YouTube). I apply a plastic cap and towel (body heat) too. Doing it while soaking in a hot bath is sooo relaxing! I always wear my hair up so I don't really mind if it is still a bit oily!

Jadestorm
December 15th, 2015, 08:34 AM
I love using oil on my hair, especially really drenching my hair in it and letting it sit for at least a few hours if I can (sometimes it's only half an hour though, and sometimes I leave it in overnight). I always wash and condition my hair after oiling. I used to mainly use oil cold, but I've been doing more and more hot oil treatments and loving it, especially in fall and winter.